2021 VOK/HW Event-- The Scribe's Shrine

If you need to make more than one topic for your adoptables, you can put the extra topics in here. Please read stickies for more information

2021 VOK/HW Event-- The Scribe's Shrine

Postby MySpoons » Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:39 pm

Welcome to the 2021 VOK/HW Summer/Autumn event!
September 1st - September 15th

See the main event thread for more information.

You swear what sits before you is a statue carved of old, cracked stone littered with moss and lichen in the soft glow of twilight. The fading rays of the sun reflect off the sea as the sun sets. This small island feels older and larger than it is-- you know it rose from the rough waves around the same time the large chains joined the sea and the sky to your lands.

Around you are pillar-like white stones rising like trees from the black sand. However weathered they are from the elements, the script carved into them is clear and bold. None of you know how to read it, but it looks impressive and detailed. As you walk along the circular worn path to look at these strange relics, a glint of something catches your eye--

the statue is not stone at all. She moves and moss rustles along her neck and back like a mane. Intelligent, ageless eyes are surprisingly soft with goodwill as she takes all of you in.

History, legend, myth... even gossip. It's all very telling about cultures, isn't it? If we share maybe we could all learn a few things...
    -- The Scribe of Stone

Every day, The Scribe of Stone will share something new with your heroes. Fragments of stories, legends, partial descriptions of important figures in the Sea or the Sky. If you help her find this information, she'll reward you for your assisting her while she continues to welcome travelers and attend to the shrine.

- each prompt will have three tiers to it to reward different levels of effort
      - you can only complete 1 per day
      - if you want to do an old prompt for feathers, you can claim it under the basic use prompt on the feather claim thread
      - I encourage creativity-- some prompts will be intentionally vague to see what sorts of things you want to write or draw about
      - some of these descriptions may inspire adopts I create along the course of the event

DAY 15 PROMPT

Days later, after the chaos and fear and fighting, the world is still. The ocean is calm and flat, the sky is clear. On the black sand island, the white stones are almost blinding under the midday sun. Instead of just white and black and grey as the colors dominating the shrine, there are all sorts of specks covering everything. Looking closer, you identify some of them as paper, cloth, ribbons, strings. Some of it seems celebratory, while others are there to honor things and citizens lost.

You see the Scribe helping a small kit reach the top of a rock much bigger than her to leave a painted seashell on the very top of it. She is busy, but she sends you a grateful look and a wave of her thick tail.

It has been a long few weeks but you made it. You all did.

1 Ancient Coins: 100 words or 1 bust sketch
2 Ancient Coins: 200 words or 1 fullbody sketch
3 Ancient Coins: 300 words or 1 flatcolor fullbody

Code: Select all
[b]Username:[/b]
[b]Pride/group link:[/b]
[b]Day 15 Prompt:[/b]
Last edited by MySpoons on Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:08 pm, edited 16 times in total.
MySpoons

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

The Scribe's Shrine-- Past Prompts

Postby MySpoons » Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:39 pm

DAY 1
    "The group that created this shrine is long lost to memory and history... but I still think about them. What virtues do you think they valued if they created a place like this?"

DAY 2
    The Scribe looks around all of those that have gathered, then turns her attention to the inscribed stone before her. Again, you swear something appears that wasn't there before: in her paws sits a tapestry, in the middle of being woven. From the way it is folded on itself, you cannot see what she is trying to depict.

"I've heard tale of a great warrior-- well, the words used are 'peace-maker', but context lends itself to a fighter. I don't know who they are, maybe you can ask around for some information on this warrior of old?"

Where do you go to look for answers, and who do you ask about this vague legend?

DAY 3
    The unfinished tapestry resting on her paws is straightened out with gentle movements. The crying of seagulls overhead draws the Scribe's attention to the skies. It is peaceful here. Waves wash ashore with a soothing rhythm, the wind tugs softly on adornments and fur, the sand curls around wherever you sit or stand.

"I've only got a little bit to work with for this one: Perspective, flow, towering... I know it is hardly anything at all, but surely someone knows of a story or local legend about this? If we can fill these gaps... well, it would be good for them.

Three words, three communities. Is there a story associated with this?

