CS Rarity List [WIP] - status update on page 75

Discussion about the Pets, Items, Dress-ups, Events, Site, Forum or other CS features!

CS Rarity List [WIP] - status update on page 75

Postby nickjr » Mon May 08, 2017 7:41 pm

This thread and project is a work in progress. Thank you for understanding.

January 18, 2021 status update on page 75

List (eventually) | Post 2 | FAQ | Discord Server

Purpose:
    The purpose of this project is to create a rarity list based on the number of pets released in the game, rather than using trades or rarity changes (alone) to determine the rarity of a pet. This thread is used for the discussion, planning, brainstorming, and posting information regarding this list.

Plan of Action:
    1. Create a program to check images and count individual pets for us. (Thank you Daryll and Law!) ✓
    2. Sort results into accumulation sheet of Google Doc so it counts the pets for us. / Create program to accumulate pets for us. in progress / ✓
    3. Count pets. in progress
    4. Gather information about how to sort tiers together using the information gathered.
    5. Update List with future rerelease data.

Data: INCOMPLETE DATA; DO NOT USE FOR REFERENCE
    Currently, we are gathering the data using the program and posting it in a Google Sheet that you can view >here<. Reminder, this data is rough data and hasn't been handled. Do NOT use it as a reference or means for trading. It is INCOMPLETE.

Did we miss a very rare?
    It is possible we missed a very rare when gathering pets for the directory. Please read the following to suggest a pet to be counted:
    1. You must have the name and archive image link in your post.
    → Don't use [img] tags. We only need the link to the archive image.
    2. Please try to find when the pet turned Very Rare.
    → Any pet that turned from Rare to Very Rare in 2013 or later will not be counted.
    3. The pet must be Very Rare now. All OMGSR pets will be counted.
    4. No store pets. They will all eventually be counted.
    Example suggestion:
    Example Suggestion wrote:I'd like to see the 2008 Royal Bobtail Dog counted.
    Archive link: http://static.chickensmoothie.com/archi ... &bg=aca5ae
    Turned Very Rare: October 2011

Thank you:
    Erythro, Daryll, Law, nickjr, ElementalInsanity, Solloby, Fizzlebee, Nicky Midnight, lil rascal, The Last Raven, Sinbreaker, Lya, DaDwarf, and many others who gathered resources, counted in the beginning, posted suggestions and ideas, and those who supported the project from the very first stage that eventually led to where we are now. You are all amazing and all of your time, energy and resources are very much so appreciated. Thank you once again.
    I or someone else will be writing a more in depth thank you in the future to showcase all of the work that has gone into this project through all its stages.

Title Font Credit: Mohave from 1001fonts.com

This thread and project is a work in progress. Thank you for understanding.
Last edited by nickjr on Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:25 pm, edited 41 times in total.
nickjr

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

reserved

Postby nickjr » Mon May 08, 2017 7:56 pm

reserved
Last edited by Erythro on Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
nickjr

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

reserved

Postby nickjr » Mon May 08, 2017 8:07 pm

reserved
Last edited by Erythro on Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nickjr

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Frequently Asked Questions

Postby nickjr » Mon May 08, 2017 8:08 pm

Updated! Q: Will the Rarity List replace "The" Rares List?
      A: Both "The" Rares List and this project were/will be unofficial community guides to trading. There are a lot of other community guides that have popped up in the wake of the Rares List's discontinuation; all can be found in this board (CS Discussion). While we're excited for the Rarity List because it'll be based on numbers, it isn't an official replacement by any means; it will simply be another resource that people can use to help inform their trade decisions.
    Q: What can I do to help?
      A: We will need helpers sometime in the future but currently, keeping a small group with designated tasks keeps things running smoothly. If we decide we need some new helpers, we will ask. You can join our Discord server to receive more updates.
    Q: Why are some Very Rares on the list higher than OMG So Rares?
      A: The most straight forward answer is that our code can't check for how recently an account has been active the way that CS Servers do when they do rarity updates. Even if we could, we would have to rerun the code for all of this data each year and seeing as the first million pets took us two weeks, it's not really a feasible option. The other answer is that we don't want to manipulate the list with out actual data to back it. While it is true that these pets are less rare (we can tell that by the tag), we don't know where they would go because of inactive accounts.
      We may be open to discussing this procedure in the future once we have more numbers (rereleases), depending on how the community feels about it.
    Q: Why is the cut off for very rares 2013?
      A: As much as we want to count each and every very rare, it would take a lot more time than we have available. We want to keep in the same vein that these pets are the rarest on the site. Using the Recent Rarity Change List as a guideline for what pets turned very rare and when, we can get a rough idea of what pets should be counted and what ones can wait.
    Q: Will all the store pets be counted?
      A: Yes, eventually. Right now we are only working on 2009-2012 store pets but we will be counting all store pets in the future.
    Q: What does the script actually do?
      A: For further explanation, you are welcome to PM any questions to daryll. However, the code essentially works in the following three steps:
      1. Looks up pet IDs given by user and determines if they're ON-ACCOUNT and have a rarity higher than VR/OMGSR - dumps this info into onlineIDs_<instanceNum>_out_[RANGE].txt
      2. Reads above text file and cross-checks with CS Directory Code.txt
      If it's in there, it's counted
      3. Dumps pet names and the number of occurrences of said pet in [RANGE].txt
    Q: Have you found anything odd?
      A: We found Gingko, a butterfly wolf owned by Tess! Although Gingko looks like a normal adopt from August 2008, it has a custom rarity tag! >Here< is Tess' explanation for Gingko.
    Q: Has this project cost you anything?
      A: It has cost us a lot of hours, especially for Erythro and Daryll, but this project pertains to both of their degrees and they use it to explain that they know how to use their college education. Monetarily, it costs $2 per month since we had to purchase a VPN to run the code under.
    Q: Isn't there another project like this?
      A: Yep, there's a similar project called "The" Rarity Trade Guide. The main difference between the two projects is that this project is counting pets in order to determine rarity while the other project is going off of rarity tag changes. Some users share information to both projects, but the two projects are independent.
    Q: When will you guys finish?
      A: We've been hitting a lot of technical bumps on the road, and we all have real lives to attend to, so that's why this project has been taking quite a while. A ballpark estimation of when we hope to have the pet counts ready for analysis is something on the order of months (not years or weeks).
    Q: Do you have something handy for linking back to this project?
      A: We do! Wookieinmashoo made this wonderful image for us:
      Code: Select all
      [url=https://www.chickensmoothie.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=3452288][img]https://images-wixmp-ed30a86b8c4ca887773594c2.wixmp.com/intermediary/f/4a8ef72d-b956-4dbc-8218-c6c3caa29d5a/dcyv2rz-f979d343-2580-4030-93b7-92637534b731.png[/img][/url]
Last edited by nickjr on Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:35 am, edited 12 times in total.
nickjr

