islands of the lost [a wild horse rpg - open & accepting!]

For roleplaying regular/real-world species with real-world limitations, e.g. cats, dogs, wolves, lions, bears.

islands of the lost [a wild horse rpg - open & accepting!]

Postby grapejuice » Thu Nov 09, 2023 2:34 pm

Welcome!

Greetings, traveler. Welcome to our home. Our home is a string of islands off the coast of North America. On the coastline you'll find your typical tropical climate; sandy beaches, crashing waves, and the occasional debris may wash ashore. As you travel towards the mainlands, the heart of the island, you'll find lush green fields, thick tree groves, and streams flowing aplenty. While this place may seem like paradise to those on the outside looking in, those who reside here know how difficult survival really is. Chances of hurricanes or typhoons, human invaders seeking to claim these lands, and of course, the harsh seasonal weather. Do you have what it takes to survive in the lands of the lost?

Rules & Information

- This is a semi-realistic wild horse rpg (where Tess's rules apply)
    * That means no unusual colors, powers, horns/wings, etc.
    - LGBTQ+ horses welcome! Geldings and infertile mares preferred for this. This is subject to removal if it persists as an issue.
    - Pony breeds are welcome, as we are loosely inspired by the ponies of Chincoteague
    - All literacy levels are welcome, but please aim for 3+ sentences per response
    - Intense violence and romance is not allowed, please fade to black when applicable
    - You can make as many characters as you can handle!
    - You may not have a mare in your own stallion's herd, but two of your mares can be in the same herd led by another player
    - Snaking/stealing mares from rival herds is allowed, and mares who are snaked cannot do anything about it
    * That means the mare cannot attempt to run away from her new herd. Her former stallion can try to steal her back if he is strong enough/experienced enough.
    - There will be no god-modding/power-playing
    - There will be no "perfect" characters-- being the best isn't everything!
    - If you have a problem with something, please take it to PM, or contact me personally for assistance
    *NEW* - Please do your best to keep ooc chats to character posts/replies! It helps keep the thread clear of spam :)
    *NEW* - Please do not mini-mod on my behalf! I'm on as frequently as I can manage and will catch things where I can. My mods Blumenkranz and lynettetan1 will also catch things and accept/reject forms as necessary.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stallions:
    There is usually only one stallion per herd. Their job is to collect mares and follow the band. They stay at the back of the herd making sure all of the band members keep up and don't stray off. They mate with most if not all of the mares in their bands.

Bachelor Stallions:
    A group of lone stallions without mares. They stick together as a form of protection until they get their own mares. There is usually one dominant stallion in bachelor herds. Bachelors typically spar, not to injure one another, but to practice for real fights they will face in the wild. When a mare gets involved these stallions will usually turn on each other and fights will break out, but when they work together they are a virtually unstoppable group.

Lone Stallions:
    Stallions who do not have any mares, and are not part of the bachelor herd. They're seen as pests and are despised by many, and seeing as they work alone they usually don't get a mare until they are six years old.

Lead Mare:
    Lead mare is usually the oldest and the most dominant mare. She is not chosen by the stallion, nor is she his favorite. Her job is to lead the herd to new grazing areas as well as water. As a form of respect, she will always get first drink. Other mares may challenge her for lead position, but usually only once. Mares are not typically aggressive, and fights for dominance usually only occur once before the horses understand their rankings. Lead mares are more dominant than the band stallion, and can drive him as well as any herd member out if she doesn't like their behavior.

Herd Mares:
    Once a pecking order is established, the mares will follow the lead mare as they are supposed to. Rarely will they argue or fight once rankings are set, as they are typically content once they are in place.

Lone Mares:
    Mares without a herd, and they simply need to find one.

Foals:
    Usually one foal is born out of a mare. Twins are extremely rare, and triplets are even more rare. If a mare is to birth more than one foal, she or the foals, or all of them will die. Rarely will all of them survive.
    * I will allow 3 sets of twins per foaling season. There will be a 1 in 5 chance one of the foals or the mother may not survive when this happens. Please message me to claim a twin set and roll your fate. [2/3 available]
    Stallions can kill foals that aren't theirs. Some can sense it, and will not want mixed bloodlines in their herds. Stallions will also kill a foal if something is wrong with it (premature, lame, etc)
    A filly (female foal) will typically stay with her herd until she is about three, before being driven off to prevent inbreeding.
    A colt (male foal) will stay until he is around two years old, when he no longer needs his mother, and will be driven out to join a bachelor herd.

Tame Horses:
    Whether it be escaping, being released, snaked by a wild horse, whatever reason it is, tame horses can end up in the wild. Usually they are not well adapted, and take time to get used to the lifestyle. They'll all most likely be weaker than the true wild horses, and have a harder time surviving. But that of course, doesn't mean it's not possible. Tame horses would not be possible in this setting, and therefore are not allowed.
    * While this roleplay is loosely based off of the Island of Chincoteague, it is assumed horses taken from the island are never to be heard from again. Geldings and infertile mares can be seen as a form of population control-- meaning humans could have intervened without the horse having ever been tamed/owned.

Additional Info:
    Stallions usually aren't capable of holding onto a mare until they are at least five years old.
    Older stallions are more experienced and will almost always win fights against younger stallions.
    Tame horses are capable of adapting to the wild, although not all can handle it and survive on the conditions. (weather, food availability, etc)
    Tame stallions will also rarely beat wild stallions in fights, regardless of age.
    All horses reach sexual maturity at the age of two and a half, but no younger.
    Stallions mating with multiple mares is to be expected, and other mares should not be jealous of this fact
    Lead mares are not appointed by the stallion, they are typically the more experienced and dominant in the herd

Mares have stages to their heats...
    0 - Not interested in a stallion whatsoever; this is typical during the winter season
    1 - Still not interested, and will likely act aggressively towards a stallion attempting to court her
    2 - Slightly interested, and is less likely to protest a stallion's attention
    3 - Interested in mating, and is more likely to accept a stallion
    4 - Standing heat, extremely interested in mating with any stallion-- whether she's in his herd or not

If you're not familiar with horses or wild horse dynamics, feel free to check out this article for more information.
Last edited by grapejuice on Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:39 am, edited 12 times in total.
grapejuice

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

weather & news

Postby grapejuice » Thu Nov 09, 2023 2:40 pm

Today's Forecast...

It is currently SPRING on the island

News wrote:Rain clouds have been seen rolling in off the coast! The weather is cool and slightly humid, with infrequent rain showers.
Mares who are pregnant will be giving birth, and those who are not are coming into heat. Stallions are rampaging to gather mares and breed, and everyone is losing their winter coat. Beware of predators seeking to snatch newborns!

Last edited by grapejuice on Thu Nov 16, 2023 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grapejuice

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

form & character list

Postby grapejuice » Thu Nov 09, 2023 2:49 pm

Form

Code: Select all
[list][size=85]
[i][b]name;;[/i][/b]
--
[i][b]age;;[/i][/b]
--
[i][b]gender;;[/i][/b]
--
[b][i]height;;[/i][/b]
--
[b][i]appearance;;[/i][/b]
--
[i][b]personality;;[/i][/b]
--
[i][b]rank;;[/i][/b]
--
[b][i]foals;;[/i][/b]
--[/list][/size]

Meet the Island Residents!

Herds wrote:

Lead Stallion: Detente | eight | played by lynettetan1
    Lead Mare: --
    Herd Mares: Jessaa | six | played by spiritstar3
    Foals: --

Lead Stallion: Corpse | eleven | played by grapejuice
    Herd Mares: Brownie | eight | played by spiritstar3

Lead Stallion: Hades | three | played by grapejuice
    Herd Mares: Laurel | four | played by spiritstar3

Bachelor Herd wrote:

- Ezekiel | two | played by blumenkranz
    - Pharao | three | played by queen of flames
    - Sphinx | three | played by queen of flames
    - Salem | three | played by green.
    - Vale | two | played by Icarus_UnderTheSea

Lone Stallions wrote:

- Morgue | eight | played by grapejuice
    - Hvitur | eleven | played by blumenkranz
    - Dann | ten | played by spiritstar3
    - Leopard | eight | played by spiritstar3
    - Codi | twenty | played by spiritstar3
    - Bouncanier | six | played by queen of flames
    - Damion | twelve | played by furrydogs12
    - Toklo | twelve | played by Icarus_UnderTheSea
    - Philip | six | played by spiritstar3

Lone Mares wrote:

- Wraith | ten | played by grapejuice
    - Gleam | six months | played by furrydogs12
    - Poltergeist | five | played by grapejuice
    - Redd | thirteen | played by grapejuice
    - Antoinette | three months | played by grapejuice
    - Eris | six | played by grapejuice

