Pound message needs changing (now with poll)

Need help with the site/forum/pets? Ask questions and get help from other members here.

Should the message change?

Keep the message how it is.
5%
Change it to something a bit less upsetting, but keep it a little bit sad.
16%
Change it to something neutral, like "hey, remember me? I'm a pound pet! It's ok if you wanna trade me though."
34%
Change it to literally just "this trade you made contains a pet you got from the pound, are you sure?"
25%
Get rid of the message entirely.
20%

Total votes : 398

Pound message needs changing (now with poll)

Postby Betta132 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:04 pm

Awwwww, I'll never forget that day when you adopted me from the pound :( . They were going to put me to sleep because nobody wanted me, but then you came and stroked me softly through the bars of my cage and took me home with you. And now you're sending me away and I won't be able to be with you any more :(. I hope my new owner will be as kind as you were to me.

View the trade that is sending me away! I don't wanna go!

What kind of nastiness is this implying the pound is? It's kind of messed up that this implies the pets (which evidently can talk and are therefore sapient) are going to be killed if they spend too long in the pound. And that the pets (again, sapient) are in cages.

How about something like

"Do you remember when you adopted me from the pound? You saw me through the crowd, and you wanted me! I was so excited! So I' m a bit confused now why you're sending me away. Do you not want me any more?"

instead? A bit less upsetting, especially for younger players.

EDIT:
To be clear, I see why the message exists. I just don't think it should be this sad, and it definitely shouldn't imply that the pound, which is where these pets that can talk go, will eventually kill them and has them in cages the whole time. Nobody needs that mental image.

OTHER EDIT:
You can block the messages by doing the below. I just don't think the message should be upsetting enough to warrant blocking it because of its content.
axelandria wrote:
    I agree with this, but there is also a way to disable the message.

if you go into your messages > Rules, folders & settings > add new rule
    make the rule "if sender is [insert your username] delete message". it will still show that you got a new message, but when you go to see it, it will say "one private message has been removed due to private message filters". it helps me so I don't have to see the sad and heartwrenching message, but I still know it's there.
Last edited by Betta132 on Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:52 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Betta132

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Pound message needs changing

Postby dragonmaster11 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:05 pm

Betta132 wrote:
Awwwww, I'll never forget that day when you adopted me from the pound :( . They were going to put me to sleep because nobody wanted me, but then you came and stroked me softly through the bars of my cage and took me home with you. And now you're sending me away and I won't be able to be with you any more :(. I hope my new owner will be as kind as you were to me.

View the trade that is sending me away! I don't wanna go!

What kind of nastiness is this implying the pound is? It's kind of messed up that this implies the pets (which evidently can talk and are therefore sapient) are going to be killed if they spend too long in the pound. And that the pets (again, sapient) are in cages.

How about something like

"Do you remember when you adopted me from the pound? You saw me through the crowd, and you wanted me! I was so excited! So I' m a bit confused now why you're sending me away. Do you not want me any more?"

instead? A bit less upsetting, especially for younger players.

I find it upsetting and I'm an adult player! I agree, definitely needs changing
BLACK LIVES MATTER.

lukey • he/they • furry • adult • no fixed abode traveller (UK) • funghi forager and enthusiast

—> 💜my trading thread!!💜 <—

ImageImageImage

pic in avatar drawn by defresh!
dragonmaster11

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Bellarocks123a » Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:07 pm

I agree. Honestly this message really messed me up when I had first started playing. Now it's just annoying tbh. Changing it could be at least a nice change, since us older users won't see the same thing that it's been since I believe the start

Also kinda off topic but I find it funny how the pound page says it opens 4-8 times a week or something like that. I've never seen it be only 4 times, and there's plenty of weeks I've seen it open at the very least 8 times, sometimes 3 times a day

Hello :)

I have a 23 page WL. Trade with me here

I am a holibomber!
I have gifted 21 people.
I have received 8 gifts.
I have nuked 46 people.
I have received 12 nukes.
Bellarocks123a

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Lady Stacia » Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:08 pm

I never realized this, Always just scanned over it, this is pretty sad
.・。.・゜✭・.・✫・゜・。..・。.・゜✭・.・✫・゜・。..・。.・゜✭・.・✫・゜・。.

»»————— ♡ —————-««
˜”*°•.˜”*°• Sagittarius ➾ Adult ➾ Bisexual •°*”˜.•°*”˜
Adoption ThreadMy Card
»»————- ♡ ————-««
Lady Stacia

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby CreativeCougar » Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:10 pm

i agree. every time i send a trade and then that message pops up in my inbox i get really sad. i know it's just pixels, but i really love animals so in my head it's like i'm hurting a real animal. i feel bad about something as simple as making a trade, and i think it would be nice if it was like the example posted above or maybe even something nicer like:

"I remember the day you adopted me from the pound, and you've been a wonderful owner! I'm sad leave you but I know my new owner will treat me nicely as well! I just wanted to make sure you're sure about this trade :)"

I think this is especially important to COPPA players but it even important to me, and I'm not a COPPA player.
CreativeCougar

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Avrap » Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:10 pm

There should be an option to disable the message from coming, so it doesn't spam your inbox.
Avrap

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby CreativeCougar » Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:11 pm

I agree with the above message so much!!! but also maybe there could be different options
CreativeCougar

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Killawolf17 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:13 pm

BIG agree. It's definitely upsetting to see.
Killawolf17

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Betta132 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:22 pm

There is a way to block messages from the pound, I think, but the message needs changing regardless. It's just a punch in the gut the first couple of times you read it. This is supposed to be a fun site, we don't need any guilt anywhere. A gentle reminder that this is a pound pet and maybe you should keep it is fine, but this... this is too much.
Betta132

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby CreativeCougar » Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:25 pm

some suggestions:
-flat out no messages at all
-super simple message like "hi! i remember when you adopted me from the pound, and i thank you for that. are you sure you'd like to follow through with this trade?"
-a lil bit more emotional: "I remember when you adopted me when I was alone in the pound. I'm gonna miss you, are you sure about sending me away?"
then you could always just keep the emotionally devastating original....ooopsies i just get sad about animals easily
CreativeCougar

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me