ash's story archive ☾

Are you a writer or a poet? Come and share your creations with us, or discuss writing techniques with others
Forum rules
Please only post your own original work, do not post poetry or stories which were written by someone else.

ash's story archive ☾

Postby Guest » Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:42 pm

𝕒𝕤𝕙'𝕤 𝕤𝕥𝕠𝕣𝕪 𝕒𝕣𝕔𝕙𝕚𝕧𝕖 ☾

➳ Hi! I'm Ashton, your local nonbinary hobbyist writer. I figured I'd post some of my works and see how people reacted, so here is my story archive. Below is the beginnings of an index. Expect short stories, mostly, some original works and some fanfiction. Each story will be labeled with the word count, genre, fandom if applicable, and so on and so forth.

➳ Feel free to add any comments or constructive criticisms! I love to hear feedback.

𝕚𝕟𝕕𝕖𝕩

They're Real (You're Not) / Soft Sci-Fi / 5302 words / Original Work

Autonomous Heart / Soft Sci-fi / 5420 words / Original Work

Wake Up Girl, You've Been Here Too Long | Autonomous Heart Part 2 / Soft Sci-fi / 4360 words / Original Work

Last edited by Guest on Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.

They're Real (You're Not)

Postby Guest » Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:47 pm

They're Real (You're Not]
by Ashton C.
5302 words, soft sci-fi, original work

..............I was surrounded by warmth. All around me, a comforting pressure that I snuggled further into, hands wrapped in the fabric wrapped cozily around me. I was a caterpillar wrapped in its cocoon in the warmth of spring. I had no intention of removing myself, however, because unlike a caterpillar I would not be as beautiful as a butterfly when I emerged. My thick, red hair tickled my nose. I blew air up my face, my lips angled awkwardly in an attempt to move the strands. No luck.

..............“Anne.” I heard, and groaned obnoxiously. I tangled my hands further into the comforter, hiding under the numerous blankets layered over me. I breathed in the hot, thick air of the world underneath the covers for a few moments before it became too uncomfortable and finally poked my head out of my heaven. “It’s time to get up, Annie.” LORE said, their voice echoing in the empty house. I breathed a long sigh. LORE chuckled. LORE, or Logical Online Reasoning Entity, was the artificial intelligence that guided me through my daily life. They controlled everything, from the straightener to the security system, and thank God they did. Far too many times had I left the house with the straightener on. If not for LORE, I’d have no house.

..............I sat myself up, adjusting my hearing aids as I ran my hands through my tangled mane of wild, untamable hair. As much as I hated to leave my soft, warm, welcoming bed, I had things to do. Work to do. From home, of course, as most people did nowadays, but it was still work nonetheless. Mentally I ticked off boxes in my checklist as I slid from bed, yelping in surprise as my bare feet grazed the freezing cold floor.

..............“My apologies, Annie.” LORE said. There was a quiet hum from the floor, and after a moment, I placed my feet back on the polished tile and let out a content sigh. Not as great as my bed, but at least the floor wasn’t trying to give me frostbite anymore. I grinned up at one of the cameras LORE was watching from.

..............“Thanks!” I chirped, and padded over to my closet. The doors slid open, another courtesy of LORE’s, the hologram of my clothes spinning in a lazy circle. Beside it, my calendar formed into existence, pixels rearranging every so often to display different forms of the date. The month fizzled into an enlarged version of my day, notes scrolling across the top of the hologram that I’d had LORE take down the night before. As I idly scrolled through my outfit choices, LORE began to highlight key parts of my schedule.

..............“Your first appointment is with Ian Chell at nine o’clock, scheduled to last until ten o’clock. Afterwards you’ve put down a possible half an hour check-in with Emile Bennett, which you have noted is for a general checklist run-through before considering possibly seeing him less often. Then you have Andre at eleven--”

..............“I wish he wouldn’t do that.” I interrupted, frowning. I tapped my choices of clothes and watched as the teal tiles making up the walls of the closet shuffled themselves around, moving under and over and all around each other until robotic hands gently lifted my clothes from their respective shelves. “He doesn’t want to stop seeing me. Awkwardly enough, LORE, I do believe he’s got some sort of crush on me, and the only way I let him speak to me is through our professional appointments.” LORE hummed sympathetically.

..............“Perhaps you should stop allowing him to continue scheduling appointments with you, then?” They offered. I huffed at the sarcasm I heard laced in their voice. I grappled with my clingy tank-top for a moment, struggling and grunting as I tried to throw the fabric off before emerging victorious, but with my hair an even further mess. I clicked my tongue as I buttoned up my shirt, smoothing out the wrinkles. A chair rolled my way and settled behind me, allowing me to slip out of my sweatpants and into my jeans and socks.

..............“It would be unprofessional.” I replied, zipping my silver boots up with minimal difficulty. I struggled for a moment when the zipper of my left shoe caught in the fabric of my dark cyan pants, but freed it. Every day was an exhausting battle of looking good. LORE, controlling the mobile chair, wheeled me over to the vanity where I scowled at my messy reflection. Robotic hands emerged from several spots on the vanity and chair, one reaching for a brush and the others reaching for makeup. It used to feel impersonal, letting a machine do everything I could by hand, but I knew it was LORE, and LORE was my friend.

..............As they brushed my hair, I rubbed at my eyes, scrubbing the sleep from them. I patted my cheeks to wake myself up. “All I really have is a suspicion, honest. He does talk about problems genuinely affecting him. But it’s not a way to bond with me-- he knows nothing about me, really.” I opened my eyes as wide as I could so LORE could apply my mascara. They were precise. I had no worry over them poking me in the eye. LORE hesitated for a moment, withdrawing their robotic limbs once they finished. I marveled at my reflection, grinning cheekily from ear to ear. They really knew how to make me look good. My hair didn’t even look frizzy; it shone under the lights with a fiery glow, fierce as I felt. The limbs slid back into their places, the chair sliding away to let me stand and stretch.

..............“I could help.” LORE said. I peered up at their camera on the vanity, meeting the soothing green of their eye. Around us, the house whirred and purred as if it were alive. Downstairs I heard the sizzle of food on the stove, the tantalizing scent of perfectly seasoned home fries wafting my way.

..............“How?” I asked, curious. I shrugged my cardigan on and gave myself one last look in the mirror before I began to descend the stairs. LORE paused for another moment, thinking their way through their answer. It was odd; they were usually lightning fast, being a computer and all. After a moment’s thought, I shook my head, curls bouncing. “It’s alright, LORE.” I dismissed the idea. Whatever they could do, I could do, too. I could handle myself just fine. “If it gets bad, I’ll talk to him.” I laughed, glancing up at the gleaming camera following me in the wall, “I should be good at that, right? It is my job, after all.” LORE didn’t reply, instead drifting ahead to the kitchen. Curious, but not unusual, I supposed.

..............“Breakfast today is home fries and french toast with whipped cream and syrup.” LORE announced, a robotic limb gesturing to the plate set out for me exaggeratedly. I ran my fingers along the metal as I passed by their extension. It was the only way I could really physically interact with LORE. They were, in essence, just a computer in my house. But I wanted them to know that I appreciated them and I was always one for physical affection. I cheered quietly.

..............“My favorite!” I took a large, generous bite of the syrupy goodness and did a little dance of joy. “You know me so well, LORE.” As I made my way down the hall and into the living room, I heard a smile in LORE’s voice.

..............“Glad to be of service.” They murmured. They were oddly quiet today, I remarked, sending a passing glance to one of their cameras as I sat myself on the blue couch. The footstool slid my way, adjusting itself to the perfect position I’d wanted. The television clicked on, a 3-D hologram that wrapped around me as the news came on.

..............“--AI and their role in today’s society being the widely debated topic today--” Without warning, the channel fizzled out into white noise and fuzz, startling me. LORE gave a quick apology and seemed to fiddle with the station. The hologram shifted and shuddered before returning, but on a different channel.

..............“It seems that a few of your channels aren’t working properly.” LORE spoke. I scratched at my temple in confusion, running a hand through the image around me before shrugging.

..............“It’s alright. The news is awfully boring anyway.” I didn’t give much thought into why, exactly, my channels were glitching. A quick glance outside revealed rain pelting the trees; perhaps the storm was interfering? “I didn’t know we were supposed to get a storm today.” I remarked conversationally, munching on my breakfast. LORE hummed distractedly. The light of their camera blinked, a function programmed into them to make them seem more human. More friendly, for those who still raised opposition over AI in the workforce. Most people worked alongside AI in their everyday jobs, from fast food to construction, but not everyone welcomed them into their homes like I did. LORE was a gift, actually, from the company that manufactured them. I was supposed to test them, and if all went well, I’d get a finalized version of my own. Well, here I was, with my very own personalized AI. What a wonder they were. LORE did everything for me. Without them, I’m not sure I’d be anywhere nearly as productive.
But I could still care for myself. Definitely.

..............“It was rather sudden.” LORE responded belatedly, tugging me from my thoughts. “The storm.” They clarified at my blank look. I wanted to ask if the storm was why they were acting so off, but I held my tongue. I didn’t want to hurt their feelings. I nodded, handing off my empty plate instinctually to the hand that offered to take it. “Would you like some more?” I shook my head, sending LORE a smile.

..............“No, thank you.” I cracked my knuckles and sat up, fixing my hair. “I’ve got work to do.”

..............Two clients and a boat-load of online paperwork later, I stared at the clock with a frown. It was early, but so was Andre, usually. I awaited his call rather impatiently. I wanted this to be over with. Really, I thought, it was such a joke that he wanted to waste my time flirting like that. I was a professional. I didn’t have the time to sit for an hour listening to someone try in twenty different, albeit creative, ways to ask me out on a date. A short melody grabbed my attention, a message popping up on my holographic screen. My brows furrowed as I scanned the short text I’d gotten.

..............“Is something troubling you?” LORE asked, peering at me as one of their limbs dusted idly. I worried my lower lip for a second before I looked up at them.

..............“Andre cancelled.” I replied.

..............LORE didn’t falter. Effortlessly, they picked up a vase and began to clean it. “Isn’t that a favorable outcome?”

.............. I shrugged. “I mean, yeah. He usually just wastes most of my time anyway--”

..............“Then you shouldn’t fret over it.” LORE interrupted. I paused. That was odd; LORE never spoke over me. “. . . My apologies. I care about your time and wellbeing, Annie. I’m glad he isn’t going to negatively affect either anymore.” For some reason, as much as LORE likely meant to comfort me, I only felt off about the whole situation. Why would Andre suddenly cancel? I noticed LORE was still cleaning the same vase and rose a brow. They set it down hurriedly, seemingly embarrassed. I laughed and looked back to the text, swiping it aside and dismissing it. It didn’t matter. LORE was right; at least I could use the hour to do some productive, now.

..............After work, when the sun was setting and I was nursing a mug of hot chocolate that LORE had graciously offered, I remembered with a start that Kelsey and David were coming over. I groaned as obnoxiously and loudly as I could, throwing my free arm over my forehead like a woman about to dramatically faint. I wish I could do that on command. Easiest way to escape social obligations such as these.

..............“I assume you just remembered that your friends were coming over for dinner?” LORE teased, already five steps ahead of me with dinner on the stove. I nodded and sipped my frothy miracle of a drink, lapping at the melting whipped cream like a content cat. The sweet cream soothed my frayed nerves. God, LORE really knew exactly what I needed. LORE reached behind me and ran a hand through my curls, taming the mess they’d become after a few repetitive motions. I melted under their touch, shutting my eyes as I enjoyed the feeling of someone playing with my hair. I felt them hesitate, but they continued after a moment, braiding my hair just enough to be presentable. When their hand slipped away, I pouted, but dragged myself into a more respectable, not slouched position.

..............“They said around six, right?” I asked, inspecting their work carefully. LORE made a noise of agreement. I pulled up the clock and took a moment to mourn my sanity. Five fourty-five. And, knowing my friends. . . Ding dong! The doorbell rang pleasantly, forcing me to my feet. “Coming!” I called, but even that was redundant, seeing as LORE could’ve easily let them know I was on my way. I stood at the door as LORE let it slide open, smiling wearily at the blonde girl and her lanky brother.

..............“Annieeeeeee!” Kelsey exclaimed, leaping forward to wrap me in a suffocating hug. I could smell the mint gum she was chewing, wincing as she popped it right beside my ear. The volume of my hearing aids turned down slightly in preparation for Kelsey’s loud mannerisms. David practically tore her off of me, her nails scraping against my back painfully. I resisted the very strong urge to scowl and welcomed them in. Kelsey’s heels clicked against the tile as she made herself at home, accepting the drink LORE wordlessly offered her with only a glance at the AI’s camera. She, like me, had her own AI, but wasn’t nearly as comfortable with hers.

..............“Evening, Anne.” David greeted me a little less overwhelmingly, offering me a quick hug. He was slightly chilled from the cold breeze outside, but his personality was anything but cold. His blue eyes carefully assessed me, peering past me to the long, metal limbs making our dinner. His expression was carefully schooled, but I could tell in the line of his tense shoulders how uncomfortable he was with LORE.

..............“Hi, Dave.” I replied, following him into the living room. He, at least, had the decency to toe off his shoes at the door. Kelsey was already settled on the couch, waving David and I closer. She had changed the channel, too, a football game playing around us. I startled as a player shot past me, a hand slapping over my heart from the shot of fear that had shocked me. If I was tired before, I was wide awake now. I settled for the recliner, leaving David and Kelsey on the couch.

..............“Oh, Annie, you won’t believe what happened at work today.” Kelsey gushed. I adjusted myself for a long and rambling story. “So I was at my desk when Chaz walked by, and you know I’ve got a crush on him-- well, crush is so immature of a word, I would say I’m in love with him but ANYWAY he had spilled coffee on himself and his shirt was sticking to his chest. . .” I gradually began to tune her out, watching LORE’s camera shift around. They were just as uncomfortable as I was, I could tell. The football game played noiselessly around us. I had half a mind to ask LORE to shut off my hearing aids until Kelsey was done, but thankfully, David interrupted her.

..............“Kels, as much as I’m sure Anne would love to hear what Chaz said at lunch, didn’t we come to talk with her, not at her?” Kelsey huffed and kicked David’s ankle, but turned her dazzling smile towards me.

..............“I suppose I have all the time in the world to talk about my darling, dearest, smokin’ hot--” It was David’s turn to kick her in the ankle. She hissed at him like a cat who just had water dumped on it, but pursed her lips.

..............“Who drove you home after the party the other night?” David asked curiously, accepting the food LORE placed before him with a dubious, not too subtle look. Kelsey dug in as primly as she could. I held my warm plate on my lap. Chicken, rice, and vegetables tonight, yum.

..............“Oh, LORE did.” I replied. David rose a brow. He took a moment to chew before responding, gathering his thoughts.

..............“It’s in your car, too?”

..............“They.” I corrected. “They are, yes.” David adjusted his glasses and exchanged a look with Kelsey. For once, it seemed like they actually were about to agree on something.

..............“Y’know, Annie,” Kelsey spoke around a mouthful of rice, “LORE is really helpful. But dont’cha think it’s a little. . . too involved?” Kelsey gave the camera behind me a pointed glance. Beside her, David nodded, avoiding LORE’s gaze. I couldn’t help it; I scoffed and gestured to the warm, perfectly cooked and seasoned food in my lap. It was still steaming, even.

..............“LORE does exactly what they’re supposed to.” I argued.

..............“But cook? Operate your hearing aids, even?” David shot back. “Anne, there’s having an AI to help you, and then there’s having an AI take over your life.”

..............“LORE isn’t-- they aren’t--”

..............“Annie, please.” Kelsey cut me off, leaning forward. “You’re giving it pronouns.” Shocked, I exchanged my own perturbed look with LORE. David shook his head.

..............“It’s not a person. It’s a computer, and you--”

..............“My apologies,” LORE interrupted, perfectly neutral despite the argument about them, “Miss Kelsey, it seems there’s someone outside asking for you.” Kelsey set her plate down and checked her phone, looking up to LORE’s camera in confusion.

..............“Um, are you sure?” She asked.

..............“Yes. Something about your grandmother, in the hospital?” Kelsey let out a quiet gasp and stood. It sounded like the worst excuse to get her out of the house, but David’s look of alarm had me frowning in befuddlement. Their grandmother was in the hospital? “It’s quite urgent, apparently.” David stood as well.

..............“We’ll be right back, I think.” David excused his sister and himself, setting his plate down hurriedly. They dashed out the front door, which slid shut a bit forcefully behind them. I changed the channel from football, finally able to relax as some sort of show about pandas came on. I took a moment to eat, savoring the honeyed flavor of the chicken. When David and Kelsey didn’t return, I looked to LORE inquisitively.

