Drawing

Need help with the site/forum/pets? Ask questions and get help from other members here.

Drawing

Postby NinthWolf » Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:24 am

hi there,

this isn't so much CS related but drawing related-

I just wanted to know, often i look through well known artist's gallery, and on their first art's ever made, the drawings are good/average, and then suddenly about 1 page into the back of their gallery they suddenly turn amazing at art, i was just wondering- how do you suddenly go from an average drawer to an amazing drawer?
I really would like to find this out- looking at my gallery, i am now way near epic standard- i would like to be known for my art...
Thanks
Any tips, help, and tutoring is a great great help! Thank You everyone!
Fursona
Signature art by Emberwolf and avatar by Spotty

Not too active on here anymore but I still check back if you need anything!
NinthWolf

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Drawing

Postby Spirit Of The Fayth » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:01 am

Do you mean that all the art in the back of their gallery is amazing and all the art in the front of their gallery is sub-par? I'm not entirely understand what you are saying.

But if all their newer art is amazing, it might mean that they have improved.
ImageImageImageImageImage

------

I do not care if I offend anyone. I say what I feel. If I say anything that offends you, then get over it. I do not live to please you.
Spirit Of The Fayth

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Linsang » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:13 am

Well, there could be a big time gap between the oekakis in which they improved, maybe. If they had done a lot of digital art off-oekaki then it could've had a big effect on their art, or they could've tried a new technique which ended up working well for them.

Responses may be slow due to IRL obligations, bear with me. I'm an adult and my pronouns are they/them!
Music recommendation from me! :D
Linsang

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby NinthWolf » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:25 am

- i mean their oldest pieces are usually sub-bar.
- I understand they may/probably have improved, but- i just want to know how, looking at some there are meerly weeks/months between the arts they improve.
Fursona

NinthWolf

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Linsang » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:28 am

*sub-par
Well, seeing as the oekaki is kind of confusing at first, my guess would be that they had gotten more used to the program and its techniques. Also, it's possible they downloaded pen pressure or something.

Responses may be slow due to IRL obligations, bear with me. I'm an adult and my pronouns are they/them!
Linsang

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby NinthWolf » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:38 am

hm yes- also, would it be possible for you to explain what pen-pressure is? i know what a pen and what pressure is, but i'm not sure how it affects a drawing.
Fursona

NinthWolf

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Linsang » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:41 am

Basically, when pen pressure is turned on, the tablet reacts to how hard you press down on it with the pen. It uses this information to change an attribute of the stroke you draw, such as opacity or the width of the line. It makes things feel more natural, like drawing on paper.
Hope I helped!

Linsang

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Tuike » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:47 am

There's no tricks to improving and getting better, it's all about practise. :]
It's probably good idea to focuse on anatomy first and less on the style - might sound boring, but that's just how is usually is. ^^; It's easier to gradually develope your own style after you've got a good hang of anatomy, rather than vice-versa.
Look up tutorials on different things, you can find many on Deviantart. Referencing is also a good way to improve on anatomy, but remember not to overdo it. Here's a wonderful guide to referencing correctly! :]
While it's important you enjoy doing art, you should be open to criticism as well - it might be hard to tell yourself if something is off or so. I also suggest, if possible, that you mirror your image every now and then - it's easier to spot if something looks uneven or funny that way!

As for pen pressure... Linsang covered it pretty well, but I'll say something too;
You know how the line thickness varies when you draw traditionally? if you press harder, the line will be thicker. If you draw on computer without pen pressure, the line will of the same thickness all the time and doesn't flow as nicely or "naturally".

Lastly, if you want to get crits, comments and tips check out Artist army and Anthro & Quad union. The redliners might also be able to help you. ^^ Remember to read the thread rules before posting!
Ask me anything on Formspring
Extraordinaly beautiful signature pic made by CHIA BBY <3
Tuike

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby NinthWolf » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:24 am

Thanks everyone! Very helpful! I think my thread is solved now! Thank you.
Fursona

NinthWolf

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me