I'm Sorry

Need help with the site/forum/pets? Ask questions and get help from other members here.

I'm Sorry

Postby Viva la Gloria! » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:06 am

I've been issued two board warnings since I started ChickenSmoothie. One time I swore (when I was new), another I supposedly insulted someone's religion (something about finding Jesus attractive). I thought it'd be okay, but they threatened to ban me if I make any more mistakes. I never meant to break the rules, and would be utterly devastated if I was banned and lost all my pets.

I love this site, I work hard for my pet collection and would never cheat or try to hurt anyone.

How do I know if I say something that's offensive/disrespectful? I rarely express my opinions on here because I fear someone who doesn't like them will report me. Maybe I'm just weird. While I don't agree, I sincerely regret saying those things and will be more careful in the future. I apologize to the community of ChickenSmoothie.

:(
Vance <3

Pet's name: Vance

Named after this chap here:
http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Vance_(Fallout_3)

Viva la Gloria!

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: I'm Sorry

Postby Shian » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:21 am

Try reading what you wrote out before you post it with the point of view that you've never read it before. Ask yourself if it might be offensive to someone.
ImageImage
Come buy old rare pets in bulk for gems!
Shian

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Viva la Gloria! » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:36 am

-Firestar- wrote:Try reading what you wrote out before you post it with the point of view that you've never read it before. Ask yourself if it might be offensive to someone.

I intend no disrespect, but anything I say might be offensive to someone. I'm currently posting a reply to the popular, "Abortion: Good or Bad?" thread, everyone's freely expressing their clashing views so surely I can too?
Vance <3

Viva la Gloria!

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Shian » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:13 am

I highly doubt that everyone is freely expressing their views. Especially on a debate thread like that. You need to have somewhat of a politically correct post on any debate thread.
"I think it's stupid" is a good example of what's 'not allowed' to post. Or trying to project things on to other people. People may -think- that, but it's not a good idea to post it because it hurts others feelings.
ImageImage
Shian

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Leurai » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:22 am

another I supposedly insulted someone's religion (something about finding Jesus attractive

No no, your comment was worded in probably the most insulting and offensive way possible. :| If you can't be civil, you should stay away from debate topics on this site.
Leurai

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Viva la Gloria! » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:55 am

-Firestar- wrote:I highly doubt that everyone is freely expressing their views. Especially on a debate thread like that. You need to have somewhat of a politically correct post on any debate thread.
"I think it's stupid" is a good example of what's 'not allowed' to post. Or trying to project things on to other people. People may -think- that, but it's not a good idea to post it because it hurts others feelings.

"Oh man you guys, my recommendation is that you don't bother, it is an offensive, biased, over-dramatic and ridiculous mess and a total waste of half an hour. It's very repetitive." Says Garrus.

I assume THAT should be reported?
And well, almost every other comment giving a 'negative' opinion.
All we can do is project our feelings onto others, we don't magically know what they're thinking. I try to take everything light-heartedly, but you and the CS staff are hurting my feelings, maybe I should report that too.

If there's gonna be ANY freedom of speech on CS, people are just gonna have to get used to conflicting views.
Vance <3

Viva la Gloria!

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Viva la Gloria! » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:05 am

Leurai wrote:
another I supposedly insulted someone's religion (something about finding Jesus attractive

No no, your comment was worded in probably the most insulting and offensive way possible. :| If you can't be civil, you should stay away from debate topics on this site.

I joked about Christianity, but intended no disrespect. I made a relatively subtle sexual reference, I see people discuss sexual things in the adult forum all the time, from menstruation to sexual abuse. I like to speak my mind but the boundaries on CS are vague so I generally refrain from doing so out of fear. Unfortunately I stepped over an invisible line recently...
Vance <3

Viva la Gloria!

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Shian » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:33 am

Viva la Gloria! wrote:
-Firestar- wrote:I highly doubt that everyone is freely expressing their views. Especially on a debate thread like that. You need to have somewhat of a politically correct post on any debate thread.

"Oh man you guys, my recommendation is that you don't bother, it is an offensive, biased, over-dramatic and ridiculous mess and a total waste of half an hour. It's very repetitive." Says Garrus.

I assume THAT should be reported?

If you're offended by it, yes report it. There will be another unbiased pair of eyes looking at it and can make a judgment call if it is indeed offensive. You can even put comments in the box and try to explain why you find it offensive.

Viva la Gloria! wrote:And well, almost every other comment giving a 'negative' opinion.
All we can do is project our feelings onto others, we don't magically know what they're thinking. I try to take everything light-heartedly, but you and the CS staff are hurting my feelings, maybe I should report that too.

That's not at all what I meant. I meant writing blanket projecting comments that may hurt others like, "I think people that like that type of music are stupid.' I never said you should not post anything negative, just that you need to look at your own posts and try to look at through the eyes of others before you post it.
ImageImage
Shian

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Viva la Gloria! » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:24 am

-Firestar-,
That is... sad, to say the least. I consider such absurd generalizations unenlightened, but wouldn't be so cruel as to ban someone for making them. I always try to see through the eyes of others and reserve harsh judgement when posting, but I expect people to be more accepting of different opinions and assumed CS staff would encourage that. Maybe I was wrong, but they should make it more clear in the rules.
Vance <3

Viva la Gloria!

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Bernouli » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:42 am

Maybe some people think what you said was subtle, but you have to remember we have children on this site, and they can and will take offense to a whole range of things. There's also the parents of those kids. I bet if some 10 year old's mother saw you talking about being 'high' in your sig like that, they would not be too amused.

Being staff, we have to consider the age range of CS, and we'd like to think that our older more mature members would understand the precautions we need take to protect our younger users.
Image Art by Wookieinmashoo
- Need Help? - - Deviantart - - Newest Deviation -
Bernouli

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me