Oekaki/Java problems & solutions

Need help with the site/forum/pets? Ask questions and get help from other members here.

Oekaki/Java problems & solutions

Postby Desmond » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:31 am

The big ol' guide of Oekaki/Java problems & solutions

Contributors

DoctorDraca
    Simon
    Bentley

I've seen many people struggle with the same issues that relate to the Oekaki, so I decided to make a guide and make it easier to find your problem and get a solution. This guide is incomplete as not every problem has yet been listed, but it will be updated when new problems and solutions arise. When you have a problem or solution, feel free to post on this thread. But please read to make sure your problem has not already been posted.

Directory:

Introduction - You are here

Chibi Paint

Chicken Paint

This guide mostly deals with issues relating to Java, not Oekaki tools or any art related problems.
    Last guide update: April 22nd, 2016
    Changes: - New Layout, Chicken Paint added

Other oekaki help guides:

That's all for now. This guide will be updated when new problems appear. Questions and comments relating to this guide and the Oekaki are allowed on the thread. Hopefully this guide will be of use to you guys. c:
Last edited by Desmond on Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:40 am, edited 45 times in total.
Characters /2/ PikakeClan /4/ F3 Pod
Part of the journey is the end.

ImageImageImage
Desmond
Oekaki Moderator

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Desmond » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:14 am

Chibi Paint Guide

This is the version of the Oekaki that uses Java. This version is becoming increasingly outdated as more and more browsers drop support for Java due to the bugs and security issues with it, in favor of the far more secure and adaptable HTML5 and Javascript. If you are not using Chibi Paint anymore, please ignore this post and move to the Chicken Paint section, as the solutions listed here are not likely to apply to you.

“I'm using Chrome and it's automatically making me use Chickenpaint even though I have selected Chibipaint in my settings!"

If you are using Chrome it will automatically switch to Chickenpaint. This is due to the fact that Chrome has dropped Java support entirely. Scroll down to learn more about Chickenpaint on the next post or switch browsers if you desire to use Chibipaint.

“I have no pen pressure!”
    “My pen's acting really weird but my tablet is fine?”

In order to enable pen pressure on the Oekaki, you need a plugin called JTablet. Not only does it give you pen pressure, but it fixes some lag issues with the Oekaki as well. It does not enable pen pressure for mouse users, only for tablet users. Be sure to restart your browser (or your computer if you're feeling fancy) after installing JTablet.

Also, make sure your tablet drivers are up to date! You can download the latest drivers from your tablet manufacturer's website. They're usually listed under the product name, or under 'Support' or something similar. If your pen pressure does not work outside of the Oekaki then you're just using out of date drivers and you need to update them or reinstall them.

For Mac OS X
      If you're using a recent version of Mac OS X, the official plugin won't work, so please install this version instead. Provided by our lovely Nick. If you have previously installed the other version of Tablet that is fine, just install this one and it will solve the issue. The other version of JTablet will make Oeaki not usable at all and cause the program to freeze.

“The Oekaki lags a lot.”
    “The Oekaki is very slow when loading.”

This may be because you have old things saved in your browser's cache. Those may slow down the application. Try clearing your browser's cache (if you don't know how, click this link and search for your browser), that should speed up your drawing experience a little.

Some people have found that installing the JTablet plugin in the answer above solves lags while drawing, even if they do not own a tablet.

“Oekaki won't let me draw and keeps giving me a pop up that says 'Insecure JRE'”
      Java is a silly little thing which gets updated quite a lot. When the oekaki shows this error, it just means that the Java version you are using is outdated, and you need to download and install the latest version from the website:

http://java.com/en/

“I have installed Java but it keeps telling me I don't have Java installed?”
      This might have several causes. The main issue with this is that your Java is not enabled. Go to your browser settings and search around for your Java to make sure it says it's enabled. (Use this handy little guide and search for your browser). You can also enable Java by going to your Control Panel, clicking on Java (or searching for it in the top right search bar), and going to the Security tab. Make sure that 'enable Java content in browsers' is checked on.

For Mac:
      Mac OS X (especially versions 10.7 and above), has less support towards Java. Safari sometimes has trouble with Java. Try switching over to FireFox if you can't get Java to work on Mac. FireFox is the most likely browser to run Java based applications such as the oekaki.

If switching to FireFox does not help, go to your system preferences and click on Java. Scroll through the tabs and make sure 'enable Java content in browsers' is checked on.

For Chrome (since April 2015):
      Since April 2015 Google Chrome will be dropping support towards Java and other applications. This will cause you to see the 'install Java' screen even if you already have it installed. There is a temporary fix until the support is lost entirely. Just follow these instructions and you're good to go. Be warned, this takes away your pen pressure so you'll need to install JTablet again after this and relaunch your browser.

I highly suggest to switch over to another browser like FireFox in the end, since this work-around is only temporary.

“I'm trying to load the oekaki but it's giving me a grey screen?”
      It's possible that Java wasn't installed correctly on your computer or that you're using an older update. Uninstall all Java programs from your computer and download and install the latest version from their website. Then be sure to refresh your browser.

http://www.java.com/en/download/installed.jsp
      You can also try the above link to verify your Java version. If it's updated, it'll give you instructions to fix it.

If it still won't work, then check your antivirus and firewall. They may be blocking Java. Turn either of them off for a test. As I cannot list every solution for every antivirus, I suggest you google how to make an exception for Java so your computer will remain protected and you'll be able to draw.

Only for Windows users
      If you're still getting a grey screen after trying everything, then uninstall your current Java versions and download and install the offline installer located here:
      http://java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

“I'm trying to load the oekaki but it's giving me a white screen?”
      This is usually due to a faulty installation or older versions blocking the newer Java version. Make sure that every older version has been uninstalled (you can uninstall Java like you uninstall every other program on your computer) before you install the newer version to keep this from happening.

Should the white screen persist, uninstall every Java version that's on your computer and reinstall the latest version from the official Java website.

“My computer keeps blocking Java/security settings are blocking Java”
      Update! (20th of May 2015)
      Java has increased its security settings once again and now requires CS to be whitelisted again. This can be done by accessing your Java Control Panel and adding CS to the Java Exception list. Use the instructions given here:
      https://www.java.com/en/download/faq/ex ... telist.xml

This is the site you need to whitelist:
      http://www.chickensmoothie.com/

It's important to add the slash at the end!

Sometimes this pop-up appears after a white error screen with a red X in the corner. The Oekaki should no longer give any security settings error since May 19th 2014. If you're still suffering from the 'application blocked by security settings' error, then you are using an older version of Chibipaint. Please make sure that you are using Chibipaint v2.0! You can change it here:
      oekaki/settings.php

“Java keeps giving me script related errors that I don't understand?”
      Do you happen to have the Chibipaint app downloaded to your computer? If so, just uninstall it. The CS oekaki does not need Chibipaint to be downloaded to use it. Running it while running the CS oekaki will give you some script errors, so just uninstall it if you're only planning on using the CS oekaki.

It could also be that you have older versions of Java still installed on your computer. Older versions may keep the newest version from working properly and may bring up these script errors. Uninstall all older versions of Java you have on your computer and try again.

“I keep getting the message 'Couldn't start because Java has run out of memory'!"
      You can increase your Java memory. It's quite useful if you tend to save a lot of things or like working on older drawings a lot. Seeing as listing all these would stretch the page, I've compiled a list of tutorials for the most common operating systems:

WIndows XP
      Windows 7

Mac OS X
      - Open the Java Preferences application, found under Applications > Utilities
      - Select the General tab
      - Under Java Applet Plugin, select the top entry
      - Click on Options
      - Type "-Xmx512m" into the text box (without quotation marks) to increase the memory to 512 MB
      - Click OK
      - Close the Java Preferences application
      - Restart your browser

“I can't rotate my canvas like other people can and the space is too crowded!”
      You're probably still using the first version of Chibipaint. Try changing it to v2.0 on your oekaki settings below:
      oekaki/settings.php

“Can I get the Oekaki to work on my tablet PC? (iPad)”
      You cannot use the Oekaki application on mobile devices. Mobile devices (such as tablets and smart phones) do not support Java, which makes it impossible for the application to run. If you want to use the Oekaki, please use a computer.