DAY 4
    No matter what tale you returned with (if you returned with one at all), the stone scribe invites everyone to sit down. Finely woven mats of dried grasses are stacked neatly beside her, available for anyone to take. Organized by groups on top of a thick sea-weathered wood board sits a variety of well-made and colorful snacks for you, her guests.

"Thanks for looking into all of this for me, I know there are many other things that you are being asked to do right now." The tapestry is moving between her paws-- she is weaving at a constant pace. "Why don't you tell me a story of your own? What have you been up to these past few days?"

DAY 5
    This time, the scribe is nowhere to be found on the small island filled with carved stones. You see her pedestal empty. Carved into the stone base is all manner of symbols. Some are familiar to you, some are not. They spiral inwards like a shell. If you look carefully you can see that the style of carving on the closest pillars matches the style of the beginning symbols. And yet they begin to shift further and further away from being the same to similar, to unrecognizable compared to the carved work around you.

What is this?

DAY 6
    The carved stones catch sunlight beautifully. Their washed-out color of off-white turns pink, orange, red, and navy over the course of the day and night. The crisp sea breeze is salty, as it always has been, but there is something else to it. Something sweet, and something with an edge. Is it tension? Is it the strange magics trying to change these lands? While this strange island is easily seen from shore and the skies, it doesn't seem to be affected by the titan's approach. There is a whisper in the wind.

Steady yourselves, heroes. What do you need from yourself? What do you need to hear?

DAY 7
    The scribe returns. From the sea of all places, she walks up from the depths, paws sinking deep into the sand, much farther than any of you. Instead of looking waterlogged, though, water runs off her easily and leaves her gleaming like wet stone.

The sun is low and red in the sky, reflecting off the sea which is a dark blue-green even though the sky is still a pale blue. The scribe stands at the edge of the black sand beach, waves lapping at her toes. She speaks without turning around.

"I do not have the answers. Will this be the end? I look into the past, collect stories from the present and hope my work is good enough to last into the future. Maybe I should be trying to save this place and its stories... but this is all I know."

That is all we have, at the end. What we know.

DAY 8
    The titan has been spotted. Just a speck on the horizon-- but everyone can tell how huge it will be, seeing as it is visible at such a distance. Many telescopes have been spotted set up on that side of the land and islands. Spy glasses are also left on windowsills and ledges overlooking the far side where the titan comes from.

There are no such items here on the island. For the first time, the scribe seems frazzled. Before her sits a bunch of clay and stone tablets, spread out on top of her pedestal as she paces around them, peering at them. Picking them up and holding them up to the numerous carved pillars.

After seeing the scroll and its partial translation, you can see a bit of similarity between some of the symbols carved into the shrine's stones and the original text. But based on her constant muttering, you conclude she cannot find a good match. It takes some time for her to notice you but eventually she does.

"Oh good, it's been taken to the sea kingdom. While you're down there, could you look around for anything like this? Runes, relics, even artwork... any of it could help give us context to this whole mess. I don't have enough information-- the records are incomplete, as they always will be, but damn... I thought there would be enough here..."

DAY 9
    Maybe you visit for only a short while, squeezed in a short trip to the island in between all the chaos and panic. The ground continues to shakes and rumbles-- you've heard of cracks splitting the earth on the land and the sea floor. The shrine island is small enough to avoid the worst of the damage, though a few of the ageless carved pillars are at strange angles. Some have even sunk a little into the black sand.

But strangest of all, white stones have appeared on the beach, hard to see among the frothy sea foam and waves.

The Scribe isn't here today, but she has left a large basket on her pedestle. In it are fragments of tablets with carvings on them. And even a few scraps of paper with hasty scribbles on them. It seems she is collecting any evidence found by herself or the citizens.

Do you think it is worth it to help her?

DAY 10
    Those white stones from the beach? The trembling of the earth and the large whirlpools reveal more of them-- and uncover more of the ones that appeared yesterday. They are not pebbles.

It is more carved stones, lost to time and sunk beneath the soft sandy ground of the island and into the ocean floor. These are much harder to read, damaged by who knows how many years of erosion from the waves, sand, and sea life. Some even come with small coral reefs attached. Or lay broken on its sides.

You can see depictions of the attacking titan, if your hero takes the time to notice.

