New Rule: DNI (Do Not Interact) Lists are Banned

Announcements about events or changes to the website and forum

Re: New Rule: DNI (Do Not Interact) Lists are Banned

Postby Shenzai » Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:30 am

CrazyLemurPancho wrote:
agent three wrote:all of you are saying "they wont know" but do you realise how many people have fandoms on their dni list? theyre gonna know that! :-]

that's again really really hard to enforce, like if i have a sans pfp and talk to someone who just so happens to hate undertale is it really MY responsibility to avoid contact with that person or is it THEIR responsibility to block me or ignore me or (like the mod has stated above) turn off images or avatars on forums, or heck make a thread centered around not liking undertale as a fandom/game, i feel like DNI lists make people feel bad about themselves exactly for this reason, a child isnt going to think about whether you like or dislike a game or movie or show they like, they are going to talk to you no matter what, and that doesnt make then a mean or bad person, it makes them a child freely enjoying something they like, even if you personally dont like it

I think the whole mindset of demanding to not interact with or blocking someone just because they like something you hate is extremely toxic. Wanting to barricade yourself against people who have different tastes/opinions/etc can't possibly be good.
Shenzai

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Re:

Postby CrazyLemurPancho » Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:15 am

xX_Kiefernholz_Xx wrote:
    people can be spiteful, and choose to weaponize these types of things to harass people. i've been in servers/communities where people have laughed about it, bragged about it, considered doing it, and i have actually discouraged people, including some friends, from doing this because it is such a weird thing to do. and yes, this all happened around people who are on cs, not just offsite. just because you've never seen or heard of it happen, doesn't mean it does not.

I'm sorry you've been around people like that, but they don't make DNI lists as a whole bad.

A lot of people still find them a useful way to respectfully interact with somebody and not all DNIs are a hard "never interact me" even if they are called as they are. For example, I have many friends from before I created a DNI list who fit the criteria of said DNI. Having a DNI doesn't always mean you absolutely can't stand these people, and can sometimes be because you don't want more of them around you.

I think the biggest issue with DNIs is, as people have stated before, they can contain content which is also triggering to others. The problem here being (I think at least) some people do not clearly separate DNIs from the rest of their material on a page about them where people may view them if they wish to.

And not regarding our conversation, but a general response to most of the replies here: You do not get to decide that someone having a DNI as a whole is hurtful. You are allowed to be upset by it and feel hurt, but DNIs are in place for a reason. They could hurt themselves by interacting with you and while it may not be the internet's job to accommodate for them, if you're aware of their DNI, it is your responsibility to be a normal human being and respect their boundaries assuming their DNI is within reason.

like ive said before, it really shouldnt be the responsibility of the person who has an interest that is on someone else's DNI to have to then make absolutely sure they dont fall into that DNI, and honestly it is rather exclusionary, like my sans example, if i were to interact with someone on a forum during a different topic, and just so happened to have a pfp of something they have on their DNI list, is it really honestly my responsibility to then go to their profile, check their DNI list, and delete my comment on the forum just to make sure that person is as comfortable in a public space as possible? or is it their responsibility to just not interact with me? i feel like people forget that they can just, not interact with somebody they dont like? there's no reason it should fall onto the other person to make sure that they arnt interacting with people who actively dont like something they are apart of, like i can understand being like "i dont like spiders, pls dont send me pics of spiders or spider pets" or "please dont send me religious messages" or "i dont like undertale and dont wish to talk about it" but "dont talk to me if you like spiders or are christian or like undertale!!!" is a very exclusionary statement...
CrazyLemurPancho

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Serial designation N » Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:30 am

I’d just like to add that “toxic” Dni lists are typically written by actual children which is a reason they are banned from this site I’m guessing. I’d also like to say that there’s really no point in calling these kinds of Lists childish as most of the aggressive lists are by minors anyway and it adds nothing to the discussion. It also DOES come off as ableist. As someone with ptsd, I do not feel like I’m acting like a child if I inform people of topics that bother me. This discussion is also for a rule being put in place, but I’ve noticed a lot of the discussion is about Dni lists as a whole and that seems off topic to me especially when it’s bringing unneeded ableism. Also, many dni lists aren’t forceful and are merely an “FYI” in many cases, if you read one that was excessively aggressive, it’s typically by a minor which is very common on the internet unfortunately.

Also with blocking, people can block for any reason they feel. It doesn’t mean they “hate” someone. It’s their internet experience, they can block if they want to. If I’m not interested in a certain type of content and I see a user on my page alot, it’s much easier to block so that I get the content I want to see instead. There’s no “hate” involved. Also on cs, you can block for any reason or no reason at all. It’s your choice. No one absolutely has to interact with someone which is another issue I see in this discussion where people are upset that someone wouldn’t want to interact with someone.again, No one absolutely has to interact with someone and there doesn’t have to be a major reason for it. If someone blocked me, I’d just leave it at that, it would appear aggressive to try and change that and it wouldn’t be my place to. I don’t really know why I’ve seen blocking in this discussion alot, it’s really not something that someone should try to change.
currently on hiatus due to college. Again
Serial designation N

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby CrazyLemurPancho » Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:42 am

Kyojuro wrote:I’d just like to add that “toxic” Dni lists are typically written by actual children which is a reason they are banned from this site I’m guessing. I’d also like to say that there’s really no point in calling these kinds of Lists childish as most of the aggressive lists are by minors anyway and it adds nothing to the discussion. It also DOES come off as ableist. As someone with ptsd, I do not feel like I’m acting like a child if I inform people of topics that bother me. This discussion is also for a rule being put in place, but I’ve noticed a lot of the discussion is about Dni lists as a whole and that seems off topic to me especially when it’s bringing unneeded ableism. Also, many dni lists aren’t forceful and are merely an “FYI” in many cases, if you read one that was excessively aggressive, it’s typically by a minor which is very common on the internet unfortunately.

