Who are COPPA players?

Need help with the site/forum/pets? Ask questions and get help from other members here.

Who are COPPA players?

Postby WillntWoodnt » Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:37 am

Ive seen this term in some adopt or trade forum posts, context is confusing to me since some users completely do not allow interaction in that forum or that they are excused when it comes to rules in that post for a certain thing.
Thanks to anyone answering!
🦈🦈🦈🦈🦈
vic!
huge pet collecter game fan
no. 1 Shark lover ❀️🦈
Emo foreva <3
🦈 🦈 🦈 🦈 🦈

~offline between 9:30pm (cet) to 7am(sleep times), offline between 7:50am to 1:10pm (school times)~
WillntWoodnt

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Who are COPPA players?

Postby WillntWoodnt » Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:40 am

Ohhh that makes sense, COPPA is also the abbreviation for that online child protection policy right? Just realised that now lol thank you for the answer!
🦈🦈🦈🦈🦈
vic!
no. 1 Shark lover ❀️🦈
Emo foreva <3
🦈 🦈 🦈 🦈 🦈

~offline between 9:30pm (cet) to 7am(sleep times), offline between 7:50am to 1:10pm (school times)~
WillntWoodnt

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Snowseph » Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:56 am

COPPA is a US-only rule barring 13 or younger people from communicating in forum space, etc that would allow the minor to share personal information. so COPPA users on CS have limited access to many parts of CS, including the forums. this part of the rule specifically seems to apply to cs:

"Making personal information collected by an operator from a child publicly available in identifiable form by any means, including but not limited to a public posting through the Internet, or through a personal home page or screen posted on a Web site or online service; a pen pal service; an electronic mail service; a message board; or a chat room."
(from the text of rule, more info on COPPA here form the FTC)

it's a pretty ancient rule in the scheme of the internet, honestly don't see it referred to by name often anymore. most websites just bar 13 year olds all together.
    i'm not that active... i pop in every now and then out of boredom or nostalgia.
    i'm keeping my stuff unless otherwise stated.

he/they. queer. adult. multi&mixed media artist.
    discord: eat_plant
Snowseph

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby WillntWoodnt » Wed Feb 28, 2024 2:03 am

@snow
Tysm for the more in depth answer! After Phoenix responded I thought it was something to do with those laws
🦈🦈🦈🦈🦈
vic!
no. 1 Shark lover ❀️🦈
Emo foreva <3
🦈 🦈 🦈 🦈 🦈

WillntWoodnt

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me