DAY 11
    The Scribe, it seems, isn't fighting the Titan. She is busy trying to uncover these new stones, digging out the half-sunken ones, gathering fragments and trying to sort through an impossible puzzle. To her alarm, the close proximity of the Titan is causing the other stones to lean and tremble.

Do you even have the time or energy to try and understand all this? It is worth trying to save if it is all going to crumble to dust?

DAY 12
    There is so much chaos at the moment, you cannot seem to catch the scribe at her shrine. Instead, she has left instructions for anyone who has made the trip to see her:

We can make our own records, too. If you've seen anything you'd consider 'heroic', could you record it for me? Written or draw, either will work.

DAY 13
    Today's instructions have changed a little, but the general idea is the same.

Have you witnessed or heard of any daring feats or the impossible happening? These are often the beginnings of great stories and legends.

DAY 14
    Sometimes, things don't turn out well. Heroics and bravery are not always enough. Even though it hurts, loss and tragedy should be remembered the same as victories and triumphs. Near one of the carved stones, one that cracked and crumbled into rough-edged pieces from the fighting, lies soft clay tablets ready for inscriptions.

I know it isn't pleasant, but sorrow can be an important part of a culture and its history. Honor the memory of something or someone.
Last edited by MySpoons on Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:59 am, edited 14 times in total.
MySpoons

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: 2021 VOK/HW Event-- The Scribe's Shrine

Postby Goddess Sword » Thu Sep 02, 2021 2:26 pm

Username: Goddess Sword
Pride/group link: The Wards (VoK), The Wayfarers (HW)
Day 1 Prompt: Hosted here (533 words)
Goddess Sword

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Chanceuxcat » Thu Sep 02, 2021 5:10 pm

Username: Chanceuxcat
Pride/group link: Senova
Day 1 Prompt:

He has seen so many worlds rise and fall. Throughout the years, hundreds of years as a god, Norizan has gotten to observe lions and hyenas much like the ones who had created this... this shrine. So it's not too hard for him to answer the question.
"They-"
"Well, it wasn't intelligence," Fayvel interrupts, lip curling as he gazes around at the white stones with their unreadable scribbles.
"If it was, maybe they'd still be around."

The others look at him in shock. Of course, you never knew what would come out of his mouth, but this?

"I don't think so," Imja says, first to recover. "Many nations rise and fall, sometimes just due to luck or sudden collapse. I think though that they valued art. Beauty. They must have taken a lot of time to carve this beautiful writing."
She lets a paw brush gently against the nearest pillar, moving smoothly over the dips carved out into the snowy rock.

Cressida nods along with most of the others. She appreciates this description, adding on, "And they were probably pretty peaceful too. After all, one can't spend resources on art if they're too busy fighting war after war."

Fayvel scoffs, but he doesn't get a chance to speak again as Zephyr races around, talking quickly whenever they pause.
"Yes, the symbols are definitely writing, look at how they are similar to each other, each though is super detailed, it's like they weren't just carved but detailed and designed to be intricate, more than just writing, I wonder what they say hmmm maybe we can figure it out..."

They trail off, lost in thought and standing still for once, tail still twitching furiously about.

"That's just it," Norizan says. "They're- or they were- an advanced civilization. How else would they know how to do this? And something tells me too that they're more than Sea or Sky. Perhaps they were Land, Land before they left the war. Perhaps... well, perhaps that's the thing, as Imja was saying. They didn't value war, no, and that's how they were wiped from this world."

The lions fall silent at that. Because the war has returned, hasn't it? And their only hope lies with figuring out these other civilizations and in the paws of a young, naïve hero.
(383/300 words)
Chanceuxcat

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby TimelordSnowy » Thu Sep 02, 2021 5:21 pm

Username: TimelordSnowy
Pride/group link: https://toyhou.se/~world/58005.the-spirit-listeners
Day 1 Prompt: Here

This is Pickle.He is my friend

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
I'm a Snake!

Snakes are wise, graceful, calm, mystic, creative, responsible, shrewd
Sometimes they can be loner, bad communicator, possessive, distrustful.
TimelordSnowy

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby DinoSaga » Thu Sep 02, 2021 5:26 pm

Username: APrehistoricSoul
Pride/group link: The Cats of Avriwyth
Day 1 Prompt: [ 317 / 300 words ]

It wasn’t something that Omen thought about often. History, that is. The past of great things had nothing to do with healing present wounds, and that was her specialty. Omen was a healer, a medic, a medicine cat for her clan. Whatever she was called, she stitched lacerations, reset broken bones, applied salves. She often didn’t have time to mull over what had been, especially after so long.

She looked up at the large statue that stood before her. Her thin, furless tail twitched in fear as she thought of the injuries that she could easily accumulate under the lion’s great paws. What was it made of? It looked like stone, but the way it moved was so fluid. The voice was so calming. She asked herself, if I were to cut it, would it bleed? How can a statue have memories?

“I can’t speak for the creators of something like this. I have to say, it’s a little beyond my comprehension. I could never move this much stone, not by myself, and I doubt even with a few strong cats by my side. Some can be inferred just by that, though, I suppose.”

The lion seemed to want more. Omen forced herself to think, and the idea quickly solidified into thoughts that slipped through her lips with ease.

“They must have had a strong sense of teamwork, and trust. It would take a great amount of trust to allow another to hold one side of a large stone, knowing that they could drop it at any moment and cause your end. These carvings weren’t done overnight, as well, so patience must have been one one of their virtues. I’m sure they valued much the same things that a den mother would when watching a litter of kits.” She looked at the lion again, had she been a kit once? Did she know what that was like?

DeviantArt | Toyhou.se | Writing | Character Sales | Runes & Ruins

VoK|HW|★s|PM #115555#229999#44bbbb#bbbbbb#338877PFP

DinoSaga

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby minifun990 » Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:04 pm

Username: minifun990
Pride/grouplink:Mystic Isles
Day 1 Prompt:"The group that created this shrine is long lost to memory and history... but I still think about them. What virtues do you think they valued if they created a place like this?"

3 Ancient Coins: 300 words or 1 flatcolor fullbody
“They were afraid.” Aysa said. Staring up that big columns. The others turned to her, a little surprised at the accusation.

“Of what? It looks like they knew what they were doing to me.” Didina said, coming to stand next to the pale lioness. Didina was taller than her, and looked even larger just due to her luxurious mane.

“Of course they knew what they were doing, someone doesnt do this accidentally. Nor without lots and lots of effort and coordination.”

“Well then how could they be afraid? I doubt they would’ve done something this intricate in the middle of a war”

“They weren’t afraid of that. They were afraid of being forgotten.” Seeing the still un-understanding faces of her pridemated Aysa sighed. “Look- why would you need to write down so much knowledge like this- in such a permanent manner if you were afraid that one day you would be forgotten.”

“Oh, like we dont need to write down stuff because we tell others.” C said, said, surprising Aysa with his insightfulness.

“Yes, exactly. If you trust oral storytelling enough, the tales we pass down from lion to lion. Why would you need anything else?”
“This, is a monument created by people scared that their culture is going to be forgotten, and with it them.”

“They didnt do a very good job of it though. I cant read a single smudge of it.” Bern said.

“Yeah well, maybe they didnt think it would be left for this long undiscovered. Or maybe, it simply wasnt us who was meant to find it.”

“Well who do you think was supposed to find it then?” Aysa asked.

“Someone less cynical and projecting.” Yalina said, a little cruelly to Aysa. “Im pretty sure the only virtues the creators of this monument were worrying about was knowledge. Its a blessing to see something like this, showing forward thinking and a sharing nature. Not fear.”

Aysa huffed. “Agree to disagree.” (325/300)
"𝒲𝒽𝑒𝓃 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝑔𝑜𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝑔𝑒𝓉𝓈 𝓉𝑜𝓊𝑔𝒽 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝓉𝑜𝓊𝑔𝒽 𝓀𝑒𝑒𝓅 𝑔𝑜𝒾𝓃𝑔"

-𝓖𝓮𝓪𝓻 𝓓𝓮𝓮𝓻

Cloud Cows

Sig cycles gear deer - Click to go to thread :)
minifun990

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Tiger♥Bear » Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:23 am

Username: Tiger♥Bear
Pride/group link: Pekee Pamoja
Day 1 Prompt:
"The group that created this shrine is long lost to memory and history... but I still think about them.
What virtues do you think they valued if they created a place like this?"

Kailani pondered the question and looked around her at the shrine. Large towering pillars of white stone protruded from rich black sand. It was apparent they were old. Natural wear and tear of time showing in the chipping and cracks of the rock. And yet despite the age, elegant script etched into the stone was clear and legible. Though she couldn't understand the language that was written there. It was obvious to her this was important. Whoever built this wanted to ensure these texts would survive a long while. It made her curious to know what they said. What were these creatures like? What would be important enough to encapsulate in this fashion? A history of their kind? Their government? Perhaps it was a record of a particular family or even the groups entirety. She couldn't help a soft chuckle at the thought it was something less important but rather something sentimental like a joke or an urban legend. If only she knew the language or someone who would be able to decipher it's texts.

"Whatever is written here must have been important to them. The care in how precise everything is etched as well as the precision in making it in a way that would last. It must have taken a great deal of time to accomplish such a feat. I only wish I could read what it says." Her attention turned to stone lion. "You wouldn't happen to know what it says, do you? It seems you have been here a great deal of time. Surely you must have some idea of what is written here. A ledger? Or perhaps a roster? Maybe a poetic recollection of the groups history." Her curiosity was running away with her, intrigued in what the text said. Looking back at the stone, she sighed wistfully. "If only I could comprehend this language."
{310 Words :: 3 Ancient Coins}
Pekee Pamoja . VOK
Fallitur . VOK

Toyhou.se
Bear/vs/Bull is my husband.
fairytail*~, itsRBandPJ, munch1111,
and
Noebelle22 are my sisters.
We sometimes share a computer.
Please do not ban us!
I am looking for art of my VOK characters. Please send me a message if interested in doing some art, we can discuss payment.
Currently looking to swap some pets for true dates (pets adopted on the first of the month). Check out my trades for more info. Open to normal trades as well but would prefer date swaps at the moment. Also up for roleplay. I'm open to ideas, just send me a message with your thoughts and I'll let you know if I'm interested. If not, we can work something else out.
Tiger♥Bear

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby MySpoons » Fri Sep 03, 2021 6:50 am

Username: MySpoons
Pride/group link: The New Guard
Day 1 Prompt:

HONOR
-------------------------------------
𝗠𝗢𝗢𝗗
struggling mar. 14

𝗔𝗗𝗢𝗣𝗧𝗦 [Masterlist]
𝗢𝗙𝗙 𝗦𝗜𝗧𝗘 [Trades]
Heya, I'm MySpoons!
Artist | World Builder

Ace | She/Her/They/Them
Pup Parent to Teddy, SDIT

358 Pets Left
to a complete collection

Trades | Auctions
Collection Progress | Art Shop

ABOUT ME
MySpoons

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Midnightkitkat » Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:30 am

Username: Midnightkitkat
Pride/group link: Oasis Basin
Day 1 Prompt:
Everest had never seen such a place before. The mumbles from others about a magically appearing island were but noise until he found himself along its shore. Quick to be lost within its mistery and beauty, and so invested by the surrounding stones he was not paying the least bit of attention to the statue. Nearly jumping out of his pelt when the thing started talking. Now a bit calmer and level headed he tilted his head in thought at the strangers question. With such tall stones the area was hard to miss and with the clear writing, although unknown, was clearly ment to withstand the test of time. The words engraved deep and clear in each pillar that stood proudly. "Perhaps their history or stories were important. Its the knowledge of the past that helps one decide on the future or to learn from its mistakes." Much like the stories of the greate heros molded his father to train his son so harshly. Shaking his head as this was no time for such thoughts, he could question his fathers actions another day. "It is a shame that their language is most likely lost with them, the information on these stones could be important." Chuckling softly, "I would suppose then that it wouldn't be the ability to plan ahead that lead them." Turning to face the stone lion before him Everest couldn't help but feel small in comparison. "I suppose you wouldn't know of a translation stone amongst these relics would you? I could yet to be proven wrong about my assumptions." If the statute like being remembered the ones who made these stones, even if faintly, they may yet be able to help in finding the answers needed to read them. The mystery itching the back of his mind like a pesky spot that just needed a good scratch.
[310]
Midnightkitkat

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me