We need your feedback: Bigger, less frequent pound openings?

Need help with the site/forum/pets? Ask questions and get help from other members here.

Should we have bigger, less frequent pound openings?

Poll ended at Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:26 am

Yes - increase pound size to 1800 pets and open 1.7 times per day
35%
No - keep pound size at 1300 pets and open 2.4 times per day
65%

Total votes : 3234

Re: We need your feedback: Bigger, less frequent pound openi

Postby Adamented » Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:21 am

Buster2918 wrote:
Darkcloud! wrote:Why do people keep insisting that users are saying they are "owed rares" when the actual posts from other users are about the chance to click on one/see one at all on their page over the course of a pound open, and the disparity between those who have the means for faster internet connection, spare time, and a desktop computer and those who don't, and how it could be addressed.

Genuinely curious as to why the words keep getting turned into trying to make users sound ungrateful and demanding and to dismiss the valid concerns of people brought up around this just being a band-aid on the wider issue of openings that disproportionately distribute pets.

Hi, sorry I was offline for a while doing irl stuff but now I can respond and hopefully clear up anything for you. People keep bringing up an issue that is not meant for this, and that is that they do not often see rares, let alone get one. The thread is about how often the pound should open and what changes can be made to alleviate the pound closing in an instant, more pets or more openings throughout the day to make up for quick pound runs. A lot of what I see is just people complaining that they do not get a rare pet. That's tough, trust me I know, but it happens to all of us. RNG does not care about fairness and making sure everyone sees a rare on their page, that is why it is RNG...

(I should also mention that slow internet, availability to check CS, and owning mobile/desktop is not CS's problem, it is the user's situation, which CS cannot control. I would only blame them for website lag as that is in their control and their responsibility to address and manage.)

This isn't about the greed for rares or hunt of them within the pound, it's about how the pound's system is inherently unfair and puts new players at a disadvantage to experienced players, especially those who make sure they know what to expect via the pound's next opening folder.

In my opinion I think it would be best if everyone got a random pet, or had to pick from mere silhouettes, removing any visibility of pound pets altogether and putting experienced players who can recognize pets visually at the same standing as new players who cannot recognize pets visually.

If the point of the pound is to redistribute pets, as is often accompanied by the comment "most people wont even see rares!!" as a non-constructive response to "our system isn't fair to begin with", then this is not only equally as effective but removes an unnecessary advantage that has always existed and should cease to exist in favor of making sure CS treats its userbase equally.

Equality matters, even in a simple matter like this. Fairness matters.

I've noticed that those arguing against blind picking aren't actually saying why the idea is unconstructive or why they think the suggestion would not improve the system, rather just saying vaguely "I don't like it" and "it's not really unfair" when the evidence says otherwise. I have actually yet to see a retort including any supporting evidence to their own claims on that front, that blind picking would not improve the system towards fairness and equality. It's just been attempts to contradict the idea that experienced players are in slight advantage, without supportive reasoning.

Unconstructive refusal to change is pointless, "the old system is good" is not a good enough argument to refute the possibility of trying things in a new way, when plenty of evidence is suggesting this change would benefit many users without (per their own arguments) taking anything away from experienced players. If the experienced players have no advantage now, what's the point of contradicting a change that you claim will not affect you? Where's the reasoning to explain why these users think blind picks would be somehow worse for anybody? If you're claiming that all users are random picking anyway and most wont get rares- which we all agree is true- how does a blind pick affect them at all?

All it does is ensure there's no gap between experience and inexperience.

The only way I can see is "experienced players who recognize pets will be able to pick them out of the pool they get", but the unsung context is "new players who can't recognize pets will not be able to make an educated pick" (at least, not with milliseconds to choose). If everyone got a random pet, or perhaps even could only see a silhouette, the advantage of those players is taken away. The pound page that allows players to see what will be in the next opening wouldn't need to go (since this perspective is repeatedly ignored in favor of defending that particular feature), since seeing what's coming wouldn't make you any more likely than any less-aware user to recognize it in a pool. Thus, regardless of what does or does not appear in anyone's given pool from the pound, everyone would have an equal chance that doesn't currently exist with how the pound works at the moment.

Putting aside time zones, accessibility, mobile or desktop access, slow internet, and user availability, all which I agree CS cannot control, what I am suggesting is absolutely under CS's management. It's something they are more than capable of remedying and the imbalance exists as a consequence of the pound system's intentional design, in spite of the fact that this consequence may not have been foreseen it still needs to be addressed.

A real defense can only be made by making a claim, providing your evidence, and connecting your evidence to your claim through reasoning- not baseless claims without supporting information to defend said claims, or a simple disapproval without further discussion.

Here's an example: The current system favors experienced users (claim). Few newer users will be able to recognize pets they might want or value and few users new or experienced know you can check what is coming in the next pound opening, while experienced users are able to recognize pets they might want or value as a consequence of their time here (evidence). Since experienced users can recognize pets and inexperienced users cannot, the experienced user is at an advantage regardless of what appears in their pool, which makes the system inherently inequal and thus unfair- removing the ability to see and thus recognize pets would put both experienced and inexperienced players on the same ground (reasoning).

I'd like to see someone make a case for the other standpoint: keeping visibility. Only one that genuinely takes in account and acknowledges the advantage that currently exists in the divided gap of experience, and gives constructive criticism to why a blind pick would be unfavorable to equality among the userbase for both experienced and inexperienced players.

[ ABOUT ]

Ada
AdamAddie
he / she / they

✦ ✦ ✦
[ MY STUFF ]
the gladewood
CLs / buzzies / wermz

[ LINKS ]
ImageImage @adamented

Art T.o.S.

[ SUPPORT SELECT BY RARITY ]
thread
Adamented

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Kl0wnJ0k3s » Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:30 am

avaloafe wrote:
Ϛçҽղҽ Ҩմҽҽղ wrote:I know I'm new but it seems the lost and found is always open and the pound for me only opens once a day and that's legit between 10pm to 11pm central standard time. I've been on practically all day and have noticed the pound only opens once for me and that's when I need to sleep. Are there other users in Central Standard time that sees this? Or is it just me?

The pound actually was the only thing that opened the past two days. It opened a total of 11 times in a row since the 15th.

That's weird. The pound only opened once for me and that was last night. Today has been 2 lost and found openings (the next one, which is my 2nd lost & found opening is in 3 hours.)

Lunarsnow wrote:
Ϛçҽղҽ Ҩմҽҽղ wrote:I know I'm new but it seems the lost and found is always open and the pound for me only opens once a day and that's legit between 10pm to 11pm central standard time. I've been on practically all day and have noticed the pound only opens once for me and that's when I need to sleep. Are there other users in Central Standard time that sees this? Or is it just me?

I'm also in central and yeah, I've noticed the past few days the pound is opening after 10pm. Granted, I'm not on all day so I don't know when it's opening in the morning, but I haven't made it to a pound since April 5th. I'm not online for hours straight, but I do visit every day every so often between 2:30pm and 8pm central either to see if the pound is open or look for trades. Usually when I get home around this time, I feel like the Lost and Found is always open. And oh. Look at that, it's open again lmao

I don't usually adopt from the lost and found so I have less of a record of when it's been open for me but yeah, I feel like every time I check for the pound, the lost and found is open, or is about to open in an hour or two.

Yeah I don't wake up until like 10am to 11:30am as im not a morning person. So, the pound could possibly be open when I'm still sleeping. I gotta get back into a schedule.
Scene • Adult • Nonbinary
Joined April 16, 2024
free customs

Kl0wnJ0k3s

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Darkcloud! » Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:45 am

Adamented wrote:This isn't about the greed for rares or hunt of them within the pound, it's about how the pound's system is inherently unfair and puts new players at a disadvantage to experienced players, especially those who make sure they know what to expect via the pound's next opening folder.

In my opinion I think it would be best if everyone got a random pet, or had to pick from mere silhouettes, removing any visibility of pound pets altogether and putting experienced players who can recognize pets visually at the same standing as new players who cannot recognize pets visually.

If the point of the pound is to redistribute pets, as is often accompanied by the comment "most people wont even see rares!!" as a non-constructive response to "our system isn't fair to begin with", then this is not only equally as effective but removes an unnecessary advantage that has always existed and should cease to exist in favor of making sure CS treats its userbase equally.

I've noticed that those arguing against blind picking aren't actually saying why the idea is unconstructive or why they think the suggestion would not improve the system, rather just saying vaguely "I don't like it" and "it's not really unfair" when the evidence says otherwise. I have actually yet to see a retort including any supporting evidence to their own claims on that front, that blind picking would not improve the system towards fairness and equality. It's just been attempts to contradict the idea that experienced players are in slight advantage, without supportive reasoning.

Unconstructive refusal to change is pointless, "the old system is good" is not a good enough argument to refute the possibility of trying things in a new way, when plenty of evidence is suggesting this change would benefit many users without (per their own arguments) taking anything away from experienced players. If the experienced players have no advantage now, what's the point of contradicting a change that you claim will not affect you? Where's the reasoning to explain why these users think blind picks would be somehow worse for anybody? If you're claiming that all users are random picking anyway and most wont get rares- which we all agree is true- how does a blind pick affect them at all?

The only way I can see is "experienced players who recognize pets will be able to pick them out of the pool they get", but the unsung context is "new players who can't recognize pets will not be able to make an educated pick" (at least, not with milliseconds to choose). If everyone got a random pet, or perhaps even could only see a silhouette, the advantage of those players is taken away. The pound page that allows players to see what will be in the next opening wouldn't need to go (since this perspective is repeatedly ignored in favor of defending that particular feature), since seeing what's coming wouldn't make you any more likely than any less-aware user to recognize it in a pool. Thus, regardless of what does or does not appear in anyone's given pool from the pound, everyone would have an equal chance that doesn't currently exist with how the pound works at the moment.

Putting aside time zones, accessibility, mobile or desktop access, slow internet, and user availability, all which I agree CS cannot control, what I am suggesting is absolutely under CS's management. It's something they are more than capable of remedying and the imbalance exists as a consequence of the pound system's intentional design, in spite of the fact that this consequence may not have been foreseen it still needs to be addressed.

A real defense can only be made by making a claim, providing your evidence, and connecting your evidence to your claim through reasoning- not baseless claims without supporting information to defend said claims, or a simple disapproval without further discussion.

Here's an example: The current system favors experienced users (claim). Few newer users will be able to recognize pets they might want or value and few users new or experienced know you can check what is coming in the next pound opening, while experienced users are able to recognize pets they might want or value as a consequence of their time here (evidence). Since experienced users can recognize pets and inexperienced users cannot, the experienced user is at an advantage regardless of what appears in their pool, which makes the system inherently inequal and thus unfair- removing the ability to see and thus recognize pets would put both experienced and inexperienced players on the same ground (reasoning).

I'd like to see someone make a case for the other standpoint: keeping visibility. Only one that genuinely takes in account and acknowledges the advantage that currently exists in the divided gap of experience, and gives constructive criticism to why a blind pick would be unfavorable to equality among the userbase for both experienced and inexperienced players.

Thank you. I think doing specifically plain-stock silhouettes as well as still keeping the year/month below it would work well- and I would even add in removing WL stars. It would be a pleasant surprise then, when a pet is rare, or WL, and if it's not something you want to keep, it helps to encourage the trading economy- I can see people doing a "pound swap" thread, even.

It would also encourage people to adopt more rats, horses, and other "lower value pets", as everything on a page would now be a mystery box of value- but the silhouette would still allow people to avoid a species they weren't interested in. It would probably lead to people making a percentage guide of % of species of pets per year, broken down into month that were rare+, to maximize grabs.
The only issue I see with this is if the pound visibility is left open and/or and dates are not removed, then people will simply switch to having the discord bot list the dates of the most valuable pets + the species.

semi-active, missed years 2012 and 2013 entirely- about halfway to catching up!
Looking to complete years 2011, 2014-16 and 2021-23!
Darkcloud!

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Buster2918 » Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:20 pm

Why should RNG be fair? Like I said, RNG is RNG. The pets are randomly generated and someone grabs the pet they explicitly want without having the design hidden. Pet visibility or not, the same chance of you getting a rare or having one on your page is the same...? So nothing changes in that regard. Punishing older/more experienced players for being more experienced is not the answer no matter how hard you argue that it is. Why not encourage newer players to educate themselves and study the archives a little bit? That's how must of us started out. I STILL do it. Do not bring the abilities of us down rather than lifting the newer players UP to the same level to make things equitable*. Equity > Equality.

-removed-
Last edited by Zeena on Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:20 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Please be respectful of one another
x
Imagexxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
╔═════╗
xxxxxx𝚜𝚑𝚎/𝚑𝚎𝚛
Imagexxxxx𝚊𝚍𝚞𝚕𝚝xxxxImage
xxxxxx𝚏𝚕𝚘𝚛𝚒𝚍𝚊
╚═════╝x

x
• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •
x▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
xxxxxx.𝙷𝚎𝚕𝚕𝚘! 𝙸'𝚖 𝚊𝚗 𝚊𝚜𝚙𝚒𝚛𝚒𝚗𝚐
xx𝚌𝚢𝚋𝚎𝚛𝚜𝚎𝚌𝚞𝚛𝚒𝚝𝚢 𝚊𝚗𝚊𝚕𝚢𝚜𝚝 𝚠𝚒𝚝𝚑 𝚊
xxxx𝚕𝚘𝚟𝚎 𝚏𝚘𝚛 𝚖𝚢 𝚙𝚎𝚝𝚜 𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝚂.𝙾. 💜

x▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
xxxxxxxxxxxxImagexx©xxImage
Buster2918

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby avaloafe » Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:44 pm

Buster2918 wrote:Why should RNG be fair? Like I said, RNG is RNG. The pets are randomly generated and someone grabs the pet they explicitly want without having the design hidden. Pet visibility or not, the same chance of you getting a rare or having one on your page is the same...? So nothing changes in that regard. Punishing older/more experienced players for being more experienced is not the answer no matter how hard you argue that it is. Why not encourage newer players to educate themselves and study the archives a little bit? That's how must of us started out. I STILL do it. Do not bring the abilities of us down rather than lifting the newer players UP to the same level to make things equal. Equity > Equality.

highly agree with everything you said!! plus, newer players (and older ones) can go to the thousands of free adoption centers run by cs users themselves. or even quitting threads. they can’t unfortunately rely on the pound to make them rich with rares. the pound should stay as it is. maybe release a bit more pets than it does, but there shouldn’t be boxes, or silhouettes or just the adoption year. we should be able to choose what pet we want. <3
      no signature for u
avaloafe

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Buster2918 » Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:50 pm

highly agree with everything you said!! plus, newer players (and older ones) can go to the thousands of free adoption centers run by cs users themselves. or even quitting threads. they can’t unfortunately rely on the pound to make them rich with rares. the pound should stay as it is. maybe release a bit more pets than it does, but there shouldn’t be boxes, or silhouettes or just the adoption year. we should be able to choose what pet we want. <3

I still thoroughly enjoy visiting player-run pet adoption groups, quitting threads, and stuff of that sort. I frequent them and take lower rarity pets to fill my wishlist (ultimate goal is to collect one of each pet on the site, but that's out of reach for a long time), but it helps me dramatically to find niche pets, especially since trading is difficult right now in the community. It's a very positive thing that I have always embraced even as a noob because of the kindness the community has to offer in running these sorts of things let alone giving away their pets. It encouraged me to gift people WL pets of all rarities every once in a while.

I do hope we see another poll soon to see what the staff themselves think based on hearing everything from everyone in the thread, and maybe even implement a few changes at separate times to see what works the best for the majority of players since there are a few different recommendations that have been brought up. I originally voted more pets but the discussion made me change my mind early on in the thread to multiple times to accommodate to many time zones as much as possible. Plus, a few extra pets per opening won't make it stay open MUCH longer I don't think.
x
Imagexxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
╔═════╗
xxxxxx𝚜𝚑𝚎/𝚑𝚎𝚛
Imagexxxxx𝚊𝚍𝚞𝚕𝚝xxxxImage
xxxxxx𝚏𝚕𝚘𝚛𝚒𝚍𝚊
╚═════╝x

x
• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •
x▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
xxxxxx.𝙷𝚎𝚕𝚕𝚘! 𝙸'𝚖 𝚊𝚗 𝚊𝚜𝚙𝚒𝚛𝚒𝚗𝚐
xx𝚌𝚢𝚋𝚎𝚛𝚜𝚎𝚌𝚞𝚛𝚒𝚝𝚢 𝚊𝚗𝚊𝚕𝚢𝚜𝚝 𝚠𝚒𝚝𝚑 𝚊
xxxx𝚕𝚘𝚟𝚎 𝚏𝚘𝚛 𝚖𝚢 𝚙𝚎𝚝𝚜 𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝚂.𝙾. 💜

x▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
xxxxxxxxxxxxImagexx©xxImage
Buster2918

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby kyndy101 » Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:36 pm

Adamented wrote:
Buster2918 wrote:
Darkcloud! wrote:Why do people keep insisting that users are saying they are "owed rares" when the actual posts from other users are about the chance to click on one/see one at all on their page over the course of a pound open, and the disparity between those who have the means for faster internet connection, spare time, and a desktop computer and those who don't, and how it could be addressed.

Genuinely curious as to why the words keep getting turned into trying to make users sound ungrateful and demanding and to dismiss the valid concerns of people brought up around this just being a band-aid on the wider issue of openings that disproportionately distribute pets.

Hi, sorry I was offline for a while doing irl stuff but now I can respond and hopefully clear up anything for you. People keep bringing up an issue that is not meant for this, and that is that they do not often see rares, let alone get one. The thread is about how often the pound should open and what changes can be made to alleviate the pound closing in an instant, more pets or more openings throughout the day to make up for quick pound runs. A lot of what I see is just people complaining that they do not get a rare pet. That's tough, trust me I know, but it happens to all of us. RNG does not care about fairness and making sure everyone sees a rare on their page, that is why it is RNG...

(I should also mention that slow internet, availability to check CS, and owning mobile/desktop is not CS's problem, it is the user's situation, which CS cannot control. I would only blame them for website lag as that is in their control and their responsibility to address and manage.)

This isn't about the greed for rares or hunt of them within the pound, it's about how the pound's system is inherently unfair and puts new players at a disadvantage to experienced players, especially those who make sure they know what to expect via the pound's next opening folder.

Honestly, I just am looking for pets on my wishlist (rare or not, though nowadays most wishlists for me are rares+) and so I would be fine with a silhouette system so long as my wishlist markings are still intact.
Learn to draw! Look at my art shop! *Click here*

I HAVE MANY PETS FOR TRADE - 2010+!! Come trade with me!
kyndy101

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby negati » Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:30 pm

This whole experienced versus inexperienced user debate really seems to ignore one quintessential factor about Chicken Smoothie: it's a game. Aren't you supposed to get better at games? Aren't players supposed to improve at games to better the rewards they earn?

(Note: I am an 09 user who dabbled at some points, but I only seriously began playing recently. I'm only just learning to quickly recognize valuables, and still often miss them. I'm not defending my own advantage.)
Image Image
dtcay | ocs for pets | pet collection & more (wip / vih) | trade me!

Selling newborns & more!
Offer on my pets! vvvv
ImageImageImage
negati

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby teddy » Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:48 pm

negati wrote:This whole experienced versus inexperienced user debate really seems to ignore one quintessential factor about Chicken Smoothie: it's a game. Aren't you supposed to get better at games? Aren't players supposed to improve at games to better the rewards they earn?

(Note: I am an 09 user who dabbled at some points, but I only seriously began playing recently. I'm only just learning to quickly recognize valuables, and still often miss them. I'm not defending my own advantage.)

this. so much this.
teddy

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Briar-n'-stuff » Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:29 am

Buster2918 wrote:Why should RNG be fair? Like I said, RNG is RNG. The pets are randomly generated and someone grabs the pet they explicitly want without having the design hidden. Pet visibility or not, the same chance of you getting a rare or having one on your page is the same...? So nothing changes in that regard. Punishing older/more experienced players for being more experienced is not the answer no matter how hard you argue that it is. Why not encourage newer players to educate themselves and study the archives a little bit? That's how must of us started out. I STILL do it. Do not bring the abilities of us down rather than lifting the newer players UP to the same level to make things equitable*. Equity > Equality.

I totally agree.

I started off in 2021 right before 2022 and by around half a month I already recognized the more commonly traded high value pets and could easily get rares in the pound just by clicking on the oldest pet there (not the best tactic but it got a decent amount of rares, enough that I didn't feel totally poor) I never really felt I was at much of a disadvantage, yeah I got frustrated every once in a while but that frustration only pushed me to work hard at learning the values.

If there's anything that could help new players, it's probably making the number of pets on our page smaller so they only have to focus on recognizing a select few, not a high number of options taken away but just enough that it's not overwhelming. I think that would help ALL players, not just the new, old or experienced.

"The Honey is sweet, but the bee has a Sting."

Art shop- Forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=4773507#
Free art- Forum/viewtopic.php?f=121&t=4867815
Briar-n'-stuff

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me