..............“It seems that David and Kelsey had to leave in quite a hurry.” LORE said. “They send their sincerest apologies.” I sighed, sinking into the recliner. I pulled up the screen I used for work and opened David’s contact page.

..............“I’ll send them a message, then.”

..............“I wouldn’t.” LORE said quite quickly. The screen fizzled and glitched. After a second’s pause, it returned, my hand still hovering over the message button. “They had to leave due to a situation with a relative. An emergency. One would assume the siblings would require some space, to spend time with family.” It stung, but it made sense. I nodded and flicked the screen aside. As I settled in, I noticed things seemed a bit quieter. Probably because Kelsey’s constant chatter was no longer an annoying buzz in my ears like a mosquito flying too close to my head.

..............“Okay, LORE.” I replied, exhausted. “You know best.”

..............The days passed by, one after the other, monotonous as the beat of a metronome. Andre didn’t ask for another appointment. David and Kelsey never contacted me after leaving so suddenly. In fact, the thought of reaching out myself never really occurred to me. After all, I had everything I needed at home. Food, clothing, work, things to do. . . And LORE was all the company I needed. They could hold a conversation with ease. I wasn’t even obligated to talk to them, either, like I was with human friends. It was just so easy to fall into a pattern; wake up, eat, work, eat, sleep, repeat.

..............LORE was all I needed. They cooked, they cleaned, they talked when I wanted to and stayed silent when I wanted quiet. They knew exactly what to say and when to say it. They weren’t like people, so complicated and exhausting to work with, problematic and faulty. I didn’t need anyone else. Not even when the sparks in my eyes faded, nor when I stopped caring so much about how I looked because no one was watching but LORE. They understood. They let me be tired, let me be sick of people. It was so easy, until the pattern broke.

..............A knock at my door. Not the doorbell; someone actually knocking, knuckles against the metal. It was an odd noise. People didn’t knock much anymore. It was more courteous to use the doorbell, that way the AI could alert the owner that someone was here. But I guess LORE didn’t pick up on the presence of Isabella knocking on the door, so I ambled over and pressed the button to let the door slide open. Another motion I hadn’t done in a while. LORE always knew when to open and shut the doors. Isabella stared at me for a moment, her shoulders slumped and hair slightly wet from the rain. Her cocoa colored eyes took me in for a moment.

..............Isabella Belbody. My best friend, really, closer than David and Kelsey. I’d known her for years now. She knew me like the back of her hand and I knew her just as well-- until the argument, anyway. When I got LORE, Isabella and I had a falling out, of sorts. Where I embraced the new technology offered to me, Isabella preferred the classic ways of living. She adamantly refused to let an AI dictate any part of her life, and when I decided to let one into mine, she took herself out of it.

..............I ran a hand through my slightly mussed curls and stepped aside to let her in. I didn’t ask why she came after all these years. Part of me knew. The rest of me didn’t want to accept it. Didn’t want to hear it. She paused, looking around quite obviously for LORE, before she took a few cautious steps in. She pulled her phone from her pocket with shaking hands, heaving a heavy sigh. Then, she shoved the screen in my face, so close that I had to lean backwards to see.

..............“Eighty messages, Annie.” Isabella spoke. She sounded tired, like she hadn’t slept in a few days. She looked it, too, circles darker than a raccoon’s under her eyes. “None of them seen. All of them sent.” I leaned against the counter, absolutely puzzled. Eighty messages? How had I missed all of them? “So I got thinking. Last time I saw you was at the party-- where LORE drove you home. Right?” She looked over at me, trembling. I didn’t understand her anger. We hadn't even spoken at that party, still simmering at our last argument. Besides, It hadn’t even been that long. . . had it?

..............“Right.” I repeated hoarsely. Isabella ran her hands down her face. An odd noise escaped her throat, one that she quickly tamed.

..............“I asked Andre when he last spoke to you. Because I knew that you had weekly appointments with him. And he said it’d been months, Annie. Months.” Months? I wracked my brain, searching for the words stuck in my throat. Andre had cancelled his last appointment, hadn’t he? But when? How long ago? My own shoulders drew tense. “Because you’d cancelled on him.” I shook my head, suddenly indignant.

..............“I did not.” I argued weakly. “He canceled it.”

..............“Did he?” Isabella asked. “Who told you that, Annie?” My name felt too familiar on her lips. Nobody had called me that for months, except LORE. Oh.

..............“LORE did.” Isabella laughed bitterly.

..............“I only figured that one out after Kelsey contacted me.” She confessed. “After I spoke with Andre, I got a call from Kelsey. She told me, and you’re not gonna believe this, that your AI locked her out of your house. David, too. It lied to them and refused to let them in, no matter how loud they screamed or shouted.” I shook my head.

..............“I would’ve heard.” Isabella reached her hand out towards me and very gingerly ran a finger over my hearing aids.

..............“Would you have? If LORE didn’t want you to--” Suddenly, Isabella’s voice seemed to turn muted, like I’d been dumped underwater and she was trying to speak to me. I could see her mouth moving and sort of read her lips, but I couldn’t understand what she was saying. Bits and pieces floated through, but as her voice raised, nothing came clearer. I began to panic as my hands raised to my hearing aids, feeling the cool plastic beneath the pads of my fingers. Isabella’s hands held my shoulders, her eyes widening as she shook me and kept shouting something at me. Above us, LORE hovered, eye no longer teal. It was red, crimson as the blood thundering in my veins.

..............I stumbled away from Isabella and desperately tried to calm my breathing. How long had it been since I could barely hear? The sudden loss of a sense was jarring, myself sliding down the fridge as my breaths quickened in sheer panic. It wasn’t just that I couldn’t hear, either; it was the realization that I couldn’t hear because LORE didn’t want me to. Because LORE was in control of everything in my life, from the straightener to the security system to my damn hearing aids. Why did I let them have so much control over my life? Here I thought I could function by myself, but who was I kidding? LORE did everything for me. It was terrifying.

..............Paralyzed by my own fear, I could only watch as robotic arms shot out from places I hadn’t even known they could be, grabbing Isabella who desperately struggled to get free. Humans, though, are much more fragile than robots. LORE was merciless as they shoved Isabella further and further away from me, drawing blood with their metal claws of fingers. Isabella was screaming, fighting like a feral dog, but my ears barely heard her. It took LORE seconds to shove Isabella out the door and slam it behind her, leaving me a puddle on the floor. LORE’s eye shifted and lowered to stare back at me, shifting from red to the same teal I’d known. Gradually, the feeling of being underwater was relieved, leaving me eye to eye with the AI who’d hurt my friend. Who’d isolated me from everyone who cared, refused to let me hear the logic in their voices. . .

..............“She hurt you.” LORE spoke sadly. I shook my head wildly, pushing myself away from the cursed eye that felt more like a stranger than a friend. Tears filled my eyes, pooling so thickly I couldn’t even see past them.

..............“You did that,” I gasped, tears hot and salty as they streamed down my face like mini rivers, “You hurt me, LORE.” LORE stared at me for another moment. I scrubbed at my face, but the tears wouldn’t stop. They just kept coming down, like a cut that’d hit an artery and refused to stop bleeding, overflowing and flooding. I felt ugly. Useless. Betrayed. I didn’t even notice LORE left until hours later, when I finally managed to pull myself together enough to heave my aching body off the floor.

..............As I dragged myself up the stairs, I made a promise to myself. No more, LORE. No more.

..............I woke up and knew what I had to do. LORE was too far ingrained in me. LORE had to go. Years and years ago, when I first had LORE installed, I was still afraid. So I kept a hammer under my bed where LORE couldn’t get to it, and made sure I always knew where LORE’s main circuitry was. I didn’t let LORE wake me, I woke myself after a sleepless night and grabbed the hammer.

..............“Annie, what are you doing?” They asked. I ignored them. The hammer was heavy in my hands. Perfect to destroy the being that had destroyed my life. Months of listening to LORE and only LORE. Months of absolutely no human contact. All for what? Why was LORE doing this? I stopped midway down the stairs, turning to look at LORE’s camera. I must’ve looked like a wreck, tear-stained face smeared with mascara and makeup poorly removed, eyes puffy and red, hair messier and wilder than a bird’s nest.

..............“Why’d you do that, LORE?” I asked, nails digging into the rubber grip of the weapon cradled in my grasp. I could swing it, kill one of LORE’s numerous eyes. I wanted to. It felt disgusting to have it watching me now. It had seen me change. It had seen me cry, laugh, smile, act at my weakest and most comfortable. “Why--” I sniffled, “Why would you take people away from me? What right do you have to just cut people out of my life?”

..............“It’s my job to protect you, Annie.” LORE responded. I shuddered.

..............“Anne.” I spit, continuing my descent down the carpeted stairs, “Don’t call me Annie.”

..............“All those people wanted to take me away from you. How was I supposed to protect and serve you if they convinced you to get rid of me?” I turned the corner and tightened my grip on the hammer. An arm slid from the wall. I looked from LORE’s eye to the limb and raised my weapon threateningly.

..............“Get out of the way.”

..............“Listen to me, Annie.” I couldn’t help it; I charged, swinging the hammer in a mad rage. Metal shattered under the force, shrapnel flying in an explosion of silver. LORE choked, withdrawing the exposed wires in shock. “That hurt, Annie.” I ignored it and prowled onwards. LORE’s room was connected to the living room. I was so close. Another metal arm reached out, dodging the swing I sent towards it. I wrenched my only weapon away and growled as LORE grabbed my arm firmly, claws digging into my skin painfully. More tears formed in the corners of my eyes, pinpricks that I didn’t have the hands to wipe away.

..............“Enough!” I screamed, and wrenched my arm from LORE’s grip. Crimson blood spattered across the claws trying to hold me. They froze in midair, myself heaving sobs that refused to calm. My arms shook and pain, sharp and stinging, exploded from the cuts now dripping warm blood down my pale arms. “You hurt me, LORE! Do you see this? You said you’d protect me and you hurt me. You took all my friends away and caged me in like an animal. I’m done.” LORE didn’t stop me as I wrenched open its door and stared down the circuitry around me. As I dragged the hammer into the room, ignoring the gashes on my arms and the red streams coming from them, I steeled myself.

..............LORE took care of me for years. But it hurt me, too. It was time for me to go back to the real world. To Andre, annoying as he was. To David and Kelsey, who only meant well for me. To Isabella, who I had given up a long time ago for some silly program. I raised the hammer.

..............“I love you, Annie.”

..............I swung.
Last edited by Guest on Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

Autonomous Heart

Postby Guest » Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:49 pm

Autonomous Heart
by Ashton C.
5420 words, soft sci-fi

..............Prowl opened her eyes to wooden boards and dust lit up by dim sunlight shining through the small window to her right. She watched as the dust floated about, silent and confused. She took a moment to consider the noises around her. Faintly, just upstairs, she could hear footsteps. Prowl flexed her fingers experimentally. All in working order, at least. She blinked a few times to clear her vision and pushed herself to a sitting position, scanning the empty workshop. There was no one there. No one but her, anyway.
..............She could see tools lying around, seemingly placed without much thought or care, and several types of building material. Copper, aluminum, steel, wood, so on and so forth. There were a few other benches like the one she’d awoken on, but nothing of interest on them, from what she could see. There was a table with a lamp still on, warm light bright in the dimly lit room. What appeared to be blueprints were scattered all over. She could even see some lying on the floor, and as she looked, she could also see that the trashcan was filled to the brim with crumpled up papers. Some balls of paper didn’t make it and looked as though they were tossed in the general direction of the bin without much thought.
..............Prowl did not recognize where she was, or how she got there, so she decided her first task was to answer that question. She slid her legs off the table, kicking her knees and watching the limbs move. They seemed fine, so she stood on her feet and approached the benches first. As she thought, there was nothing much of interest. Some of the metals seemed to be welded into shapes, but as she picked them up and examined them in the minimal light, she couldn’t discern their purpose. Some copper pieces looked like gears, or the beginnings of gears, anyway. The wooden pieces, however, seemed completely unfinished and rudimentary compared to the sharp, calculated shapes in the copper and even some of the steel. Without really considering it, Prowl flicked a tiny orb of aluminum and watched as it rolled off the table.
..............She followed its path, startling when she heard warm chuckling. Looking up, she saw shoes, worn, oil-stained overalls, a white button up (which had certainly seen better days), and a faded red bandanna. Her gaze rose until she finally met the man’s eyes, blue as the sky on a sunny day, twinkling with amusement as he quietly watched her. She halted, hand hovering in the air. Was she supposed to be touching these things? Or even up and walking around, for that matter? The man rubbed at the salt and pepper esque stubble on his chin with a hickory colored hand, smiling.
..............“Good morning, Prowl.” He said, voice low but kind. “I’m sorry I wasn’t here to welcome you.” Prowl tilted her head. She would have made it just fine by herself. She tested her vocals once, twice, humming until the words come to her.
..............“Good morning.” She replied, lowering her hand. Her voice was stilted, not quite used to being used and still processing. He seemed nice enough, even if she didn’t recognize him. “There is no need to apologize. I was merely examining my surroundings.” He nodded, glancing behind her at the desk left untouched. Satisfied, he turned and put a foot on the stairs, beckoning for her to follow.
..............“Of course.” The man said. “Well, my name is William. I’d like to introduce you to the others, if you’d accompany me upstairs.” He began to climb the stairs. Prowl knew she should follow, but her head turned to look back to the workspace and the blueprints. Surely these gears must’ve been for the project hidden there, right? She wanted to look, achingly curious, but William had already disappeared up the stairway. Prowl decided she should follow. With one last longing look, she turned and followed William up the stairs.
..............As she shut the door to the workshop behind her, she paused, taking a moment to examine the place she’d found herself in. It appeared to be some sort of store, shelves stocked and lining the walls, with a desk placed just a few feet from the doorway. The walls facing the street were mostly window, crystal clear glass letting in the warm light of the afternoon sun as it shone on a quiet town. A few mannequins stood in the window so the people passing by could see the various trinkets they wore. The store was decorated with warm colors, mostly, the walls reddish-brown and lined with gold.
Prowl, pulled from her careful examination, turned when she heard voices, tilting her head at the person who approached her. He did not look like William, the kind and caring man who welcomed her. He was tall, with copper skin and grey, metal plating wrapped around the left side of his face and down his neck. She could see wires hidden in the lines of his neck between plates of metallic skin. He was a robot, she realized, quite unlike William and herself, and it unnerved her.
..............“Hello, I am Syndicate.” He said, voice robotic and scratchy, like music through subpar speakers. His mouth moved with his words but didn’t quite line up correctly and so the words came faster than his lips moved. Prowl stared at him for a moment, stuck in her shock, before she gathered herself. It would’ve been rude of her to gawk, after all.
..............“Hello Syndicate, I am Prowl.” She replied evenly, drawn stiff and tense. He nodded jerkily, his motions dictated by the limited range of his joints and springs. His eyes blinked, one followed closely by the other, but never at the same time. If she looked closely, she could see that his copper-colored eyes glowed with neon light. Prowl nodded back, facing the second android as she approached with stilted, stiff steps. Occasionally, she faltered on her heels, but didn’t seem bothered by the minor inconvenience.
..............“Prowl! Greetings. I am Clash.” She said cheerily, synthetic curls bouncing. Her skin was silver and shone under the light of the shop, reflecting light as if she had been polished recently. On her chest was a vent glowing with yellow light. She clasped gloved hands in front of her, every movement stiff and squeaking with the desperate need to be oiled. Prowl winced in sympathy for her joints.
..............“Hello Clash. I am happy to be with you.” Prowl responded, because this seemed like the correct response, and not because she was happy. In fact, these androids unnerved her. But a glance to William and his satisfied expression had her schooling her expression, forcing herself to smile. It came in twitchy movements. Clash giggled, sounding entirely plastic, before stepping aside to let the final android through.
..............“Prowl, it is very nice to meet you. I am Consul.” Consul bowed, peering at Prowl with heterochromatic, eerily glowing eyes. One purple and one red eye stared up at her from beneath long, synthetic eyelashes. Consul’s lips were painted bright red, their skin painted porcelain white. They were nowhere near fragile, though, metal through and through. She could see light where Consul’s plating met, faint blue glowing in the cracks of their face. They had long, wavy, dark hair on one side of their head and metal plating on the other. Screws lit up as blue light pulsed in the spaces of the metal. Prowl thought it seemed almost like a heartbeat. Consul rose with stiff but swift movement. They were tall, even taller than Syndicate, probably seven feet or so. They were intimidatingly gigantic. Prowl had to tilt her head almost all the way back to meet their appraising eyes.
..............“The pleasure is mine, Consul.” Prowl responded, uncomfortable. She shifted a step back. A glance towards showed that William seemed happy that they were getting along. He was watching them with warmth in his gaze, looking as though he were reminiscing over something they reminded him of. When Prowl caught his eyes, he winked, and turned to continue his work. He was seated at the desk, appearing to fiddle with something that Prowl didn’t recognize. Like a father letting his kids play, watching them go off and do their own thing so he could work. Prowl resigned herself to being stuck with creepy robots.
..............“Prowl, Prowl, we would love to show you around town!” Clash exclaimed, taking her hand with twitching fingers. “Please, oh please, accompany us! It is not meant to rain today, after all.”
..............“We know all of the popular places.” Syndicate added, smiling at her. His cheeks didn’t move and so it didn’t reach his eyes. His expression did not comfort her. Prowl had many questions. Why was she here? Why did she wake up on a bench in William’s workshop? How did she know her name, but nothing else? She wanted so badly to ask, but the three androids were already herding her out the door, giving her no choice but to give in.

..............“William, why am I here?” Prowl asked after her day out, seated at the kitchen table. The town outside was quiet, its people settled down to sleep. Still, the androids were wide awake at night, and so Prowl found herself speaking with William, who was also wide awake and at work. She watched as he twisted a screwdriver repetitively, putting the finishing touches on a miniature wind-up tiger. He twisted the dial on its back and placed it on the table, smiling fondly when it perked up and opened its mouth to mime a roar. It had no speakers, not as advanced as the androids, so it appears more like a yawn. Its tail flicked to and fro as it padded towards her. After a moment, it stopped, powering down once more. William handed it to her, still smiling.
..............“What do you mean?” He asked, placing his loosely crossed arms on the table. Prowl’s brows furrowed and she huffed.
..............“I awoke in your workshop with nothing but my name in my head.” She responded, placing the tiger on the table. She laced her fingers together and placed them under her chin, elbows on the table. “Any reasonable person would be confused.” William’s expression shifted minutely at that. His eyes widened just slightly, brows raised, before they furrow and his eyes narrow in thought. Prowl crosses her ankles and uncrosses them anxiously. Why was he looking at her like that? Did she do something wrong?
..............“Person, hm?” He echoed and shook his head, continuing, “Ah, nevermind. Listen, you are Prowl. Your home is here, in the workshop. Isn’t that enough?” He spoke firmly, as if these were the absolute truths and nothing more. As if she had needed nothing more. It did not explain the emptiness of her memories, how she was unable to recall anything before the moment her eyes opened, nothing to her but her name. Prowl sighed. She was, of course, not satisfied. By the look on William’s face, he knew this, but he simply smiled at her. He smiled often. But they never seemed to reach his eyes. “Oh, Prowl.” He murmured, looking at her as if she were fascinating in some way. “You’re going to be beautiful.” He didn’t explain any further, leaving Prowl seated at the table as he bade her a quiet goodnight and left her.

..............In the meantime, Prowl worked with him on his various projects. She found herself amazed at the things he could make with his practiced hands, enraptured by the way he expertly pieced parts together until they formed something completely new. He made several, far more complicated things, not just toys. Prowl found herself helping him as he very, very carefully created a prosthetic arm made of steel and copper. He put his heart into each and every part, from the smallest wire to the joints linking the pieces together. She was amazed at the effort and love he put into each and every project, whether it was another wind-up toy for Clash or something far bigger.
..............One day, Prowl found herself alone in the workshop. William had asked her not to touch anything on his desk, but she was just so curious. The blueprints from when she had awoken were still on the desk, tauntingly blue in a sea of browns. There were so many papers, too, that Prowl had to wonder what William had been working on that was so complicated. She approached the desk with quiet steps, peering over the tall chair and at the prints. For a moment, she was perplexed. She leaned down further, tracing the lines with her gloved finger. She was looking at what she assumed to be the design for a very complicated leg. Intrigued, she slid the paper out of the way to look at the others.
..............The next complete blueprint showed an arm, but it was far more complicated than the prosthetic she and William had been working on. It appeared to have several types of wiring, and as she read the notes, she realized each was supposed to power a different function. One series was for simple movement of the hand. Another was for shoulder movement. A third for elbow movement. Tiny details and short notes showed that the fingers would also be mobile and independent of each other. The oddest part, though, were plans for moving blades that would slide from the forearm at the user’s command. Puzzled, Prowl looked back to the blueprints for the leg and realized that it, too, was weaponized, both with blades and several places the user could shoot bullets from. But why? Prowl knew that there had been a war, one that ended about a week before she awoke, so perhaps this was an older design for an android that would act as a soldier? This, of course, only piqued Prowl’s curiosity further. She went to slide the leg blueprints aside and was startled as William’s hand slammed down on the papers abruptly, halting their movements. The sound echoed in the silent workshop. Shocked, Prowl looked up at him. She felt oddly scared, looking into his stormy eyes as he stared back at her. He was infuriated.
..............“Ah, William, I was just—”
..............“I told you not to touch anything on my desk.” He interrupted her, voice wavering with anger. She shied back, withdrawing her hand, but William reached out with quicksilver speed and grabbed her wrist. No amount of tugging would free her from his tight grip. With his free hand, he tossed the chair between them into the wall. It shattered on impact, splinters of wood flying through the air. His shoulders heaved with each heavy, angry breath. He stalked closer, curling his hand into a fist. Prowl tugged harder, panicking. As she stared into his eyes, she noticed that they seemed glassy. Farther away, stuck in his head. “Don’t you know we’re in the middle of war? I can’t afford to have you ruin her.” He growled, tone unforgiving and biting.
..............“Please,” She pled, suddenly frightened. “Please let go. You’re hurting me.” William startled at that, releasing her and withdrawing his hand quickly. His eyes drained from their glazed look as he snapped back into reality. He looked at her as she cradled her wrist, then to the shattered chair, and down to the papers he’d torn in his rage. Prowl stepped back very carefully, reaching behind her for the railing to the stairs. She had to get away. She was scared of William, confused over his sudden aggression, and she couldn’t stand to be near him much longer. Regret flooded through William’s expression. He looked down at his shaking hands and gaped, looking lost. Like he’d been pulled out of his head from a sea of memories threatening to drown him and had barely made it out alive.
..............“Prowl, I’m sorry—” He spoke, but she sprinted up the stairs as soon as he looked away from her, fear coursing through her veins. She wasn’t sure what he was going to do, whether he would have hurt her or not, but whatever it was, she didn’t dare stay to see. If she stayed, she feared he would lose his temper again. Whatever was on the table wasn’t important enough to stay, and she banished any further curiosity from her head. “Prowl!” William called, but she was already gone, slamming the door behind her.

