Suggestion - a slight change to rarity bars

Suggest new features or changes to Chicken Smoothie.

Re: Suggestion - a slight change to rarity bars

Postby nickjr » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:22 pm

Pyromaniacal wrote:
    Look. Look, look, look at this. It's easily distinguishable, muted enough to be easy on the eyes, and the change took me literally 10 seconds in an image-editing program. There is no reason this shouldn't be implemented. All the confusion over the rarity bar pups only further demonstrates how much these bars really need to change.

ImageImageImage

I love it!

At this point I'd take almost any change OTL I also like perseoona's edits:

and Raire's edit, although this particular cyan is a bit bright for me, but oh well:
Spread the word to end the word, because discrimination based on perceived or actual IQ/"intelligence" is no better than discrimination based on race, gender, etc.

Context, consistency, and clear antecedents are golden.
I neither read nor speak between the lines. But I will analyze your language.

Often on phone |||| Timezone: EDT/EST (CS Time -4/-5) |||| Very turbulent life IRL
Intentionally turned off signatures; PMs off June 2013 - June 2020, may turn off again later
Banner by Moonflight Image It's been over 10 years since my request, and I still love it. Thank you so much!

Character in avatar is from CS's 2015 Sucrose City summer event. Border made by me in MS Paint, Windows 8.1 xD
nickjr

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Coalchaser » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:25 pm

Personally I'd like something right in between Raire's and Pyromaniacal's, but now I'm just getting nitpicky. cx

deviantart
tumblr
FR
twitter
help tickets
Coalchaser

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ElementalInsanity » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:28 pm

Pyromaniacal wrote:
Pyromaniacal wrote:
    Look. Look, look, look at this. It's easily distinguishable, muted enough to be easy on the eyes, and the change took me literally 10 seconds in an image-editing program. There is no reason this shouldn't be implemented. All the confusion over the rarity bar pups only further demonstrates how much these bars really need to change.

I'm just gonna put these side by side so people can see the comparison.

ImageImageImageImage
Honestly, I still feel it's not enough of a change. They're more different, but ti just still isn't enough. it's all on the same blue green spectrum, whereas everything else is largely varied. I mean we have yellow, to orange, to red, to purple. All very big shifts.

@nickjr personally I feel perseoona's edits are not enough of a change either, they're still too similar. This is why I'm more in support of Raire's version, albeit a bit more toned down so it's not so bright and shocking to the eyes. The cyan is just a larger change. Why change it at all if it's still similar for people? lol.
Image Image
Not active, won’t reply to pms/trades.
10/08/22 <3
Complete Collection Achieved 9/11/18
If you are foed you may still send me a pm
ElementalInsanity

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby PikaPerfect » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:12 pm

nickjr wrote:ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Quick, where's the common?

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Where's the very common?

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
I bet you already saw the different one

Sure, you can use the star placement, but since when were all CS pet images the same size?

THANK YOU FOR POSTING THIS!! Might I just say that it took me a good 20-30 seconds to find the common, and about 15-20 to find the very common. My color vision is completely fine, and there’s nothing wrong with the colors on my iPad Air.
call me pika - he/him - gay - i like cats, pokemon, and genshin impact
sorry if i don't respond to your DM, random messages give me anxiety 😎✌
The summoning gif worked :)
PikaPerfect

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Shian » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:55 pm

There’s light blue, there’s pink, there’s grey. All the tints and hues of each. Pick one. There’s literally no reason for two rarities to be similar shades of green.
ImageImage
Come buy old rare pets in bulk for gems!
Shian

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ElementalInsanity » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:27 pm

Shian wrote:There’s light blue, there’s pink, there’s grey. All the tints and hues of each. Pick one. There’s literally no reason for two rarities to be similar shades of green.

Yes. Exactly what I feel, thank you.
Image Image
10/08/22 <3
ElementalInsanity

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby DragonGirl218 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:05 pm

Hey, fun fact: the reason why a lot of us see the Common and Very Common bars as both being a general "green" is bc humans can see more shades of "green" than any other color. Which means that while all the others are identified immediately as purple, red, yellow, orange, and blue, those two get lumped together in our brain as "green" before they get id'd as more specific colors. Heck, there are some cultures who didn't even make a distinction between blue and green until other cultures introduced it to them, so that muddles the blue-green of VC even more since it shows that the distinction isn't necessarily an innate thing for the human brain.

So there's some science to chew over before dismissing them as "different enough" to not be worth changing.
DragonGirl218

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby nickjr » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:03 pm

DragonGirl218 wrote:Hey, fun fact: the reason why a lot of us see the Common and Very Common bars as both being a general "green" is bc humans can see more shades of "green" than any other color. Which means that while all the others are identified immediately as purple, red, yellow, orange, and blue, those two get lumped together in our brain as "green" before they get id'd as more specific colors. Heck, there are some cultures who didn't even make a distinction between blue and green until other cultures introduced it to them, so that muddles the blue-green of VC even more since it shows that the distinction isn't necessarily an innate thing for the human brain.

So there's some science to chew over before dismissing them as "different enough" to not be worth changing.

YES

(edit: for those who had no idea that this was a thing, check this out to get you started)

I've literally been learning about this for the past couple of weeks in one of my courses in school. It's really neat. And scary. Stuff that we think is innate and automatic and visceral... actually isn't. We were taught to make it innate and automatic and visceral.

That being said, most of CS's users are probably in areas that do have distinctions for red/orange/yellow/green/blue/purple/pink/brown/black/gray/white, exactly those, no more and no less, at the level of "colors that are not shades of each other" (I guess you could argue about pink, but that also depends on what shade of pink you see). With plenty of exceptions (search up something like "color blue in russian"), but if you're typing in English, you're probably at least familiar with the listed color distinctions at that level and you're probably familiar with how you can't name further colors that aren't "shades" of the listed colors.

At this point I'd take anything but I would also like something that's not teal, no matter how pleasing it is to my eyes rainbow-wise lol. Teal is a "shade" of blue or green, depending on which way it leans. (The current VC teal is definitely a shade of green. Too green. Pyromaniacal's teal, however, is a shade of blue to me. A green-blue. I like it because to me, it's significantly bluer than Common but definitely lighter than OMGSC. But I also have good eyes and good monitors. And then there's Raire's cyan. Definitely not teal lol but I think you might get teal if you darken it...)
Spread the word to end the word, because discrimination based on perceived or actual IQ/"intelligence" is no better than discrimination based on race, gender, etc.

Context, consistency, and clear antecedents are golden.
I neither read nor speak between the lines. But I will analyze your language.

Often on phone |||| Timezone: EDT/EST (CS Time -4/-5) |||| Very turbulent life IRL
Intentionally turned off signatures; PMs off June 2013 - June 2020, may turn off again later
Banner by Moonflight Image It's been over 10 years since my request, and I still love it. Thank you so much!

Character in avatar is from CS's 2015 Sucrose City summer event. Border made by me in MS Paint, Windows 8.1 xD
nickjr

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Aaron✦ » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:18 pm

nickjr wrote:
DragonGirl218 wrote:Hey, fun fact: the reason why a lot of us see the Common and Very Common bars as both being a general "green" is bc humans can see more shades of "green" than any other color. Which means that while all the others are identified immediately as purple, red, yellow, orange, and blue, those two get lumped together in our brain as "green" before they get id'd as more specific colors. Heck, there are some cultures who didn't even make a distinction between blue and green until other cultures introduced it to them, so that muddles the blue-green of VC even more since it shows that the distinction isn't necessarily an innate thing for the human brain.

YES

(edit: for those who had no idea that this was a thing, check this out to get you started)

I've literally been learning about this for the past couple of weeks in one of my courses in school. It's really neat. And scary. Stuff that we think is innate and automatic and visceral... actually isn't. We were taught to make it innate and automatic and visceral.

That being said, most of CS's users are probably in areas that do have distinctions for red/orange/yellow/green/blue/purple/pink/brown/black/gray/white, exactly those, no more and no less, at the level of "colors that are not shades of each other" (I guess you could argue about pink, but that also depends on what shade of pink you see). With plenty of exceptions (search up something like "color blue in russian"), but if you're typing in English, you're probably at least familiar with the listed color distinctions at that level and you're probably familiar with how you can't name further colors that aren't "shades" of the listed colors.

At this point I'd take anything but I would also like something that's not teal, no matter how pleasing it is to my eyes rainbow-wise lol. Teal is a "shade" of blue or green, depending on which way it leans. (The current VC teal is definitely a shade of green. Too green. Pyromaniacal's teal, however, is a shade of blue to me. A green-blue. I like it because to me, it's significantly bluer than Common but definitely lighter than OMGSC. But I also have good eyes and good monitors. And then there's Raire's cyan. Definitely not teal lol but I think you might get teal if you darken it...)

Personally I'm still struggling with both Pyro's and Perseoona's colours - I actually can't tell the difference between their colours and the current VC one, and again I've been tested for colourblindness and am not colourblind - but even those would be better than what we have currently.
    Also just in case anyone suggests it, I asked my sister to check and she can see the difference on this screen, so it's not that.

Agreed that Raire's cyan is a bit bright perhaps, but honestly at this point Shian just reflects my thoughts on this exactly

Shian wrote:There’s light blue, there’s pink, there’s grey. All the tints and hues of each. Pick one. There’s literally no reason for two rarities to be similar shades of green.

x
x

[
x
x

1 pet to go!icon
need help?guidesfor newbies

he/xey - no they/them
Image Image Image

x
x

]
Aaron✦
Global Moderator

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby ElementalInsanity » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:42 am

irisidium wrote:
    Personally I'm still struggling with both Pyro's and Perseoona's colours - I actually can't tell the difference between their colours and the current VC one, and again I've been tested for colourblindness and am not colourblind - but even those would be better than what we have currently.
    Also just in case anyone suggests it, I asked my sister to check and she can see the difference on this screen, so it's not that.

Agreed that Raire's cyan is a bit bright perhaps, but honestly at this point Shian just reflects my thoughts on this exactly

This is what I feel. I can’t tell the difference between pyro or perseoona’s and our current. So why change it at all if people -like myself and you- wouldn’t be able to tell the difference upon one quick glance still? It wouldn’t make sense.
We need it changed to a color that upon a quick look you can tell what it is. So each color then has its own unique tell.
Image Image
10/08/22 <3
ElementalInsanity

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups