Cat Chat 2

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Cat Chat 2

Postby Lepisma » Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:43 pm

365 wrote:Can anybody help me with my kittens age? When we got him he was malnourished so it was hard to tell at that point. He is rather big and when I mean big, like giant. He is around 12 pounds and he still has some baby teeth left.
laying
burrito
laying on his back with his mouth open

Seconding what Lunarsnow has said, with one exception: deciduous incisors (the baby teeth in the front, between the canines) will all be replaced by their permanent counterparts long before the adult canines have finished erupting, so their size does not matter in this case, as the adult canines are fully descended.

I keep a chart similar to this one handy at work because I have a hard time remembering certain points of the timeline. Note, the "period of eruption" indicates when the teeth are usually first seen.

Adult canines tend to erupt around 4-5 months, be halfway down by 5 - 5 & 1/2 months, and fully erupted by 6 months.
Malnourishment can also cause teeth to erupt late in some cases.

With all that in mind, I'd say your kitty is definitely over 6 months and probably closer to 8-12 months given that he's 12 pounds (average adult is around 10 pounds and most don't exceed 12 unless they are a large breed or obese - although it's hard to fully assess his body condition in your photos).
Lepisma

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby woospuss » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:31 pm

Taking Ruff to work with me tomorrow for possible x-rays. The poor boy developed another abscess in his cheek a few days ago, the third one in that spot in the last 6 months, with a good amount of pus drawn out of it each time... So we are hoping if we take some x-rays we can see if he has a claw or something in there that keeps making abscesses and we can take it out! Kinda nervous about him possibly going under anaesthetic, I mean as a vet nurse I have helped with this hundred of times but it is going to be so different when its my own animal! Saying that, I will probably want to do everything (place catheter, monitor, wake up) as I feel since he is my cat, he is my responsibility!
woospuss

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby MinYoongiJjangJjang » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:31 pm

I have 3 cats!
MinYoongiJjangJjang

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Comrade » Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:56 am

I have 2 cats. My oldest cat just turned 25 in november and hes been deaf for 7 years. I love him to death, I really do, but he is super vocal and lately I've been finding him super annoying. The vet tells me deaf cats tend to be more vocal, but it depends on the cat. He has always ate a dry food diet, however for the past 3 years hes just been eating off of our plates solely. He still has teeth (all except 1) and is still fully capable of eating the dry diet. He just refuses to. He also refuses to eat wet cat food. I've probably tried every brand, flavor and texture.

Is there anyway I can get him to eat dry food again?

~ ☾ - she/her - usa - INFP - ☽ ~

~ During the school year I am slow replying to PMs and trades ~
Comrade

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby .Coffee » Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:45 am

ImageImage

Top: my cat, Ruby
Bottom: my brothers' cat, Joe

I love how you can tell their personalities from these pictures, lol.

Ruby is about 13 years old now and she's always been very vocal and particular. She spends her days lounging around and sleeping or following me around and meowing at me for some reason.

Joe is about 7 and he likes to sleep outside and roll around in the dirt. He's not too smart and he only has one working eye, but we love him anyway.

Both of them were sort of rescues? Ruby was an orphaned kitten who we got from Petco when a shelter was having an adoption event there. She was my 8th birthday present. We found Joe on the side of the road with a swollen eye and covered in fleas. He never really recovered from the eye but believe you me, he doesn't know the difference. ♥ They're also both outdoor-indoor kitties but they don't really go far.
☧ Catholic | ISFJ | Toddler mom

I pop on here every once in a while but I'm not super active.
.Coffee

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Skysong » Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:05 am

I woke up today to see a text from my fiance saying his 20 year old cat has finally passed away.

It started with a "He jumped off of something and hurt himself." to he's just laying in a corner in the sun to, he's not eating or drinking at all.

This went on for about a week or two, progressively getting worse until he finally passed in his sleep last night around 2-3 in the morning when my fiance got back to his house.
Skysong

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby mawsoleum » Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:25 pm

out of curiosity, does anyone else have experience with cats with cerebellar hypoplasia, particularly older cats? my kid mhysa has it, and though i'm used to it by now i'm just curious if older cats with the condition have any special needs or anything

toyhouse
𓆩⟡𓆪𓆩⟡𓆪𓆩⟡𓆪
want wl sitting cats
𓆩⟡𓆪𓆩⟡𓆪𓆩⟡𓆪
song of the month

hello!
you can call me grim or maw

they/them
post hardcore/hardcore/deathcore/metalcore obsessed
adult member
disc: mawsoleum
pfp: wafflecat /// sig: thecynicalhound
mawsoleum

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ricerabbiit » Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:55 pm

Comrade wrote:I have 2 cats. My oldest cat just turned 25 in november and hes been deaf for 7 years. I love him to death, I really do, but he is super vocal and lately I've been finding him super annoying. The vet tells me deaf cats tend to be more vocal, but it depends on the cat. He has always ate a dry food diet, however for the past 3 years hes just been eating off of our plates solely. He still has teeth (all except 1) and is still fully capable of eating the dry diet. He just refuses to. He also refuses to eat wet cat food. I've probably tried every brand, flavor and texture.

Is there anyway I can get him to eat dry food again?

well, i'm not a cat owner but, maybe he likes the foods on your plates more than those foods? i mean is it okay for him to eat off your plates? is the food on your plates unhealthy for him? because if it is, stop. but, however, try mixing the food on your plates with the dry food maybe?
thats what i do with my bunny.
spooky time
ricerabbiit

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby friends dønt lie. » Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:28 am

here, have some pictures of my kitten to bless your christmas eve
    x1x x2x x3x x4x
𝕪𝕖𝕒𝕙...

☁ ☁ ☁

she;her - june 29th
hey there, i'm abby! if
you couldn't tell already, i'm
super obsessed with
stranger things. i also
love it, starbucks,
and pretty much anything
your basic teenage girl
would like. anyway, feel free
to pm me or something whenever,
xxxxx i'd love to chat! xxxxx

coding shop

𝕔𝕣𝕒𝕫𝕪 𝕥𝕠𝕘𝕖𝕥𝕙𝕖𝕣
friends dønt lie.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby mandalorian » Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:08 am

Skysong wrote:I woke up today to see a text from my fiance saying his 20 year old cat has finally passed away.

It started with a "He jumped off of something and hurt himself." to he's just laying in a corner in the sun to, he's not eating or drinking at all.

This went on for about a week or two, progressively getting worse until he finally passed in his sleep last night around 2-3 in the morning when my fiance got back to his house.

i'm so sorry to hear that. losses in the family are always tough. i lost my cat of 10 years, star, at the very end of june and i'm still grieving. she passed in her sleep as well. they both went peacefully, and they're definitely in a better place where they wont be hurt anymore. but it's always sad.

still on the topic of star, but not as bad, i really want another cat. my two cats right now aren't very cuddly cats, and my cat star was extremely cuddly and loved me with her whole heart. i'm just afraid if i get another cat, i'll feel like i'm replacing star. but it's been six months so i feel like i should be over it by now. did anyone have the same experience?
mandalorian

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me