Confusion regarding rules about external links

Need help with the site/forum/pets? Ask questions and get help from other members here.

Confusion regarding rules about external links

Postby Disgustedorite » Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:01 am

In the rules, it is stated that one cannot link to websites containing inappropriate content, but I'm confused about what is actually allowed. For example, in the past, I think I asked about this and was told that people linking to toyhouse and other sites that allow inappropriate content to be posted were violating the rules and should be reported, yet I have even seen forum moderators with links to that very website in their signatures.

Can I get a bit more clarity on exactly what is allowed to be linked?
Disgustedorite

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Confusion regarding rules about external links

Postby Burrito Bunny » Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:54 am

The rule is more focussed on what can be found easily through the linked content, rather than banning sites like that outright. For example, Toy House allows content that wouldn't be ok on CS. However, if a user keeps their own Toy House account completely family friendly, following all of CS's rules, then they may link their Toy House account here. However, if someone has adult content somewhere on their Toy House account, then it should not be linked anywhere on CS as it will easily lead children to find that material.

If the site's only/main focus is to host inappropriate content, then it would not be allowed. We do not want to direct our users to websites that exist mainly to distribute adult content. Otherwise it comes down to if the link and the content surrounding it (generally the account attached to it) also follow our rules.

I hope that makes sense. If you have a specific question about a link, you are welcome to send a help ticket to get an answer from staff before posting.
Burrito Bunny
Global Moderator

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Disgustedorite » Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:03 am

What about sites (forums and petsites in particular) that allow mild/infrequent swearing but are otherwise family-friendly (basically, like the movie/tv definition of PG-13)? I know there's at least a few sites which have occasionally been linked on CS that are like that, though I haven't been able to find recent examples of the specific one I'm thinking of.
Disgustedorite

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Schuyler » Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:32 pm

As a general rule of thumb, it's ok if the site has more lenient rules than CS as long as mature content is not a primary focus; however, if any content that would not be allowed to be posted on CS can be found on the linked page, account, or somewhere that can be readily accessed from that page (ex. with only a couple easy clicks), it should not be shared here.

We really can't say anything more specific than that, as exactly what is and isn't appropriate has to be determined on a case-by-case basis by examining the site and the specific pages linked. You should use your own judgement (consider a young child viewing the linked page) and if you ever have a link you aren't sure about, you can send it to us in a help ticket first so that we can check if it looks alright before you post it.
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
Art credits: Avatar
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage