1x1 -- Sarish and Stormy

If you only want to roleplay with one other person, or only with certain people, then you can do so here (any genre).
Forum rules
Remember, all content must remain child-friendly at all times!
Users breaking this rule by using foul language, roleplaying explicit sexual scenes, excessive violence/torture, non-consensual 'romance', or other adult themes may be banned.

Re: 1x1 -- Sarish and Stormy

Postby stormy tom » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:24 pm

Flex, release. Flex, release. James clenched his hands into fists. Flex, release... He stamped his bad foot on the floor a couple of solid times, in anger, and for the pain that shot upward from the impact. Pain had usually helped him think straight, cutting through all the confusion as an ultimate truth, a battle he could overcome for certain.

Sarish's words, as always, rang true. But there was a lot of murk to cut through. So much doubt and confusion and swirling emotions. So many years of damage. James hadn't even noticed Sarish had left while he tried to let his friend's words sink in and override everything else.

Then Sarish was back, handing him a mug of tea and a bowl of sliced mango. It was a... a maternal gesture. One James appreciated so deeply he didn't have the facial expression to express it. He took both from Sarish and with a steadying hand had a bite of mango. It was getting late... he'd just realized how dark it was.

"Do you want my to make you something to eat?" James offered bashfully. "Sorry, I shouldn't be sitting around... you can barely walk that far... don't get me wrong! You're making great progress! Thanks for the tea... mm. S'good..." James closed his eyes and enjoyed the warmth soaking into his body, calming him, relaxing his racing heart beat and tense muscles. Powers? "This tea is just what I needed... at least for now, thank you." James swallowed some mango as well.

Yes, much better. Okay? Well... maybe not. Not yet, anyway. Just how much progress had he made? It was hard to tell when this sort of thing happened...
He/They
Art by me
stormy tom

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Sarish » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:17 pm

"No, that's quite alright. I can make something for the both of us. What would you like?" Sarish asked gently, knowing that tea or mangoes or dinner would not be enough to help James fully come to terms with what had happened at the arena. That would take time to heal. Time, time, things always take so much time. How long do we have to wait before we can overcome and move on? it was a question that he did not have an answer to.

"Ha! You are the wrong person to ask about moving past something, are you not? You tell gorgeous lies, you flaming hypocrite. Do you think that smiling and promising that he will get better will really do anything?"

Of course it will. Everyone can overcome and grow from their past if they are given enough time, and it's a truth he needs to hear.

"Oh, really? My apologies, I was under the impression that Sanjay
still is not over his long-lost crush. I was fairly certain that Kareena still has night terrors that scare her half to death. You know, I suppose I am not certain, but I thought that you still talk to yourself in the hopes that Dustin will respond. I know that you wanted to know if any of the supplies in that hospital was supplied by Dustin's company. I know that you are planning to have that ice cream once everything settles down a bit more tonight. Do you really believe that you are allowed to promise these things to poor James, who is aware that you still think about Dustin?"

I am the only one here that can. He trusts me, I think. And look, I stopped complaining about my back a long time ago. I grew to accept my disadvantage--

"'Complaining'? Are you implying that James complains about his leg?"

What? No! I said that I used to whine and complain about my back. I moved past that.

"Oh, sure. How many years did it take you, again?"

Listen, I don't have time to argue with you right now. Be silent and I'll give you my undivided attention later.

"Oh, of course, I know that you are busy being a hypocrite. Go ahead, then. I shall talk to you again over some ice cream later,"
it growled out a laugh, falling silent. Sarish sighed internally, but pushed it out of his mind for now. He wasn't that much of a hypocrite, not this time. He had moved past some things. "Would you like to eat, or would you prefer to listen to music? Perhaps you'd rather turn in early tonight?"

Why hello there.
I'm absolute trash and that's basically all you need to know about me.
Sarish

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby stormy tom » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:25 pm

James finished his bowl of mango, unaware that he had slowly been feeding the fruit into his mouth for a couple of minutes. But now his bowl and mug were empty, and he realized he felt sick at the idea of more food.

"I'm alright, thank you," James shook his head, reaching down to pull off his socks. "I'm actually tired... I should try to get some rest. Do you need help getting into bed?" How unfair would that be if he fell asleep on the couch and left Sarish to struggle into bed alone? Regardless of whether his friend would get there in the end, it wouldn't be right.

--

And sleeping. Sleeping... the idea was a solid concept. But in practise, it was a lot harder. James curled up tightly on the couch, arms protectively wrapped around his torso, dreams running rampantly through his head, hopping from one thought to the next. Thought he would not remember by morning, but would leave lingering traces of their presence to remind him they had indeed been there.

Striker was blissfully not present. He had not been a theme of today.

No, instead his former teammates swirled around him, laughing, threatening blows that never came, attacking with surprise blows that did. Striking, pulling back, disapearing, returning, delivering a blow again.

And then nothing. Just the dull orange light of morning filling the living room.
He/They
Art by me
stormy tom

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Sarish » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:20 pm

Sarish hesitated. "Well, if you're sure... we'll have to have a large breakfast tomorrow, then," he then shook his head. "No, I'll be alright, thank you. I'll be staying up a bit longer, but I'll be quiet. And... know that you can come wake me up if you need anything," he reminded James, watching his friend for a moment longer before taking the empty bowl and mug back into the kitchen. He sat back down in his wheelchair, sighing as he pulled out a new bowl for himself and grabbing the ice cream from the freezer, scooping some into the bowl before putting the container back. He decided to stay where he was instead of heading out to the table, staring down at the dessert as he slowly scooped some into his mouth.

His alter realized what he was doing and immediately went back to work, hissing and spitting as it berated him for anything it could think of. You're really on a roll tonight, Sarish commented at one point, staring off into space as he listened. Goodness, it hadn't been this venomous for a while... how did that happen? How could his own soul be so unpredictable? How could it despise him in one moment and try to soothe him with rusty purrs in another? How could it try to help and then try to hurt? This was his soul for goodness sake.

The ice cream was delicious.

---

Sarish got into bed on his own without too much trouble, turning the light off and laying flat on his back, closing his eyes. James had said that he didn't need him to use his powers... yet it couldn't hurt anyway. James might have bad dreams, and if he could help make them any less terrible, then he would.

As it turned out, though, his soul wasn't done. And it was very hard to focus when you had a voice in your head that was you trying to drag you down. Hush, Sarish hissed, rubbing a hand over his forehead as he tried to concentrate. It halted mid-sentence, going quiet for a bit. And then it chuckled. Chuckled, chuckled, laughed, dissolved into hysterics. The monk blinked his eyes open, disturbed. The laughed climbed into a higher pitch before cutting off altogether.

Are you... okay...?

Silence reined for a long moment.

"Something is wrong," it responded shakily before withdrawing completely. Despite his attempts to get it to speak again, his alter would not answer. Shaken, Sarish decided that he was better off trying to sleep...

---

"Please."

---

He woke early. There weren't any lingering remains of dreams clinging to his mind as the monk rubbed at his face tiredly, yawning. A quick check with his alter turned up fruitless; it wouldn't say a word and shied away from their bond. Very confused but not sure what to make of the situation, Sarish pushed himself upright and off the bed, carefully stretching and shaking out his legs. It bothered him that they were still a bit weak and his back seemed to be making annoyingly slow progress, but he couldn't do much about that either.

He settled in the wheelchair and quietly moved out into the living room. There was James, still asleep, his brow furrowed slightly. Sarish's heart ached when he realized that he wouldn't be able to tell if his friend was having a bad dream or not... should he wake him up? Reaching for his powers was about as difficult as getting his soul to respond... should I...? He needs to sleep... I suppose that I'll wake him up if he seems to be in distress... that was probably the best he could settle for right now.

Sarish moved into the kitchen, deciding that he could make breakfast today. What to make... eggs, he could make eggs. Toast. Fruit would be good to have as well. Tea, when James woke up. Yes, that was a good idea. He moved around as quietly as humanly possible, standing up and sitting down fairly frequently as he started making the breakfast, drawing up some of the instructions he had memorized from when James had made breakfast before. It wouldn't be a very fancy breakfast, but at least it wouldn't be a burnt one.

