*Book Idea Critique*

Are you a writer or a poet? Come and share your creations with us, or discuss writing techniques with others
Forum rules
Please only post your own original work, do not post poetry or stories which were written by someone else.

*Book Idea Critique*

Postby Uniquelog » Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:36 pm

Hi! I just wanted some outside opinions on the characters names in the sci-fi book I'm writing! : )

The book is about a girl (Cevinen Ej) who lives on a planet called Sana'akta. Ever since she was young, the people on her planet have roughly known the date that their very old sun (Kasars) is going to expand into a red giant and destroy their home. Unfortunately, the technology on Sana'akta is not very advanced. Their civilization has just recently invented space travel, and cannot figure out logistically how to evacuate the entire planet to the outermost planet (Brism - which actually orbits around a small black hole at the edge of the solar system, keeping it satisfactorily far away from Kasars for *most* of the time) safely. The rich have enough money to fund the construction of their own ships, but that isn't true for the lower-classes. As a child, Cevinen Ej submits an idea to the government via a school contest that the rich fund the construction of ships for the poor, and in return they can reserve the right to siphon those ships' power if anything goes wrong with their own. This inadvertently halts technological development, as the rich believe they can build cheap ships and (if anything goes wrong) simply take another.

Years later, the day comes when the star (Kasars) is set to expand, and citizens are given their assigned "end-tickets." Cevinen makes it to her ship, one of those designated for the lower-class, and is surprised to learn that her parents won't be joining her. They have always been conscientous objectors to her idea, knowing that it will likely result in the deaths of many lower-class people who are forced to evacuate via the dangerous ships and risk dying, or stay on-planet and die anyway. Instead, Cevinen's parents have paid their close friends to watch over her and give her instructions on how to find them. Cevinen is extremely distraught, and fails to seek out those people initially. Instead, after the expansion, she roams the ship looking for some paper. She's hysterical and wants to write a goodbye letter to her family as a coping mechanism. Eventually, the pilot of the ship (Amnon Asyci), gives her a piece of paper from his logbook. When she asks for another, Amnon realizes that there is no more paper on the ship. No paper, no books, nothing. He panics - wondering if the other ships thought to take books/knowledge and not *just* people. He contacts the co-pilot of the luxury ship he's tailing (Kvitsa Karlo) who also realizes that they have no books. She radios around, and the two uncover that their entire race is heading to Brism and is going to land having lost 400,000 years worth of advancement and ideas.

Basically - the group of characters land on Brism and having to rebuild their society from nothing while also dealing with the grief of losing their planet and loved ones. As the characters work on starting over (in the midst of both political and existential crises), a massive wormhole appears above Brism. Through this wormhole (or whatever it is) they can see Earth (Maj'ra)! Seeing a planet so obviously occupied and thriving gives the group the motivation they need to achieve their civilization's previous level of advancement, and, maybe, get to Earth themselves. Until, halfway through the book, Earth just... disappears.

What happened to Earth, and how can they go on?

Book title: "Nothing Matters" (pun on matter, in a scientific sense, lol, and also their existential dread)

Main Characters w/pronunciation:

Cevinen Ej (Sev-uh-nun Edge)
Amnon Asyci (Am-non Uh-sigh-see)
Kvitsa Karlo (Kuh-vitsa Karlo)
Dedri Norrjer (Dead-ri Nor-yare)
Imverly Reyvak (Imver-lee Rey-vuhk)
Rook Zaad (how it looks)

Star:
Kasars (Kay-sars)

Planets:
Memia
Ocuryn (Ah-cure-n)
Sana'akta (Sauna - Awk - tuh )
Radus (Ray-dis)
Brism

Black Hole:
Tolmus (toll-muss)

Earth
Maj'ra (Modge-ruh)

Are the names ridiculous?? Is the idea ridiculous?? Lol
Last edited by Uniquelog on Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Uniquelog

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: *Book Idea Critique*

Postby Uniquelog » Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:46 pm

Uniquelog wrote:
Hi! I just wanted some outside opinions on the characters names in the sci-fi book I'm writing! : )

The book is about a girl (Cevinen Ej) who lives on a planet called Sana'akta. Ever since she was young, the people on her planet have roughly known the date that their very old sun (Kasars) is going to expand into a red giant and destroy their home. Unfortunately, the technology on Sana'akta is not very advanced. Their civilization has just recently invented space travel, and cannot figure out logistically how to evacuate the entire planet to the outermost planet (Brism - which actually orbits around a small black hole at the edge of the solar system, keeping it satisfactorily far away from Kasars for *most* of the time) safely. The rich have enough money to fund the construction of their own ships, but that isn't true for the lower-classes. As a child, Cevinen Ej submits an idea to the government via a school contest that the rich fund the construction of ships for the poor, and in return they can reserve the right to siphon those ships' power if anything goes wrong with their own. This inadvertently halts technological development, as the rich believe they can build cheap ships and (if anything goes wrong) simply take another.

Years later, the day comes when the star (Kasars) is set to expand, and citizens are given their assigned "end-tickets." Cevinen makes it to her ship, one of those designated for the lower-class, and is surprised to learn that her parents won't be joining her. They have always been conscientous objectors to her idea, knowing that it will likely result in the deaths of many lower-class people who are forced to evacuate via the dangerous ships and risk dying, or stay on-planet and die anyway. Instead, Cevinen's parents have paid their close friends to watch over her and give her instructions on how to find them. Cevinen is extremely distraught, and fails to seek out those people initially. Instead, after the expansion, she roams the ship looking for some paper. She's hysterical and wants to write a goodbye letter to her family as a coping mechanism. Eventually, the pilot of the ship (Amnon Asyci), gives her a piece of paper from his logbook. When she asks for another, Amnon realizes that there is no more paper on the ship. No paper, no books, nothing. He panics - wondering if the other ships thought to take books/knowledge and not *just* people. He contacts the co-pilot of the luxury ship he's tailing (Kvitsa Karlo) who also realizes that they have no books. She radios around, and the two uncover that their entire race is heading to Brism and is going to land having lost 400,000 years worth of advancement and ideas.

Basically - the group of characters land on Brism and having to rebuild their society from nothing while also dealing with the grief of losing their planet and loved ones. As the characters work on starting over (in the midst of both political and existential crises), a massive wormhole appears above Brism. Through this wormhole (or whatever it is) they can see Earth (Maj'ra)! Seeing a planet so obviously occupied and thriving gives the group the motivation they need to achieve their civilization's previous level of advancement, and, maybe, get to Earth themselves. Until, halfway through the book, Earth just... disappears.

Book title: "Nothing Matters" (pun on matter, in a scientific sense, lol, and also their existential dread)

Rook Zaad (how it looks)

Star:
Kasars (Kay-sars)

Planets:
Memia
Ocuryn (Ah-cure-n)
Radus (Ray-dis)
Brism

Black Hole:
Tolmus (toll-muss)

Earth
Maj'ra (Modge-ruh)

bump
Uniquelog

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Uniquelog » Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:54 pm

Uniquelog wrote:
Uniquelog wrote:

Rook Zaad (how it looks)

Star:
Kasars (Kay-sars)

Planets:
Memia
Ocuryn (Ah-cure-n)
Radus (Ray-dis)
Brism

Black Hole:
Tolmus (toll-muss)

Earth
Maj'ra (Modge-ruh)

bump
Uniquelog

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Yaeli » Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:02 pm

I love the premise and the philosophical topics. The names are cool too, I think, although I would definitely need a pronunciation guide (I don't mind but idk if others would). Cevinen seems like she would be called something else by her friends, if she has any. Cevi, maybe?

As a reader, I'd like the idea of the rich vs. poor and availability of ships to be expanded upon and maybe for a conflict to involve that. The summary you wrote did seem a bit "one thing happens, then another thing happens" where I wasn't sure what the central conflict was exactly.

