Suggestion: Stricter Rules for Bumping Trade Threads

The board to ask questions, report problems, or post suggestions about the site, forum, or pets.

How long do you think a bumping limit should be?

No limit
3%
5 minutes
25%
10 minutes
25%
15 minutes
18%
30 minutes
8%
1 hour (60 minutes)
8%
More than 1 hour
2%
I don't know but I like polls
10%

Total votes : 60

Re: Suggestion: Stricter Rules for Bumping Trade Threads

Postby Bilaz » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:01 pm

I think this is a great idea and could be nothing but beneficial to the trading community. Other extremely active trading forums have similar rules and it works fine (for example the Bell Tree has bumping rules of every four hours).

The way I see it is that it would really help those who don't have much time, they could BUMP and come back later and check on their trades. It would also help those searching for trading partners, currently the trade board is pretty much a race between the most active posters and those are the only ones on the front page.
Once you've checked all those for pets on your wishlist you are pretty much stuck. With a more slowely moving trade forum there would be new posters showing up at the top every time and every BUMP would have a 'chance' as it were.

As for people who want trades accepted 'right now' to be honest I think they'd be better off tradingn active posters or 'currently online' anyway, I don't think BUMP rules would change a thing. :)
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello, I'm Sasha.
I really love Eurovision.
Sergey Lazarev & Dima
Bilan are my favourites.
I'm a fan of all Star Trek
series and I'm working
on an original story.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

─────⦏ 𝐀𝐍𝐃 ⦐─────
𝓵𝓲𝓰𝓱𝓽𝓷𝓲𝓷𝓰! 𝓵𝓲𝓰𝓱𝓽𝓷𝓲𝓷𝓰!
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
credit
The Eurovision club
Trade with me
Need someone to talk to?
Feel free to PM me!
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
───⦏ 𝐆𝐄𝐓𝐓𝐈𝐍𝐆 ⦐───────
𝒆𝔁𝓬𝓲𝓽𝓲𝓷𝓰! 𝒆𝔁𝓬𝓲𝓽𝓲𝓷𝓰! 𝒆𝔁𝓬𝓲𝓽𝓲𝓷𝓰!
Bilaz

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Trenzalore » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:24 pm

Hours is too long. I agree with Seasonal's idea, but even then it's harder. During busy hours that would still be 4 minutes of being on the 3rd, 4th, 5th, etc page of trading because of how busy it is. Plus people can just ask any who visit the trade thread to bump or comment for them, so more popular trade threads/users would have an advantage. Also, Pokefarm is nowhere near as busy as CS. It's not the same at all. Also, it is much easier to get the characters you need to complete your pokedex than it is to get the pets you need to complete your archive on CS. On Pokefarm, their equivalent of the "pound" is open 24/7 and you can adopt up to 36 a day from there (edit: some days that number is multiplied by two, and "Hypermode" users can adopt more than 36 a day in the first place). CS is much slower, you adopt less from the pound, there are always new pets popping up, etc that makes constant trading necessary to have an up to date collection.
Last edited by Trenzalore on Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Support my bf's youtube channel? Dark Siders 2 gameplay ~ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z62So-113WE&t=2s
111 pgs of wishlist to go (I edited my wishlist so I can only see rares in the pound. Will change it back soon)~
Lovingly Pro Choice
Really cool Taxidermy thread on CS, check it out http://www.chickensmoothie.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=385397
Click please ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Trenzalore

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Birb » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:28 am

Trenzalore wrote:Hours is too long. I agree with Seasonal's idea, but even then it's harder. During busy hours that would still be 4 minutes of being on the 3rd, 4th, 5th, etc page of trading because of how busy it is.

The point of this suggestion is that because there would be less people bumping constantly, the trade forum would move slower, hence it would take a longer time to fall back and threads would spend a longer time on the front page in the first place.

Plus people can just ask any who visit the trade thread to bump or comment for them, so more popular trade threads/users would have an advantage.

An easy solution to that would be to make a rule stating that you cannot have other people bump for you.
Birb

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Lennie » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:10 am

Even if the overall forum moved at a slower pace, you have to account for the sheer number of people who technically can bump within that hours range. If enough people bumped within five minutes of each other, you would be stuck off of the first page for hours within the first few minutes. In the end, it would just come down to luck and unpredictable timing to stay on the front page.

As for the idea of having a rule preventing people from bumping for you, that would be hard to enforce. For example, if someone were to post a question on someone's thread, moving them up on the first page, would that count as bumping or just them posting? It would just make for a lot more work on the part of the moderators to keep that in line.
trades: open
auctions: closed
pms: open

Image-----------------Image
Lennie

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Trenzalore » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:10 pm

Lennie wrote:
    Even if the overall forum moved at a slower pace, you have to account for the sheer number of people who technically can bump within that hours range. If enough people bumped within five minutes of each other, you would be stuck off of the first page for hours within the first few minutes. In the end, it would just come down to luck and unpredictable timing to stay on the front page.

As for the idea of having a rule preventing people from bumping for you, that would be hard to enforce. For example, if someone were to post a question on someone's thread, moving them up on the first page, would that count as bumping or just them posting? It would just make for a lot more work on the part of the moderators to keep that in line.

All of this. Exactly.
Support my bf's youtube channel? Dark Siders 2 gameplay ~ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z62So-113WE&t=2s
111 pgs of wishlist to go (I edited my wishlist so I can only see rares in the pound. Will change it back soon)~
Lovingly Pro Choice
Really cool Taxidermy thread on CS, check it out http://www.chickensmoothie.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=385397
Trenzalore

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Birb » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:17 pm

Lennie wrote:Even if the overall forum moved at a slower pace, you have to account for the sheer number of people who technically can bump within that hours range. If enough people bumped within five minutes of each other, you would be stuck off of the first page for hours within the first few minutes. In the end, it would just come down to luck and unpredictable timing to stay on the front page.

How is that any worse than what we have now, though? For people who don't have the time or energy to bump every few minutes, that is already the case, and this is a potential solution because it gives everyone an equal chance to be seen.

The current system where people have the ability to bump as often as possible requires a lot of work for moderators... surely more than it would for the frankly quite unlikely scenario of someone paying others to bump for them. I rarely if ever see anyone posting questions on other people's trade threads, it is very easy to just PM them instead, so it wouldn't be hard to just make a rule that you cannot post on others' threads period. In fact, that could probably be managed with an automated system as well.

[Edit: fixed typos and clarified phrasing in my second part response.]
Birb

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Coalchaser » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:02 pm

Seasonal wrote:I would support an automated system that did not let a user make a second post in the CS Trades board until x minutes (maybe 5?) have passed. However, I feel that hours is a bit too long.

I really like the idea of it being automated. I think a set time of 15 minutes or so would be reasonable.
On hiatus until May 9. Please send in a help ticket if you need assistance.
DeviantArt :: tumblr :: FR :: Art Shop :: Help Tickets
Signature art by Tealea C:
Coalchaser
Global Moderator

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Zacharie » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:15 pm

i definitely support this! i'm not as active as i'd like to be so being able to have my trade thread on the front page for a longer time so i could come back later and check trades would be a godsend - as would being able to easier search for trading partners, since with such a system in place it'd make it easier to find new people to trade with.
    i also agree with seasonal and coalchaser, and i feel a limit of 10 - 20 minutes or so is absolutely long enough as opposed to hours. i feel hours would put the trading forum at a total standstill which is also not desired when you're trying to find new people to trade with ^^ but a few minutes is reasonable and i don't see it doing any harm!

..P U R I F I C A T I O N

╔══════════════════╗
trade thread
rares list
OFF fanclub
---
was the batter.

xxxFRxxx©xxx
╚══════════════════╝
Zacharie

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Birb » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:25 pm

Thank you both for your input!
Birb

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Trenzalore » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:39 pm

Birb wrote:
    How is that any worse than what we have now, though? For people who don't have the time or energy to bump every few minutes, that is already the case, and this is a potential solution because it gives everyone an equal chance to be seen.

Why not leave it the way it is then? The point of the constant bumping is so potential trade partners know that you are active. Not everyone wants to have the "visibly online" option, for privacy reasons for one; bumping the thread shows that you are active right now. No one wants to have to guess whether the response time will be quick or last days. I would rather just nix trading someone at all if they go offline and don't respond for days than having it clog my trading center - I want a partner who I know is online.

Birb wrote:
    The current system where people have the ability to bump as often as possible requires a lot of work for moderators... surely more than it would for the frankly quite unlikely scenario of someone paying others to bump for them. I rarely if ever see anyone posting questions on other people's trade threads, it is very easy to just PM them instead, so it wouldn't be hard to just make a rule that you cannot post on others' threads period. In fact, that could probably be managed with an automated system as well.

So what, players aren't allowed to post on others' trade threads at all? I would rather not be restricted in that way at all, not everyone is responsive to PMs, and a second way to ping someone is to post on their thread since a lot of us with trading threads have it bookmarked so we can see who was the last person to post there as well as quick access.
Lovingly Pro Choice
Trenzalore

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me