Pound message needs changing (now with poll)

Need help with the site/forum/pets? Ask questions and get help from other members here.

Should the message change?

Keep the message how it is.
5%
Change it to something a bit less upsetting, but keep it a little bit sad.
16%
Change it to something neutral, like "hey, remember me? I'm a pound pet! It's ok if you wanna trade me though."
34%
Change it to literally just "this trade you made contains a pet you got from the pound, are you sure?"
25%
Get rid of the message entirely.
20%

Total votes : 398

Re: Pound message needs changing (now with poll)

Postby Shian » Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:51 am

Phoenixfirebird wrote:I agree that the message is a bit harsh. I think that the message was probably implemented in the first place to try to discourage people from just using the pound as a source for trading fodder, and instead as a place to get pets users genuinely wanted, but they should make that clear on the pound page.

There was a message on the pound page like that when it first opened. In one of the numerous updates to the pound over the years, that message was removed but not the PMs you got from the pets.
ImageImage
Come buy old rare pets in bulk for gems!
Shian

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby clues » Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:09 am

thank you for bringing this up !!
anxiety already causes me to have a lot of troubles trading in general as i grow attachment to literally anything i have, real life or digital, and the pm absolutely wrecks me. im pretty sure the first time i received it was when i was gifting someone, and i didn't see the message until after they already accepted it. i felt so much regret and sadness and i had to force myself to return to the mindset that trading away the pet made someone else happy.
like some people are saying, maybe a reminder that you're trading away a pound pet will suffice, but personally im definitely opposed to the wording and euthanasia reference. it makes people feel terrible.
no offense to the staff who came up with the message! i can understand the point, but its a bit harsh and scary, especially for younger kids (as mentioned) xx
x

hi, i'm lexi! / any prns
      ► the rose-set road will bend around
      the earth you knew is waiting for you, dear

trd me! credit
clues

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby *space* » Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:12 am

Does anyone else wonder why only pound pets give you this message? Because while we're on the topic, adopted pets are just as much pets as pound pets are. I just thought I'd bring this up while we're on this message topic
──-───────────
she/her ☆ Aquarius ☆
pm me

───────────-──
███░████████ █

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
███░██████████████████████████ █
──-─────────────────────────────

*¨¨*•.¸.•*¨¨*•..•*¨¨*•.¸.•*¨¨*
─────────────────────────────-──
███░██████████████████████████ █
███░█████████████ █
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
──-───────────────
my auction server time
signature credit

───────────────-──
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
███░█████████████ █
.•*¨¨*•.¸.•*¨¨*•.
███░█████████████ █
*space*

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby DrinaLestrange » Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:21 am

*dogs&stuff* wrote:Does anyone else wonder why only pound pets give you this message? Because while we're on the topic, adopted pets are just as much pets as pound pets are. I just thought I'd bring this up while we're on this message topic

Because the pound is not meant to be a free pets to trade thing. It was created for people to get pets they wanted but could no longer adopt.
I'm happy to announce that I am the mommy of a little girl named Chloe! Born June 2nd 2015!
Anastasia born April 23 2019!
Monroe born September 28 2023!
My birthday is Feb 9th!
DrinaLestrange

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Lostfairy » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:37 am

I personally found it super harsh and weird when I read it the first time. I was literally like, “Wait... what’s so bad about trading a pound pet?!” Because honestly, I was the one who put it in a trade to begin with???

Now I just ignore it and delete it. *shrugs* I forgot they said the putting to sleep part which is pretty harsh. But to be completely honest, I’m okay with keeping it the same. *shrugs* makes the game more realistic to me!
Lostfairy

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ja984 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:43 am

Lostfairy wrote:Now I just ignore it and delete it. *shrugs* I forgot they said the putting to sleep part which is pretty harsh. But to be completely honest, I’m okay with keeping it the same. *shrugs* makes the game more realistic to me!

I agree with this Lost!
✞ I believe in Jesus Christ my Savior, and I am not afraid to admit it.
I asked Jesus, "How much do you love me?" Jesus replied, "This much." He stretched his arms on the arms on the cross and died. ✞

Ja984

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby bark » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:46 am

Support, those who just joined and really don't know how to turn those messages off can really be scarred, to where they might leave the site.

Even I, an adult; get very sick to my stomach and uncomfortable. This is coming from someone who's seen so much worse in my life. I know these kinds of things happen in real life (and it shouldn't) but I feel it shouldn't be on a kid's site. Animal abuse and mentions of it aren't allowed at all on the site, yet messages like these imply neglect, and the pound being an abusive environment.

I know it's a pixel pet site, but there are KIDS that will take it seriously and get scarred. I may understand realistic, but we play game sites to just drift away from the world and reality right?

Again, I highly support toning these sad messages down. I'm not exaggerating here, I'm just trying to explain why it might feel uncomfortable for everyone and why it might not be suitable for a kids site anymore ;W; sometimes, scaring and making others uncomfortable isn't the best way to get a message across when it comes to persuasion.
bark

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby W0LF » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:50 am

Betta132 wrote:
Awwwww, I'll never forget that day when you adopted me from the pound :( . They were going to put me to sleep because nobody wanted me, but then you came and stroked me softly through the bars of my cage and took me home with you. And now you're sending me away and I won't be able to be with you any more :(. I hope my new owner will be as kind as you were to me.

View the trade that is sending me away! I don't wanna go!

What kind of nastiness is this implying the pound is? It's kind of messed up that this implies the pets (which evidently can talk and are therefore sapient) are going to be killed if they spend too long in the pound. And that the pets (again, sapient) are in cages.

How about something like

"Do you remember when you adopted me from the pound? You saw me through the crowd, and you wanted me! I was so excited! So I' m a bit confused now why you're sending me away. Do you not want me any more?"

instead? A bit less upsetting, especially for younger players.

EDIT:
To be clear, I see why the message exists. I just don't think it should be this sad, and it definitely shouldn't imply that the pound, which is where these pets that can talk go, will eventually kill them and has them in cages the whole time. Nobody needs that mental image.

The first trade I ever sent with a pound pet in it (I was new)
I read this message & immediately canceled the trade, left very confused about
the trading system here on CS.
I did find it a bit upsetting / confusing
(& I'm not young).

Although, once someone explained to me,
that nothing immediately terrible would happen by trading these pets...

I see the point that in real life, you don't just take a pet into your home
to trade it away as simply as a stamp or baseball card. D:
...In that way, I suppose it's a good message
(Especially for younger players).

So, I guess "I'm on the fence" about the pound message.
Last edited by W0LF on Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

W0LF

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby DreamShine » Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:37 am

It’s very much a guilt trip and I hate how sad it makes me feel. It’s hard to trade those pets without making me feel sad. I agree it should change, and maybe keep it a little sad but not this sad. It’s almost morbid 😳
DreamShine

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby AnimalAtHeart » Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:30 am

100%agree, it NEEDS changing,
not very active anymore...
Gryph/Cricket/Ammie | they/them
you can pm me, but it may take me a while to get back to you
toyhouse | tumblr | artfight
AnimalAtHeart

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes