Paperclip challenge

Need help with the site/forum/pets? Ask questions and get help from other members here.

Paperclip challenge

Postby PastelDog » Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:34 am

Hi, I was wondering if there was a guide to how the paperclip challenge works and gives thorough instructions?
free art
Adopts Shop
OC Sale
• [url=link]Art Shop[/url]
Trading
UMA Storage
LOLO Stories
PastelDog

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Paperclip challenge

Postby Shinryu » Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:00 am

Raveron wrote:Hi, I was wondering if there was a guide to how the paperclip challenge works and gives thorough instructions?

Hey there;
I don't think there's really much of a guide out there, as technically, a paperclip challenge is pretty simple:
The goal of a paperclip challenge is to start out with a single, low value pet, and gradually trade one-by-one for more and more valuable pets until you reach whatever pet you set as your goal. (Most people aim for the stars and want to reach something very rare, but it's all up to you!)
The only "rule" to speak of is that you are trying to consistently trade a single pet "up" by getting a different, slightly more valuable pet for it in return.
For example, if you have a common pet from May 2015, trading it for an uncommon pet from May 2015 would be a "trade up", but so would trading it for a common pet from, say, January 2014.

I've seen variations of the challenge where people have a full group of pets they try to trade up, but if you wanna be literal, it's only a "real" paperclip trade if one pet gets traded for one other pet of higher value.
(Since the whole challenge is based off the story of the one red paperclip)

(It's worth noting that many people don't particularly like receiving trades for paperclip challenges, though, as the basic concept is that you will be expecting overpay for your pet. So the safest way to do it without bothering anyone is to a) wait for people to offer a pet to you instead, for example by putting your paperclip pet in a special group, or b) to trade up by such minimal steps that most people would still consider it a fair trade.
For example, a lot of people don't actually mind trading pets that were released within 1-3 months of each other, so they might not mind if you offer your May '15 pet for an April '15 pet - but with each trade like this, you're still upgrading your value a little.
It takes a combination of patient trading and luck, though - at the end of the day, if you want to trade for a higher rarity pet than the one you own, you'll still likely need to either trade down in age, or hope someone simply wants to trade you a higher rarity pet in a 1:1 trade.)

[ formerly ZEL ] [ they/he ] [ Germany ]      And what of you, my mirror?      [PCE] [FR]
                           currently mostly inactive
Shinryu

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Paperclip challenge

Postby PastelDog » Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:08 am

Ah okay. Thank you so much. I want to try it, but I'm a bit iffy about it.
free art
Adopts Shop
OC Sale
• [url=link]Art Shop[/url]
Trading
UMA Storage
LOLO Stories
PastelDog

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery