The Memories of Water || VOK LOTW worldbuilding

Are you a writer or a poet? Come and share your creations with us, or discuss writing techniques with others
Forum rules
Please only post your own original work, do not post poetry or stories which were written by someone else.

The Memories of Water || VOK LOTW worldbuilding

Postby snapshot » Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:21 am

~ The Memories of Water ~

This thread is a collection of stories about the Lions of the Waves.

Completed prompts and points:

For Level 2
A30 -- 100
A33 -- 100
A35 --- 75
A36 --- 75

B1 --- 100
B2 ---- 50
A6 --- 100
B22 -- 100
A7 --- 150
A5 ---- 50

B12 -- 200

P4 --- 150
P1 --- 100
P3 --- 150

P2 ---- 50
P1 --- 100
D1 --- 100
D1 --- 100
D1 --- 100

D2 --- 300
D2 --- 300
P1 --- 100

D1 --- 100
D1 --- 100
P2 ---- 50
D1 --- 100
P2 --- 50

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For Level 10+11
P1 --- 100
D1 --- 100
P2 ---- 50
C5 --- 150
D2 --- 300
D2 --- 300

Last edited by snapshot on Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:10 am, edited 28 times in total.
snapshot

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

A1-A10

Postby snapshot » Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:34 am

A1 (+100) wrote:
Create a map of your pride’s territory. You may draw one, use a website/builder, describe one, or code/collage one together.

Notes:
- This map is not quite to scale
- It is about a 12 hour swim from the Crescent island to the Lion's Head island. Only the strongest swimmers leave the island.
- It is about an hour walk between the inner corner of the Eye to the closest part of the forehead
-It is about a 2 hour walk to circle the Eye
-It is about a 12 hour walk all the way across from Mainland facing edge of the mane to the tip of the nose
- The journey from the Lion's Head to the Mainland takes a week one way.

A2 (+150) wrote:
Explain where your pride calls home/rests within their territory. 200 words or 1 art piece minimum

A3 (+150) wrote:
What does your pride value above all else? 200 words or 1 art piece minimum

A4 (+150) wrote:
What allegiances does your pride have? (With npcs, rogues, other user prides, other creatures?) 200 words or 1 art piece minimum

A5 (+50) wrote:
Where did your pride’s name come from? 50 word minimum

Their name is simple. They have no real formal name, simply calling themselves the Lions of the Waves, for that is what they are. Lions who have been called by the sea and call it home, finding comfort in its cool embrace. The pride has often considered finding a true name, a single word like most other prides have. But they have found that they are already a legend, whispers of lions who move with the waves and hunt in the sea, swimming instead of running. "Lions of the waves," people whisper. It was these whispers that gave them their name. So far, they have found nothing that suites them better.

A6 (+100) wrote:
What sort of faith does your pride have? Do they have gods? 150 word minimum

The Waves believe in the Great Lion. It is the Great Lion who formed the world with his breath, and dug its oceans with his claws. He created life out of a strand of hair from his own mane, which is why every animal has a soul. He arranged the stars, creating a constellation in the shape of a lion so that every being would be able to look up and remember that he loves them. The Waves believe that the is wise and patient, and that he loves to listen to anyone who wants to talk to him. Sometimes he is silent, but sometimes he responds in a soft and gentle voice. Some lions are better at listening than others. Some lions believe that the Great Lion has the ability to take on a physical form to visit his creation, but others say that you can only meet the Great Lion in person once you have died.

A7 (+150) wrote:
What sort of hunting style does your pride employ to survive in their territory’s environment? 200 words or 1 art piece minimum

To survive on the archipelago, the Lions of the Waves have to be able to hunt in a variety of circumstances. Though there is some game on the islands, it isn't much, and they have to be careful not to over hunt the populations. They rely mainly on the sea for food. The sandy beaches are home to many clams and oysters, and cubs like to make a game of digging for them. Tide pools all around the island are home to crabs and lobsters, and these are some of the first animals that young lions learn to hunt. One has to be quick in order to catch a lobster without getting one's paws or nose pinched. Further out at sea are fish, which are the trickiest prey to catch. Fishing teams work together to catch them. Strong swimmers herd the fish towards the shallows, where other lions wait to snatch the fish out of the water. Sometimes, the lions will work together with pods of dolphins to fish, and share the catch.

A8 (+50) wrote:
What would be the emblem/symbol of your pride and why? 50 word minimum

A9 (+150) wrote:
What is your pride’s biggest threat? 200 words or 1 art piece minimum

A10 (+100) wrote:
What is your pride’s greatest strength, and greatest weakness? 50 word minimum EACH
Last edited by snapshot on Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:01 pm, edited 9 times in total.
snapshot

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

A11-A20

Postby snapshot » Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:34 am

A11 (+150) wrote:
How does your pride band together in the face of danger? 200 words or 1 art piece minimum

A12 (+150) wrote:
Your pride discovers something new and foriegn, how do they respond? 200 words or 1 art piece minimum

A13 (+100) wrote:
How does your pride regard the dead/their ancestors? Do they watch over them, are they angry spirits, or gone forever? 150 word minimum

A14 (+100) wrote:
What does your pride expect of their cubs? Do they expect them to grow up quickly? Become warriors? 150 word minimum

A15 (+100) wrote:
What sort of prey populates your pride’s territory? What sort of predators/threats? 150 word minimum

A16 (+100) wrote:
What sort of climate does your pride’s territory have? Do they have well defined seasons? Dry seasons? Rainy seasons? 150 word minimum

A17 (+150) wrote:
What is your pride’s greatest taboo?
200 words or 1 art piece minimum

A18 (+150) wrote:
What is your pride’s “coming of age” tradition?

A19 (+150) wrote:
What is your prides “Battle” tradition? War paint? A war dance? Prayers to a god for good luck?

A20 (+150) wrote:
How does your pride celebrate? What do they celebrate?
Last edited by snapshot on Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:09 pm, edited 4 times in total.
snapshot

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

A21-A30

Postby snapshot » Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:40 am

A21 (+150) wrote:
What kind of flora thrives in your pride’s territory? 200 words or 1 art piece (including at least 3 simple or 1 complex plant) minimum

A22 (+100) wrote:
Are there any illnesses common or native to your pride’s area? Seasonal flus? A historical ‘plague’, chills that come with winter?
150 word minimum

A23 (+100) wrote:
Has your pride ever come into contact with humankind? How would they respond if they did?
150 word minimum

A24 (+100) wrote:
Does your pride have any legends in their history or ‘historical heroes’ that they look up to in their past? Living or dead.
150 word minimum

A25 (+150) wrote:
How would your pride respond to a natural disaster(s)? Flood, earthquake, volcanic eruption, forest fire? (You can choose one or do multiple)

A26 (+100) wrote:
What is the biggest internal conflict within your pride? Fighting amongst each other? Illnesses? Lack of food?
150 word minimum

A27 (+100) wrote:
If backed into a corner, would your pride know when to retreat or stand their ground no matter what?
150 word minimum

A28 (+150) wrote:
What does your pride do for fun/to relax? Do they have games they’ve made up, tell stories,ect?

A29 (+100) wrote:
What does a lion’s roar mean to your pride, culturally? A sign of intimidation, victory, mourning?
150 word minimum

A30 (+100) wrote:
How are romantic relationships regarded in your pride? Are mateships permanent, do they have their own form of ‘marriage’, or just temporary flings? *Do remember to keep cs appropriate
150 word minimum

Romantic relationships are taken very seriously within this pride. They share a relatively small territory, so it is important that everyone gets along and is respectful of one another. Lions do not become mates on a whim. Nor do they simply 'date' as those in other prides may. In fact, these lions don't think much about romance at all until the Song calls them. The Song sounds different to each lion, and it is something that cannot truly be described or explained. It is considered to be a gift of the Great Lion that the Song exists. At some point in every lions' life, usually when they are still young cubs, there will be a Song that they start to hear in the world around them. This Song is said to represent their harmony with the world around them. In a sense, the Song describes the lion. Eventually, a day comes when the Song changes a bit. An extra few stanzas weave themselves into the Song, complimenting it and melding into it beautifully, yet still representing a different Song. The moment when these new stanzas appear is said to be the Call of the Song. Those other pieces are pieces of another lion's Song. It is then up to each lion to pay close attention to the world around them, to try to find the lion to whom the new Song belongs to. The way the waves crash over a lion as he fishes, the way the wind sweeps through the leaves as she hunts, the way the birds chirp when they hop around their paws, even a lion's laugh. All these can contain bits of the Song. Even without the Song though, the lions seem to be able to sense who their mate will be. It is something they just seem to know, and the Song confirms it. Some would call them soulmates. The Lions of the Waves mate for life, standing by their partner's side through thick and thin. When disagreements erupt that seem unsolvable, the rest of the pride comes together to help the couple work it out.
Last edited by snapshot on Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:26 pm, edited 4 times in total.
snapshot

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

A31-A36

Postby snapshot » Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:41 am

A31 (+200) wrote:
Is magic present/available to your pride; if so what are the restrictions, what is it capable of, or what role does it play in your story/world
300 word minimum

A32 (+100) wrote:
Do your lions/pride have any sort of tool or objects they use to help them perform their tasks? Did they make it themselves, or find it? What is it used for?
150 word minimum

A33 (+100) wrote:
Are there any local species/groups/animals they live in harmony with? Do they understand their language or just have a mutual respect?
150 word minimum

The lions live in harmony with groups on land and in the sea. On land, they share their territory with flocks of parrots. Since the lions hunt animals that could prey on the parrots or the parrots' eggs, the territory is a safe place for the parrots to reproduce. The parrots are also excellent lookouts, and will warn the lions when something unusual appears. They will also go get help if a lion is ever injured alone, or if a cub manages to get lost or stuck. The parrots have learned to mimic some of the lions' vocalizations, and so communicate in the choppy sort of way that someone who is a beginner in another language communicates.

At sea, the lions occasionally hunt together with pods of dolphins. The dolphins will drive fish into the shallows, where the lions will catch them. The lions always share the catch fairly with the dolphins, bringing dead fish out deeper where the dolphins can swim safely. Both parties benefit greatly from this arrangement, each expending less energy during the hunt than they would otherwise need to. If a dolphin were to become beached, the lions would rush to its aid. If a lion were to become injured or fatigued in the water, the dolphins would carry it to safety. The two species don't speak the same language, but they have learned how to communicate through various vocalizations and noises so that they can cooperate. Together, they have created a sort of new common language that they share.

A34 (+75) wrote:
Are there any local plants that are poisonous or dangerous to the touch? How do the lions avoid them? Is the affliction curable? 100 word minimum

A35 (+75) wrote:
What does the moon represent to your pride? Is it just the moon, or does it have deeper significance? 100 word minimum

To the Waves, the moon is of great importance. It is the moon which controls the tides, raising them up and bringing them low, allowing the lions to cross the sandbar to the mainland or surrounding them in the ocean's safe embrace. It dots the night sea with diamonds, and leaves a long illuminated reflection called the Moon's Path. It is said that when a lion dies at night, their soul leaves their body and begins a long walk across the water, following the Moon's Path. At the end of the Path is the entrance to the territory of the Great Lion.

A36 (+75) wrote:
What does the Sun represent to your pride? Is it just the Sun, or does it have deeper significance? 100 word minimum

The sun is also highly regarded. It also participates in controlling the tides. When the sun and the moon work together, creating the highest and lowest tides of the month, the pride celebrates with competitions of speed and stamina. They race along the waters edge on the far reaches of the beach that are not usually revealed, and they have a swimming contest to see who can swim the farthest out to see. Beyond this though, the sun is revered for being a life giver. Without the sun, there would be no life. There would be no plants, and no animals to eat the plants, and therefore no prey for the pride to hunt.
snapshot

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

E5

Postby snapshot » Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:57 pm

E5: A new cub was found straggling about in the wilderness, how did your lions find them and what do they do with it?
700 word minimum

E5: A new cub was found straggling about in the wilderness, how did your lions find them and what do they do with it?
700 word minimum

Left to Die

1/23/2020

Evening sunlight glinted off the calm sea as Mar pulled himself up onto the shore. He had been swimming for hours over the course of the last few days as he made his way from the Lion's Head to the mainland. He was in no rush, since he had no one but himself to look after, and though he was an exceptional swimmer he did like to space out the lengthier stretches and mix in time to explore the islands that dotted the vast expanse of sea that guarded the Lion's Head. He wanted to learn every inch of his territory. After all, it would someday be home to a large pride, of which he would be Founder and King.
It didn't bother him that he was still a lone lion. The others would find him. He could feel it. Those who are born with sea spray in their manes and sand between their paw pads have an indescribable urge to go to the sea. It calls to its children, and they must obey. That is how he ended up with this territory, so hard to reach by all but the best of swimmers. Besides, the land never felt like home, and the lions that love the land are not kind to those who are so odd as to love the sea. Still, he had to return to the mainland sometimes, whether to hunt supplemental game or to patrol the shore and see who was around. If the sea called any lions to her edge, Mar wanted to be there to find and lead them home to the Lion's Head.
Mar shook himself, salty droplets flying from his fur in every direction. He then stretched, and walked a few paces, getting his body used to supporting his weight on the land. All he had to do now was wait an hour or so for the tide to be low, and then he could cross the sandbar that connected this small rocky area to the mainland. After some more stretching, he climbed up over the smaller rocks and made his way up onto a large flat boulder out of the reach of the crashing waves. The boulder was warm, and the lion stretched out on it, letting the warmth seep up into his tired muscles as the sun dried his back.
"Mew"
Mar cracked open his eyes. He'd dozed off in the sun.
"Mew"
Fully awake now, the lion lifted his head. The noise was so soft, he almost thought he had imagined it. It sounded a lot like a-
"Mew"
Yes, ok, that was definitely a cub's soft call. Mar stood, scanning the rocks, ears swiveling and nose sniffing the air. What was a cub doing out here? He emitted a low chuff of his own, calling to this mystery cub. All was silent for a while, long enough that he again began to question whether he had heard the noise. But then, a little louder,
"Mew"
Mar climbed off his platform, grunting again. He searched the rocks, pausing every now and then to listen for the cry. It seemed to be coming from the right. He climbed over jagged edges, carefully navigating the slippery seaweed that covered the rocks within the intertidal zone.
Finally, he found it. Cowering between two sharp rocks, tangled in a pile of wet sea weed, was a tiny blue-grey cub. It was soaked, and covered with cuts. Flies buzzed around it. It looked up at Mar with wide, scared eyes, its whole body shaking violently from cold and fear.
"Hello little one," he murmured, crouching down as best he could on the rocks, "how did you end up out here?"
"Mew"
He snuffled his nose closer. Poor thing. He needed to pick it up, but he wasn't sure his muzzle would be able to fit between the rocks. And he didn't want to scare it and cause it to hurt itself more.
"Can you come a little closer?"
The cub simply stared at him. Sighing, Mar stood, and reached one of his paws into the gap. The cub squeaked fearfully, but Mar managed to scoot it towards a wider opening. Then, he bent down and gently grasped its tiny body in his mouth. It was too small still to be carried by the ruff of its neck. It squeaked again, this time in pain from it's injuries, but stayed still as Mar carried it up onto the flat boulder. There, he lay down, and placed the cub between his paws. He began to lick it clean, gently, the taste of salt and blood filling his mouth.
As he cleaned the cub, he made note of a couple of things. First, the cub was a male, though this he had been able to tell by scent. Second, the cub was very, very young. It probably couldn't even eat meat yet, and that would significantly impact its odds of survival. There were no lionesses around to feed it milk. Perhaps it was a runt, and older than it looked. He certainly hoped so. Third, its front paws were deformed. Instead of the normal narrow paws, with toes close together, its toes were splayed wide, creating awkward oval paws. Mar wasn't sure how well it would be able to walk on such paws.
Mar sighed again, casting a glance toward the mainland. He suspected that some pride had abandoned this cub here to die after noticing its misshapen paws. Judging by its injuries, it had tried to climb down the rocks and follow its pride home, and clearly not succeeded.
Now, Mar himself had to figure out what to do with the cub. He could bring it back to the Lion's Head, but that would require a lot of swimming while trying to hold the cub out of the water. It was already weak, so that was probably not a good idea. He could bring it with him to the mainland, but there he would risk more predators and also rival lions. He could also stay on one of the smaller islands in the chain for a while until the cub either died or grew strong.
He decided the third option was best. After cleaning and drying the cub, he took it in his mouth again and waded into the sea.

===============================================================================================================================

A Sister for Avu

2/28/2020

"Ada, when will we go on the long swim?"

"Soon," Mar replied.

The teen huffed. "But WHEN is soon? You've been saying soon for the past week!"

"Patience Avu. We will go once I have spoken to Katara and Nuria, and once it is certain that we will not be needed for a while. The swim to the sandbar and back is many days."

"Well, why couldn't I just go with Nuria on her last patrol then?"

Mar sighed. "You are still young, Avu, and though I trust Nuria she does not know the sea as well as I do. You will go with her on other patrols, but for your first, I will teach you. But you must be patient a little longer."

"Fine."

Avu ventured down to the tidepools, wading in the deeper ones. When he was small, he used to be able to swim in these pools, but now they reached only up to his shoulders. He looked up over the rocks, out at the great expanse of the sea. Gosh, he wanted so badly to go swimming out there, to play with the dolphins and dive in the waves. To make the long swim from island to island, all the way back to the sandbar, and to see the mainland for the first time. His paws were better at swimming than at walking, and he felt more at home in the water than anywhere else. If only his father would hurry up...

"Avu!"

Avu turned, to see his dad standing on the shore, smiling.

"It's time to go."

"YES!" Avu bounded out of the tidepools and up onto the rocky beach.

"Alright, first lesson," Mar began as they walked around to a different spot on the shoreline. "The tides. You know all about them, but it is extra important to be careful when preparing a long swim, lest you be swept out to sea. Now..."

Mar taught his son how to feel the current, how to feel the wind, how to listen to the whispers of the sea itself. As they swam, he taught the teen how to tread water when he got tired, and how to recover if a current pulled him out of line. Avu listened and absorbed the information eagerly. It felt so good to be in the deep, to be swimming for so long. He could hear the playful laughter of the sea too, as it welcomed and encouraged him.

The trip was long, and Avu grew tired faster than Mar did, so they rested a lot longer than Mar would have if he was by himself. But the king didn't mind. He was proud of his son, and seeing the joy in the teen's face made the older lion smile too. He thanked the Great Lion once again for leading him to the rocks at just the right time. It seemed like yesterday but also like years ago that he had found the tiny, struggling cub on the rocks near the sandbar. Since then, Avu had grown so much, and the boy had such energy and curiosity and joy in him. It still made Mar angry to think that someone had abandoned the cub just for having deformed paws. But, he supposed it was a blessing in a way, because it hurt Avu to walk for too long on the land, but he could swim all day long. In any other pride he would have struggled, but here he was right at home.

"Ada," Avu's voice broke Mar out of his thoughts, "what's that?"

Mar walked over to stand beside Avu, looking out at the sea to where the teen was looking. "Those are dolphins."

Avu frowned. "But they're acting weird. Why are they all circling together?"

Now that he mentioned it, Mar could see that the dolphins seemed to be acting strange, and if he listened closely he could hear their worried calls. The sea urged Mar to go investigate.

"Stay here Avu. I'm going to go see what is going on."

"But I want to come!"

"Stay." Mar ordered, giving the teen a sharp look. "It could be dangerous, I don't want you to get hurt."

The teen sighed, but sat down in the sand to wait. Mar waded out into the water, swimming towards the dolphins. As he drew nearer, he could see that one dolphin seemed to have something on it's back.

A cub.

Mar's heart rate quickened, and he swam a little faster. The distressed dolphins moved out of his way as he approached. Yes indeed, lying still on one dolphin's back was a soaked cub.

"Is it ok?" Mar asked. He could see that it was breathing, but that didn't mean much.

"She's cold and weak," said one of the dolphins, "but I don't think she's sick. Yet."

"Thank the Great Lion. Where did you find her?"

"She was clinging to a floating branch. We don't know how long she was there, or where she came from."

Floating on a branch? She could have come from anywhere. She might have been abandoned on a beach, or she may have tumbled from a small cliff. Who knew. "Thank you for helping her. I'll take her with me."

Mar reached up and gently took the cub in his mouth. Then, he turned and swam back to shore as quickly as he could.

Avu stood when he saw Mar approaching. His eyes widened. "Ada, is that a cub?"

Mar didn't answer, going straight to a large, sun-warmed rock to lie down. He placed the shivering cub on his paws and began to clean it. This part felt familiar, and Mar thought back to when he had done the same for Avu. This cub was much larger though, older than Avu had been. If Avu had survived at so young an age, hopefully she would too, being a little bigger and a little stronger. But who knew, she might have been at sea for a long time before the dolphins found her. She could still get sick, and she could still die.

Avu sat down beside his father, watching with a worried look. "Will she be ok?"

"We will see," Mar said, continuing to lick the cub.

Eventually, she stopped shaking, and warmth seemed to return to her small body. She relaxed on Mar's paws, and seemed to sleep a little more peacefully. A few minutes later, she stirred, eyes slowly blinking open.

"Hello little one," Mar said softly.

The cub looked up at him, then at Avu, then up at Mar. "Are you gonna eat me?"

Avu snorted. "Of course not."

That seemed to be all the reassurance she needed. Her eyelids started to droop again. "Kay. 'M tired."

"I'm sure you are," Mar said. "Go ahead and sleep little one. You're safe with us."

===============================================================================================================================

Nuria's Daughter

3/28/2020

Distance Patrol was a job that was never boring for Nuria. Some lions found the job to be too stressful, since it meant spending days at a time away from the rest of the pride. But the lioness didn't mind. As a Distance Patrol member, she was the first lion a wanderer would encounter. It was she who first heard their stories, and it was she who made the first judgement. It was she who would either lead the visitor back to the Lion's Head Island, to the home of the pride, to be presented to King Mar, or send them on their way, warned not to trespass again.

So far, there had been few lions that had braved the sea to set foot in the territory of the Lions of the Waves. Only two, actually. One who had come brokenhearted and abandoned, looking for lions who would accept them. And one who had been lead by the Great Lion. Both had been accepted, of course. Nuria could tell that their intentions were honest.

Today was the last day of the outward stretch. After making a sweep of the last small island and then the sandbar, Nuria would turn around and begin the journey back to the Lion's Head, where she would trade off with Avu. She smiled fondly at the thought. The young teenager she had first met when she joined Mar's pride had grown into such a wonderful young lion. Full of energy as always, but he was intelligent and responsible. A fine prince. She thanked the Great Lion that Mar had found the cub when he did. Had Mar not been there, Avu would have died on the rocks, and the world would be without a his bright spirit.

Because Mar had found his two children as abandoned cubs left at the mercy of the sea, Nuria was always extra watchful when she got to this point in the patrol. It had happened not once, but twice. That was no accident. For whatever reason, lions were abandoning their unwanted cubs. Nuria couldn't imagine how cold someone's heart would have to be to abandon a child like that.

The lioness finished her loop of the last island and slipped into the sea, and began to swim towards the sandbar. As she approached, she saw a figure standing at the edge of the water. A lioness. Nuria made a friendly rumbling sound in her throat, to alert the stranger of her approach.

"Good afternoon," Nuria greeted as she climbed onto the rocks at the end of the sandbar. She could see now that the lioness held a cub in her mouth, and Nuria grew tense. Was this lioness here to abandon her cub?

The lioness eyed her warily, and placed the cub down gently so that she could speak. "Who are you?"

"My name is Nuria, I am from the pride of the Lions of the Waves. This is our land," Nuria said. "Who are you? What brings you here?"

"I-" the lioness paused, and looked back over her shoulder, towards the cliffs at the far end of the sandbar. She seemed very young, and she was shaking slightly. "Please," she said, turning back to face Nuria, "please take her. They'll kill her otherwise."

Nuria was taken aback. "What? Who will kill her? Why?"

"The pride. She was born under a full moon, so they believe that she's cursed, that she will bring trouble to the pride. And her mother died birthing her, so that's a double curse. The Law states that after weaning, she has to be killed. But I can't-" she started to shake more, and tears welled up in her eyes, "I can't kill her, and I can't leave her. Please take her."

Nuria looked down at the cub sitting between the lioness's paws. She understood all that they were saying, of course, and there was fear in her beautiful little eyes. "Of course I'll take her," Nuria said. "My King has two adopted children, both were found abandoned. She will be well loved in my pride."

"Thank you, thank you so much."

"Do you want to come too?" Nuria asked, "Our pride is open to all who are seeking refuge."

"No," the lioness shook her head. "No, I couldn't leave. I couldn't leave my mother and sisters and friends."

"Alright. If you ever change your mind, come back here. Someone will find you eventually, and lead you to our home."

"Thank you. I have to go now. Take care of her."

"I will."

The lioness left, and Nuria looked at the cub. "Come, little one. I will bring you home."

It was slow going, returning to the Lion's Head. The cub was old enough to be weaned, so she was old enough to be full of energy and curiosity. Once she got over her initial shyness, she was just like any other cub.

"Nuria," the cub asked one night, as they were lying on the grass at the edge of the beach looking up at the stars, "When will I have a name?" No name had been given by the lioness, and when Nuria had asked about it, the cub has said she hadn't been given a name.

"Well," Nuria said, "King Mar will probably name you."

"Is that how you got your name?"

The lioness laughed. "No, my mother named me."

"Oh. But, King Mar isn't a mother, right?"

That earned another chuckle. "No child, he is a father."

"Well then, why don't you name me? You're like a mother."

Nuria froze. She, a mother? It was a bit of an odd concept, given that she had no mate and no cubs. But... she couldn't deny that she had grown fond of this little cub. And she had, in brief moments when she watched the child play, toyed with the idea of asking Mar if she could raise the cub.

"Would you like me to name you?"

"Yes, please!" The cub eagerly hopped up onto her feet. "Yes!"

"Alright then," Nuria smiled, "Let me think a moment."

She looked up at the night sky, at the stars and the moon. The cub's pride had thought she was cursed because she was born under a full moon, but in this pride, it was considered a blessing. The full moon has the strongest pull on the tides, raising them up where they usually can't reach and bringing them out to reveal sand that is seldom seen. The full moon also leads the souls of lions who have passed away to the home of the Great Lion, where they will live in peace for eternity.

"Lua," Nuria whispered the name. She looked back at the cub, who was now sitting in front of her, excitement written all over her face. Yes, that was perfect. "Lua," Nuria said again, louder. "That will be your name. It means moon, and you are one of the lucky children to be born under the strongest phase of the moon."

"Lua," the cub said, testing the word. A smile lit up her face. "I like it!"

"I'm glad," Nuria chuckled. "And now, Little Lua, it is time for you to sleep."

"Awww. Ok." Lua curled up against Nuria's side. "G'night Nuria."

"Good night my little Moon."

Yes, this cub was definitely hers.

Nuria's Daughter Part 2

4/26/2020

"Nuria."

"Yes child?"

The pair were almost back to the Lion's Head. All that remained was the Long Swim, and before they crossed that they would stay here for a day to gather their strength. Over the course of the week, Nuria had grown quite fond of the energetic cub, and her resolve strengthened to ask Mar to keep it as her own.

"Are we almost to your home?"

"It is your home too now, and yes."

"Will my sister be there?"

Nuria froze in her cleaning of the travel den that had been built on this island. "What?"

"My twin sister. They took her away too. Will she meet us there?"

The cub had a twin sister? Oh no. The lioness at the jetty had only spoken about this one cub, but if there was another, there was no doubt it had been taken away to be killed just like the lioness was supposed to kill Lua. It had been several days already since meeting that lioness, so if the cubs were taken at the same time, chances were that it was too late.

Nuria looked at the little cub, eyes bright and hopeful as she looked to Nuria for an answer. She couldn't tell little Lua that her sister was probably dead. But what was she supposed to say?

"I don't know if she will be there," Nuria said, "She might be, or might not. It is very hard for lions to get to the Lion's Head Island that we call home. It is more likely that she is somewhere else, not there." The lioness didn't want to lie and give Lua hope, but she also didn't want to upset her. She would figure out the most probable truth when she was older and understood more of the world. For now, it would be fine to let her hold on to a tiny bit of hope without getting too set on the idea.

"I hope she's there," Lua said, "then you can be both of our mother."

Nuria's heart ached a little at that. At the optimism and innocence of this cub. "I hope she is too."

When the den was cleared, Lua came and curled into Nuria's side, giving a tiny yawn. She was soon fast asleep, her small nose making a little whistling sound. Nuria looked up at the treetops, at the stars she could just barely see through the canopy. The stars she had looked at a few nights ago when naming this child.

Please, Ada, she prayed to the Great Lion, By some miracle of your paws, bring that other cub to me.

The next morning, Lua was full of energy as always, and eager to go on the Long Swim. She chattered away while Nuria stretched and did some warm-up swimming. She built castles in the sand and chased crabs around, never focusing on one activity for more than a few moments.

"Alright child. Are you ready?"

"Yes!"

Nuria smiled. "Ok. You will stay on my back while I swim like always, ok? You must hold on very tight to my fur, do not let go. It will be a very long swim, and it will probably be boring, even more boring than the other swims."

Lua wrinkled her nose at that, but nodded. "I'll hold on the most tightest I can."

"Good. Now-"

SCREEE!

A giant hawk swooped towards the beach. Nuria leapt over Lua, standing over the cub protectively. A hawk would easily eat a little cub. She snarled at the hawk, which rose back up into the air, and then landed on the beach a few paces away. It stood there in the sand, watching her. It hopped a few hops away, then turned to look at her.

Nuria frowned, eyeing the bird warily. What was it doing?

The hawk continued it's odd behavior for another few moments, then seemed to give up. It took off, flying into the jungled part of the island.

Nuria watched the trees for signs of the hawk's return, not wanting it to come back and scoop up Lua when she wasn't watching. Sure enough, it came out of the jungle again, this time holding something in it's talons.

Nuria's heart stopped. Was that a cub??

The hawk dove down towards the beach, pulling up just before the ground, where it hovered for a moment flapping it's wings and kicking up a lot of sand. It opened its talons, dropping the bundle.

SCREEE! it said again, before turning and flying away.

Lua dashed out from between Nuria's paws. "Sissy!"

The lioness couldn't believe it. Here was Lua's twin, looking shaken but healthy. Thank you Ada.

The cubs certainly looked alike. Nuria approached slowly, not wanting to scare the second cub.

"Look sissy, this is Nuria, she's our new Ama."

"Hello little one."

The cub eyed her warily. "Hi."

Well, it looked like Nuria had two daughters now.
Last edited by snapshot on Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:52 am, edited 8 times in total.
snapshot

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

S7 || Mar's theme song

Postby snapshot » Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:40 am

S7
✎❂
Choose a song, and write or draw an in-depth breakdown of how it applies to your lion and their life, story, relationship,ect . You can break it up by lines, sections, ect

500 words / 3 art pieces = 2 points
750 words/4 art pieces = 3 points
1000 words/5 art pieces = 4 points

*The lyrics themselves do NOT count towards the word count, only the writing you wrote for it

Mar's Theme Song
1183 words - 4 points

I've been staring at the edge of the water
'Long as I can remember, never really knowing why

Some of Mar's earliest memories are of standing just beyond the reach of the sea, mesmerized, watching the water crawl across the sand. Watching it lap around his ankles, even when he was just barely big enough to stand. He remembers splashing in the shallows of the ocean, nipping at the edges of the waves, and rolling in seafoam. Chasing the outgoing tide as far as it went, and then racing it back as high as it could reach. He felt drawn to it, captivated by it. He couldn't explain it. He still couldn't, even today, if you were to ask him why he was so enthralled by the ocean.

I wish I could be the perfect daughterson
But I come back to the water, no matter how hard I try
Every turn I take, every trail I track
Every path I make, every road leads back
To the place I know, where I can not go, where I long to be

Without fail, his parents always found him and took him back to the grasslands to be with the rest of his pride. They would scold him for wandering off, especially down to the sea, which was not where lions belonged. But no matter how much they scolded, no matter how many times he was grounded, he always found himself back on the beach. He just couldn't stay away for long. And it seemed the universe wanted him there too. When he was a teen, learning to hunt, he somehow always found himself chasing prey along the edge of the cliffs, and getting distracted by the light dancing on the ocean. When he was learning how to patrol, his group was often the one to patrol the beach. It felt almost like teasing at times, bringing him so close to what he wasn't supposed to touch.

See the line where the sky meets the sea? It calls me
And no one knows, how far it goes
If the wind in my sail on the sea stays behind me
One day I'll know, if I go there's just no telling how far I'll go

But he just couldn’t stay away.

Do you see it? The edge of the horizon, the way the water kisses the sky. See the sparkling of the sun dancing along the surface. And it’s infinite. No matter how far you swim, it is always out of reach. But it’s there, it’s waiting, it’s calling. The waves laugh as they leap and play, stirred up by the wind.

I know everybody on this island, seems so happy on this island
Everything is by design
I know everybody on this island has a role on this island
So maybe I can roll with mine

Every time he wandered off, he would return to the whispers of the other lions. That Mar, so silly, always off playing with the waves. They would tease him about it. A lion belongs on the savannah, not in the water. They were all content to stay on dry land. To sunbathe on a fallen log, to run through the tall grasses, to roll in the dirt.

“Come on Mar, we’re gonna go mouse hunting. Whoever catches the most gets first pick of the soft things Mira found for the dens.”

A young Mar looked at the other teens, then off towards the savannah beyond them. A light breeze stirred his short mane, carrying with it the scent of salt. “I, I think I’ll pass this time. Thank you though.”

“Ugh, you ALWAYS say that,” Orin complained. “You never come play games with us.”

“He’s probably gonna run down to the beach,” Mira said, “Go play with the waves or something.”

Mar flushed. “Well, I-“

Niko wrinkled his nose. “Seriously? What kind of lion are you anyway? Lions live, on the LAND. Lions hunt, on the LAND. Have you even caught anything lately on the hunts? Or do you get distracted by the smell of seaweed wafting up from the cliffs?”

Mar flushed harder. “Ok, ok. I’ll come.”

I can lead with pride, I can make us strong
I'll be satisfied if I play along
But the voice inside sings a different song
What is wrong with me?

They were right, after all. Lions DO belong on the land. They’re land creatures. And he would have to learn to accept that.

“Someday you’ll leave this pride and lead your own,” Mar’s father had told him, many times. “You must learn how to lead. You must learn how to hunt. You must learn how to stake out a good territory, and how to defend your territory against intruders.”

He was right. But, it didn’t feel right. Because even when he tried to be a proper lion, he could feel the pull of the sea.

See the light as it shines on the sea? It's blinding
But no one knows, how deep it goes
And it seems like it's calling out to me, so come find me
And let me know, what's beyond that line, will I cross that line?

The line where the sky meets the sea? It calls me
And no one knows, how far it goes
If the wind in my sail on the sea stays behind me
One day I'll know, how far I'll go

He sat on the beach one night, under a full moon, feeling the breeze ruffle his growing mane and listening to the waves crash on the shore. This, this felt right. Mar stood, hopped off his rock, and walked towards the water. It was so beautiful, in the moonlight. The world was calm, but somehow, the water was as joyous as ever. The teen found himself wading in, and then swimming. The water almost seemed to part for him as he swam, wrapping around his body like a perfect blanket. A laugh bubbled up in his throat, and he dove, down, down to the sand, and then pushed off and sprang back up to the surface, erupting up out of the sea and splashing back down.

“Woo hoo!”

The sea laughed along with him. He could hear it loud and clear. Little whitecaps lapped at him, and he swatted at them, and kept swimming farther and farther from shore.

This, this was home. Out here, in the water, this was where he belonged. And oh, it felt so good, the chill of the water soaking his fur, and the breeze tickling his ears. The burn in his muscles as he pushed farther. And the moonlight dancing on the water was so, so beautiful. He ducked under the surface again, ignoring the sting of the salt in his eyes. Below, he could just barely see schools of fish swimming along.

What a wonderful world the sea was.

In that moment, laughing and playing with the sea, Mar knew that he was not meant to stay on the land. Though he was a lion, the sea felt like home. And that was ok. He was different, for sure. The others didn’t understand. And if he told them about this night, they would laugh and call him crazy. But the ocean was his friend, and it spoke to him and laughed with him and looked out for him. When he was a cub, it had whispered not to play in areas where the riptides were, lest he be swept away and drowned. This friendship he had with the sea was not something anyone else seemed able to understand, and you know what, that was ok. But he wouldn’t pretend anymore. He wouldn’t try to be someone he wasn’t. He wouldn’t try to be a perfect lion. He was Mar, his very name meant sea, and he was a lion of the waves.

From that day, he did not hide when he went to visit the water. When it was his turn to hunt, he brought back fish, something the pride had never eaten before. He started swimming daily, growing stronger and swifter and learning how to navigate the different tides and currents. The others continued to believe he was a complete weirdo, but he didn’t care anymore. He was happy. And someday, when he did leave, he would start his pride by the shore. There had to be other lions out there like him, and surely, they would find their way to each other. His children would grow up playing in the water. They would eat fish, and they would be as formidable in the water as they were on land. His pride, like him, would be lions of the waves.
Last edited by snapshot on Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
snapshot

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

S7 || Avu's Theme Song

Postby snapshot » Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:23 pm

Avu's Theme Song
525 words - 2 points

"The seaweed is always greener
In somebody else's lake
Just look at the world around you
Right here on the ocean floor
Such wonderful things surround you
What more is you lookin' for?

Under the sea
Under the sea
Darling it's better
Down where it's wetter
Take it from me

Even the sturgeon an' the ray
They get the urge 'n' start to play
We got the spirit
You got to hear it
Under the sea."

words
photo here

Under the Sea is a song that speaks to Avu's childlike soul. Like his adopted father, Avu is completely in love with the ocean. He loves to splash in the waves and swim with the dolphins, to dance in the shallows and to explore the reefs.

On a couple of occasions, Avu has been asked by his pridemates if he has any desire to explore the mainland. Since he was raised on the islands from a very young age, he has no memory of the mainland. Everyone else in the pride has come from the mainland, come from prides in the vast savannas, but not Avu. Or at least, not that he remembers. He is the first son of the Waves. His answer to that question is always an honest no. He doesn't have any urge to explore the mainland that he has never seen. He is perfectly content here with the ocean on all sides. More than content. He is full of joy. He hears whispers sometimes from those who have joined the pride, whispers of missing their old home. He has listened to stories of huge animals he has never seen, spotted giraffes and graceful elephants. And while these stories spark wonder, they don't spark longing. People are often unhappy with what they have, but not Avu. He sees everything in life as a gift, and he is content with his lot no matter what it is. But especially since his lot is so good. Just look around. How could anyone be unhappy here? The ocean is filled with such beauty, and the prince is captivated by it. Avu will follow a school of colorful fish as far as he can, and then see another school and follow that one. He hardly sits still, unless he has been captivated by some aspect of the ocean. He has occasionally been found simply staring at a single sea star for an hour at a time, taking in it's unique shape and texture.

Usually though, he doesn't sit still. He dances by the edge of the water, and dances in the water, out in the deep. The ocean has a song, and Avu can hear it clearly, and has to dance. He swims alongside stingrays, floating along with their graceful movements. He plays with the dolphins, tossing a sea sponge back and forth or playing keep-away with a fragment of coral. He rides on the backs of huge whales, carefully balancing on their backs, gripping the barnacles that have grown there. He even swims with sharks sometimes, a creature that is very misunderstood.

If given the choice between spending time on the land and spending time in the sea, Avu will chose the sea every time. It's just so wonderful, how can he not? But there is a practical side to this too. Avu was born with deformed paws, which makes walking painful after too long. But, those same paws are perfect for swimming. Avu has become the best swimmer in the pride, surpassing even his father Mar. He was made for the sea, and the sea loves him as much as he loves it.
snapshot

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Planning page

Postby snapshot » Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:14 am

Avu and Katara planning

- Avu watching Katara draw in the sand, or drawing with her
- Avu and Katara playing in the waves
- Walk in the woods, noticing and describing little things
snapshot

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

MYO planning

Postby snapshot » Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:03 pm

MYO planning

ImageImage
Last edited by snapshot on Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.

||snapshot||they/them||
snapshot

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me