Do I need to change my username because someone else had it?

Need help with the site/forum/pets? Ask questions and get help from other members here.

Do I need to change my username because someone else had it?

Postby Snowflake Shine » Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:49 pm

I recently changed my username to xX-LunaStar-Xx because that's the username I use on all my other online sites and games. When I first registered for CS I couldn't have it though because someone else had it but I decided to try changing it to something different today and it worked! So I guess the person that originally had this username quit?

I just want to check that I won't get in trouble for changing it. I see people writing things in their signature about not stealing old usernames so I don't want to get into trouble about it.

I hope it's okay and if not I can change it to something else if I stole it from someone....

Thanks for the help.
Last edited by Snowflake Shine on Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Snowflake Shine

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: Do I need to change my username because someone else had

Postby DecafBunny » Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:51 pm

People get realy mad and i would to and i did because i used to be husky girl and twice that name was stolen -_-
        • Going on Haitus again... •

Art by sugartabby72600 wrote:
Owed Work wrote:
• Dealing with personal issues. Probably won't be active again.

DecafBunny

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby blueshadowmoon » Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:52 pm

You can't get in trouble for using it, once someone changes their username it's not theirs anymore so they can't control who uses it.
99.9% of girls would faint if Twilight ended.
If you're the 0.1% that would say "Avatar
the last airbender is better!" put this in your
signature.

EagleClan (A semi-semi-lit RP)
Who is Mocking?
Innocent. Victimized.
Misunderstood. Abandoned.
Betrayed.

Selfish. Rude.
Inconsiderate. Evil.

~Mocking
~Saffron
Note to self:
Go on Howrse
and Ailouros later.

99.99% of kids who pass around chain letters saying they would kill a popular musician/actor/celebrity or encourage said person to kill themselves would not be able to do it. In fact they make themselves look like heartless little monsters and not edgy speshul snowflakes by passing around a meaningless chain letter. Copy and paste this is you want to buy into an asinine trend." - Rainbow Dash
Want to find out who Mocking is for yourself?
I need more candy from Halloween 2012. Feel free to send a trade if you have any extras!
I made it through Sandy! Hopefully the people where Sandy's at right now are staying safe,
blueshadowmoon

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Shian » Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:54 pm

blueshadowmoon wrote:You can't get in trouble for using it, once someone changes their username it's not theirs anymore so they can't control who uses it.

This. You own one name only. Not two. Not 5. Not 15 or every name you ever had on CS. One. Yes, people may get upset but they gave up their right to that username when they changed it. You do nothing wrong by changing your name to one that is available.
ImageImage
Come buy old rare pets in bulk for gems!
Shian

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Sakura Kyoko » Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:56 pm

I personally dont think so,once you change your username,you have no right to keep it since you've already changed it to another username,in my case I only have my old username in my sig so people know who i used to be before.
PD:Sorry if this've confused you,I just dont know how to explain this quite well.
Last edited by Sakura Kyoko on Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Semi quitting
Sakura Kyoko

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Arouria » Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:56 pm

Users can't "Claim" usernames, if they changed thier username to something else then the Username is free to use by anyone who wants it. Nobody can "steal" a username if it's nobodys to begin with right? If a username isen't in use it's free for anyone to use it.

So, in short, nope, you shoulden't have any trouble with you username switch. If for some reason the person who originally had the username starts bothering or asking you to change the username, report them to a mod.
// Help // Characters // Perediashas // Da //
Arouria

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Snowflake Shine » Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:59 pm

Oh okay that's good to know everyone. I was worried that I would get into trouble. I don't know who had this username before. I just thought they quit or something.

Thanks so much for the help I understand though that people might get mad if they still wanted to keep that username but I'm happy that I won't get in trouble for changing it.

Thanks so much for the help. I was just confused because I always see people on the forums with "Don't steal so-and-so username" or " such-and-such username is copyright to me"

Thank you everyone for the quick responses.
Snowflake Shine

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Tess » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:18 pm

if the name is available then you can take it.

However, if you were taking someone's old username so you could pretend to be that person, then you could get in trouble for messing with other players.
Click here if you need help from CS Staff or General Helpers!
Tess
Admin

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me