Suggestion: Stricter Rules for Bumping Trade Threads

The board to ask questions, report problems, or post suggestions about the site, forum, or pets.

How long do you think a bumping limit should be?

No limit
3%
5 minutes
25%
10 minutes
25%
15 minutes
18%
30 minutes
8%
1 hour (60 minutes)
8%
More than 1 hour
2%
I don't know but I like polls
10%

Total votes : 60

Suggestion: Stricter Rules for Bumping Trade Threads

Postby Birb » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:58 am

Currently the rule for bumping trade threads is "whenever it falls off the first page of the board". However, in my opinion this is no longer efficient. As the site has grown, there are thousands and thousands more people trying to get their threads seen, so threads can fall off the front page in mere minutes, even seconds depending on how busy a time the site is at. This means that to get their threads seen, people have to bump near-constantly, and the users who are online all day and have the time to post very frequently gain an advantage over users who can only log in or post a couple times a day.

My suggestion? Implement a solid time limit for bumping. Only allow bumps every x hours [ETA] 10 minutes or 15 minutes. I believe this would keep down the constant overflow, and it would be easier to enforce as well due to having timestamps to prove rulebreaking. This system seems to have worked quite well for staff-run threads such as the event swap threads (reposts allowed once per 1 hour) and the item trade thread/rares list swap thread (reposts allowed once per 24 hours).

Thoughts?

Notable input from others:

Seasonal wrote:I would support an automated system that did not let a user make a second post in the CS Trades board until x minutes (maybe 5?) have passed. However, I feel that hours is a bit too long.

The Fire Rose wrote:This idea is great, but I agree with the five (or longer if necessary) minute thing that Seasonal brought up. I've been seeing multiple user spam their threads very often lately, and it usually seems like the moderators are trying to tackle other (and likely bigger) issues. This idea really does have good potential though, and the automated system would give the mods a little bit more time to deal with other and probably bigger things instead of simple thread spammers.

Coalchaser wrote:I really like the idea of it being automated. I think a set time of 15 minutes or so would be reasonable.

Last edited by Birb on Mon May 07, 2018 8:59 am, edited 7 times in total.
Birb

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Suggestion: Stricter Rules for Bumping Trade Threads

Postby LilGinge'♥ » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:04 am

I kind of disagree with this for a couple of reasons:
1: Some players only can log on for an hour or less a day, so it's better for those to have a full hour of trading rather than being hopeful they can get a couple of trades over the 24 hour time limit
2: I know some people are very impatient when trading (I've known people cancel in like ten minutes) so you would miss out on lots of trades if you weren't online when they were sent
3: It would make moderators lives more difficult trying to keep up with when everyone's bumped their posts, also there could be confusion if someone's talking on their thread would this be counted in the bump?

I agree for the point it gives people more of a chance to see other threads but if people are desperate they can just go to the individual forums (i use those mostly when looking for trades)
hey
hey

Hey there!
I'm currently on the lookout for:

*Pink Heart Advent, Grey Border Collie Advent
I will give any 9 '09 rares

*Pink cake dog
I will give 36 '09 rares! each
Or one of the cake dogs I have for trade

*Red Rose PPS
I will give any 2 cake dogs

I no longer offsite trade
May trade for FR only

I now play Dappervolk
Username Dryadalis #16602
LilGinge'♥

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Birb » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:07 am

LilGinge'♥ wrote:I kind of disagree with this for a couple of reasons:
1: Some players only can log on for an hour or less a day, so it's better for those to have a full hour of trading rather than being hopeful they can get a couple of trades over the 24 hour time limit
2: I know some people are very impatient when trading (I've known people cancel in like ten minutes) so you would miss out on lots of trades if you weren't online when they were sent
3: It would make moderators lives more difficult trying to keep up with when everyone's bumped their posts, also there could be confusion if someone's talking on their thread would this be counted in the bump?

I agree for the point it gives people more of a chance to see other threads but if people are desperate they can just go to the individual forums (i use those mostly when looking for trades)

1. The point is that there wouldn't be so much overflow so they wouldn't need to bump so often. The trade forum would move slower, so people's bumps would stay on the front page (and thus easily visible) for a longer time.

2. I... don't see how that relates to this at all?

3. Moderators rarely go searching through random people's threads to check how often they're bumping, unless they are clearly spamming an incredible amount. The majority of rulebreakers are found as the result of the report system. So it would be the same as it is now, just easier to prove.
Birb

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby fernmoon » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:09 am

i like what your saying, but i don't say six hours or hours in general would be a good way to control bumping for trading. if i remember correctly then that bumping rule applies to everything on the site. so it may change for everything else on the site, not just trading. this could easily confuse people on what hour they are on until being able to bump up their thread, if they do hours, and that the new bumping rule only applies to trading, if they go that route. if the bumping rule changes for the whole site then it would be a long wait to get stuff on the first page in slower forums.

in my opinion, trading should wait until it falls off the second or third page as the trading thread can move pretty quickly at times. it would be a little longer wait but may let different trade threads stay on the first page longer and not for something that feels a minute or two.
fernmoon

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Birb » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:51 pm

I don't really understand how having a "only bump after x hours" rule could confuse people. If anything, I've already seen more people becoming confused about the current rules because they think "off the front page" means the front page of the site home rather than the forum board. Meanwhile a set time limit is easy for just about everyone to understand.

Which reminds me of another example of why this could work: similar rules are already in place for most communal swap threads. The rares list swap thread and seeking items thread both specify to only post every 24 hours, and most event swap threads that I can remember specify to post every 1 hour. Those have worked out fine for the most part, apart from some occasional rulebreakers who get cleaned up quickly.
Birb

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Seasonal » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:18 pm

I would support an automated system that did not let a user make a second post in the CS Trades board until x minutes (maybe 5?) have passed. However, I feel that hours is a bit too long.

[about me] - [characters] - [trades]

if i cut the strings that held me hostage
would i fall and shatter?
Seasonal
Global Moderator

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Birb » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:22 am

Seasonal wrote:I would support an automated system that did not let a user make a second post in the CS Trades board until x minutes (maybe 5?) have passed. However, I feel that hours is a bit too long.

Oh, I didn't even realize an automated system was possible! I would support that for sure.

Come to think of it, one benefit to an automated system is that it can be adjusted as needed, right? So if 5 minutes ends up not helping, it could be bumped up to 10 minutes, for example. Whereas if a written rule didn't work out, then it could get confusing for many users to play "trial and error".
Birb

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby smofir. » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:07 pm

An automated system would be very helpful! Whatever time amount is necessary.
┌────────────────────
── YOU
HAVExxxHAVE
MUCHxxxMUCH
LIGHT

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
GROWxTOWARDxYOU
───────────────────────────
hello! it is great to meet you. i hope th
at you're having a wonderful day. rem
ember to surround yourself with peop
le who help you branch out to be the b
eautiful tree you are. you're enough.
woops, back to me then?? haha. i am
a young adult in canada just chilling..
───────────────────────────
smofir.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby The Fire Rose » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:12 pm

This idea is great, but I agree with the five (or longer if necessary) minute thing that Seasonal brought up. I've been seeing multiple user spam their threads very often lately, and it usually seems like the moderators are trying to tackle other (and likely bigger) issues. This idea really does have good potential though, and the automated system would give the mods a little bit more time to deal with other and probably bigger things instead of simple thread spammers.
The Fire Rose

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Birb » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:19 pm

Thank you both for the input! I updated the first post with a couple quotes since I believe input from all of you has made the suggestion better, considering I never even knew an automated system was possible until you brought it up. :)
Birb

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me