The relationship with Earth is very interesting. They would be inspired, but I imagine also jealous. You didn't say that they know of Earth's origins and whether the conditions were anything like what they have to build from, so they may not see Earth as an example but rather an object of hate for not facing the same issues they do.

Everything you wrote is fascinating and draws me in. There's a lot of potential to explore philosophical topics and maybe make an unconventional philosophical point if you want.

What happened to Earth?! I wanna know so bad.
Yaeli

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Uniquelog » Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:32 pm

feathermoth wrote:I love the premise and the philosophical topics. The names are cool too, I think, although I would definitely need a pronunciation guide (I don't mind but idk if others would). Cevinen seems like she would be called something else by her friends, if she has any. Cevi, maybe?

As a reader, I'd like the idea of the rich vs. poor and availability of ships to be expanded upon and maybe for a conflict to involve that. The summary you wrote did seem a bit "one thing happens, then another thing happens" where I wasn't sure what the central conflict was exactly.

The relationship with Earth is very interesting. They would be inspired, but I imagine also jealous. You didn't say that they know of Earth's origins and whether the conditions were anything like what they have to build from, so they may not see Earth as an example but rather an object of hate for not facing the same issues they do.

Everything you wrote is fascinating and draws me in. There's a lot of potential to explore philosophical topics and maybe make an unconventional philosophical point if you want.

What happened to Earth?! I wanna know so bad.

Thank you! I'm definitely struggling to find that central conflict/theme. Perhaps the central conflict is the loss of knowledge and the consequences that erupt from that, but with varying themes of love and loss, inconsequentiality in the grand scheme, social injustice, and nihilism. I really want the characters to each struggle with their own personal kind of pain. Cevinen (cevi!) with regret because she feels like she sacrificed not only her parents but their ideals (I also want a defining moment for her to be having to watch as one of the luxury ships takes another). Fear, rage, loneliness, disgust etc for the other characters... I want each character asking themselves in their own different ways throughout the book if nothing matters, and finding that *something* does. Basically a metaphor for depression lmao

What happens to earth is the Question!!!! I have literally no idea. I've been wracking my brain for what specifically happened. I'm considering just subtly implying that the people on Earth somehow totally destroyed themselves. Earth isn't in another place, it didn't move, it was wiped from existence.

On the other hand, I hate when authors leave things up to the imagination. I has gots to know. It also feels like it has a lot more potential for the plot than just total destruction... Ahhh. Maybe the characters find a way to make it to our solar system? Maybe they find something...

Also love the idea that they aren't just inspired by Earth, but that they might be jealous/hate it. It's taunting them. That's a fantastic angle to explore. Thank you <333
Uniquelog

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby WarriorcatKitty » Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:59 pm

:0 I really love this idea! I think all of it is very well-thought out, I would 100% read this book once you've finished writing it! Not sure I can offer any critique though since I'm struggling to write a book myself haha
my memory is the worst, so if you believe i have forgotten art, payment, or anything, please send me a message and remind me!!

Call me Autumn or Wolf !! <3
✨t1 diabetic||ey/em/she/her/they/them||ND||therian✨

please use tone tags with me <3
interests atm: Cartoons/Animation (specifically hyperfixated on hazbin hotel atm), Drawing, Animal Jam, WolfQuest, Warrior Cats.
Image Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image
everyone go gift Haze rn they are the bestest friend ever <3
✨🌕✨
"late at night, when the stars don't look quite right..."
Image Image Image

WarriorcatKitty

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Uniquelog » Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:42 am

WarriorcatKitty wrote::0 I really love this idea! I think all of it is very well-thought out, I would 100% read this book once you've finished writing it! Not sure I can offer any critique though since I'm struggling to write a book myself haha

Thank you so much!! : )
pls DM me! I'd love to hear about your book!
Uniquelog

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me