The monk worked leisurely, knowing that James might not wake for a while, though it was just a bit past when he normally got up. At least he's getting some sleep... I'm sure he'll be hungry when he wakes up... I just hope he'll talk to me if something is wrong...

Why hello there.
Sarish

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby stormy tom » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:37 pm

...what's that ache? Hmm. It seemed different. Ah well.

James sat up and rubbed his eyes, scratching his chest. It felt... odd. Honestly, he was a little cold. So he put his socks back on and shuffled to the kitchen. Oh... that smell... breakfast? Yes, breakfast.

James couldn't help but smile. "Hey, thanks," he offered. "You did pretty good." And didn't a hot meal sound good... James gathered plates and cutlery, sitting down to enjoy a breakfast his friend had made him. What to do today... his leg was sore, so perhaps not much walking. Maybe... maybe they could sort-of train. As best as possible in this house.

"Could we... could we do some meditating today?" James asked. He didn't want to talk about yesterday, but he did want to do something productive, though relaxed. And James knew he would not be able to meditate if he tried by himself, alone. No. That was a bad idea. A recipe for disaster. But if Sarish helped it might be beneficial.

--

Though, he had to say, the time was overall a good experience. There were times when all he wanted to do was curl up and escape, but those were few and far between. And he stayed away from hockey. Far, far away. MAybe some day he could face it again, but not now. Not now while it still felt fresh.

The change of atmosphere from the monastery to here did not affect him as badly as he'd thought it would. Not nearly as badly as Sarish, at least. And his brace remained in the cupboard, untouched. But a parcel did arrive in the mail sometime in the middle of their adventures. It was relatively small. Just a box, with no return address. But inside was a brand new collapsible cane, just like his old one. And a note that simply read 'and good riddance'. James couldn't help but smile.

Dresden wanted a couple more checks, just to see how things were coming, but he didn't delve deeper than some response checks, a scan or two. And he was impressed. It seemed one surgery had been more than sufficient to get by.

James received a phone call from the court as well, with information and questions regarding his brother's trial. James was not going to court, he refused. No way. But he did give his testimony over the phone, which would be recorded and played. Richard was sentenced, and that was over. He would never see the man again, and no-one would ever have to suffer under his hand.

And as James realized they would be leaving soon, he stood in front of his closet, staring at his brace. Perhaps it should come along... there would be times when it would be useful for certain. Rainstorms? Rough days? Long walks? And anything else that might make it difficult to walk. It would certainly lessen the chances of someone having to carry him. No, no more carrying. He didn't need to be carried.
He/They
Art by me
stormy tom

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Sarish » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:50 pm

Sarish jumped a bit when James spoke behind him. He hadn't heard him get up. "It's no problem, though you probably shouldn't thank me until you actually taste it," he chuckled. It turned out not too terrible, actually, which was probably lucky. The monk lifted his head to consider his friend when he suggested they meditate today. He knew that he probably wouldn't be able to manage it, but he thought that he could probably lead James through it, anyway. He smiled. "Yes, of course we can. Great idea!"

---

Sarish had to say that staying in Canada had been... interesting. Certainly not what he had been expecting, though that wasn't a bad thing. And there wasn't exactly a lot of assumptions to have, anyway. And while he was grateful that this had been his 'punishment' instead of what Markus had suggested, he never really got used to it. It was just so different. The people, the culture, the buildings, the city, the air... everything was so different. It wasn't a bad experience, but near to the end Sarish was starting to become homesick.

He had held his own, though; no panic attacks in crowded spaces and a slow, steady recovery without incident. His back had gotten stronger as the days crept on, and so had his legs. The wheelchair eventually wasn't needed unless they were out and about for a while-which wasn't often-but otherwise he was fine as long as he took his time and measured his steps and stance carefully. It was better than that biting, furious pain. And just think about what that might turn into when we get back home... he could only imagine how much stronger he'd be when the atmosphere of powers settled back into his bones.

With his homesickness came apprehension, however. What has changed? Has anything changed? Did we get any mudslides this year?How high did the river rise? There shouldn't be any new visitors... unless they changed the rules. Did they change their minds? Will I still be welcome? Maybe they'll send me away again after all of this... perhaps there will be another punishment... yes, he wanted to go home, but would home be welcoming? All of this worried Sarish even more, but there wasn't anything to be done except stick to the plan and see what came of it.

The monk considered what had been his room, gazing at the bed, at the clothes he'd have to leave here, the books on the bedside table. He had only managed to get through The Hobbit, unfortunately, but he was proud of himself for even making it that far. His reading English had certainly improved from his time here.

Sarish found himself perched on the edge of the couch, thinking, thinking. His soul had been almost completely silent since the night of the hockey game. It would make a rare appearance to answer a question with a simple answer or make a comment, but its voice was always subdued. Sarish knew that he'd be summoning it as soon as he was able when they got back home to see if there was something wrong with it physically, though he couldn't feel any of usual pain that that would cause through their bond.

Home... Home! he had realized that he had also called this 'James' house' and referred to Nepal as home. He knew that he was a visitor, of course, but for some reason he had never been able to start unconsciously calling this home. Sarish pushed the thought out of his head as he waited for James, apprehensive about the journey but excited to get to go on a plane again. Yes, soon they'd be home... soon he could get back and be able to actually help more efficiently in his world. Soon, soon we can get back to sorting all of this out...

Why hello there.
Sarish

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby stormy tom » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:10 pm

Soon indeed. It all moved so quickly for James.

Except for the beginning. He faced off with the closet. It would be a long journey. Lots of walking. And... his physical prowess just wasn't what it used to be. He couldn't help that. There was no shame in it.

So he sat on the edge of the spare bed and slid the brace over his leg, tightening the straps and feeling the rigid casing support the damaged limb properly, strongly. Yes, this was good. It felt physically good. Mentally, emotionally? He was working on that. But this should really come with him. It would get him up that mountain back to the monastery. Sure, James had made it up unaided the first time on pure stubbornness, but perhaps it was best to utilize modern technology and push that stubbornness to the side for once.

The brace greatly improved his limp.

James got used to it again as he walked around the house switching off lights, making sure everything was all locked up again. He loaded packed bags by the front door and called a taxi, made sure all their documents and boarding passes were arranged. Made sure everything was ready. He brought the pills again, just in case, though Sarish had so far amazed him. With his back, his adaption to modern Western life, everything.

"Time to go," James offered. Time to say goodbye to this house again, to Canada. It was... an odd feeling. Leaving a place that should have been home to a place that certainly was. This house had only just started to feel like a home in the final weeks of his return. And now he was leaving again. Leaving to return to the place he had begun to build his life. To make friends. To realize that he was more than everything he had lost and all the mistakes he had made. More than a child in the broken body of a man. More than a person with no friends and no future. Different. Better. Best? No, current-James was not Best-James. James had a long way to go before he could leave all of that behind him. Maybe he never would truly move on. Was that okay? Certainly.

Maybe he'd need a little help along the way.

And as the plane took off James realized just how much they were returning to. A monastery that had been torn apart by an American. One man who had been torn apart and invested by that same man. Friends, enemies, conflict, love, trust... family. Life. Something complex and communal that James had never been able to achieve. Perhaps had never allowed himself to have. All the things that came with that dynamic system, good and bad, those were okay. Of course there would be people who would not be pleased with him. That was alright.

The elders? James wondered if they had had a change of heart in his and Sarish's absence. He quirked a smile as he thought about it. Maybe, maybe not. Or perhaps they had forgotten the incident entirely.

Whatever awaited their return, James was looking forward to it. Because lions were communal animals, weren't they? Sarish was wonderful. He needed Sarish. But lions lived in prides. James needed his community. He needed that monastery and all its people, all its dynamics, its conflicts and loyalties. He needed Sanjay and Kareena, Carter and Chihaya, and he needed Sarish. All of them.

Perhaps... perhaps they needed him too.
He/They
Art by me
stormy tom

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Sarish » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:56 pm

Sarish had seen the brace that James now wore, but he didn't comment. He wasn't sure what it meant, but he thought that it definitely would help his friend not only for the journey, but for any hard times as well. It was good to see James' limp alleviated a little, but he wasn't sure what the existence of it was suggesting. He didn't dwell on it for too long, knowing that his apprentice would tell him if he needed to.

His apprentice... Sarish hadn't thought of James in such a way for a while now. That scared him, honestly. Yes, of course, James was his friend along with his apprentice... but he also knew that he had lost to Dustin when he stopped seeing him as an apprentice and started seeing him as a friend. Usually the two words went hand-in-hand-there was no way that someone would be willing to train someone for years and years if they didn't like them, and the same was true for an apprentice's view of their master-but when Dustin had become a friend first and foremost... that had been their downfall.

Sarish knew that this was him returning to bad memories, returning to Dustin. The replication of his voice had not made a single appearance while they stayed in Canada, and he wasn't sure what to make of that. But he knew that he'd be both further and closer to Dustin when they returned to Nepal, but that was okay. The monk could deal with that. Besides, Dustin was only a part of what he was coming home to... powers, alters, family, friends, everyone... everything. The maple tree and the erhu. The past just as much as the future.

The flight was just as magical as the first two had been, and Sarish was practically glued to the window through this and the next, longer flight. His back became a lot more sore because there was no lingering power there, but he didn't pay it much attention. There was no way he was missing the view. It would probably be the last time he was ever treated to it.

One flight, two, and then they were back in Kathmandu. And oh goodness wasn't it good to be back here? Even here in this city that he had had such an aversion to... just knowing that they were back in Nepal was such an amazing realization! Home, we're almost home! One night spent in a hotel later, and they were on their way back up the mountain. Oh, that was a harder journey than he expected-he really needed that web of powers back to help him along, unfortunately-but Sarish's spirits would not be dampened, not at all. He made sure to go slowly, though, for both of their benefit. There was no reason to rush; they had all of the time in the world.

And then they came to the fork in the main road, and the monk took the lead, shuffling along as they got closer and closer. Almost there, almost there! And then there was another break in path, and he took the right route, surprised to see that it was slightly overgrown. The supply caravans should be coming through here... and yes, see, look. Those are hoofprints. They've been through here, but why is... his train of thought came to a screeching halt as they came upon the two markers to either side of the path that indicated that they would soon be arriving at the monastery; another five or so minutes of walking.

It was overgrown. All of it... vines creeping over the markers, the path lined with brambles, the trees heavy and looming over the now-thin path. It looked unforgiving, like it didn't want anyone to pass through...

The Head Master's powers drape over the land and deter anyone with bad intentions from entering. You'd never want to walk down that path or even assume that anything lies along it if you didn't know better.

Bad intentions.

Bad intentions.

This must be what that meant. There was no way this much foliage and weeds would grow in the short amount of time... no, the trail looked like it had been abandoned for years. Sarish hadn't realized he had halted until now, bringing one hand up to rub at his eyes. No good, the illusion did not fall. Bad intentions. He didn't have bad intentions... he didn't! He just wanted to go home! What constituted as 'bad intentions'...? He had heard that it obviously applied to anyone wanting to harm, or someone whose mind was in turmoil and leaning towards a unfavorable decision... dangerous. Sarish blinked and blinked, shocked and worried and scared now.

I-I... I don't have bad intentions, I'm not...

James, James. James wouldn't have bad intentions. He must be able to see the path. The monk could tell, he could feel the powers draped all over this path, he knew this was an illusion. It was probably still wide and clear and clean and silently welcoming, but... but...

His alter stirred, but did not comment.

"J-james..." Sarish prompted quietly, eyes fixed on the illusion, swallowing nervously because why, how was this happening? He just wanted to go home... James must be able to see the path correctly. He doesn't have any bad intentions...

Nor do I. R-right?

Was James aware of the existence of these powers? Perhaps he was just terribly confused as to why his master was halted and staring a bit pale-faced at a perfectly normal road through the browning fall forest. He had to calm down, play it off as normal. And then immediately go to talk to someone. Because something had to be wrong, or there had been a misunderstanding... maybe the Head Master was busy and simply closed the path off completely until he could restore them to their proper job.

Yes. That had to be what was happening. R-relax, he prompted as he stepped down on what was supposed to be a huge root, his foot passing straight through it and disappearing into it. His heart rate accelerated. Relax, relax, the path is still there. This is meant to... deter people. To confuse them. J-just... "Why don't you lead the way, James?" Sarish suggested, managing to keep his tone fairly level despite his racing heart and thoughts. "My back is bothering me a bit, so I might slow down. You should go on ahead, anyway. We're almost there..."

Why hello there.
Sarish

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby stormy tom » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:18 pm

For once, James had made a good decision. He would not be slowing anybody down, or be bedridden for straining his leg. No, the brace was a good plan. It was getting him up this mountain with no more trouble than he would have walking normally without it.

Up and up they went, and James realized it was a little colder than he remembered... He tucked his hands into his jacket sleeves.

Then Sarish was faltering, and James immediately got ready to catch in case his friend's back had decided to give out... no, it wasn;t that. It was something... hesitation? Confusion? Fear? Maybe all of those. James frowned but nodded silently and took the lead, brushing past and through onto the path that looked perfectly normal to him. Clear, welcoming...

But he slowed. Maintained a steady, leisurely pace. There was no need to rush. Sure, the solid, quite hefty brace was a huge help, but it did not completely fix and eliminate the problem. James himself wouldn't mind slowing down.

And there was the monastery. Those steps he had first climbed when arriving. It did not seem so big now. But he knew he would be sore at the top. Alright, here goes... and he placed his foot on the first step.

And another, and another, all the way to the top, and then...

"James!" Carter was attacking him from the side, squeezing, nearly knocking his friend over, rambling scattered tales of the past month's adventures, excitedly liberating James of his gear and scampering off ahead to deposit it in his room. James chuckled and followed slowly, obeying the distant call to wait in the mess hall. Good, James had some things to hand out. He had not come back empty-handed for his friends. His family.

It was after dinner, so the hall was mostly empty, a few people filtering out. James sat down and decided to keep his jacket on, despite the long haul up the mountain. Carter returned soon after, face freezing when he caught sight of the sturdy brace strapped around his friend's damaged leg.

"Oh no, did something happen?"

"Common sense, for once," James replied with a calm chuckle.

Carter visibly relaxed. "Ah. Ah! I'll get some tea going. You guys sit down, I'll get everyone. Though, Sanjay probably already knows..."

Yes, he was home. and a little warmth trickled back in. Enough that James removed his coat. And he relaxed at the table. Home.
He/They
Art by me
stormy tom

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Sarish » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:57 am

Yes, there James went, completely undeterred as he walked ahead on the overgrown, unforgiving path, stepping through the illusion without incident... and Sarish realized he'd lose sight of him if he did not start moving. His legs were striding forward, but his mind was not. Why, how...? Why? Why? I don't, I'm not... and then he realized just how well this false land must work because James was stepping past bushes, through roots, disappearing into trees that grew on the path, what must be in the middle of it. This was meant to throw people off, to scare them, to make them think they were going crazy.

It was working. Sarish swore that he could feel a phantom sensation whenever he stepped through something, but he also couldn't step around it for fear of appearing to be skirting around nothing in the middle of the clean, clear, flat road. It was... it was...

Terrifying. Terrifying because he knew why the path sometimes closed itself off like this. Terrifying because this meant that something was wrong, that he must have intentions that he wasn't even aware of. Terrifying because he wanted to turn back, to leave so that whatever was wrong with him wouldn't be brought to the monastery. There was a reason, there was always a reason. Could a power truly make such a mistake? James was moving along just fine. Why would it single him out unless he truly....

Sarish swallowed, upset and afraid. He didn't know what to do, he didn't know what he should do. They had strayed from what he could see to be the only path-a thin, crooked line of a path-that undoubtedly looped around and joined up with the main road again. James was walking through dense undergrowth.

