Oekaki Questions

Need help with the site/forum/pets? Ask questions and get help from other members here.

Oekaki Questions

Postby TheMamba » Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:40 am

Yeahh so for all of you who are Oekaki artists and know how to use Oekaki properly - well, I have some questions, maybe you can answer them. Because my oekaki doesn't work as well as I want it to work...

1. Sharp lines
When I draw, I use the round sharp edges brush. My lines still get quite pixelated... ages ago I made a worm adopt and the person who adopted the worm drew some art of them and the lines were so sharp and nice! Here
I use Thickness 2-3 and Opacity 255. How can I make these beautiful sharp lines?

2. Signature
The lineart of the worm adopt I designed has a little signature. It's so small but still beautiful and well readable. When I try to make this kind of sig, it's not readable and doesn't really work. How do I do it? Also do these artists write a new signature on every base or art they make or can you copy things from one drawing and paste it on another?

3. Pen settings: Pencil
What are the pen settings for a pen that looks like a pencil or colored pencil? It would be really nice for sketches but I don't know how to make it.

Thank you for any help! (:
Toyhouse | Art Instagram | Art Shop
Pet's name: Sherwin

Image Image Image
Image Image Image
ImageImageImageImageImage
^ Click them for some free mini whales!
TheMamba

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Oekaki Questions

Postby Panne » Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:20 pm

Are you using smoothing at all? This could help your lines look less jittery and pixelated and flow better. To get nice sharp ends like in the example you posted, they most likely used the eraser to taper off the ends to look really crisp as well!

The signature looks like its made with the round pixel brush. This lets you very accurately paint single pixels, keeping a clean look while sizing down a lot. It's not good for smooth, natural looking lines, but it is perfect for a "pixel" style and small signatures!
    Also, there is no way to copy and past things from one drawing to another, the artists redo the signature every time.

xxxxxxxxx.xxxxxxxxx.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello! I'm Panne!
Feel free to call me
Pan! I like art and
video games! My
PMs are always open
for chatting or help!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Panne

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby TheMamba » Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:33 pm

Thank you! This really helped a lot! <3
Toyhouse | Art Instagram | Art Shop
Pet's name: Sherwin

Image Image Image
Image Image Image
ImageImageImageImageImage
^ Click them for some free mini whales!
TheMamba

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby solo. » Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:54 pm

I’m seconding Panne in regards to using the smoothing! It’s really great to stabilise and really steady your lines. I would set it to your preference so it’s more of a matter for finding what suits you. The higher the smoothing the slower the tool will draw (so it’ll begin to draw a bit behind your own pen/finger/whatever is your input), but you’ll have super smooth lines. The opposite holds true with low/no smoothing.

You can manipulate the brush settings to work with new types, and the updated oekaki guide (I’ve directed the link to the brush settings) has really great demonstration and guidance on how to set them up! The pencil/graphite/crayon affect is all detailed there, as is the pixel brush mentioned in the above post (:
solo.
Oekaki Moderator

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me