Feedback Needed: Change to Oekaki Organisation

Need help with the site/forum/pets? Ask questions and get help from other members here.

Please tell us what you'd like for the oekaki organisation!

I like the way those boards are organised already and I don't want them to change.
11%
I don't like the way those boards are organised. I'd like a new category system!
24%
I like the suggestion to sort the art by the subject e.g. human, animal, landscapes...
56%
I would prefer the art to be sorted by some other method (please detail in comments)
5%
I have other suggestions for new oekaki boards (please detail in comments)
4%

Total votes : 557

Re: Feedback Needed: Change to Oekaki Organisation

Postby Winchester's Wolf » Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:34 am

Hi! Hello there! I personally like the boards just the way that they are, but the thing I don't like is how some drawings being put in one category that the artist had worked so hard on, only for it to be moved into Beginner's Oekaki. That has happened many times before with me, but I haven't really said anything about it. But it does hurt me a little bit as it is putting a label on where my art belongs.

But as for the new organizations, I believe it will still put labels on the drawings as the drawings might be moved into the wrong category. And for some of it, even though it's simple to understand, I believe someone will have a problem with where to put their content if it seems to belong in one or more of the categories. edit: I just saw the combo category. But it was just a thought that crossed my mind.

I might be wrong, but I thought I might at least say something I guess.
Winchester's Wolf

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby jasps » Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:57 am

Yes!! Totally agree and wish for this change. I think the criteria could be, what the main subject of the piece is; ie an anthro character w a background would still obsiously be anthro.

I'd suggest knocking out beginner and intermediate in favour of those categories and keeping sketches and experiments for solely that sort of work and advanced for people who'd like to submit HQ art, removing beginner and intermediate. If it doesn't fit the bar of advanced it can just go back into one of the new categories suggested.
That's just my thoughts of course, but I've definitely seen lots of people's feelings being hurt by the current system, even though I think it does provide a valuable perspective on how volunteer/professionals would class your art skill. (despite being subjective of course!)

─────────────
❝ he/him
my fiancée
find me on discord @ jasper#4992

─────────────
art cred <3
jasps

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Loxosceles » Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:40 am

Not sure how much this has been said already but, as much as I would LOVE the boards to be separated by subject matter, that's far too many categories. Why are animals and made up species two different boards? This is a really good and solid idea, but it needs to be cut down into fewer categories.
Glad you're getting rid of the skill level boards though!

Edit: I also think that fanart/fandom shouldn't be it's own board. Those works could easily fit into the other boards and it would just serve to be another section where one isn't needed.

Lox/Mr. Freeman - he/him
ImageI have an Art Shop, a Custom Shop, and an Art Gallery Forum!Image
I make pixel icons for C$ and pets!, check it out!
Toyhou.se
Loxosceles

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby angel23456 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:34 am

I personally like the Oekaki boards being organized by skill level, but I wouldn't mind the switch, though I think I would prefer if tags were added to the drawings, so maybe you could click on a tag and see all related artwork. I personally like being able to go to my own gallery and view all of my Advanced artwork instead of loping them all together, the good and the bad of my work.

The Oekaki boards already give a description of what belongs in them. For example, all art in Adavanced needs to be "the most advanced art with accurate anatomy, creative coloring, details like shading and backgrounds" so I think it is fair to move the art around to fit the criteria for the boards. (Some of mine have been moved as well)

I do like the suggested groups, though for the most part, if the change is made. I think combining all animals, for example, real or fantastical, would be much too large of a group if we're going to start grouping this way, and combing humans and animals would be even more so. I do think there should still be a category for sketches and experiments, though, and I think "Other" should encompass reference sheets and combo drawings.

(this all coming from an artist who fairly regularly posts in Advanced and mainly draws realistic animals, for reference)

Hardly related, but can it be made to where we can delete our own artwork if someone has commented on it? I have so many I want to remove but am unable to because people have already commented on them years ago.

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
angel23456

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Pear » Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:26 pm

I kinda wish there was a way to separate all of the oekaki adoptable species threads from the available to adopt artworks.
It's kinda a pain to try and find new adoptable species when there's so many colored-in adoptables clogging up that board x3
ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Pear

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Asha' Arts » Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:27 pm

i dont have anything in particular to mention, but something like how deviantart set things up is really nice and organized!
To do:
1-
2-
3-
4-
5-
6-
7-
8-
9-
10-
11-
12-
13-
14-
15-

Asha' Arts

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby liiontai » Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:57 pm

As someone who's been using the Oekaki for ages, I do like this idea! Though I have two suggestions:

Fantasy/Animal Art:
I feel like these will often be confused or mixed. Especially since a lot of artists will draw characters that are a mix of species (eg a dog with horns/extended tail/etc). I think a "Feral Art" for creatures that are mixes or real-animal adjacent, "Fantasy" for strictly fantasy creatures such as dragons, gryphons and such, and an "Anthro" for furry art.

Sketches and Experiments:
I think it would be a good idea to divide the new categories into finished pieces and sketches/experiments. So people can choose to view between quick doodles or more polished art.

Looking forward to whatever is decided on!
-
╔════════╗

[i-- DA -- insta --
lesbian [] she/they
CS help -- Art Shop
---------------------
PM me if you need
help with anything!
---------------------
i-ImageImage
---------------------
I like drawing + cartoons
[ --
FR code shop --
iiiixwas liontamer321
iiics artist discord

╚════════╝
liiontai

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby skylasha » Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:03 am

I really like the ideas! I think this is a much more effective organization plan and it'll be nice to remove the feeling of judgement for sure!

I hope you are safe and well, Tess!

Skylasha|Female Image
Hi, I'm Skylasha!
I love Marvel a lot! I’m also a furry. Mental health warrior.
Trying my best one day at a time.
I'm an artist! I take commissions and art trades
Avatar by Discordia ! Sig art by Shadowphoenixfox
Youtube
Art Shop
Toyhouse
DeviantArt

skylasha

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby MeltiTheDragon » Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:39 pm

Please, please, this would be an amazing change. I've actually told people before that they're far too good for beginners! :3 It also does help with the feelings of judgement that comes with 'skill' levels, even if said judgement has never been intentional.
Melti The Dragon
✚✚✚Autistic
✚✚✚Furry
✚✚✚Artist, Musician, Improv Comedian

If I've forgotten something, feel free to give me a little nudge!

Other Sites I'm On
{ Deviantart } ✚ { Furaffinity } ✚ { Toyhou.se }
{ Art Fight } ✚ { Refsheet } ✚ { Aywas }
Tracker Pages
{ Cascadeclan } ✚ { Sosna Gora } ✚ { Kingdom of Thorns }
{ Lucentclan } ✚ { Hlien Fuléao-anisth } ✚ { Sunset Bridge Business }

✚✚✚Formerly Known as Diamondshine101
    [C] - GreenGummies
MeltiTheDragon

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Michael's Fan. » Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:08 am

I love this idea. When I wasn't as good as I am at drawing and my posts would get moved from intermediate to beginners by mods it was really hurtful, because I felt I had reached that level of skill and the mods may think my art hadn't (which I indeed did.)

They move it based on opinion and I don't like that. It really degrades us as artists and makes us feel our art isn't worth it.

Also It'd be nice to have some bigger canvases or choose our own pixel resolution!
Last edited by Michael's Fan. on Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
< pfp & art by shalusky >

----------❝ howdy! ❞
-------------------------------
--My name is Michael's Fan.
--➢ Aries
--➢ I draw a lot!
--➢ feel free to pm me,
--might cure my boredom lol
--➢i use multiple commas
--lol,,,