Oekaki - pen pressure for Linux? (semi solved)

Need help with the site/forum/pets? Ask questions and get help from other members here.

Oekaki - pen pressure for Linux? (semi solved)

Postby rabidcoyote » Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:05 am

Semi solved by switching from one release to another. Oekaki works fine with pen pressure on Manjaro without any oddly specific extra steps.
I am using a Wacom tablet (old Intuos) and a Vivaldi browser. I've installed this wacom driver.

Hey, I've searched the forum and I guess there's no real solution for this, but I want to ask again in case I'm missing something obvious. I'm on Linux (Fedora 31), Vivaldi browser, I use a Wacom Intuos Pro tablet that I've managed to get to work on GIMP/Krita etc. and Oekaki works fine, just without pen pressure at all. It's not a major issue that will stop me from using it but if there's something that can be done about it, I'd like to know. Am I missing something obvious? You tell me.

edit- I don't have Wine installed, haven't tried the JTablet way. Maybe that's what I'm missing lol. But I'd like to know if there's a native library I can use instead
edit2- I have used Oekaki on Vivaldi on Windows without issue.
Last edited by rabidcoyote on Sun Nov 20, 2022 1:00 am, edited 3 times in total.
rabidcoyote

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Oekaki - pen pressure for Linux?

Postby rabidcoyote » Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:07 pm

^
Last edited by rabidcoyote on Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
rabidcoyote

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby rabidcoyote » Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:07 am

Thank you everyone for your help! My laptop broke before I got to sit on the issue, but for anyone who might be having the same problem in future-

• Wacom's drivers have a user made linux friendly version that works in art programs (at least on Krita)
  • I haven't tried it, but I suspect installing the Windows version of Chrome via Wine might work with Oekaki?
  • As for tips on drawing without pen pressure,
    • I found the pixelated square brush works the best, size varying from 1 to 3, sometimes 4.
    • Make sure your pen opacity is all the way up,
    • and with basic knowledge on masks (not clipping) and a bit of patience, it just works.

I'd kind of prefer this thread to stay open in case someone with a Linux OS can deny or confirm if the Wine Chrome thing works? The issue isn't exactly resolved, it's no longer relevant but I haven't exactly found a solution so... if anything changes on the Oekaki/Linux front I'd love to hear it even if 5 years late fgsghs
rabidcoyote

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby rabidcoyote » Sun Nov 20, 2022 12:56 am

Update and necro lol I've switched from Fedora to Manjaro and it works fine on Vivaldi browser, I didn't need to do anything extra.

Things I've learned on this journey:
  • oekaki gives crisper lines when you don't use pen pressure lol
  • it also runs on linux surprisingly smoothly. you know how when you doodle circles very fast on windows os they occasionally turn into lines cause the app can't keep up? IT DOESN'T HAPPEN ON MANJARO. Not once. Not at my highest speed and I've mastered the arts of checking all possible osu spinners.
  • the weight of the pen is heavier on linux, making oekaki feel like a proper standalone art program
  • why does this work better here than on mr default OS, i'm confused.

x
𝕒 π•˜π•£π•’π•Ÿπ••π•”π•™π•šπ•π•• 𝕠𝕗 π•Šπ•’π•₯π•’π•Ÿ π•™π•šπ•žπ•€π•–π•π•—

γ€˜ they/them or it/its γ€™
hopeless sudoku conoisseur, historical ed teach enthusiast, relentless snake booper

Suggestion: Bring back CS contests

rabidcoyote

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me