Rule Change targeting offsite bullying/harassment

Need help with the site/forum/pets? Ask questions and get help from other members here.

Re: Rule Change targeting offsite bullying/harassment

Postby Celozon » Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:01 am

i<3 wolves678 wrote:
What personally bothers me about this rule is that a lot of the “offsite bullying” I have seen is in regards to actual problematic users either potentially/actually exposing minors to dangerous content, being blatantly homophobic/transphobic, or in general being someone who causes a lot of issues in the community (scamming, ninja trading, etc.)

Many of these things get reported to staff by the users complaining and are often let slide, and that’s why people are angry. CS is considered a safe space for many minors, but seeing users get away with harmful actions without rectification simply for being popular or well known is upsetting to say the least. This website means a lot to me and has helped me get through a lot of difficult times growing up, I only want the best for it and for other users to have the same good experiences I have had, but in more recent times, it feels like things have changed a lot. I don’t want this message to be taken the wrong way, I just want what’s best for the website moving forward, and feel like this needed to be said.

I would like to clarify something here, this is not directed only at you, I've seen several people interpreting the situation this way. Some of the other staff have already said this but it keeps getting brought up.

Before this announcement we did not take off-site actions into consideration because we do not have jurisdiction outside of CS, and so long as users followed CS rules on CS, they were allowed to stay. That means that if you or anyone else previously reported someone for off-site behavior and was told we would not do anything about it, that has now changed as of this announcement, and we may do something about it now. There seems to be an assumption that because we didn't do anything about these users before this announcement, that we won't now, and that is not the case.

And regardless of all of that, contributing and participating in off-site harassment of CS users isn't the way to go. Even if those users are 'problematic', that doesn't give you a free pass. It is still bullying regardless of who it is directed at. Participating in such a thing is harmful to CS and its users, whether you believe it to be or not. So yes, this rule also opens up people involved in off-site harassment to be punished, but that is not sole objective of it.

We truly do want to make this site a better place for out users, that is why this rule has been established. So that we can start taking action against people who are a danger to our users, even if they didn't do anything directly on-site.

As ZEL and others mentioned, you may not see us directly respond right away, but that doesn't mean we haven't seen and are not investigating on the back end. Personally, I have never seen anyone get a free pass for being popular. Our decisions in tickets are formed as a group, not by a single user. Personally I do not care who is or isn't popular in the adopt community or who is buddies with staff or any of that. If I saw another staff member actually being biased about something I'd definitely tell them. But I've been a GM for a year and a half and I've yet to see that. We also do not stalk specific users waiting for them to make a mistake. People like to forget that we have our own lives outside of CS, and we are free to enjoy CS outside of our moderating duties. We aren't going to spend our free time refreshing someone's profile so we can nitpick what they are doing. If you really do have a concern over us being unfair about something, send in a ticket asking for a second opinion, and we can be sure to re-examine what happened and make sure the decision we reached was correct.

//again just a disclaimer that this isn't directed specifically at you but just users as a whole who have been voicing these opinions.
    Aro / Ace | They / Them
    Message me about anything!
    Discord: Celozon#5507
Celozon
Global Moderator

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby i<3 wolves678 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:27 am

Thank you, I’m glad to have a bit more clarity on what this change means, I hope that if going forward with this intention, it can do more good to the community than the harm I was initially worried about.
I understand CS staff have a lot on their plate outside of the website, but I think this kind of communication to users is very important so people feel their opinions are heard and know what is going on.

I’d like to clarify that while I have definitely seen harassment of problematic users, there is equal parts people who are simply trying to inform and warn others or even politely explain to the user themself why this behavior might be upsetting or dangerous. I hope these kind of comments don’t get swept under the rug as being abusive, as I feel it’s important users are able to discuss such things in a civil manner, but I fully understand why action would be taken against up right derogatory comments.

Without naming names or pointlessly vaguing, I have personally witnessed instances of popular users getting away with things, but would like to give the benefit of the doubt that it was either completely coincidental or fell under the previous guidelines regarding off site content, and it’s not important now as long as these rules are upheld in the future.

Overall, I really hope these new rules are implemented well and bring improvements to communication in the site and community.
signature is wip, can’t code to save my life lol
Please be patient with me, I am autistic
and have a lot of anxiety issues that can make
communication difficult at times,
I might not always respond to trades
so please don’t take it personally if
I accidentally leave yours to rot,
it’s nothing personal :’)
i<3 wolves678

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Rosemoon » Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:29 am

I noticed something mentioned here a few times that I was keeping in mind too; I think when it comes to someone making a report about someone breaking CS rules, people would feel a lot more comfortable if they received a direct response back stating "thank you for bringing this to our attention we will respond accordingly" so that we at least know that our grievance was addressed. That's why so many people are saying they feel ignored and left in the dark when reporting these issues, because there are times where we don't get any proper response back stating "hey we read your message, thank you for letting us know we'll take a look at what's going on" just an automated message stating "someone will read your message eventually". And I think that's causing people to be unsure of whether or not a situation has been dealt with and causing users to be uncomfortable and feel unsafe not knowing if their voice was heard. I feel like just a simple message stating that their grievance was heard would ease a lot of people's minds, no need to disclose any specific info about what the situation is or what actions will be taken, just a small "hey we read your message, don't worry we'll look into it" like I see some mods do with other reports.
I ɢᴏᴛ ᴇɴᴇᴍɪᴇs, ᴀ ᴍɪʟʟɪᴏɴ ᴇɴᴇᴍɪᴇs

Rose × They/Them × Stress, Depressed, but Well Dressed
Hi! My name is Rosemoon and I'm here to escape the world! If you're interested in joining a semi-lit post nuclear apocalyptic fursona RP, feel free to check out To The Victor Go The Spoils and follow along my progress until it opens! I also have a species called Darner Fae and we have staff apps open!
My art shop is temporarily closed! And I am getting rid of a few characters.

Sig Art Credit: OliveCow
Icon Art Credit: illusion-flare

Check Out White Frost Adopts
ImageImage
ImageImage

Bᴜᴛ ʙᴀʙʏ, I'ᴍ ғᴇᴇʟɪɴ' ғɪɴᴇ!
Rosemoon

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Simon » Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:15 am

Rosemoon wrote:I noticed something mentioned here a few times that I was keeping in mind too; I think when it comes to someone making a report about someone breaking CS rules, people would feel a lot more comfortable if they received a direct response back stating "thank you for bringing this to our attention we will respond accordingly" so that we at least know that our grievance was addressed. That's why so many people are saying they feel ignored and left in the dark when reporting these issues, because there are times where we don't get any proper response back stating "hey we read your message, thank you for letting us know we'll take a look at what's going on" just an automated message stating "someone will read your message eventually". And I think that's causing people to be unsure of whether or not a situation has been dealt with and causing users to be uncomfortable and feel unsafe not knowing if their voice was heard. I feel like just a simple message stating that their grievance was heard would ease a lot of people's minds, no need to disclose any specific info about what the situation is or what actions will be taken, just a small "hey we read your message, don't worry we'll look into it" like I see some mods do with other reports.

I think this is a fair point, I'll talk with the team about being better about doing this. Sometimes we get 10-30 tickets about the same exact situation so it can be tedious to reply to every single one, but it's understandable that you would want to know your ticket was received and is being worked on.

If you think your ticket has been forgotten or has fallen through the cracks, you are always welcome to send a follow-up reply.
Simon
Admin

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Asvoria » Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:11 am

Simon wrote:
    I think this is a fair point, I'll talk with the team about being better about doing this. Sometimes we get 10-30 tickets about the same exact situation so it can be tedious to reply to every single one, but it's understandable that you would want to know your ticket was received and is being worked on.