Also with blocking, people can block for any reason they feel. It doesn’t mean they “hate” someone. It’s their internet experience, they can block if they want to. If I’m not interested in a certain type of content and I see a user on my page alot, it’s much easier to block so that I get the content I want to see instead. There’s no “hate” involved. Also on cs, you can block for any reason or no reason at all. It’s your choice. No one absolutely has to interact with someone which is another issue I see in this discussion where people are upset that someone wouldn’t want to interact with someone.again, No one absolutely has to interact with someone and there doesn’t have to be a major reason for it. If someone blocked me, I’d just leave it at that, it would appear aggressive to try and change that and it wouldn’t be my place to. I don’t really know why I’ve seen blocking in this discussion alot, it’s really not something that someone should try to change.

see i can agree with this, im not saying that anyone should feel forced to interact with someone who is on their dni list, but more so that they should quietly block that person so that it doesnt end up hurting their feelings (talking mostly about fandom based dni lists) or causing a scene, it also doesnt put the person with the dni at risk of targeted harassment (using their dni against them has been a very common thing mentioned in this thread)
CrazyLemurPancho

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby useless witch » Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:49 am

I'd like to remind everyone that CS isn't trying to prevent you from having DNI at all, just trying to keep them off CS and keep them from being accessible through CS via links and stuff.
You can have your DNI just not here. /Pos
Image •Ванда• Image
ImageImage
useless witch

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby נוריאל » Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:59 am

⧗наташа⧗ wrote:I'd like to remind everyone that CS isn't trying to prevent you from having DNI at all, just trying to keep them off CS and keep them from being accessible through CS via links and stuff.

This is false, though, because if you use one on Flightrising or on toyhou.se or on literally any site chickensmoothie does NOT own, they can still punish you; this new rule is, once again, a way to attempt to control our behavior on other websites; it is 100% an attempt to try to prevent us from using them at all.
    xx
    xx

nuriel adult agender
    he / they / it pronouns
    feel free to pm me !!
    ©©
נוריאל

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby useless witch » Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:01 am

Nuriel wrote:
⧗наташа⧗ wrote:I'd like to remind everyone that CS isn't trying to prevent you from having DNI at all, just trying to keep them off CS and keep them from being accessible through CS via links and stuff.

This is false, though, because if you use one on Flightrising or on toyhou.se or on literally any site chickensmoothie does NOT own, they can still punish you; this new rule is, once again, a way to attempt to control our behavior on other websites; it is 100% an attempt to try to prevent us from using them at all.

Not if you don't link it (not starting a fight just saying)
Last edited by useless witch on Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image •Ванда• Image
ImageImage
useless witch

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby נוריאל » Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:05 am

⧗наташа⧗ wrote:
Nuriel wrote:

Not if you don't link it

What happens if you're attempting to commission someone on chickensmoothie, and you link your character's toyhou.se profile, & then chickensmoothie staff goes digging & finds you have a DNI & punishes you for it?
What happens if you're attempting to do offsite trading with someone, and the same happens?
It's one thing to ban content on YOUR SITE, and another thing entirely to punish people for... using other websites in a way you dislike? It's utterly ridiculous & always has been.
    xx
    xx

nuriel adult agender
    he / they / it pronouns
    feel free to pm me !!
    ©©
נוריאל

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby useless witch » Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:06 am

Staff has said they don't go digging and it's mostly user reports

You can link your characters in other ways
Image •Ванда• Image
ImageImage
useless witch

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Silver Pandorica » Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:12 am

Nuriel wrote:
⧗наташа⧗ wrote:
Nuriel wrote:

Not if you don't link it

What happens if you're attempting to commission someone on chickensmoothie, and you link your character's toyhou.se profile, & then chickensmoothie staff goes digging & finds you have a DNI & punishes you for it?
What happens if you're attempting to do offsite trading with someone, and the same happens?
It's one thing to ban content on YOUR SITE, and another thing entirely to punish people for... using other websites in a way you dislike? It's utterly ridiculous & always has been.

I actually agree with you that it is extremely frustrating to be put in this situation. I've gotten warned before for linking my TH when I wasn't even linking directly to anything violent or "inappropriate" according to cs rules. They had to go for a deep dive in order to dig up stuff that was against the rules, and even then, it was very mild stuff. While I do find it very frustrating, I can also sort of understand why the staff do this? It's to protect children from possibly harmful content and keep them from seeing anything that could disturb them. Still, I do think it's a bit too much to not let people link character pages for commissions or trading, because someone might just so happen to explore the rest of your TH from there and stumble upon something that is against cs rules, even if it is behind multiple warnings. In my personal opinion, it is then on the person digging around and not the fault of the person who linked something completely unrelated for a commission or trade.

Tldr; I can absolutely see both sides of this, and have experienced frustration over this particular rule, but above all, cs has to look out for the safety of minors. Otherwise, they could get in big trouble.
Hi, I'm Silver! Local socially
awkward English nerd, cat
lover, co-owner of floravits,
and Animal Crossing fan.
♡♡♡
art threadtrade thread
Silver Pandorica

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes