Scary story I wrote because I could

Are you a writer or a poet? Come and share your creations with us, or discuss writing techniques with others
Forum rules
Please only post your own original work, do not post poetry or stories which were written by someone else.

Scary story I wrote because I could

Postby Moniteau Warrior » Fri Feb 16, 2024 5:45 am

Hey all I'm new but I love to write. I wrote this story for a class and it was supposed to be a 500 word minimum but I didn't hit that tell me what I should add and what you think.

Madrest, Maine

There once was a family who lived on the outskirts of Madrest, Maine. This little town is very old and it's so old one of the houses near the forest was completely forgotten about. Turns out the reason this house was forgotten was because someone went mad and committed suicide. That's how the town got its name. My name is Alastair Carstairs and I have an unpleasant story for you.
Every day before bed I remember being told by my mom and dad “Stay in bed” but never got an answer on why I had to. One day I found out why, and all I know is that I'm never getting out of bed in the middle of the night ever again.
12 years ago I had a few friends over after school and we had a lot of fun. When they went home I got my bath and watched TV with my parents in the living room. We were watching “Children of the Corn” by Steven King. After that, I went to bed and yet again I was told “Stay in bed, Alastair”. For some odd reason, I couldn't sleep that night and I finally got up around 2 am on the 13th of October which was a Friday.
Since my parents always said “Stay in bed”, I laid in bed for a bit looking around my Spiderman-themed room looking at the Marvel posters and glow-in-the-dark stars on my ceiling. I finally got the courage to get up and turn on the only light in my room which is right next to my door. Since the light is so far away I run across the room with my eyes closed because I'm scared of the dark and find the light switch. With a click the light turns on and I open my eyes again. It's just my room and there is nothing weird happening yet. I get a little thirsty and my parents are on the second floor of the house so I open the door and go to the kitchen to get a drink.
On the way to the kitchen, I hear a weird sound coming from the basement but I ignore it. I finally get to the kitchen and turn on the light. In the kitchen, I get a plastic cup with pumpkins and other Halloween stuff on it. I get my water and start back to my room. When I reach the door to the basement I pause again and look at it thinking about going down to see what the sound is and remembering what my parents told me. I keep going forward and reach my room. I set down my cup, lay in my bed and read Harry Potter. I finally get bored about an hour to an hour and a half later so the time is around 3 to 3:30 am. I decided to go to the basement because the entire time I've been up I've been arguing with myself to go down there.
On my way there I realize the sound has gotten a bit louder so I slam open the door as quietly as I can and turn on the light. I still hear the noise but the light is on so I'm not scared to go down the old creaky steps. The steps sound like if you step in the wrong place you'll fall right through.
In the basement, there are a lot of boxes and stuff from the move here but nothing seems to be out of place and moving to make a sound. That's when it happened…The lightbulb burns out and I'm left in complete darkness. I stifle a scream and keep my eyes open so I can find my way out. Then the sound starts again. Bang…Bang…Bang…
Then I feel it…cold hard hands on my shoulders and someone whispers,” Finally you didn't listen to Mommy and Daddy,” I stay quiet and a tear runs down my face. “Hahaha,” the person laughs. “You have finally fallen into my trap and now you are going to feel the pain I felt when the police took my 10-year-old son away from me and gave it to that…that…thing of a mother.” I start shaking, trying to get out of the person's arms. “Oh give up,” he says, “time to feel my pain.” He points something sharp into the back of my head and whispers ” Have fun.” I scream and squirm out of his arms.
He tries to grab me again but he can't and then I hear someone running down the steps. I trip on a box and I realize my dad is the one coming down the stairs. He said something that sounded like “Duck Alastair” but I wasn't able to tell until I moved and a Bullet went zooming past my head and hit the person square in the forehead. I screamed again when I heard the wet hollow sound when the bullet connected.
My dad yelled “Get over here Alastair!!!” and I ran as fast as I could and went into my dad's arms. He carried me up the steps with the gun still in his hands whispering calming words into my ear as I sobbed into his shoulder.
Now here I am 12 years later still living in the same town but with an explanation as to why I should never get out of bed at night. I am still scared of the dark and the basement, but I learned my lesson of “Always listen to your parents even if the thing you have to do is stupid.”
Im Grace

She/Her

My birthday is April 20th

Love animals, Music, and Writing

Also Love College Football and Baceball

Geaux LSU Tigers, Go TCU Frogs
Moniteau Warrior

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes