Question about rarity otucomes

Need help with the site/forum/pets? Ask questions and get help from other members here.

Question about rarity otucomes

Postby wintersolitude » Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:47 am

Im wondering, do recent event pets (like the easter bunnies) ever have a chance to be "rare" when their rarity updates for the first time? or do you always have to wait several years for that to happen? :D just wondering if it's TRULY important to wait til their rarity appears, or if it's okay to trade them whuile they're unknown. If the best outcome for a new pet is uncommon, then I don't really mind trading them while they're unknown.
wintersolitude

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Question about rarity otucomes

Postby Pumpkinheart » Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:48 am

Usually there are quite a few rares from easter events, so it'd be smarter to wait to trade them until their rarity shows up. They can be rares right away.
Ello! You can call me Pumpkin or Embee :D

★Any pronouns★

★Bi★

★Minor★

(This is a WIP hdchscdhs)
Pumpkinheart

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby wintersolitude » Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:55 am

Oh wow, I didin't know that! Thank you so much for letting me know. I'll definitely be patient now lol
wintersolitude

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Oddity-Lad » Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:43 am

To go into specifics, the rarities are determined based off of how many of any given pet exists per active account. Meaning the more popular Bunny designs are usually less likely to be rare as they are hoarded by more people during the event. The less popular rabbit designs are less likely to be hoarded which means fewer of them exist. Which is why in 2020 the snow cloud Bunny is only UC. This year there were quite a few really popular designs so I would not be surprised if we got a bunch of UC. The random boxes are hard to judge because the amounts in existence are not selected by the players, however people tend to trade for outcomes they missed instead of spending tokens on them (to save more for Bunnies)

Based on an outdated explanation from Nick in 2009 this is around how the rarities work

Nick wrote:Right now the rarities are:
OMG so rare! (less than 1 pet per 1000 users)
Very rare (less than 1 pet per 80 users)
Rare (less than 1 pet per 25 users)
Uncommon (less than 1 pet per 5.5 users)
Common (less than 1 pet per 3 users)
Very common (more than 1 pet per 3 users)
OMG so common (???)

This of course was from over a decade ago and the rarities have since gone through two major updates (the last one bumped some pets down two rarities, and changed the system so that it only counted active accounts instead of all accounts) unfortunately though a visual scale of the new rarities does not exist.

If you're big on reading This is the "Understanding Rarities" guide and it goes through all of the variables that can impact a pets Popularity/Rarity
Last edited by Oddity-Lad on Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Signature art by Batman

Oddity-Lad

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Shinryu » Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:39 am

Just butting in real quick to note that the above quote from Nick is from 2009 and not representative of our current rarity system any more, as it has undergone two major overhauls since the date those figures were posted^^ (Notably, the last update changed the thresholds between rarities.)
I also wrote up a more up to date rarity guide last year here, as the original Understanding Rarities guide by Hekomi is from 2011. (The trade aspect of that guide is still solid though! So for a more trade focused approach do give it a read!)

[ formerly ZEL ] [ they/he ] [ Germany ]      And what of you, my mirror?      [PCE] [FR]
                           currently mostly inactive
Shinryu

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me