If you think your ticket has been forgotten or has fallen through the cracks, you are always welcome to send a follow-up reply.

I remember myself being quite dissapointed about never receiving answers to a couple of reports that I had sent in. I already assumed that those had been reported multiple times (and I guess that happens alot if reports aren't directly associated with forum posts that can only be reported once), but it would have been nice to have just heard a simple: "We've looked at your report and have taken action according to our judgment of the situation" once you've closed the case. This doesn't really need involve any specific notation of what specific steps you intend to take, it just helps us acknowledge that this has been looked through. Otherwise I'll find myself vaguely doubting that my report was of any use or concern to the admins.

I deeply encourage and support the expansion of CS user reports! Recently I've discovered that of all the sites I ever joined in my teens, only CS really stuck with me and I especially associate that decision with the community and the feeling of a safe haven. Being an adult now, I often wonder why I still enjoy the plain and soft environment at this site and every time I can only conclude that it must be due to the restriction of content. In a world where everyone threatens to be overruled by broad criticism and undirected temper tantrums, I find myself happy and content with the comfortable atmosphere of CS. With those new rules, harassment and hate of other sites won't be able to slip into our CS bubble! <3
ImagexxImage
Asvoria

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Cløckwørk » Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:42 am

Simon wrote:
Rosemoon wrote:I noticed something mentioned here a few times that I was keeping in mind too; I think when it comes to someone making a report about someone breaking CS rules, people would feel a lot more comfortable if they received a direct response back stating "thank you for bringing this to our attention we will respond accordingly" so that we at least know that our grievance was addressed. That's why so many people are saying they feel ignored and left in the dark when reporting these issues, because there are times where we don't get any proper response back stating "hey we read your message, thank you for letting us know we'll take a look at what's going on" just an automated message stating "someone will read your message eventually". And I think that's causing people to be unsure of whether or not a situation has been dealt with and causing users to be uncomfortable and feel unsafe not knowing if their voice was heard. I feel like just a simple message stating that their grievance was heard would ease a lot of people's minds, no need to disclose any specific info about what the situation is or what actions will be taken, just a small "hey we read your message, don't worry we'll look into it" like I see some mods do with other reports.

Follow ups on reports would be a god send, I know I for one get incredibly invested in some reports I make that are of bigger things, such as scammers, multi's, bullying etc. So a follow up, even if it is something small like "this has been dealt with, thank you for your report" would be great.

That being said, I've noticed that a lot more of my reports do get a follow up since that making of the "sell cs thread" when they have been dealt with, though never those that are presumably discarded. If the discarded reports got feedback as well, and an explanation why it's not adequate or that nothing could be done (no need for an explanation), it may allow the users to get more information or drop the case, and/or learn how to report more effectively in the future.
click HERE to win a 2010 store pet!

───────────────┐

ImagexxxImage
┌───────────────┘

──────────┐

The Clockwork Cat
She/Her . UK
Adult . Virgo

──────────┘
xx
xx
xx
𝚘𝚏 𝚎𝚟𝚎𝚛𝚢𝚍𝚊𝚢 𝚏𝚘𝚕𝚔 ◎ ◎ ◎
━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━ ━━ ━
tagging along || flight rising || coding
━ ━━ ━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

┌─────┐
└─────┘
┌─────┐
└─────┘
┌─────┐
└─────┘

𝚍𝚊𝚛𝚔𝚗𝚎𝚜𝚜 𝚊𝚝 𝚋𝚊𝚢;

Cløckwørk

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby nickjr » Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:20 am

Going through the help ticket PMs that I have from the last few years (because I kept my PMs for regular users turned off for years and I still don't PM a lot, so my PM history goes quite a ways back), and digging up my own memories, it looks like I didn't receive a reply for a lot of the smaller reports I made (e.g. users revealing their age--I'm a snitch, sorry), but I remember checking the posts/user profiles later on and seeing that things were apparently taken care of. Sometimes I did receive a reply that things were taken care of.