“My Oekaki isn't saving! It freezes or tells me it failed to save.”
      Try again! Sometimes it takes a while before the Oekaki will save, especially if you have a lot of layers. If you keep having issues, try to use a cable to connect to the internet. The direct connection will usually allow you to save. If nothing seems to be working, restart your router if possible.

“The Oekaki is displaying Malware?”
      CS is a perfectly safe site, but Google has been displaying ads that contain a fake Java. Read more about it here:
      Forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2502392

The problem should be solved now, but if you still have issues, please seek out the above link.

“I still have problems!”
      I suggest you send in a help ticket. Describe your problem very clearly, and make sure to tell us what browser (Chrome, FireFox, Internet Explorer, ...) and operating system (Windows 7, 8, Mac OS X, …) you are running. It's easier for us to find a suitable solution that way! Taking screenshots is extra helpful!

You're also welcome to post on the thread. (:
Last edited by Desmond on Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:35 am, edited 16 times in total.
Characters /2/ PikakeClan /4/ F3 Pod
Part of the journey is the end.

ImageImageImage
Desmond
Oekaki Moderator

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Desmond » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:57 pm

Chicken Paint Guide

“So Chicken Paint doesn't require Java at all?"

Yeah that's correct! Chicken Paint does not need java to work. If you have been having issues with Java or would prefer not to have Java installed, it is highly recommended that you switch over to Chicken Paint.

Chicken Paint does, however, require JavaScript, which has nothing to do with Java. Be sure that your browser has JavaScript enabled in its settings before you use Chicken Paint.

Because ChickenPaint does not use Java, Nick was able to adapt it to work on mobile devices. The tool menus are collapsible, to make it a bit easier in that format.

“How do you switch to Chicken Paint?"

You can select it here

“How do you use pen pressure/a tablet with Chicken Paint?"

You do not need JTablet for this to work; because JTablet is a (very outdated) Java program and Chicken Paint does not use Java, it won't help you, and may in fact make it more likely to break. If you have it on your machine, it's best to remove it!

From the FAQ:
      If you're using the new "ChickenPaint" Oekaki tool (it'll say "ChickenPaint" next to the menu options), then click "Help -> Tablet support" in ChickenPaint for instructions on using a graphics tablet.

Currently, because of the nature of ChickenPaint, and all of the factors that go into reading and interpreting signals from one's pen, there is no exact method to getting pen pressure to work -- we can't test all of the constantly-changing factors, and one setup might work for one person while an identical setup might not for someone else. What we can do, though, is offer ideas that might work:
      • What browser are you using? Some have not yet added support.
      • What brand is your tablet? Wacom/Intuos and Cintiq tablets - as well as any other big, well-known brands - are going to be more likely to have support in browsers.
      • Are your browser, computer operating system, and tablet drivers all up to date?
      • Do you have any add-ons? Try turning them on or off, perhaps they're interfering.
      • Is your internet connection stable? Try plugging it in, or clearing your cache - a lag may be making it hard for your tablet's signal to be read correctly.

Some combinations to note:
      • I (Desmond) use Windows/Wacom/Opera, and it works for me. However, I know it has not worked for a few others.
      • Windows/Wacom/Chrome combination users may find success by enabling Windows Ink in your tablet settings.

“I can't find my saved drawings!"

Don't worry they were just moved. When you are selecting a canvas size you can find them underneath those selections. Just click on one of them to start drawing.

"But what about the "Based on __" link? Will my drawing still appear under the original, even though I'm going in that way?

Don't worry about this. No matter where you post your drawing or how you start it, it's going to end up linking to the original just as it would if you had not taken a break from editing, and it will appear under the original drawing in the "colored in versions" list, with only one exception, explained below. Do not fret, just post it, it will be okay!

The one exception to this issue is if a "cover" separating finished drawings from the original (ie: "My Entries" in a contest) is deleted after colored-in versions (such as finished entries) have been made. In this example, the drawing will link to the original, but will not appear in the list of edited versions below the original. Staff can fix this pretty easily, simply report the thread or send in a help ticket, and specify where it needs to link up.

“Are there any new features?"

Yeah there are a few. One is the new tool that allows you to create gradients. Another is the new option to use keyboard shortcuts like "Command Z" to undo something. Clipping and masks, layer folders, and a few other handy tools have been added in recently, be sure to check them out here!

Chicken Paint is going to be continually updated from now on so there may be more features in the near future!
Last edited by Desmond on Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:31 pm, edited 12 times in total.
Desmond
Oekaki Moderator

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Oekaki/Java problems & solutions

Postby kivr & fireflii » Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:14 am

bLESS THIS POST <3
My oekaki is not working sobs
Didn't know that Mac was unfriendly towards java haha;;
had to manually allow Java through system preferences x__x
kivr centers | fireflii signs
kivr & fireflii

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Panne » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:17 am

BLESS
This is so helpful, thank you omg ;u;

xxxxxxxxx.xxxxxxxxx.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello! I'm Panne!
Feel free to call me
Pan! I like art and
video games! My
PMs are always open
for chatting or help!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Panne

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby lesbian » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:25 am

JTablet isn't working for me.

I still don't have pen pressure. And I have no clue what to do!
❤️
🧡
🤍
💗
❤️
hàlo, is mise fineal! (hello, my name is fennel!)
i'm a queer artist from scotland, & i've been on
cs for 12 years now!! mainly here to collect tho
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
they/them • adhd (bad @ pms/trades) • lesbian
❤️
🧡
🤍
💗
❤️
lesbian

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby DoctorDraca » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:22 am

TheFabulousKilljoy<3 wrote:
JTablet isn't working for me.

I still don't have pen pressure. And I have no clue what to do!

Does your tablet show pen pressure outside of the oekaki? Because you may just have to download the latest drivers for your tablet.
------------------- ◊ -------------------
toyhousedeviantarttracker dogs
DoctorDraca

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby wednesdays » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:21 pm

Er, my pen pressure works, but it's been doing this weird thing:
    I start to draw something, and then it pauses for a few seconds, and makes a straight line back to where my pen is. I've tried clearing my cache, as you suggested in the guide, but it didn't do anything or help. Is there any way I can fix this? ;v;

* Oh and my computer is Windows 8, and I am using the alpha pressure applet because the first one doesn't work whatsoever. The first one did not work on my old laptop either, but the alpha applet worked perfectly fine on my old laptop so I figured it would work fine on my new one but it doesn't.
i used to be venus
wednesdays

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby DoctorDraca » Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:51 am

Actually, the normal JTablet plugin should work on Windows 8. After installing the plugin, did you restart your browser?
Also, what browser are you using? Because not all browsers give the same results.
------------------- ◊ -------------------
toyhousedeviantarttracker dogs
DoctorDraca

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby wednesdays » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:15 am

DoctorDraca wrote:Actually, the normal JTablet plugin should work on Windows 8. After installing the plugin, did you restart your browser?
Also, what browser are you using? Because not all browsers give the same results.

Alright, I'll try that out; I didn't think you needed to restart.
    & I'm using Mozilla Firefox.

edit; got it to work, ahhh thank you so much ;v;v<3
i used to be venus
wednesdays

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me