Gallery Subscription Suggestion

Suggest new features or changes to Chicken Smoothie.

Do you support?

I support!
93%
No support.
7%

Total votes : 69

Gallery Subscription Suggestion

Postby Bettalong » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:24 am

I have a very simple idea - Maybe not so simple to code though. I have no idea if this has been suggested before but, here it goes~

Some people love having 'art stalkers'. I'm pretty sure it'd be easier for people to 'stalk' other's art pieces through a new type of system!
(I have tried to use my noobish HTML skills for some of the pictures I have created below. I will explain them and hopefully, you will agree with my idea.)

1) So starting from here, right next to the 'View bookmarks' would be a 'watched galleries'. When we receive new trades, we immediately see the '(1 new)'. When someone posts a new picture (and you have to be subscribed to their gallery), you get the notification of 'Watched galleries (1 new)'.

2) When we click this 'Watched Galleries', we are redirected to a new page. This page displays all of the galleries you are subscribed to. When someone has posted a new picture to the gallery, you will see (1 new) next to the '(username's) gallery'.
3) Upon clicking the user's gallery, you will be redirected to their gallery page and you will see a red bold 'NEW' by the new picture that has been created. On the top, next to the (Username's) Gallery, there is a subscribe/unsubscribe button.

4) However, when you go to your own gallery, you are able to disable people from subscribing to your gallery.

5) At the bottom of your gallery, ONLY you are allowed to see who has subscribed to your gallery.

6) As some people are saying, "Viewing the amount of subcribers you have will create popularity contests" or "People will boast about it". However, that could be prevented.
Sno Leopard wrote:You could solve the popularity contest thing by implementing a rule about not saying how many subscribers you have, couldn't you?
It seems only logical that this idea could prevent "boasting" and "popularity contests" between people about their subscribers.
(Credit to Sno Leopard for the idea. c; )

I hope this makes sense to everyone. X3
Oh, and... If you do NOT support, please state why. Use valid points to explain why you don't.
Now, if you DO support, thank ye. =3

If the pictures I have posted don't show up, I'll eat my couch >:U
Just let me know if they don't show up and I'll give you the link to them~ =3
Last edited by Bettalong on Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Contact me anywhere below if you need to reach out!
this site gives me anxiety to no end (tm) leaving after everything owed is done which i hopE IS SOON yikes

TH- bettalong
DA- bettalong
Bettalong

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Gallery Subscription Suggestion

Postby Hyensa » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:25 am

This is an interesting idea, actually.

Nice work on making it detailed.
Hyensa

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby tawnypelt3 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:32 am

Exactly my thoughts, Hyensa. Well thought out, well presented, and actually a very good idea. It could be tweaked here and there depending on how the coding would be done, but overall I can see this possibly making it onto the big To-Do List.
I was hacked. Not going to remake all my groups and such unless I feel like it. That's a lotta work. Don't bother with trades, everything's a mess.

Need: Image
Will offer reasonable overpay.
Note to self:
Reduce idiot level.
tawnypelt3

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Bettalong » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:13 pm

Hyensa wrote:
    This is an interesting idea, actually.

Nice work on making it detailed.

tawnypelt3 wrote:Exactly my thoughts, Hyensa. Well thought out, well presented, and actually a very good idea. It could be tweaked here and there depending on how the coding would be done, but overall I can see this possibly making it onto the big To-Do List.

Thank you~ The idea came to my mind when I randomly clicked on one of those typical 'Stalkers?' pictures.
And about the tweaks that could possibly be done if this is added, I believe that is something that will definitely be done. =)

Anybody else have opinions on this?
Contact me anywhere below if you need to reach out!
this site gives me anxiety to no end (tm) leaving after everything owed is done which i hopE IS SOON yikes

TH- bettalong
DA- bettalong
Bettalong

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Resin » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:16 pm

This is actually a fantastic idea. I've found a few artists with work that I really enjoy, but I always forget to check back and see if they have anything new. This would be a lovely way to keep track of those artists.
Resin

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby *JACKAL* » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:35 pm

Love it! Support!

█ ▌
█ ▌
█ ▌
█ ▌
█ ▌
█ ▌
█ ▌
█ ▌
█ ▌
█ ▌
█ ▌
█ ▌

▌█
▌█
▌█
▌█
▌█
▌█
▌█
▌█

Image..Image..Image..Image..Image..Image..Image..Image
*JACKAL*

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby tawnypelt3 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:38 pm

I had an inkling that this might have been suggested before, and it has. This appears to be the thread with the most feedback and whatnot, both positive and negative.

You can read it for yourself to see the yeas and nays, but I think the biggest argument for this suggestion is that people's individual oekaki works are already able to be subscribed to, so I don't see why a user's gallery shouldn't have a subscribe option, as well. Even if it was the most basic function like we already have for individual oekaki works, it would still be good enough.

The thread I linked to makes the argument of popularity contests. That's easy to fix; just don't have a listed number of subscribers.

I personally really like the idea of a notification of new oekaki works from someone you're subscribed to being placed on the notification bar with trades and PMs or wherever else thereabouts, but having an email sent to you telling you who has posted new oekaki would be the most basic option. It only makes sense to me that we be able to subscribe to people's galleries, even if only in the simplest of ways using email notifications.
I was hacked. Not going to remake all my groups and such unless I feel like it. That's a lotta work. Don't bother with trades, everything's a mess.

Need: Image
Will offer reasonable overpay.
Note to self:
Reduce idiot level.
tawnypelt3

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Keero » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:50 pm

I definitely support this.
    Bettalong did a fantastic job considering all aspects of this idea, and I believe there would be no issues if these suggestions could be implemented. The button that allows users not have their art subscribed would really clear things up for those who are not in support of this idea, or again, just want to keep their vent works unnoticed. I would love to see this suggestion become a reality. c:
    allergic to my own existence
    why am i still here?
    ┐(’~`;)┌

KEYO
    ═════
    ⬝ pre-vet neuroscience
    & exotic vet tech

Discord: keyode
Keero

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Porcelaine » Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:19 pm

I really like the idea of this, and love how you presented it. If this is possible to code, you have my support^^.
[list]Adopt a Newbie - Newbie Guide & Index - Need Help? -Get to know me - Characters

Hi there lovie, I'm Porcelaine
I'm always open to friendly folk, feel free to send me a hello!

The Adopt a Newbie program is constantly looking for volunteers to apply to help guide a new member!

I'm not as active as other members, my replies may take a while. Thank you for your patience!

Kindness is no virtue, but a common duty.
Porcelaine

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby DaDwarf » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:35 pm

I actually don't really support this. People will just subscribe to popular artists with popular species so that they quickly can see when a new adoptable is posted.

I find CS to not be that much about oekaki and i can think about several other features i'd like to see implemented before something like this comes along xD (Locking desperate items/item groups/maps for bookmarks etc.etc.)

You can follow people by simply added them to your friend list and checking manually, it's not that time-consuming C: Most artists on CS have deviantart so you could also make an account there and follow them on deviantart.

It's a nice suggestion, but not for me c:
DaDwarf

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me