oekaki questions

Need help with the site/forum/pets? Ask questions and get help from other members here.

oekaki questions

Postby topmarks » Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:46 am

1 how do i copy between oekaki? i want to use layers i made in one canvas in another. there's no import/export or copy to file button. similarly, how do i clone a whole oekaki? how do i open something, then save it as a NEW thing so i can try different stuff with it? i know you can't import from outside oekaki but i specifically want to move a layer from one file to a different file within oekaki.

2 how do i view oekaki that i saved but didn't post publicly? they're not in "my oekaki"

3 how do people do pixel art? i thought it just wasn't possible because there's no proper pencil tool (even the "pencil" is just a brush, even set to 1px square pixel or 1px hard edge) but i just found these pixel dogs which have proper hard pixels. where's the true pixel tool?

4 how do i define a specific canvas size? those puppies are in a tiny box somehow, but i can't find a canvas size option

5 the oekaki isn't honouring the buttons on my tablet stlyus. they do the same specific thing in the oekaki, but not the thing those buttons are actually for. does the oekaki have its own tablet stylus binding? how do i change it?

6 how do i TYPE a brush size or brush/layer opacity? if i click on the slider it moves. if i try to click on the number it just moves the slider. i want to TYPE a number in.
topmarks

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby HEXORCISM » Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:46 am

1 how do i copy between oekaki? i want to use layers i made in one canvas in another. there's no import/export or copy to file button.

you can't, unfortunately, but the answer to the second half of this might work enough for you.

similarly, how do i clone a whole oekaki? how do i open something, then save it as a NEW thing so i can try different stuff with it? i know you can't import from outside oekaki but i specifically want to move a layer from one file to a different file within oekaki.

you must post the drawing to cs, and underneath the drawing there will be a button labelled 'colormein'. click that to create a new "colour in" of your drawing.

2 how do i view oekaki that i saved but didn't post publicly? they're not in "my oekaki"

click the 'new drawing' button like you would normally to create a new oekaki.
underneath where you select your canvas size you can find all the drawings you never posted!

if you mean 'how do i open to view / save this image', you can take the url of the image you'd like to save and change 'size=small' to 'size=large'. i'd also recommend changing 'format = jpg' to 'format=png' as pngs preserve quality better! if you want a transparent image, you'll need to change it to png too. none of these images will be visible to others though if you just use the url, as these images aren't public, so you'll have to post them or host them elsewhere.

for example;
Code: Select all
https://www.chickensmoothie.com/oekaki/image/image.php?id=3962691&size=small&format=jpg&rev=1642530460

Code: Select all
https://www.chickensmoothie.com/oekaki/image/image.php?id=3962691&size=large&format=png&rev=1642530460

3 how do people do pixel art? i thought it just wasn't possible because there's no proper pencil tool (even the "pencil" is just a brush, even set to 1px square pixel or 1px hard edge) but i just found these pixel dogs which have proper hard pixels. where's the true pixel tool?

select the pencil tool (not the pen!). in your tool options where you can select the size / opacity / etc, there's a dropdown box. change this to 'round pixelated'! this will only work for the pencil brush if you want the hard edges.

4 how do i define a specific canvas size? those puppies are in a tiny box somehow, but i can't find a canvas size option

outside of the the 'standard' and '50% larger' when you go to create a drawing, you can get the small square canvases by creating your drawing in one of the avatar forums! you don't have to post there, you just need to initially create the drawing there. you can get portrait drawings by using the rotate canvas tool underneath the 'dodge' tool!

outside of these preset options though, you can't select a size.

5 the oekaki isn't honouring the buttons on my tablet stlyus. they do the same specific thing in the oekaki, but not the thing those buttons are actually for. does the oekaki have its own tablet stylus binding? how do i change it?

oekaki does have its own bindings, yes. they are not standardized. if you click the 'help' dropdown it'll give you the option to view the shortcuts. there's no way to change these.

the oekaki also does not like to play nice with tablets, so even if the binding is correct, it may just. not work.

6 how do i TYPE a brush size or brush/layer opacity? if i click on the slider it moves. if i try to click on the number it just moves the slider. i want to TYPE a number in.

honestly i've never typed my sizes in any program but after trying some things i,, i don't think you can. as you use it more often though it becomes easier to click on / close to the number you need.
HEXORCISM

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: oekaki questions

Postby topmarks » Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:30 am

thank you so much, i'm going to bookmark this thread so i can find it again.

i think your solutions/workarounds will work for me.

i just tried it and you're right, "round pixelated" makes a single square pixel. not what i expected, i thought "square" was what i wanted.

shame about the tablet stuff but i can do pixel art now so it's not all bad.
topmarks

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me