And then the monastery came into view between the low-hanging trees. There it was... rundown and covered in vines and crumbling, the roof caved in at the front, the imposing stairs cracked and nearly green with moss and weeds and hardy little flowers... Sarish blinked and the illusion faded, presenting him with his home in all its glory. A spike of fear impaled his heart and he almost turned tail and ran. But he knew better. This had never happened for him before, but he knew that all of this was part of the process to deter people... the end of it, actually. They were here, they were home, and there was Carter, tackling James at the top of the steps.

Suddenly home didn't seem so welcoming anymore. Sarish wanted to turn around and leave. Maybe go to the maple tree and try to sort it out. But that wouldn't be the right move. Sanjay might go find him and then that'd be a whole conversation that he wasn't sure he wanted to have... though if he continued forward they'd end up having it anyway. Onward and upward... I... I have to speak to the Head Master. I have to be completely honest, so he climbed the steps slowly, carefully, feeling the soreness in his back with every shift. He'd be stiff tomorrow.

Carter was already shepherding James away, so Sarish had to pick up the pace a bit or risk being left behind. And then he heard 'mess hall', and slowed down. At least he knew where to go. He passed only one person in the hall; an apprentice who looked surprised, but did not stop him or say anything, so the monk continued on his way. Just as he got to the dining hall he heard a rustle of feathers and stuck his arm out. The parrot landed carefully, flapping its wings once more before settling and turning to peer at him with one dark eye. "Welcome!" it rasped, shaking itself out.

Perfect.

"Hello, thank you..." Sarish responded, keeping his voice low. "I actually... can I talk to you? Is your vessel free right now?" the african gray considered him for a moment, imitating a songbird's chirp.

"Yes. Come!" and the monk visibly relaxed just a touch. At least this could be addressed right away.

"Actually, I'm going to speak with the Head Master," Sarish relayed, nodding to Carter and James and he backed away. "I'll see you both later," and then he turned and hobbled back out of the dining hall, thoughts alight as he padded towards the Head Master's study with the man's soul perched on his arm.

---

Sanjay had let his powers stay a bit more open recently. He knew that James and Sarish would be returning soon, and he wanted to know as soon as they got back. This turned out to be bad timing, however, as he and Kareena had been meditating when he located two very familiar minds heading towards the monastery. "They're back!" he yelled enthusiastically, scaring Kareena half to death as she jumped, her lotus form falling apart as she stared at her master wide-eyed. "Oh, sorry, sorry!" Sanjay amended, leaning over to pat her gently on the shoulder. "James and Master Sarish are back!" and then her eyes went wide for another reason entirely and she stood as he alerted Chihaya. It seemed as if Carter already knew.

They're back, they're back! What have they been up to? What happened in Canada? Did Sarish like it? What kind of adventures did they get into? How was the change? Did it rain a lot there? They don't have a monsoon season, do they? How is James' leg? How is Sarish's back? Sanjay wondered rapid fire, trotting swiftly through the halls with Kareena close at his heels. He had heard that they were planning to meet in the dining hall, and then had swiftly withdrawn his powers. He wanted to hear everything for himself, reading minds was like getting spoilers!

And there was James, James! sitting there and Carter was off making tea and Sarish... wasn't here yet. Sanjay stopped short, frowned, and activated his powers again. Where, where... ah, he was going to speak with the Head Master. It couldn't have waited? he thought exasperatedly, but continued on his way over to where his friend's apprentice sat.

"James!" he boomed when they were close enough, excitement clear in his body language. "Welcome back! How was it? Just the way you remembered? How did Sarish fare? What adventures did you two--" Sanjay started his flood of question, but petered off when Kareena touched his arm lightly. She was smiling just as widely.

"Welcome back, James. It's wonderful to see you again," she greeted quietly as they sat across from him.

"Ah, yes! You'll have to tell us all about it!" Sanjay confirmed, practically vibrating with happiness as his apprentice chuckled at him. Now everything can go back to normal...

Why hello there.
Sarish

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me