Snowy mountain Brumbies - open and accepting

For roleplaying regular/real-world species with real-world limitations, e.g. cats, dogs, wolves, lions, bears.

Snowy mountain Brumbies - open and accepting

Postby eventer » Sat Sep 23, 2023 6:41 pm

welcome to the snowy mountains of Australia
Last edited by eventer on Sat Sep 23, 2023 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eventer

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Snowy mountain Brumbies - rules and facts

Postby eventer » Sat Sep 23, 2023 6:42 pm

do I really need to write these?

- follow all site rules -
- breeds must be predominantley brumby, meaning you can have brumby x stock horse, but preferably keep them all brumby -
- brumbies are predominantley a mix of a few different breed, usually stock horse crosses. -
- no mustangs, mustangs do not live in australia -
- foals at the start of roleplay must be 0-7 days or 8 - 12 months old to align with the start of spring -
- experience does matter when it comes to age, however, the horses breed also comes into affect. eg below -
- horses will begin to weaken by the age of 18, heavier draft mixes will begin to weaken by the age of 16 -
- mares and stallions will remain fertile till death. that said, mares may misscarry more after the age of 18, and the risk of death is about 75% more after the age of 23 -
- do expect at least a paragraph per horse, however writers block is understandable, if you don't muse, you don't have to post for all your characters -
- i will allow only three sets of twins per year, you will be required to message me. first in first serve, more than three sets of twins may be born per year, but one or both foals must die -
- no ponies or miniatures allowed period -
- must ask that you disable your signatures on this thread -
- there will be a limited slot for stallions, for every stallion you make, you must make two mares. if you only want one character as a stallion, you must message me first -
- you can play up to 50 characters if your comfortable playing that many, but you must keep tem all active or kill some off -
- there are no crushes/mates. Stallions may have a favourite mare, doenst mean she’s the lead mare -
- lead mare hierarchy works like stallions fighting, older mares will lead unless submissive in nature, if a 12 year old mare joins a herd with the oldest mare being 7, 9/10 times the young mare will back off after one dominant action from the older mare, even if fairly dominant herself -

- experience example -

12 year old stallion watches over his herd of 24 mares and 15 foals. a younger 5-8year old bachelor who seems to have two young mares has come in to challenge for some of the older stallions mares. after greeting respectfully, the fight begins. the younger stallion may appear more agile, but the older stallion has more experience and his blows will be more accurate on where he is aiming. by the end of the fight, the young stallion will back off reasonably quickly and in turn if the older stallion feels like it, will claim the younger stallions two mares by driving them towards his herd. the lead mare will be there to alert the stallion if the bachelor attempts to sneak back in, he will have about a 25% chance of success if the older stallion is distracted with his other mares. it's almost not worth it.

if there is a 2 year age gap between stallions, the older stallion will always win. this works until the older stallion is 18, then if a stallion around 15 comes to challenge him, the younger stallion will win.

information on some breeds you may choose to use/cross your horses with

brumby
      a brumby is a free-roaming feral horse in australia. although found in many areas around the country, the best-known brumbies are found in the australian alps region. today, most of them are found in the northern territory, with the second largest population in queensland. a group of brumbies is known as a "mob" or "band”. brumbies are the descendants of escaped or lost horses, dating back in some cases to those belonging to the early european settlers. today they live in many places, including some national parks, notably alpine national park in victoria, barrington tops national park and kosciuszko national park in nsw, and carnarvon national park in queensland. occasionally they are mustered and domesticated for use as campdrafters, working stock horses on farms or stations, but also as trail horses, show horses, pony club mounts and pleasure horses. they are the subject of some controversy – regarded as a pest and threat to native ecosystems by environmentalists and the government, but also valued by others as part of australia's heritage, with supporters working to prevent inhumane treatment or extermination, and rehoming brumbies who have been captured.

there are no known predators of feral horses in australia, although it is possible that dingoes or wild dogs occasionally take foals.

brumbies range between 13’2 and 16’0 hands

warmblood
      warmbloods are a group of middle-weight horse types and breeds primarily originating in europe and registered with organizations that are characterized by open studbook policy, studbook selection, and the aim of breeding for equestrian sport. the term distinguishes these horses from both heavy draft horses ("cold bloods") and refined light saddle horses such as the thoroughbred, arabian, and akhal-teke ("hot bloods"). although modern warmbloods are descended from heavier agricultural types systematically upgraded by hotblood influence, the term does not imply that warmbloods are direct crosses of "cold" and "hot" more information will depend on the type of warmblood. please note there are several types of warmbloods and they all vary

thoroughbred
      the thoroughbred is a horse breed best known for its use in horse racing. thoroughbreds are considered "hot-blooded" horses that are known for their agility, speed, and spirit. thoroughbred racehorses perform with maximum exertion, which has resulted in high accident rates and health problems such as bleeding from the lungs. other health concerns include low fertility, abnormally small hearts and a small hoof-to-body-mass ratio. the typical thoroughbred ranges from 15.2 to 17.0 hands high, however can be go outside those ranges. they are most often bay, dark bay or brown, chestnut, black, or grey. less common colors recognized in the united states include roan and palomino. white is very rare, but is a recognized color separate from gray. the face and lower legs may be marked with white, but white will generally not appear on the body. coat patterns that have more than one color on the body, such as Pinto or Appaloosa, are not recognized by mainstream breed registries. good-quality thoroughbreds have a well-chiseled head on a long neck, high withers, a deep chest, a short back, good depth of hindquarters, a lean body, and long legs.

standardbred
      standardbreds tend to be more muscled and longer bodied than the thoroughbred. they also are of more placid dispositions, as suits horses whose races involve more strategy and more changes of speed than do thoroughbred races. standardbreds are considered people-oriented, easy-to-train horses. they are solid, well-built horses with good dispositions. they are generally a bit heavier in build than thoroughbreds, but have refined, solid legs and powerful shoulders and hindquarters. standardbreds have a wide range of heights, from 14 to 17 hands, although most are between 15 and 16 hands. they are most often bay, brown or black,although other colors such as chestnut are seen. grey and roan are also found

arabian
      with a distinctive head shape and high tail carriage, the arabian is one of the most easily recognizable horse breeds in the world. It is also one of the oldest breeds. arabian horses have refined, wedge-shaped heads, a broad forehead, large eyes, large nostrils, and small muzzles. most display a distinctive concave, or "dished" profile. many arabians also have a slight forehead bulge between their eyes, called the jibbah by the bedouin, that adds additional sinus capacity, believed to have helped the Arabian horse in its native dry desert climate. another breed characteristic is an arched neck with a large, well-set windpipe set on a refined, clean throatlatch. this structure of the poll and throatlatch was called the mitbah or mitbeh by the bedouin. In the ideal arabian it is long, allowing flexibility in the bridle and room for the windpipe. arabians usually stand between 14.1 to 15.1 hands tall, with the occasional individual over or under. the arabian coat colors are generally bay, gray, chestnut, black, and roan. bay, gray and chestnut are the most common; black is less common. the classic roan gene does not appear to exist in arabians rather, arabians who appear roan are usually expressing rabicano or, sometimes, sabino patterns with roan features. all arabians, no matter their coat color, have black skin, except under white markings. black skin provided protection from the intense desert sun. purebred arabians never carry dilution genes. therefore, purebreds cannot be colors such as dun, cremello, palomino or buckskin. there are six known genetic disorders in arabian horses. two are inevitably fatal, two are not inherently fatal but are disabling and usually result in euthanasia of the affected animal; the remaining conditions can usually be treated (research for information).

quarter horse
      the quarter horse has a small, short, refined head with a straight profile, and a strong, well-muscled body, featuring a broad chest and powerful, rounded hindquarters. they usually stand between 14 and 16 hands high, although some halter-type and english hunter-type horses may grow as tall as 17 hands. there are two main body types: the stock type and the hunter or racing type. the stock horse type is shorter, more compact, stocky and well-muscled, yet agile. the racing and hunter type quarter horses are somewhat taller and smoother muscled than the stock type, more closely resembling the thoroughbred. quarter horses come in nearly all colors. the most common color is sorrel, a brownish red, part of the color group called chestnut by most other breed registries. other recognized colors include bay, black, brown, buckskin, palomino, gray, dun, red dun, grullo (also occasionally referred to as blue dun), red roan, blue roan, bay roan, perlino, cremello, and white.

australian stock horse
      the australian stock horse is bred for intelligence, courage, toughness, and stamina. the horse will be sound, agile and quick moving with a sure-footed walk. it will have a calm, responsive temperament. all colours are acceptable. height ranges from 14 to 16.2 hands.

american paint horse
      the terms "paint" and "pinto" are sometimes both used to describe paint horses. but "paint" horses are the breed and "pinto" is actually the colouring of the horse. similar information to the quarter horse and stock horse however are always pinto coloured or solid coloured.

clydesdale
      today, the clydesdale stands 16 to 18 hands high and weighs 1,800 to 2,000 pounds. some mature males are larger, standing taller than 18 hands and weighing up to 2,200 pounds. the breed has a straight or slightly convex facial profile, broad forehead, and wide muzzle. it is well muscled and strong, with an arched neck, high withers, and a sloped shoulder. their gaits are active, with clearly lifted hooves and a general impression of power and quality. cydesdales are energetic, with a manner described by the clydesdale horse society as a "gaiety of carriage and outlook". clydesdales have been identified to be at risk for chronic progressive lymphedema, a disease with clinical signs that include progressive swelling, hyperkeratosis, and fibrosis of distal limbs that is similar to chronic lymphedema in humans. another health concern is a skin condition on the lower leg where feathering is heavy. colloquially called "clyde's itch", it is thought to be caused by a type of mange. clydesdales are also known to develop sunburn on any pink (unpigmented) skin around their faces. clydesdales are usually bay in colour, but a roaning pattern, black, grey, and chestnut also occur. most have white markings, including white on the face, feet, and legs, and occasional body spotting (generally on the lower belly). they also have extensive feathering on their lower legs. roaning, body spotting, and extensive white markings are thought to be the result of sabino genetics.

shire horse
      Shire colours may be black, bay, brown, roan or grey while not common, there are chestnuts. height varies from 16"2 to about 19"0 hands however some may vary either way. the head of a shire is long and lean, with large eyes, set on a neck that is slightly arched and long in proportion to the body. the shoulder is deep and wide, the chest wide, the back muscular and short and the hindquarters long and wide. not too much feathering occurs on the legs, and the hair is fine, straight, and silky

gypsy vanner
      the gypsy horse is usually, but not always, piebald. it may also be skewbald or any solid colour; a solid-coloured horse with white splashing on the underbelly is called "blagdon" or "splashed". they usually range from 13"0 to 16"0 hands. a gypsy horse's facial profile should be straight, neither overly dished nor roman nosed. a "sweet" head, more refined than that of most draught horses. the neck is strong, muscular, and of medium length "with a throat latch slightly deeper than lighter breeds". the chest should be broad, deep, and well muscled. withers are "well rounded, not high and fine, i.e., hardly noticeable". most standards call for a "well-sloped" shoulder. the gypsy horse's are usually a strong, kind, (very) intelligent partner that works willingly and harmoniously with its handler. they are also described as mannerly and manageable, eager to please, confident, courageous, alert, and loyal with a genuine sociable outlook. the gypsy horse is renowned for its gentle, tractable nature and sensible disposition

belgium draft
      the belgian heavy draft horse stands between 16.2 and 17 hands. on average the belgian grows to weigh slightly over 2000 pounds. most american belgians are a light chestnut with a flaxen mane and tail. the head is relatively small and well-shaped. american belgians in north america are not as large as the european brabant but are of a similar build.

all information sourced from wikipedia (even if they don't know everything) so if you want more information, go there c:
Last edited by eventer on Sun Sep 24, 2023 1:37 am, edited 5 times in total.
eventer

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Snowy mountain Brumbies - seasons

