We need your feedback: Bigger, less frequent pound openings?

Sell characters and original once-off adoptable designs here - using CS pets, items or C$ as payment.
Forum rules
Art theft is not tolerated here. Do not copy/trace/edit/use anybody's pictures without their express permission.
If you are unsure, read the full art rules here.

Should we have bigger, less frequent pound openings?

Poll ended at Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:26 am

Yes - increase pound size to 1800 pets and open 1.7 times per day
35%
No - keep pound size at 1300 pets and open 2.4 times per day
65%

Total votes : 3234

Re: We need your feedback: Bigger, less frequent pound openi

Postby sm06sm » Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:55 am

I’m on the side of fewer pets and more openings. Typically, the pound almost always opens at either an extremely early or extremely late hour for me. Sometimes I can catch one of the openings, but moving the opening to be less frequent would make it extremely hard for me. While there’s less pets, I’m fine with that, because I have a better chance to even *make* the pound opening
sm06sm

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Mirenoch » Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:57 am

rats! wrote:I think we should get rid of the pound

Genuinely want to hear more about this..
Image Image
Mirenoch

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ryomen » Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:58 am

LunaLate wrote:I’m kind of bummed so many people are against the 1800 pets in the pound one. Do you really think the pound opening 0.7 times less a day would make such a difference that you would never catch the pound?
I guess my thinking was it was really nice during Easter when there were 2,000 pets in the pound every opening and it actually let more users get good pets. Because then there are more options. More people get good pets on average because, on average, the people with super fast clicking get less of the really good pets because the pets are spread out more. If the same people are getting really good pets every time somehow, they get a chance of a really good pet 1 out of every 1300 pets. But if we lower there odds by having them only get a really good pet every 1 out of every 1800 pets, everyone else could have a better chance.
That’s just how I think about it and it makes sense to me but I know not everyone could understand my reasoning and I’m not sure I explained it right. This isn’t an attack on anyone else’s posts, I just wanted to share my thoughts.

agree. we literally observed how well bigger openings worked over easter, it's not something that only works better in theory. that being said, it really doesn't shock me that the general consensus is that more pounds with insufficient pets for the amount of online users is better lol

inclined to agree atp
the disgraced one.

mostly inactive. trading for monthly outcomes only.
ryomen

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby duckblind » Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:59 am

kotak wrote: It’s a lot more difficult to get a pet I really want when there are less pets in the drop, and the pound empties in a relatively few amount of refreshes.

^^ Seconded, this last opening went so quickly. Even lower rarity and more recent pets were already taken by the time pages refreshed and in only a couple refreshes the selection drastically went down. My internet is pretty fast too. I really think some kind of compromise should be worked out so there can be more pets and more than one opening if it's possible, it's just not as fun when you feel so pressed for time but can't click on anything.
duckblind

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby clues » Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:14 am

starting with the main topic of this thread: i voted yes, and was pretty surprised that i wasn't in the majority

after reading through some of the replies, i almost changed my mind because i do know how much it sucks when the pound opens at a time when i'm unavailable. but thats the thing. it happens to everyone, even now, because the timing is completely random and not based around a particular timezone. i can see the benefit of having an extra opening each day, because if you are unavailable for one, there's a pretty good chance that you'll be available for the other! but whats the point of an extra opening if the number of players online at the time still exceeds the number of pets in the pound? we're all going to miss out sometimes regardless of what nick chooses, but i think this current scenario creates a lot more stress for players. when the pound opens, everyone is scrambling to get something before the supply runs out entirely. it just isn't fun.

(ideally, we'd have slightly more pets across the same amount of openings to reap all the benefits, but i don't know enough about the pound supply to have an opinion on whether or not thats realistic lol)

ryomen wrote:agree. we literally observed how well bigger openings worked over easter, it's not something that only works better in theory.

this!! i personally didn't see a single person who was unhappy with the increase of pets in the pound during easter. it made the pound so much more fun, especially with the new update, because players felt more comfortable holding out for a while to refresh the page and hope for something great. the sacrifice of an average 0.7 openings/day is worth it imo, because fewer pound openings that are actually fun >>> more pound openings that stress me out

Adamented wrote:New players are totally at a disadvantage with the pound having pets visible, there's no question in that.

while i understand your frustration, this just doesn't make sense to me. if anything, new players can benefit from this feature! yes, older players are better at recognizing rares because we've seen them before, but by making the pound pets visible before the opening, new players are being given the chance to familiarize themselves with the exact pets that they can expect to see. it evens the playing field.

Adamented wrote:Even if the new players happen to figure out that you can see what pets are in the pound, even if those new players make a chart to reference every time the pound is open, they won't recognize it before an older player that knows how to recognize older pets instantly.

regardless of the age of your account, pound pets are always released in age order, so old players have absolutely no advantage. as an older player myself, if i'm not in the mood to flip through pages looking for something i like (and hope that the pound lasts long enough for me to do so), i just try to adopt the oldest pet on my page because its usually good for trading fodder (which anyone can do). this is really only relevant for re-release pets which, again, new players can prepare for by looking at the pound group.
Last edited by clues on Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:34 am, edited 5 times in total.
clues

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby chase. » Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:16 am

honestly valid.
chase.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby DragonWizard » Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:17 am

I think if we had between 1300 -1500 slightly more often hopefully then more players in different time zones will get a chance. I also think that during Events it could be raised to 2000 each time as their are so many more players online at the same time.

As to seeing what's in the pound before the opening I have done both looking and not looking and I find that when I have looked sometimes you get so focused on a few pets and trying to get them that you can miss out on other great pets.

I know we all want to get a special pet from the pound e.g. Very rare, extremely rare or OMGSR but I find getting one once in a while makes it even more special. I also enjoy getting missed outcomes or hoard pets, finding them can be just as great.
:P
DragonWizard

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby sm06sm » Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:21 am

From the sound of things, the pound needs an entire overhaul, not just a bandaid solution. Regardless of how many pets you add, the players who know what pets to look for and what is rare will still continue to pick up those pets. I understand the whole “the pound shouldn’t just be about rares” argument but the pound is the only way some players will ever get very old rares. I found out through this forum that you can see the pet pounds before opening, and as an average/casual player, I didn’t know this. You have a system in place that allows people to know ahead of time if they should stalk the pound opening. I don’t think this should be visible at all, or if so, it should be easily accessible information to even things out.

I think the best solution for the pound would be each person gets a random pet from the draw (as I saw someone previously mention), with percentage pull rates for each rarity that is shown on the pound page upon opening!

EDIT: saw the comment about seeing what’s in the pound being easily accessible already, and I’d still argue it’s not. “Easily accessible” to me would mean the pound itself displaying a message like: “want to see what’s upcoming in the pound? Click here!”

Players such as myself who don’t even know this is a thing don’t look for it, to which point I’d say that no longer counts as easily accessible
Last edited by sm06sm on Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
sm06sm

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby avaloafe » Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:32 am

sm06sm wrote:From the sound of things, the pound needs an entire overhaul, not just a bandaid solution. Regardless of how many pets you add, the players who know what pets to look for and what is rare will still continue to pick up those pets. I understand the whole “the pound shouldn’t just be about rares” argument but the pound is the only way some players will ever get very old rares. I found out through this forum that you can see the pet pounds before opening, and as an average/casual player, I didn’t know this. You have a system in place that allows people to know ahead of time if they should stalk the pound opening. I don’t think this should be visible at all, or if so, it should be easily accessible information to even things out.

I think the best solution for the pound would be each person gets a random pet from the draw (as I saw someone previously mention), with percentage pull rates for each rarity that is shown on the pound page upon opening!

the thing is, it IS easily accessible information. literally just go to the pounds account page, click view pets and BOOM. its right there for everyone to see.
      no signature for u
avaloafe

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby foxcloud19 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:33 am

sm06sm wrote:From the sound of things, the pound needs an entire overhaul, not just a bandaid solution. Regardless of how many pets you add, the players who know what pets to look for and what is rare will still continue to pick up those pets. I understand the whole “the pound shouldn’t just be about rares” argument but the pound is the only way some players will ever get very old rares. I found out through this forum that you can see the pet pounds before opening, and as an average/casual player, I didn’t know this. You have a system in place that allows people to know ahead of time if they should stalk the pound opening. I don’t think this should be visible at all, or if so, it should be easily accessible information to even things out.

I LOVE this idea of being given a random pet! It feels so much more fair in the long run.

However, if they refuse to do a big overhaul like this, I think we should do trial runs of what is being suggested. Have a week where we implement the fewer openings with more pets, then have a week with more openings and fewer pets. Then set up a poll to ask which one people liked better or if they prefer it to stay the same.
foxcloud19

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me