How does an open species on Oekaki work?

Need help with the site/forum/pets? Ask questions and get help from other members here.

Postby TheMamba » Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:32 am

How does an open species on Oekaki work? I'd love to make one but how? Where would I need to post it so that everyone can make one? Just in the Editable Oekaki or is there an extra board for open species? How does trait rarity work when people can make their own? What does an open species need? How does breeding work (if it works with open species)? Everything should be completely free. Could someone help me and explain everything I need to know?
Thank you!
Toyhouse | Art Instagram | Art Shop
Pet's name: Sherwin

Image Image Image
Image Image Image
ImageImageImageImageImage
^ Click them for some free mini whales!
TheMamba

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby TheMamba » Mon Mar 13, 2023 1:39 am

Still need help with this
Toyhouse | Art Instagram | Art Shop
Pet's name: Sherwin

Image Image Image
Image Image Image
ImageImageImageImageImage
^ Click them for some free mini whales!
TheMamba

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: How does an open species on Oekaki work?

Postby Sapphirescript » Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:58 am

TheMamba wrote:How does an open species on Oekaki work? I'd love to make one but how? Where would I need to post it so that everyone can make one? Just in the Editable Oekaki or is there an extra board for open species? How does trait rarity work when people can make their own? What does an open species need? How does breeding work (if it works with open species)? Everything should be completely free. Could someone help me and explain everything I need to know?
Thank you!

Hey there! It's awesome you wanna make an open species for people! Open species are creature concept designs by artists who make a template line art that people can edit and fill in!

Posting in the editable area of the Oekaki would be correct!

Trait rarity is hard to control if you make the species open as you are relying on good faith of those who chose to design their own. Lots of species have loyal fans who appreciate the differences! You can suggest using a number generator, dice rolling, or other fun ways to let designers randomize what they are getting!

An open species would probably do well with a base template, and preset common features! A guide for any designers to follow would be helpful as well! They can also sometimes have lore or information attached about them, give designers something to know where these creatures live, or what they might like to do! Lastly some rules about what is and isn't okay can help the idea you have be communicated!

But none of that is mandatory and any creatively designed species has the chance to get popular!

Breeding two characters together is up to the individual designers as well! If you would like to involve genetics I recommend a basic punnet square for each character! Commonly the outcome will just be equal traits from both parents! But it doesn't have to be simple.

To keep it free beyond the base you can write in the rules that designers are not allowed to resell! Otherwise "open species" communicates that it's free and anybody can join!

Good luck! Can't wait to see what you create ^^
Sapphirescript

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me