- Hawks | seven | played by grapejuice
    - Wendigo | nine | played by grapejuice
    - Celeste | five | played by blumenkranz
    - Persephone | nine | played by blumenkranz
    - Zinnia | three | played by blumenkranz
    - Scylla | eleven | played by lynettetan1
    - Charybdis | eleven | played by lynettetan1
    - Memory | six | played by lynettetan1
    - Voodoo | three | played by lynettetan1
    - Cosette | two | played by xstrawberryx
    - Cookie | six | played by spiritstar3
    - Dana | sixteen | played by spiritstar3
    - Ell | eighteen | played by spiritstar 3
    - Madeira | three and a half | played by queen of flames
    - Ouroboros | five | played by queen of flames
    - Erebos | two | played by queen of flames
    - Hurricane | sixteen | played by queen of flames
    - Twister | thirteen | played by queen of flames
    - Eclipse | five | played by furrydogs12
    - Prom | three | played by furrydogs12
    - Amadia | seven | played by furrydogs12
    - Siren | ten | played by furrydogs12
    - Euphoria | eight months | played by furrydogs12
    - Bisou | five | played by LunaClaw
    - Monarch | seven | played by LunaClaw
    - Isa | five | played by green.
    - Zora | eight | played by Icarus_UnderTheSea
    - Pistol | eleven | played by Icarus_UnderTheSea
    - Bonnie | four | played by spiritstar3
    - Jewel | eight | played by LunaClaw
    - Serena | three | played by LunaClaw
    - Chevry | four | played by SweetCarabella
    - Marionette | four | played by spiritstar3
    - Sorina | fourteen | played by azhefa.
    - Zenith | one week | colt of Sorina
    - Odette | ten | played by azhefa.
    - Felicity | yearling | filly of Odette

Geldings wrote:

- Tornado | sixteen | played by queen of flames
    - Kael | two | played by spiritstar3
    - Puff | three | played by furrydogs12
    - Nightmare | two | played by spiritstar3

Orphans wrote:

--
Last edited by grapejuice on Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:57 am, edited 7 times in total.
grapejuice

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

my characters - wip

Postby grapejuice » Thu Nov 09, 2023 2:50 pm

name;;
    in death's grip [corpse]
    age;;
    eleven
    gender;;
    stallion
    height;;
    16.3hh
    appearance;;
    x
    personality;;
    known for throwing his weight around, corpse is best described as a 'bully'. aggressive towards those smaller than him and a master agitator, he'd earned his fair share of battle scars over time. this combined with his larger stature gives him a rather daunting appearance, as well as an inflated ego. he loves the ladies, and the ladies love him, obviously. how could they not want the big, strong, hunky stallion with a haughty disposition? perhaps the best way to look at corpse is like your stereotypical high school football captain-- arrogant, show-off, and in need of a reality check.
    rank;;
    lone stallion
    foals;;
    i wonder...

name;;
    graveyard shift [morgue]
    age;;
    eight
    gender;;
    stallion
    height;;
    15.2hh
    appearance;;
    x
    personality;;
    younger brother to the pesky corpse, morgue is, thankfully, the lesser of two evils. while he looks up to his brother and often follows his lead, morgue is a bit more reserved, and far less assertive in comparison. he's not one to pick fights, preferring to keep the peace when and where possible. not being as bulky or large makes it harder for morgue to be taken seriously, and while he has a slight inferiority complex over it, he doesn't come off as obnoxious as his brother.
    rank;;
    lone stallion
    foals;;
    --

name;;
    six feet under [hades]
    age;;
    three
    gender;;
    stallion
    height;;
    16hh
    appearance;;
    x
    personality;;
    bold, brash, and a wannabe charmer, hades is known for being a flirt. he's overly confident, and persistent to the point he comes off as a pest. aside from being a pain in the rear, and the type to flirt with anything that has a pulse, he's your typical young bachelor. rowdy, inexperienced, and eager to take on anyone who "dares" to challenge him. you might say he gets it from his father, but that would imply the two even know that the other exists.
    rank;;
    bachelor stallion
    foals;;
    --

name;;
    ghost of you [wraith]
    age;;
    ten
    gender;;
    mare
    height;;
    15.3hh
    appearance;;
    x
    personality;;
    calm, level-headed, and quiet. wraith prefers to hang in the sidelines as a silent observer. if you can get this gal to open up, you'll come to realize she's just a gentle soul, with a heart of gold. wraith tends to take on a motherly role, always looking out for her herdmates and the youngins' they may bring into the world. having unfortunately lost several foals to the harsh weathers of the islands, wraith is hesitant about trying again.
    rank;;
    lone mare
    foals;;
    --

name;;
    voices in my head [poltergeist]
    age;;
    five
    gender;;
    mare
    height;;
    15.1hh
    appearance;;
    x
    personality;;
    timid and flighty in nature, poltergeist is a shy young thing. she's quick on her feet, and is cautious of those unfamiliar to her. submissive in nature, it doesn't take much to get her to fall in line. she's young, naive, and still finding her voice.
    rank;;
    lone mare
    foals;;
    --

name;;
    fly me to the moon [hawks]
    age;;
    seven
    gender;;
    mare
    height;;
    14.3hh
    appearance;;
    x
    personality;;
    a bit of a birdbrain, this girl only ever has one thing on her mind: bread speed. she is the definition of fast (but not furious) and is quite the rambunctious character. she loves to race and have fun, and overall is a very easygoing gal. she's the perfect mare to just vibe with and have a good time, be it for interesting conversations or exciting adventures. hawks isn't much for sitting still and keeping quiet, much to the dismay of her... companion
    rank;;
    lone mare
    foals;;
    --

name;;
    never ending nightmare [wendigo]
    age;;
    nine
    gender;;
    mare
    height;;
    16hh
    appearance;;
    x
    personality;;
    too young to be considered an old hack, too old to be considered a lithe young filly. wendigo stands smack dab in the middle, a grumpy mare with a whole lot of life left to live and give. a bit on the snarky side, wendigo finds pleasure in gossiping and enjoying quick-witted banter with fellow band mates and stallion. fairly kind, strong-willed, and confident, it'll take a special someone to really 'wow' her. unfortunately, she is being trailed by a chatterbox of a little hyperactive mare, and swears she can feel the migraines sending her to an early grave.
    rank;;
    --
    foals;;
    --

my mares eris and redd [with baby antoinette] are temporarily on pause while they're better fleshed out
Last edited by grapejuice on Mon Dec 11, 2023 9:26 pm, edited 10 times in total.
grapejuice

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: form & character list

Postby Spiritstar3 » Thu Nov 09, 2023 3:39 pm

Do we need to use images for the horses? I DO have Oekaki images of horses if that works, but I'm not using Google images because they tend to break or get removed because they're apparently not free use]
Spiritstar3

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: islands of the lost [a wild horse rpg - open & accepting

Postby grapejuice » Thu Nov 09, 2023 4:01 pm

not necessary! feel free to use a basic appearance description, or if you have art/characters you want to use feel free <3
grapejuice

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Spiritstar3 » Thu Nov 09, 2023 4:05 pm

XD cool
Should I reserve a post, or am I allowed to do forms now?

(Link:

Forum/viewtopic.php?f=125&t=4914583

XD)
Spiritstar3

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Blumenkranz » Thu Nov 09, 2023 8:10 pm

name;;
    hvitur
    age;;
    11 years
    gender;;
    stallion
    height;;
    15 hh
    appearance;;
    here
    personality;;
    a friendly extrovert, hvitur enjoys meeting new horses and making friends. he is known to be gentle and enjoys looking after other horses. despite his generally kind nature, he is not without his thorns. though he prefers to avoid confrontations if possible, he is unafraid to defend himself or others if necessary.
    rank;;
    lone stallion
    foals;;
    none

name;;
    ezekiel
    age;;
    2 years
    gender;;
    stallion
    height;;
    16.1 hh
    appearance;;
    here
    personality;;
    ezekiel is rather naive and inexperienced, as well as shy around strangers. he in't too confident in himself and relies on the guidance of others. upon warming up to others, he is known to be quite friendly and even adventurous, curious in the world around him.
    rank;;
    bachelor
    foals;;
    none

name;;
    celeste
    age;;
    5 years
    gender;;
    mare
    height;;
    15.2 hh
    appearance;;
    here
    personality;;
    overall friendly as long as she is not given a reason to be otherwise. playful and curious, she has a tendency to stick her nose where it doesn't belong. a bit of a goofball who loves to mess around, but generally has the awareness to know when she needs to be serious.
    rank;;
    lone mare
    foals;;
    none

name;;
    persephone
    age;;
    nine years
    gender;;
    mare
    height;;
    15.1 hh
    appearance;;
    here
    personality;;
    persephone is out of her element, once belonging to humans but now finding herself in the wild. she enjoys the freedom of her new life and is curious about other horses, but her lack of experience and instinct causes her to be at easily spooked and uncertain when thrown into new situations. despite her apprehensions, she wants to toughen up and rarely complains when things aren't easy.
    rank;;
    lone mare
    foals;;
    none

name;;
    zinnia
    age;;
    3 years
    gender;;
    mare
    height;;
    14.3 hh
    appearance;;
    here
    personality;;
    a bit shy at first, but warms up to others quickly. zinnia is sweet but rather passive, as she is more of a follower and prefers that others make big decisions for her. she is not the most talkative, and though enjoys the safety of a herd, has a tendency to keep to herself.
    rank;;
    lone mare
    foals;;
    none
Last edited by Blumenkranz on Fri Nov 10, 2023 6:11 pm, edited 13 times in total.
Blumenkranz

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby lynettetan1 » Fri Nov 10, 2023 2:53 am

Res for my charries!

name;; Winter's reprieve. (Dètente, or Dee)
    --
    age;; 8
    --
    gender;; Stallion
    --
    height;; 16.2
    --
    appearance;; I'm always a sucker for a pretty seal boy
    --
    personality;; Precise, logical, kind. Not the most domineering and is more on the cautious side, but has been in his fair share of fights and will step up when challenged. Grows more aggressive to outsiders when he has a herd because he'd have something to protect and takes no chances, but when he's alone is more easy going and affable. Sometimes worried and insecure that he isn't enough, but it's not entirely based out of paranoia-he knows he's young for a band stallion, and so he often tells himself not to get too attached, but he can't help but get attached to those he spends time with, especially if they are kind. A dreamer who often reins himself in.
    --
    rank;; Bachelor stallion (though I'm open to him starting as a herd stallion or part of a bachelor band if anyone wants to PM me also)
    --
    foals;;
    Many, but none in rp
    --

name;; Scylla
    --
    age;; 11
    --
    gender;; Mare
    --
    height;; 16.1
    --
    appearance;; Does my fire scare you? Or do you burn just the same?
    --
    personality;; Seductive, secretive, more of a leader type, thinks on her feet and is logical. At the depths of it, however, lies a dormant hunger that burns. She will take what she can because she can, and whilst she will accept it if she is outclassed, she will always be watching for her chance. You have to be on your toes around this mare.
    --
    rank;; Lone mare
    --
    foals;; Many, but none in rp

Charybdis (sister)
    --

name;; Charybdis
    --
    age;; 11
    --
    gender;; Mare
    --
    height;; 16.0
    --
    appearance;; Front, Side
    A rich red like her sister, with a whirlpool swirling round her head and muzzle.
    --
    personality;; Loving, impulsive, greedy, all-or-nothing. Likes to take the limelight but loves in excess. She loves and hates in extremes, and as such can be terribly vengeful. Hungers like her sister, but is more upfront and true about it. She can get a little crazy, especially if she's allowed to hold the reins, but that is only because she is strong and knows that she can handle it. If someone manages to prove to her that they're stronger, she will stand down and respect them, but if not... Just know that if you bite her, this fiery lady bites back hard.
    --
    rank;; Lone mare
    --
    foals;;
    Many, but none in rp

Scylla (sister)
    --

name;; A Forgotten Tale (Memory)
    --
    age;; 6
    --
    gender;; Mare
    --
    height;; 15.1
    --
    appearance;; Dapples are a girl's best friend
    --
    personality;; Sweetest thing you'll ever meet. Gentle, kind and loves the company of others. However, a little too easily overpowered, and tends to cower when met with strength. Submissive.
    --
    rank;; Lone mare
    --
    foals;;
    One or two, but not in rp

--

name;; Rituals Under Twilight (Voodoo)
    --
    age;; 3
    --
    gender;; Mare
    --
    height;; 16.2
    --
    appearance;; Wanna join me?
    --
    personality;; Rough and tumble, but an affable, honest personality. Means well but sometimes is a little too exuberant for the more put together horses. She doesn't mean to be quite so much, however, and as such if you are firm about the pace you need, she's usually happy to accommodate as she loves the company.
    --
    rank;; Lone mare
    --
    foals;; None
    --
Last edited by lynettetan1 on Tue Nov 14, 2023 2:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
lynettetan1

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby xstrawberryx » Fri Nov 10, 2023 5:11 am

name;; ☀C o s e t t e☀
    --
    age;; 2yrs
    --
    gender;; Mare
    --
    height;; 14 hands
    --
    appearance;; Chestnut
    --
    personality;; Soft spoken, can sometimes be moody short handed, inpatient
    --
    rank;; herd mare
    --
    foals;; none
    --
Last edited by xstrawberryx on Mon Nov 13, 2023 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xstrawberryx

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me