Postby eventer » Sat Sep 23, 2023 6:42 pm

xxxSEASONSxxx

summer
in summer, days grow long and hot. nights are short, but offer a few hours of comfortable temperatures. many horses migrate toward water sources or shade, seeking to hide from the afternoon sun. mares are still in heat, though by this point all foals from the previous year will have already been born. stallion are still on the search for more mares, while lead mares move the herd to a cooler location. despite the heat, summer is an active season. young stallions show off, yearling mares get whisked away, and band stallions are daring enough to attempt stealing a mare or two. rain is not common in summer, and if it does it is often a warm, heavy rain that lasts only a couple hours at most.

autumn
with autumn comes the return of cooler temperatures. nights and mornings are chilly, hinting at the freezing months to follow. rain becomes more common, and the colors of the land begin to fade. turning from dark green to vibrant oranges and reds, until the earth is taken over by a dull gray. mares are rarely in heat during autumn, but those covered in spring may start to foal. should this happen, there is a slim chance that said mares may go into heat for the remaining weeks of autumn, but may not always accept a stallion.

winter
winter. snow coats the ground, the earth is blanketed in a glistening white, and temperatures drop. foals can be born throughout the winter months, however not all will survive the freezing the temperatures. mares are never in heat, and stallions are calm, instead fighting against predators whom may use the horses's weakened state to attack. food must be dug out from under the snow, and thin layers of ice may have to broken to reach water.

spring
spring, the season of new life. temperatures rise to a comfortable level, snow melts away, revealing new growth, and animals come out of hiding. in spring, mares are beginning to go back into heat, and some late foals may even be born. new herds are forming, old ones expanding, while yearlings venture away from home to find their own place in the wilderness. rain is common, and clouds always dot the sky.
eventer

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

stallions

Postby eventer » Sat Sep 23, 2023 10:08 pm

reserve names -
    Loki
    Posiden

YARRAMEN

name. yarramen
    n.name. n.a
    age. fourteen
    gender. stallion
    breed. brumby (60%) x thorughbred (40%)
    height. 15'2
    coat colour. sorrel chestnut
    mane/tail colour. sorrel chestnut
    eye colour. dark brown
    markings. star, snip, stripe, one sock front right
    progeny. freyja, charlie, lucifer and multiple not in rp
    mares. none
    dam. a brumby x thoroughbred
    sire. a brumby

LUCIFER

name. lucifer
    n.name. luci
    age. eight
    gender. stallion
    breed. brumby (75%) x thoroughbred (25%)
    height. 15"1
    coat colour. dapple grey
    mane/tail colour. grey, black, cream in tail
    eye colour. a light amber
    markings. none
    progeny. none in rp
    mares. none
    dam. a brumby
    sire. yarramen, brumby x thoroughbred
Last edited by eventer on Sat Sep 23, 2023 10:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.
eventer

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Mares

Postby eventer » Sat Sep 23, 2023 10:10 pm

reserve names
Pandora / panda
Diva
Minx

FREYJA

name. freyja
    n.name. n.a
    age. eleven
    gender. mare
    breed. brumby (50%) x arabian (25%) x thoroughbred (25%)
    height. 15"1
    coat colour. white/grey
    mane/tail colour. white/grey
    eye colour. amber
    markings. snip
    progeny. athena
    stallion. none
    dam. a brumby x arabian mix

adult

ATHENA

name. athena
    n.name. n.a
    age. 1 week
    gender. filly
    breed. brumby (70%) x arabian (15%) x thoroughbred (15%)
    height. mature 14"3
    coat colour. dark bay
    mane/tail colour. black
    eye colour. amber
    markings. 4 white socks, blaze
    progeny. too young
    stallion. none
    dam. freyja, brumby x arabian x thoroughbred
    sire. unknown brumby, grand sire is yarramen

ADDALINNE

name. addalinne
    n.name. addy
    age. fifteen
    gender. mare
    breed. brumby (84%) x stock horse (16%)
    height. 15"3
    coat colour. buckskin tobiano
    mane/tail colour. black and white
    eye colour. dark amber brown
    markings. tobiano
    progeny. gracie
    stallion. none
    dam. a brumby mare
    sire. a brumby x stock horse (25%) stallion

adult

GRACIE

name. gracie
    n.name. n.a
    age. unborn
    gender. filly
    breed. brumby (50%) x stock horse (8%) x arabian (42%)
    height. mature 15"2
    coat colour. bay
    mane/tail colour. black
    eye colour. brown
    markings. star, snip, patch on left side of her belly
    progeny. none
    stallion. none
    dam. addalinne, brumby x stock horse
    sire. unknown brumby x arabian

CHARLIE

name. charlie
    n.name. n.a
    age. seven
    gender. mare
    breed. brumby (65%) x thoroughbred (35%)
    height. 16'0
    coat colour. sorrel chestnut overo
    mane/tail colour. sorrel
    eye colour. blue
    markings. overo markings
    progeny. none in rp
    stallion. none
    dam. unknown brumby
eventer

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Snowy mountain Brumbies - open and accepting

Postby Spiritstar3 » Sat Sep 23, 2023 10:58 pm

Do we need to use pictures, or do descriptions work?
I used to use pictures but they kept getting removed or breaking...]

Reserved names:
Starling and Samhain

Dinozzo
Name
Dinozzo
Nickname
Di
Breed
Brumby (55%) Standardbred (45%)
Height
16 hands
Coat color
Brown
Mane and tail color
Brown
Eye color
Blue
Markings
Snip, three socks
Foals
Not yet
Mares
Open (he likes Charlie)
Parents
Stallion x mare (probably both Brumby Morgan crosses)

Neo
Name
Neo
Nickname
Nope
Breed
Brumby (52%) Australian Stock horse (48%)
Height
16 hands
Coat color
Brown
Mane and tail color
Brown
Eye color
Brown
Markings
Blaze, coronet, two socks
Foals
Not yet
Mares
Open
Parents
Stallion x mare
Last edited by Spiritstar3 on Mon Sep 25, 2023 2:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Spiritstar3

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Spiritstar3 » Sun Sep 24, 2023 1:14 am

Ill do pics later maybe
I feel like the coat and eye and mane tail and markings stuff is enough to visualize the horses]

Chocolate
Name
Chocolate
Nickname
Choco
Breed
Brumby (60%) x Warmblood (40%)
Height
16 hands
Coat color
Brown
Mane and tail color
Brown
Eye color
Brown
Markings
No
Foals
Cookie Pie
Stallion
Open
Parents
Brumby stallion x Brumby Warmblood mare (idk)

Cookie Pie
Name
Cookie Pie
Nickname
Cookie
Breed
Brumby x Quarter horse x Warmblood
Height
15.2 hands
Coat color
Dun
Mane and tail color
Brown
Eye color
Brown
Markings
Nope
Foals
Not yet
Stallion
Open
Parents
Stallion (55% Brumby 45% Quarter horse) x Chocolate

Sugar Cookie
Name
Sugar Cookie
Nickname
Sugar
Breed
Brumby (60%) x Thoroughbred (40%)
Height
16. 2 hands
Coat color
Palomino
Mane and tail color
White or very light blonde (hard to tell)
Eye color
Brown
Markings
Star, snip, socks
Foals
Not yet
Stallion
Open
Parents
Brumby stallion x Brumby Thoroughbred mare (idk)

Jessika
Name
Jessika
Nickname
Jess
Breed
Brumby (53%) x Paint (47%)
Height
16 hands
Coat color
Red
Mane and tail color
Red and white
Eye color
Brown
Markings
Tobiano
Foals
Not yet
Stallion
Open (likes Lucifer)
Parents
Stallion x mare (both probably Brumby Paint mixes)

(I don't actually know how to calculate...I hated math in school)
Spiritstar3

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby eventer » Sun Sep 24, 2023 1:38 am

{ accepted }
eventer

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Spiritstar3 » Sun Sep 24, 2023 7:57 pm

XD thank you

Edit: never mind, Starling and Samhain are both future foals.
I'll probably have Neo be the name of my second stallion]
Spiritstar3

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Swiftie. » Mon Sep 25, 2023 2:48 pm

X