Need help with what this is called

Need help with the site/forum/pets? Ask questions and get help from other members here.

Need help with what this is called

Postby Waytown » Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:44 am

It's not subdomain but like I forgot what this is called. Like the different part of the site where you hit a button for example on CS, the homepage is Chickensmoothie.com but if you navigate to the forums it's Chickensmoothie.com/Forum/index.php

What is that called????

This world, it was made for two
It'll never be whole until you open the door

Waytown

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Need help with what this is called

Postby Celozon » Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:18 am

I'm not sure exactly what you are asking, the actual 'website.com' text would just be referred to as a URL or web address (the actual portion of the browser that is show in is typically called the 'address bar'). More technically speaking it would be called a web domain/domain name/domain. If you mean like a word specifically for the separate pages under one domain, nothing immediately comes to mind for me, just 'webpage'. If you mean the button/links themselves, 'hyperlink' would be the more technical term.

If I've misunderstand the question though please feel free to elaborate further ^^
ImageImage
Celozon
Global Moderator

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Waytown » Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:28 am

It's moreso what comes after the web address, the forums themselves are /forum/index.php for example!!

This world, it was made for two
It'll never be whole until you open the door

Waytown

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Celozon » Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:25 pm

The part after chickensmoothie.com is basically just like directions for your computer on which page within the domain to display & where its located in the site structure, I can't think of any specific name for that part of a URL other than just 'path'.

Just to explain a little further, sites will have sitemaps or directories, not always visible for users but is set up in a similar way to the forums with a larger category and a smaller subcategory within it, with individual threads/pages inside those. So the URL is just directing down a path to a specific page, in this case just /forum/index, ie the '/forum' directory/category and the '/index' page. The php part is because the forums are based on the php scripting language (I don't have any web development experience but from what I understand the 'php' bit can be hidden from the URL if desired so not every site will display something like that, but there are others like .html as well). The '.php' portion would be the extension or file type being displayed, like how if you open a pdf or image on a webpage it will have .pdf or .jpeg/.png/.gif at the end, web pages are the same way just a different file type that displays as an intractable webpage.
ImageImage
Celozon
Global Moderator

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Waytown » Wed Apr 10, 2024 1:02 pm