However, I'm finding that there are some help tickets I sent where I never received a reply and either have no way to see if anything's been done or actually can see that nothing's been done (not about users, but about on-site features/images/etc), including a help ticket I sent in 2018 about these Nick rats not even having a CS tag despite small pets like the hamsters having the CS tag and then attempted to follow up on a few months later, only to still receive no reply...

Definitely would help if there's some kind of standard human reply so we know nothing fell through the cracks.
Spread the word to end the word, because discrimination based on perceived or actual IQ/"intelligence" is no better than discrimination based on race, gender, etc.

Context, consistency, and clear antecedents are golden.
I neither read nor speak between the lines. But I will analyze your language.

Often on phone |||| Timezone: EDT/EST (CS Time -4/-5) |||| Very turbulent life IRL
Intentionally turned off signatures; PMs off June 2013 - June 2020, may turn off again later
Banner by Moonflight Image It's been over 10 years since my request, and I still love it. Thank you so much!

Character in avatar is from CS's 2015 Sucrose City summer event. Border made by me in MS Paint, Windows 8.1 xD
nickjr

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Aurora Storm » Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:07 pm

I don't have much experience with CS offsite, but I think this is definitely a positive change and I commend the continued efforts made by CS staff to keep this site a friendly & safe environment for everyone. Thank you!

╔═════════════════════╗
guide to cs rarities
art shop
| trades

aiming for a complete collection;
29 pets to go!

╚═════════════════════╝
Aurora Storm

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby LemonadeLyric » Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:04 pm

Very glad to see this! I'm glad CS will handle things in an appropriate way.

And I second the help ticket replies. It's nice getting the "We received your ticket!" message, but I also would like some form of "It's been handled" or anything back too!

I try not to report too much, but I know that without the reports, staff can't be held accountable for not seeing every single post and image made on CS, so I try to help a little!

Again, super happy to hear about this rule change ^w^ and I hope it helps everyone feel more safe on CS!

Lʏʀɪᴄ||Aᴅᴜʟᴛ||Hᴇ/Hɪᴍ
───── 🤍 ─────
I'ᴍ ᴄᴜʀʀᴇɴᴛʟʏ ɪɴᴛᴏ
Cʜɪᴄᴋᴇɴ Sᴍᴏᴏᴛʜɪᴇ, Aᴍᴏɴɢ Us,
Mɪɴᴇᴄʀᴀғᴛ, and Uɴᴜs Aɴɴᴜs
───── ۞ ─────
Mᴇᴍᴇɴᴛᴏ Mᴏʀɪ.
───── ۝ ─────
Bᴏʀᴅᴇʀs ᴍᴀᴅᴇ ʙʏ ᴍᴇ

LemonadeLyric

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Zetirian » Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:21 am

This rule was long overdue. Good job for implementing it none the less.

And yes, having a 2 reply system to all tickets and stuff (if they need it like reports and stuff) should be a thing. We users got no idea what’s going on behind the scenes, so a little acknowledgement could help the situation and help prevent... distrust like was exhibited in some cases on previous pages of this thread precisely?

Reply 1: hey we got your message thanks fam

Reply 2: hey yeah it’s resolves thanks fam for sending have a nice day

I mean the automatic message is there which is great but it lets us know it’s been sent, not if it’s been read or received.

Maybe it’s because I come from a customer service background but allowing the client to know their report is validated and actioned is very important to encourage that customer to become a return customer. It helps create a healthy relationship between user and staff and not only can it encourage people to actually put in the effort to report, but help with increase quality of reporting which could also solve some of the previous problems listed in this thread. I mean, one step at a time eh?
I am on mobile.
Current mood: I work with the deceased. And customer service. Go figure.
Don’t you want to see a highlight?
13/04/17 <3
Zetirian

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me