The BRODENTS! Rodent Enthusiast Thread!

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

What kinds of rodents do you own?

Chinchilla/s
5%
Degu/s
2%
Gerbil/s
6%
Guinea Pig/s
16%
Hamster/s
18%
Mouse/mice
8%
Rat/s
20%
None :c
20%
None, but I'm getting some soon!
6%

Total votes : 2028

Re: The BRODENTS! Rodent Enthusiast Thread!

Postby Kat » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:23 am

I was given a Petco gift card for Christmas. I spent some of it already on some mouse stuff (grass hiding house and a tiny hammock). Thomas loves both. He looks so cute in the hammock. I wan't sure if he would actually use it, but he does! ^^

I'm really worried about my rats, though. I posted on here a while back about my two baby ratties, who are quite grown now, but still sneezing. I took them to the vet's about a month ago and was prescribed drops to put into their noses (gentsmicin sulfate), but it hasn't seemed to help. It kind of helped for a few weeks, but today they are sneezing terribly. I think that I'm going to have to take them in again, because I don't know what is causing their sneezing and I'm quite upset. ;;
Kat

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby meerkat boi. » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:32 am

Kat wrote:I was given a Petco gift card for Christmas. I spent some of it already on some mouse stuff (grass hiding house and a tiny hammock). Thomas loves both. He looks so cute in the hammock. I wan't sure if he would actually use it, but he does! ^^

I'm really worried about my rats, though. I posted on here a while back about my two baby ratties, who are quite grown now, but still sneezing. I took them to the vet's about a month ago and was prescribed drops to put into their noses (gentsmicin sulfate), but it hasn't seemed to help. It kind of helped for a few weeks, but today they are sneezing terribly. I think that I'm going to have to take them in again, because I don't know what is causing their sneezing and I'm quite upset. ;;

Anything that could cause allergies?

┏━►►━━━━━━━┓
this is a wip
┖━━━━━━━◄◄━┚
↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑

meerkat boi.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby MoonfallTheFox » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:43 am

Kat wrote:I was given a Petco gift card for Christmas. I spent some of it already on some mouse stuff (grass hiding house and a tiny hammock). Thomas loves both. He looks so cute in the hammock. I wan't sure if he would actually use it, but he does! ^^

What is your bedding? Have you tried switching it?
Moonfall // He/Him // ©
"No one deserves my world quite like you do
And it's true, I hate everything but you."
Amigo The Devil
Gif by BronzeHalo
MoonfallTheFox

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Kat » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:56 am

MoonfallTheFox wrote:What is your bedding? Have you tried switching it?

I used to use fleece bedding, but switched the regular non-colorful carefresh, which I change out at least twice a week.

d. frost wrote:Anything that could cause allergies?

Well, their food has corn in it (which I've heard that some rats can have an allergy to), but I do my very best to pick out all of the corn before feeding it to them. Could it still be the problem?

Their cage is a seven level wire custom that I built for them. The room that their kept in is warm. Around 75 degrees fahrenheit and mildly humid due to the tropical aquariums which are also in the same room. Also within the same room are a tarantula, a scorpion, a mouse, and sometimes a small dog. I don't know if they could have allergies to any of these other pets? It would just be very difficult to move them elsewhere within the house because I also have two cats (who I don't allow in the room that the rats and other small animals are currently in).
Kat

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Kisiel » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:06 am

Kat wrote:
MoonfallTheFox wrote:What is your bedding? Have you tried switching it?

I used to use fleece bedding, but switched the regular non-colorful carefresh, which I change out at least twice a week.

d. frost wrote:Anything that could cause allergies?

Well, their food has corn in it (which I've heard that some rats can have an allergy to), but I do my very best to pick out all of the corn before feeding it to them. Could it still be the problem?

Their cage is a seven level wire custom that I built for them. The room that their kept in is warm. Around 75 degrees fahrenheit and mildly humid due to the tropical aquariums which are also in the same room. Also within the same room are a tarantula, a scorpion, a mouse, and sometimes a small dog. I don't know if they could have allergies to any of these other pets? It would just be very difficult to move them elsewhere within the house because I also have two cats (who I don't allow in the room that the rats and other small animals are currently in).

Care fresh is terrible, I wouldn't use it even if given to me for free. Fleece isn't really suitable either. You should look into shavings, klin dried and dust extracted are perfectly safe. You can buy big bales intended for horses which works out super cheap and will last you forever.

Dried corn is a problem if you're in the US, if I remember correctly it's due to fungus issues. It's very unlikely that the rats are allergic to other animals. Are they otherwise acting fine? Any lethargy or discharge?
Stay positive.

Kisiel

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby meerkat boi. » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:20 am

my dad keeps throwing alive baby MICE into the bin.

like one that my dog almost killed was suffering and I told my dad to just end its suffering he threw it into the bin. :/ it was still alive.

yesterday a mouse we rescued from my sisters room into the bin.

And this morning he threw another one into the bin.

He has to stop.

The worst thing is, the one from this morning was put in the bin where the binmen were emptying it out into the truck.
    my dad has to stop.

┏━►►━━━━━━━┓
this is a wip
┖━━━━━━━◄◄━┚
↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑

meerkat boi.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Kat » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:53 am

Kisiel wrote:Care fresh is terrible, I wouldn't use it even if given to me for free. Fleece isn't really suitable either. You should look into shavings, klin dried and dust extracted are perfectly safe. You can buy big bales intended for horses which works out super cheap and will last you forever.

Dried corn is a problem if you're in the US, if I remember correctly it's due to fungus issues. It's very unlikely that the rats are allergic to other animals. Are they otherwise acting fine? Any lethargy or discharge?

Oh, wow. I was always told that carefresh was one of the better kinds of bedding. I'll definitely have to make a switch!

d. frost wrote:
    my dad keeps throwing alive baby MICE into the bin.

like one that my dog almost killed was suffering and I told my dad to just end its suffering he threw it into the bin. :/ it was still alive.

yesterday a mouse we rescued from my sisters room into the bin.

And this morning he threw another one into the bin.

He has to stop.

The worst thing is, the one from this morning was put in the bin where the binmen were emptying it out into the truck.
    my dad has to stop.

Can't you stop him? Just take the mice out of the bin and put them outside? I mean, or you could try to explain to him that what he's doing could be considered animal abuse. There are also wildlife rescues that you could bring the babies to, depending on where you live. Either way, he probably isn't going to stop unless you do something about it or have a talk with him. Wild mice in the house is certainly a problem, but one that can be taken care of in far more humane ways. Heck, I'd even consider snap traps to be more humane than tossing them into bins to either starve or be crushed by garbage trucks (even though I myself would never use snap traps either).
Kat

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby a snoozing skerple » Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:55 pm

Some stores sell small outlet devices that emit a constant high pitched sound meant to repel rodents. It's only faintly audible to people so hypothetically if you had enough of them you could block them off from each room. If the grown mice aren't comfortable in your house, they won't be making more babies there.

I really don't think that you're going to be able to talk him out of that. If he's doing that to live animals then he's not going to care about whatever bad label the behavior comes with. Animal abuse charges are meager at most, and you can't teach a grown adult empathy if they've gotten this far into life without picking up on it - especially not if they're an older family figure who's more likely to attribute your disapproval to your age or some sort of phase than to the possibility that you might know anything more than they do.
I'd recommend you be prepared for the likelihood that he's not going to help and you're probably going to have to learn to work around him. Get more involved in finding them before he does, find a way to recover the ones he gets to, etc.
a snoozing skerple

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby meerkat boi. » Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:15 pm

a winking skeever wrote:Some stores sell small outlet devices that emit a constant high pitched sound meant to repel rodents. It's only faintly audible to people so hypothetically if you had enough of them you could block them off from each room. If the grown mice aren't comfortable in your house, they won't be making more babies there.

I really don't think that you're going to be able to talk him out of that. If he's doing that to live animals then he's not going to care about whatever bad label the behavior comes with. Animal abuse charges are meager at most, and you can't teach a grown adult empathy if they've gotten this far into life without picking up on it - especially not if they're an older family figure who's more likely to attribute your disapproval to your age or some sort of phase than to the possibility that you might know anything more than they do.
I'd recommend you be prepared for the likelihood that he's not going to help and you're probably going to have to learn to work around him. Get more involved in finding them before he does, find a way to recover the ones he gets to, etc.

Thanks.
I'm just a little over my teens tho..
Yeah ill tell my dad to stop and maybe we can work something out.

┏━►►━━━━━━━┓
this is a wip
┖━━━━━━━◄◄━┚
↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑

meerkat boi.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Kat » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:47 am

So, small update.

I switched to aspen bedding rather than carefresh. Crossing my fingers that the sneezing will clear up as a result. ;v;
Kat

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me