How do I sell art/characters?

Need help with the site/forum/pets? Ask questions and get help from other members here.

How do I sell art/characters?

Postby LoveIsLove » Sat May 15, 2021 7:52 pm

(If this is the wrong place to post sorry!)

Hi, I am a complete noob to online art stuff and would really appreciate some advice. I am really looking to buff up my collection and I see a lot of people do this by selling art. However I have absolutely no knowledge in this area. How do I go about selling art? What is the etiquette for getting art to the buyer? Can I sell traditional (pencil and paper) art?

For example this is some simple art I would like to sell

Is this good enough to sell? Or should I make stuff that’s nicer?

If it’s good enough how would I go about selling it? step by step if possible. Please be as detailed as you can because I know nothing lol. However absolutely any help is appreciated!

Sorry if I’m overthinking this way too much I just don’t want to do stuff wrong!

Thanks ahead of time for any advice! :)
Image♢There are nights when the wolves are silent, and only the moon howls♢
~George Carlin
LoveIsLove

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: How do I sell art/characters?

Postby Celozon » Sun May 16, 2021 4:33 am

If you are looking to sell art, you can do that by setting up an art shop here;
Forum/viewforum.php?f=21

You can really set it up however you want, there isn't really anything specific you need to include beside the basics, having some example art and prices set out. There are some threads on that board that offer advice on setting up art shops.

You can definitely sell traditional art. To be clear, you can't send them the physical art as it is not allowed to share personal information like your address on CS, but it is totally fine to offer traditional art and they get the image you provide. When it comes to traditional art, I'd suggest trying to see if you can scan in the images, that helps immensely with the quality of the art and how willing people are to buy it. There are even apps you can use to 'scan' art (I've been using camscanner for a while but I'm sure there are others) if you don't have a printer with a scanner available.

If you are interested in doing digital art there are multiple free art programs out there you can use (GIMP, FireAlpaca, etc), and there is always the oekaki as well. There is a spot for art shops on the oekaki if you want to do some commissions on there.

Personally I find it good to include these when setting up a shop:
  • A variety of examples, even if you only have one style or type of art you do, having multiple examples (especially of different types of characters/species) is helpful to customers in determining if they want to buy your art.
  • Have at least a base price to work off of. I understand not having a good idea of where to value your art, and may be tempted to simply tell people pay what they want or make an offer, but customers are often more comfortable and more likely to order if there is a set price that you determine, rather than asking them to choose. People on CS already tend to underpay as it is, and other may not feel comfortable 'valuing' your art for you by determining their own price. I suggest looking around other art shops for art similar to yours and seeing what their prices art, if they seem to getting a lot of orders or not, etc. Or, simply pick a price you feel comfortable with, or feel what your art it worth, and adjust it depending on the response. For example, if you seem to be getting more orders than you can handle, you may have price set too low, so then increase it. Find a good median that works for you.
  • Have clear rules for your shop. If there are specific things you won't draw (for example, humans) than let your customers know that. If your shop is not first come first serve, put that in there. Let them know how you will be running your shop so they know what to expect when they order. Will you send them sketches to be reviewed before sending the finished piece? Is payment accepted right away, or not until you have completed the art? Is there a normal turnaround time from when you accept a commission until you finish the art? Are you willing to make changes to art once you have finished it? etc.
  • If you are willing, offer multiple payment options. This is just based on what you are interested in receiving as payment, but offering multiple different options for others to pay with (such as rares or C$) can be helpful in reaching your full consumer base. If you only accept C$, people who want your art may not be able to order because they don't have any C$, and vice versa.
  • Look around at other art shops, even if you don't plan on ordering just take a look at how they set up their shop, what they includes, etc, and see if you want to include any of that in yours.

While not necessary, I find it helps to have a clean and precise setup, not too much text or long paragraphs. Try to split everything up neatly. A little basic coding can help as well, even if its just bold text headers for each section, so users can easily find what they are looking for. Such as being able to find the prices at a glance. Personally, I don't care too much if a shop looks 'pretty' I just want it to be easy to read and easy to find what I'm looking for.

It also prefer keeping any large image examples as links rather than full images so users do not have to scroll so much. You can size a few down to put up as full images, so they can be seen at a glance, but try to keep it to a few, I always find it bothersome to have to scroll through 10+ image examples. If you do put up large images, than try putting those at the bottom so they don't have to scroll past them to find prices or other info.

As for etiquette, besides just generally being polite and open I don't know there is any specific 'best' way to do it. Usually art is sent over PM, though you can post finished art on the shop (make sure they know you will be if thats the case, or also PM them). Its good to keep in touch with the customer while you do the art. I like to send sketches and sometimes get further information or details on what they want. Communication is very important. If they aren't clear on what they want, then ask them to clarify. I find its better to talk it over in detail before getting started, that way you don't spend time making something only to find thats not what they wanted. I suggest keeping everything on CS in PMs rather than discord or offsite, and its not a bad idea to save the PMs or put them in a special folder (just speaking as a moderator its much easier for us to help you if something goes wrong and you can just report the PMs for us).

Personally what I do is I open my shop, its not fcfs, I let them know this in the shop rules, and make it clear that I accept orders on the thread itself (some people will PM you when they accept your order, though I think this is less commonplace now). I respond to accepted orders on the thread and let them know a time frame if I can, and that payment should be sent over as a trade ready-to-accept (I wait till I finish the art to actually accept the trade). If I do have any further questions about the character or what exactly they want, I ask there. I usually do a sketch first and send it to the user through PM so they can review and tell me if they want anything changed. If they do, I send a new sketch until they are happy with it. Once they accept the sketch, I will usually finish the art without giving further progress updates (Occasionally I will depending on the situation/size of the art, I mostly do pixel art though so its normally small). Once the art is completed I send it to them through PM. I usually wait until they respond back to make sure they do not want anything changed, assuming all is good I then accept the payment trade (If they don't respond back for some reason within a day or two I just accept the payment then).

I personally recommend when it comes to payment to have them send when you accept the form, but wait to accept the payment until you finish the art. I've seen a lot of situations where the artist accepted the payment right away, but never finished the art, and then there are issues, especially if they already traded the payment. Or the other way around of the customer never sending the payment after the art was finished. I've found my way of doing it is a good median to those.

This turned into a bit of a text wall aha, its actually pretty simple to run an art shop, just takes some getting used to and getting some experience in it. Everyone runs their shop a bit differently, just depends what works for you and what you prefer. You could always try ordering some art first too and see what its like as the customer, might gives you a better idea of what to do as the owner of a shop. And just taking a look at other shops should help too.

//Disclaimer: These are only my opinions and views as a regular member of this site and not as a moderator/staff, unless otherwise stated
ImageImage
Celozon
Global Moderator

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby LoveIsLove » Sun May 16, 2021 4:54 am

Wow! I really appreciate how thorough you were in your answer! I really appreciate it!

I do have a couple questions though if that’s alright. Right off the bat I’m not sure I’d be comfortable doing custom orders because I don’t know how well I’d be able to meet a buyers expectations. Would it be a similar process if I sold art I made on a piece by piece basis? Just post the art (maybe with a watermark?) and take offers/bids or price however I think is fair? Would I also do that on the art shop thread or is there a separate thread auctioning/selling individual art pieces?
~George Carlin
LoveIsLove

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Celozon » Sun May 16, 2021 5:50 am

LoveIsLove wrote:Wow! I really appreciate how thorough you were in your answer! I really appreciate it!

I do have a couple questions though if that’s alright. Right off the bat I’m not sure I’d be comfortable doing custom orders because I don’t know how well I’d be able to meet a buyers expectations. Would it be a similar process if I sold art I made on a piece by piece basis? Just post the art (maybe with a watermark?) and take offers/bids or price however I think is fair? Would I also do that on the art shop thread or is there a separate thread auctioning/selling individual art pieces?

Do you mean selling characters, or just art in general? I haven't seen anyone selling off just, general art. Characters or character concepts are pretty normal to sell, but not sure if there is much of a consumer base just for non-character art. I think for the most part people people are looking to buy characters or art of their characters. Character sales on the forums go here.

Its generally the same process, I don't have any real personal experience there to offer sorry, I only have a few characters and the few I sell are mostly on oekaki.

If you want to get more used to doing custom orders, you might consider doing free art here. Because its free, there really aren't any expectations, and you can do as much and as little as you want, and pick which characters you want to do.

Though personally, as someone who commissions art, as long as the artist has a good set of example art, I know exactly what I'm ordering from them and really my only expectation is that it will look similar to the example art. I think most people understand that here, they are not going to expect something different than what your examples look like, or be upset/not like the outcome when they knew what your art looks like. Even before I was a GH/GM I did a lot of commissions, and I never had a problem with someone being unhappy with the outcome. I always offer to make little changes, like if I missed a marking or something, but overall I've had mostly good experiences when doing commissions. I mean, if someone is paying you for your art, they generally /want/ to see it in your style, they don't want you to copy the ref style or try to draw like another artist, they want your art. I always find thats a good thing to remember. (I mean, if they are expecting you to draw in a style other than your own, than thats on them)

I totally understand being worried about it though, doing commissions can take some getting used to. And Its good to know your limitations or what you are willing to do. If a character looks too complex, is a species you haven't drawn before or has too many markings or accessories that you don't feel comfortable drawing them, you don't have to. Just cause someone wants to commission you doesn't mean you have to accept either, you can always say no.

Like I said before a lot of it just comes from the experience too, whatever feels like a good starting point, go with that. You can work towards doing other stuff from there.
ImageImage
Celozon
Global Moderator

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Thovatos » Sun May 16, 2021 6:00 am

LoveIsLove wrote:Wow! I really appreciate how thorough you were in your answer! I really appreciate it!

I do have a couple questions though if that’s alright. Right off the bat I’m not sure I’d be comfortable doing custom orders because I don’t know how well I’d be able to meet a buyer's expectations. Would it be a similar process if I sold art I made on a piece by piece basis? Just post the art (maybe with a watermark?) and take offers/bids or price however I think is fair? Would I also do that on the art shop thread or is there a separate thread auctioning/selling individual art pieces?

I don't mind helping you over DM's if you would like? I've been long time selling commissions over CS! And yes, Celozon is completely right! Having a broad example range of your ability would leave no place for expectations to hide! I always tell people to post the full range of your work. Both your good days, and your not so good days. Well you might ask, "Won't those not so good days chase people away?" ANd to that, I say well it's important they see all levels of your work. If there is something you struggle with, they should be made known about it before they try to order from you! And trust me when I say the CS art community is a pretty loving one! I've been apart of art communities for a long time, and CS is really one of the more accepting places I've been art wise~ Trust yourself, and be confident! Everyone always has to improve at something, whether or not they look like it to you or not, even the greats here on CS still beat themselves up about something art related, so know you're not alone!
Joining art threads and sharing your work can really be a confidence booster!

As for your original post; I've seen people sell traditional, yes!! Just be mindful, most people have their preferences on digital art, but that doesn't mean there still isn't a market for you out there! Many people sell characters that are posted on their ToyHouse, or character auction threads, so yeas, that is perfectly an option for you. After that, the main art selling you see on CS, is Commission work, landscaping work(Still not as common and mostly still sold as a commission style work), and Customs.

If you need any advice, my PM's are always open UWU
Thovatos

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby LoveIsLove » Sun May 16, 2021 1:52 pm

I really appreciate all the help from both of you! I will definitely dm you thovatos if I need anymore help! I really appreciate your offer!

I think I may try out the free art thread just to at least have a few example pieces. Most of my art is a bit older or rough doodles. I don’t have a ton of examples so that would probably be a two birds one stone situation lol.

Thank you guys so much for all of your help!! I really really appreciate it!!
~George Carlin
LoveIsLove

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me