Financial Side of CS

Need help with the site/forum/pets? Ask questions and get help from other members here.

Financial Side of CS

Postby owlbyr » Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:30 am

Hello! I've been really curious about how the financial side of operating the site has been like, especially since many sites CS's age have had to eventually shut down due to operation costs. I haven't been able to find much information about this type of stuff in the forums -- sorry if I've missed a post with that info!

1. How well do C$ purchases (not ad revenue) bring in funds? It seems like there is a large amount of C$ floating in circulation, so it's hard to tell how much is actually being purchased monthly and supporting the website or how much is just being exchanged from player-to-player.

2. How does artist pay work? Is it on a design-by-design basis? Do they function like contracted employees?
(I did see a post that off-handedly mentioned they were paid in C$ currency, not real-life currency -- is this true?)

3. Does CS get enough funds for the site owners to stay working on it like a full-time job, or do they have to supplement their income in other ways? (Do you get any income from this project? I really hope you do!)

4. This one is the longest shot -- but if someone knows a ballpark estimate of how much the site is actually able to bring in income-wise (monthly? or yearly?), how much artists get paid, and what operating costs are like, those would be some super fun numbers to know.

I totally understand if these questions can't be answered, but thank you for your time in advance!
Last edited by owlbyr on Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Quick Links wrote: Image
owlbyr

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Financial Side of CS

Postby Dappled_pony » Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:32 am

bump! I am curious about some of this too! (please message me if bumps are not allowed)
Dappled_pony

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Lemon Bark » Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:42 am

+1 on the interest, posting to see when there's an answer
Lemon Bark

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Yeens » Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:14 pm

Interested too!
Yeens

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby bark » Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:53 pm

Marking to see the staff's reply <3
bark

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Neeko nordestina » Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:57 am

I'm really curious about this as well!
Neeko nordestina

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Monotoad » Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:00 am

also very curious about this! :]
what, were you expecting a real signature?
i'll make an actual one eventually :]

i'm new to cs!
my birthday is december 21st, i'd like to collect pets with that adoption date :)
i make art! (revamping carrd rn)
^ my wermz archive!

Image Image
Monotoad

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby joewagz5 » Wed Apr 03, 2024 5:27 am

I am also interested in the answer
Joe Wagz
joewagz5

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby answrs » Wed Apr 03, 2024 5:29 am

can confirm admins have said artists are paid with c$ and the entire staff (including said artists) are all considered unpaid volunteers. I'll go try and find the posts for you

edit:

https://www.chickensmoothie.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=119&t=4726715#p138310734
by Zeena » Fri Apr 22, 2022 2:43 am
Hey there,
Like all staff positions, the artist positions are also unpaid. All staff are volunteers who dedicate our time to helping out CS, we want applicants who are keen to help out because they are passionate about CS and contributing to the community. All applicants are made aware of the fact that these positions are unpaid and voluntary. If you're looking for more direct benefits out of the position then unfortunately a CS staff position may not be for you.

https://www.chickensmoothie.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=119&t=4931209&p=144791995&hilit=artist#p144791995
Simon wrote:

To clear up any misconceptions, CS artist is a volunteer position to allow artists freedom to create when they are able/want to. There is no regular salary/wage, and therefore the position is considered unpaid. Artists receive compensation in C$ when their free pets and items are released. Store pets and items are subject to additional agreements and compensation.
Last edited by answrs on Wed Apr 03, 2024 5:40 am, edited 3 times in total.
After 11 years of seeking, I finally obtained my all-time dream on October 1, 2020 ;w;

answrs

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Pinky* » Wed Apr 03, 2024 5:35 am

At the risk of seeming curmudgeonly, I don't think any of this is fair to ask to be public. What people are paid for their participation in CS is their business.

Also, C$ purchases are completely just for fun and not required to enjoy the game. I've seen the sentiment that we as purchasers of C$ are owed some kind of explanation of how they spend the money and that's not how it works. We got what we bought, and what they do with that money is up to them.

It's completely normal to keep financials private and we aren't owed knowing about it.

"Nothing ever seems impossible in spring, you know."

Monthly SwapsCoalClan
Pinky*

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me