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Pet Counts for Rarity Ratios

Postby Solloby » Mon May 08, 2017 8:22 pm

Aralas wrote:
    Deleted my first post because I was confused. Whoops, sorry about that.

Will this project count up each significantly rare pet (including such pets as rats) or are we mainly focused on the dogs?

For August 2008 I was thinking the dogs and the rats, but ignoring 2nd gens, cats and butterfly wolves since we don't really need data for them.

So pets we would include:
  • Galaxy Litter
  • Toxic Litter
  • Balloon Litter
  • Tribal Litter
  • Heart Rats, Black Skull Rat & Light Blue/Grey Rat

For the spreadsheet, I was thinking of including the names of the pets at the top so it's easy to fill them in and to filter. I would also include "Error" for pets that were deleted and "Other" for pets that are not on the list.

MiniTaxiderMiss wrote:My one question, what about re-releasing from advent? Won't that mess with data?

The pets we are looking at are not special releases or UR pets so they should not impact the relative ratios of August pets within their own litters or amongst other August litters I wouldn't think.
Solloby
I take care of the CS archives and
sometimes submit pet/item designs.

Characters :: Artwork

Help
You can find Help in the main navigation menu.
If your question or problem is not answered there, please use the Help System.
I am not a mod and cannot help you so please don't PM me for site help.
Solloby
Archivist

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Schofield » Mon May 08, 2017 8:27 pm

Solloby wrote:
Aralas wrote:
    Deleted my first post because I was confused. Whoops, sorry about that.

Will this project count up each significantly rare pet (including such pets as rats) or are we mainly focused on the dogs?

For August 2008 I was thinking the dogs and the rats, but ignoring 2nd gens, cats and butterfly wolves since we don't really need data for them.

So pets we would include:
  • Galaxy Litter
  • Toxic Litter
  • Balloon Litter
  • Tribal Litter
  • Heart Rats, Black Skull Rat & Light Blue/Grey Rat

Alright, cool! That's what I figured, but I wanted to make sure.

What about the "August" pets that were adopted in July? I've noticed there's a few of them. Are we starting from the very beginning of the ID numbers in order to get them or are just starting from when the adoption dates say august 1st on them?
Schofield

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Solloby » Mon May 08, 2017 8:37 pm

I was thinking for our sample, we should pick pets adopted in early August to ensure the galaxy litter is included. With that said, the early end date to galaxy adoptions should be weighted somehow? Or should the galaxies be excluded from this count and we choose pet IDs from towards the end of the month?
Solloby

Help
Solloby
Archivist

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Schofield » Mon May 08, 2017 8:52 pm

Solloby wrote:I was thinking for our sample, we should pick pets adopted in early August to ensure the galaxy litter is included. With that said, the early end date to galaxy adoptions should be weighted somehow? Or should the galaxies be excluded from this count and we choose pet IDs from towards the end of the month?

Shouldn't we do the entire August release from start to finish to ensure we get an accurate ratio between everything? Or would that be overkill?
Schofield

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Solloby » Mon May 08, 2017 9:06 pm

Aralas wrote:
Solloby wrote:I was thinking for our sample, we should pick pets adopted in early August to ensure the galaxy litter is included. With that said, the early end date to galaxy adoptions should be weighted somehow? Or should the galaxies be excluded from this count and we choose pet IDs from towards the end of the month?

Shouldn't we do the entire August release from start to finish to ensure we get an accurate ratio between everything? Or would that be overkill?

There's no real difference between counting 400 pets versus counting 150000 pets, assuming I selected appropriate confidence level and interval to determine the sample size. The ratio results will be basically the same, that's how statistics work. This excludes the galaxy dogs due to them straddling july/august in terms of release date.
Solloby

Help
Solloby
Archivist

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Schofield » Mon May 08, 2017 9:15 pm

Solloby wrote:
Aralas wrote:

There's no real difference between counting 400 pets versus counting 150000 pets, assuming I selected appropriate confidence level and interval to determine the sample size. The ratio results will be basically the same, that's how statistics work. This excludes the galaxy dogs due to them straddling july/august in terms of release date.

Ahh, I'm sorry. I understand the general idea of statistics. I was just getting caught up with wondering how the galaxy dogs would fit into the ratios.

I'm very intrigued with this concept and would love to help in anyway I can. Once sample counting opens up I'll be sure to volunteer!
Schofield

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me