To the Winter Haven

Are you a writer or a poet? Come and share your creations with us, or discuss writing techniques with others
Forum rules
Please only post your own original work, do not post poetry or stories which were written by someone else.

To the Winter Haven

Postby gracetaiga » Fri Dec 01, 2023 2:01 pm

To the Winter Haven
over the peak, and into the valley
turn right where the boulder touches the sky
across the river, and past the basin
you will arrive at the winter haven

gracetaiga

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

To the Winter Haven ~ Day 1

Postby gracetaiga » Fri Dec 01, 2023 2:01 pm

[1]

The peppermint colored horses heard rumors about a wonderfully long, warm, and relaxing beach in the south from a massive group that they came across. They turned out to be very friendly travelers of many various species. Coincidentally, they were also mostly shades of red and green. Many members of the group had said they travelled to this beach haven last year but they cannot anymore to uphold the tradition of preserving it for the incoming group of wanderers. Cracker thought their statements were odd but did not pass up the opportunity to stay somewhere warm for the much colder months. He set off with his mare Miss, his foal Jean, and his sisters, Breeze & Sunshine. The mares, and especially little Jean, were not as excited to travel as far as they were going to, but were thrilled to be able to see new scenery and feel the sand under their hooves for the first time.

The travelers had warned the wandering horses that a tall peak lay ahead, and to be wary of the steep incline. Miss urged on little Jean with encouraging words. She knew her foal was strong, but Sunshine and Breeze thought she may be pushing her a little too hard. The sisters would help nudge Jean along when she started to struggle, or Sunshine would complain that her previously strained hoof was acting up again and ask Cracker and Miss to stop for a few minutes. Little Jean seemed to notice these kind actions and started to develop a strong liking for her aunties. After a while Cracker realized that Sunshine was fibbing, and he became upset, stating they were wasting time. However, Miss stepped in and calmly leaned against him, surprisingly noting that there was no real rush to get there, since the haven was only a few days away. Breeze added that they could continue to have fun on their travels, reminding him that there wasn't any particularly dangerous passages. Cracker sighed and smiled, he agreed, thanked the mares for calming him down, and touched noses with little Jean before asking her if she was ready to continue. Jean gave a hearty yes, and they went back on their way.

They neared the peak and Breeze offered to race little Jean to the top, as there was only a short distance left. Cracker chuckled as she happily obliged and took off with Breeze right behind her. Miss frowned slightly but quickly followed her foal to ensure she didn't fall or hurt herself. Sunshine joined in the race, but both Breeze and Sunshine let little Jean win in order to let her be the first to see the sunset.
gracetaiga

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

To the Winter Haven ~ Day 2

Postby gracetaiga » Sun Dec 03, 2023 3:50 pm

[1]

Little Jean was clearly awestruck from the sunset as she was still talking about it the following morning. Cracker had found a small outcrop near the peak with some nestled trees that perfectly fit the small herd for the night. They had to sleep close to each other as the wind picked up at some point, but they all got a pretty good amount of rest considering their location. Breeze and Sunshine entertained little Jean, as Cracker and Miss went over their travel plans. They regrouped and let the others know that they would be descending down the small mountain and into the valley below. Miss stated that they would be going slower today since going downhill is much harder on everyone's legs, and everyone agreed.

Cracker found somewhat of a trail soon after they started their descent, which certainly felt better than traversing on the larger rocks. Cracker and Jean led the family down the rest of the mountain, with Jean setting the pace. While the group was taking a breather, little Jean seemed to vanish from view. Miss was the first to notice and frantically started to call out her name. Jean poked her head out of some nearby shrubbery excitedly exclaiming that she had found a snake. Miss quickly reprimanded her and quickly got her away from the shrubbery that this snake was apparently in. Breeze was curious and went over to try and get a glimpse of it, and it turned out to just be a snake skin. Cracker was unsure how his foal was so curious and unaware of danger, until he realized that he was the same way, perhaps even worse, when he was her age.

They reached the bottom of the mountain pretty quickly with no casualties. They grazed for a while under the late morning sun and drank out of a nearby stream to get their strength up to continue their journey through the wide valley. Miss and Sunshine pointed out how beautiful the warm shades of flowers were while Jean was frolicking in them like there was no tomorrow. Breeze was busy teasing Cracker about how much energy little Jean has, saying that he also used to have fun. Over time, the sun fell in the sky, and once it touched the horizon, Cracker led the herd to a patch of trees to rest.

[2]

There was a distraught mother who brought her puppies: Snow, Star, Robin, Spirit, Bright, Glee, Polar, and Yule, in multiple open cloth wrappings, to the group of friendly travelers that the peppermint horses ran into. She gasped, saying she needed help, as she was falling terribly ill and her partner had gone missing. The puppies were given to a surrogate mother and seemed to be healthy, while the mother was given some medicine. The mother survived, but due to the medicine she could not nurse her pups again, as it would poison their weak immune systems. She received immense comfort from the group, but knowing her mate was still out there somewhere, she ultimately made the heavy decision to leave her pups in the wonderful care they were in now, and search for her beloved. She graciously thanked everyone and they wished her well on her travels. It was unclear on if she was returning.

The puppies noticed a shift in warmth, but that was all, since their eyes weren't open yet due to them being so young. The group decided to raise them, and then send them off on their journey once they have grown, with their parents if they return.
gracetaiga

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me