Cat Chat 2

Share your real pet photos and stories, tell us about your fav species, promote wildlife causes, or discuss animal welfare

Re: Cat Chat 2

Postby iconerfatty » Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:00 pm

Harlow. wrote:
Is Tabby A breed?
I've Always Called My cat A 'blue Tabby"

no that is a coat pattern
x
┎━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┒

She/Her ║ March 10
Hi there! I'm iconerfatty and you can call me
Icon or Iconer for short. I make a lot of silly
typos so I'm sorry if my message doesn't
really make sense. I collect CS bunnies and
I'm 33 away till I have all of them! I live in
Canada C: I'm also quite fluent in Chinese.
©

┖━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┚
x

iconerfatty

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Lunarsnow » Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:09 pm

No, tabby is a marking/pattern not a breed. Basically if the forehead has that little "M" marking it's got the tabby gene!

And it comes in different varieties besides just being a tabby, like mackerel, spotted, classic, and ticked!

Mackerel is the most common and is what you probably visualize when thinking of a tabby cat. The classic tabby is the kind with the thick, swirly stripes. Ticked tabbies typically do not have any noticable stripes except for faint ones on the face for purebreeds whereas mixed breeds typically have darker facial stripes and ones on the legs and tail plus a "necklace". Spotted tabbies are, well spotted!

And there's also the beautiful tabbies that have sprung up from breeding with wildcats like rosetted tabbies and braided tabbies!
Last edited by Lunarsnow on Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Random cat spotlight <3
Lunarsnow

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Crossflare » Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:11 pm

Lepisma wrote:
Rainbow Dash wrote:I've never seen an American Shorthair but I have seen an Oriental Shorthair kitten. Reeeeally chatty, talked her little head off the whole night and especially if we walked by without petting her.

I don't believe I've seen one in person, either. British Shorthairs and Scottish Folds seem to be more common in this area, as far as that body/face shape type of cat go.
The "Oriental" type breeds tend to be really chatty, haha. We used to have a Siamese who would board and you could hear him from any point in the clinic, non-stop, day or night.
Bengals, too, seem to like to talk for some reason.

I have seen one in person my cat Morty his father was a purebred pedigreed one with papers his mother a siamese with papers. which is why i thought the cats were american shorthairs O-O cause they looked like like them XD
Crossflare

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby cornspurrd. » Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:03 am

could anybody help me figure out what My Leo Is??
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-G4wW ... t_id%253D1
Smile and wave...
cornspurrd.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Lepisma » Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:09 am

Harlow. wrote:
could anybody help me figure out what My Leo Is??
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-G4wW ... t_id%253D1

I’d call him a domestic shorthair, unless you know something about his lineage that says otherwise. It’s fairly uncommon to find a cat somewhere other than from a breeder that has a definitive breed.
Color-wise, he looks like a gray mackerel tabby. I’m guessing 5-7 months old? He’s a cutie!
Lepisma

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby cornspurrd. » Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:23 am

Okay! Thank You!
He's 6 months Old <3
Smile and wave...
cornspurrd.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ChompGod » Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:00 am

Does anyone know how to convert a street cat to an inside cat?

I don't want my kitty going back outside. She got into a fight and she had some abscesses. She's better now, but we're taking her back to the vet for a checkup, maybe shots and she's gonna get spayed after her wounds heal. She's just too little to fight. She only weights 7 pounds while my male cat weights 11 (he did not attack her).

We did give her away but she came back to our house. The guy we gave her to only lived a block away lol! After she did that, we knew there was no way we could get rid of her.
ChompGod

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Thalassic » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:41 am

Gh0stYeen wrote:
Does anyone know how to convert a street cat to an inside cat?

I don't want my kitty going back outside. She got into a fight and she had some abscesses. She's better now, but we're taking her back to the vet for a checkup, maybe shots and she's gonna get spayed after her wounds heal. She's just too little to fight. She only weights 7 pounds while my male cat weights 11 (he did not attack her).

We did give her away but she came back to our house. The guy we gave her to only lived a block away lol! After she did that, we knew there was no way we could get rid of her.

The main thing is providing enough stimulation and fun activities for her to do inside.
Since shes lived outside all of her life, you can imagine how most of her activities would be associated with that, so just find things she likes to do and replicate them inside. If she liked climbing, buy her one of those multi level cat trees, or build something similar by stacking cardboard boxes and cutting holes in them for her to navigate trough. Find out what kinds of toys she likes and get her those, play with her, tie the toys to high surfaces to make them dangle and make her want to reach or jump for them. And whenever you play with her, give her lots of treats so that she associates being inside with good feelings. A lot of cats love to watch birds, so you could try freeing up a window for her, or letting her outside on a balcony if you have one (but you should still watch her as she might jump or fall off from it), or even create a "cattio" for her, if your family has the money/space to do so.

And since it's likely she will still ask to be let outside, you could try leash training her. There's a lot of guides on how to do that online, so I wont get into details, but that might be something she could enjoy!
xxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxx
x
x
x
x
xxxx

x
x
x
x
xxxxxxxx

x
x
xxx

x
xxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Zan | NB | they/them | pan/ace
xxxxxx lgbtq+ | atheist | satanist | artist xxxxxx
sig art ; avatar art
xxxxxxxxxx
x
x
x
x
xxxx

x
x
x
x

xxxxxxxx
x
x
xxxxxx

x

xxxxxxx
Thalassic

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby eolian » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:11 am

Can anybody help me with my kittens age? When we got him he was malnourished so it was hard to tell at that point. He is rather big and when I mean big, like giant. He is around 12 pounds and he still has some baby teeth left.
laying
burrito
laying on his back with his mouth open
eolian

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Lunarsnow » Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:02 pm

365 wrote:Can anybody help me with my kittens age? When we got him he was malnourished so it was hard to tell at that point. He is rather big and when I mean big, like giant. He is around 12 pounds and he still has some baby teeth left.
laying
burrito
laying on his back with his mouth open

It's a little hard to pin an age to cats once they grow out of kittenhood. From the first pic my first thought was around a year old. But that's just a literal guess haha. He just looks young in general to me so my oldest guess would be 2 for him at most.

Hm, in the teeth picture all I can really see are his canines and those look like adult teeth. They are very white and clean looking so he's definitely a young cat. The teeth in between the canines are pretty small, but they're also not very clear in the picture plus those teeth are always small even in adults. If he really does still have some baby teeth though then he's probably between 7 months and a year old. I'd lean towards 9 month to a year though since he seems to have grown into his adult size and weight. If you think he's still growing then he may be closer to the 7 month mark.
Random cat spotlight <3
Lunarsnow

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me