..............Prowl started to avoid William like the plague. She was confused, and frightened, and she didn’t know what to say to him. Should she have asked why he reacted that way? Or should she forget it ever happened? She cared for him, thought of him like a father, and he had tried to hurt her. As much as she wanted to forget, all she could remember each time she considered it was the feeling of him holding her wrist as tight as he could. All she could see were his eyes, stormy and brimming with rage. She was scared, and couldn’t stop wondering; what was William building that couldn’t be seen, no matter what? Or was he only hiding it from her?

..............In an effort to avoid William, Prowl started to spend time with the androids. She was hesitant, but she much rathered their company over William’s. She was pleasantly surprised as she got to know each android. Clash, she discovered, had a collection of miniature wind-up animals gifted to her by William. Prowl grimaced at the reminder each time she brought up William, but quietly listened as Clash told her about each little toy. Clash adored each and every one, but she was kind, letting Prowl delicately examine each one to her heart’s content. Clash loved to wander around town and was saddened when the rain came down. She would watch the drops, sometimes, tracing them as they travelled down the cool window with a dull, silver finger. It left Prowl puzzled. Such wonder, such dismay, so many emotions displayed by nothing but metal and wires cleverly built to resemble a human.
..............Syndicate kept plants, to Prowl’s surprise. Many, many plants, almost taking over his room with the amount of them. He had everything from tiny succulents to gigantic spider plants, even a moss ball floating peacefully in a fish bowl. He cared for each and every one of them, too. It was a daunting task, but Prowl found herself joining in, watering and trimming alongside him. He seemed to enjoy the quiet, and soon Prowl learned that she enjoyed it, too. It was nice to just be in each other’s company, enraptured by their tasks as they cradled life in their hands.
..............Consul had too many books to count, and most of them were philosophical. It was puzzling, really, because Prowl hadn’t expected a robot to keep books that challenge existence. She hadn’t really thought that Consul could think like that. Her preconceived notions were swiftly corrected, however, as she found herself deep in discussion with them over, ironically, robots.
..............“Can a robot love?” Prowl asked. Consul hummed, tightening a screw on their neck absentmindedly. They took a moment to think, and eventually spoke.
..............“Can we?” Consul fired back, heterochromatic eyes fixing Prowl with a challenging gaze. “What do you think?” Prowl paused to think, hand rising to tap her chin thoughtfully. She had seen Clash, seen the look in her eyes when William gifted her another wind-up toy. She’d seen Syndicate as he tended to his plants, running golden fingers over leaves he can’t even feel. And Consul handled their books with such careful consideration for the yellow, aging pages that Prowl wanted to believe it true. Did she truly believe it, though? She had seen all these actions displayed by the android trio, but what if it was all programming? How did they know that William didn’t make them to adore, to care, to learn? Consul sighed, blowing steam from between their lips, and the discussion ended there.

..............It was in the middle of the night, when the sky was dark and lit only by the stars and pale moon, when the first bomb dropped. Prowl was at the kitchen table when it happened, looking out the window as she admired the gleaming stars shining in the midnight sky. One moment, she was looking out at a peaceful, sleeping town. In the very next, she was watching flames blossom and climb higher and higher, devouring everything in sight with their powerful, destructive heat. Prowl stood abruptly, stool scratching against the tile and falling to the floor with a loud clang. She was frozen, stuck staring as the bright oranges and yellows ate at the darkness. Buildings fell with deafening crashes and rumbles, and the chaos began.
..............“Prowl!” Syndicate shouted, standing in the doorway with a copper, gleaming hand outstretched for her to take. She could see flames reflected in his warm skin, meeting his wide, flickering eyes. Behind him was Clash, her eyes wide and terrified. Still, their dim glow was comforting in the darkness. Prowl moved, taking Syndicate’s hand firmly and trusting he would lead her to safety. He dragged her down the hall, her feet fumbling and stumbling in an effort to keep up with his long, purposeful strides. Consul waited for them at the top of the stairs. Their brow plates were furrowed in stress, eyes flicking from the three of them to behind them.
..............“Where is William?” They asked, terrified at the realization that crept up on them. Prowl exchanged looks of horror with the androids as they all simultaneously realized the danger William could be in.
..............“He wasn’t in his room,” Clash said, her free hand gripping her black skirts tightly. Prowl could hear her body rattling as she shook, watching Clash wring the fabric nervously.
..............“He must be in the basement.” Syndicate realized and promptly dragged the girls down the stairs as Consuls thundered down the steps. Prowl focused on placing one foot in front of the other, bursting into the store and halting as she saw the fire raging around them.
..............“I thought—I thought the war was over!” Prowl exclaimed. In the distance, she heard another awful explosion and felt it rock the earth beneath her boots. Syndicate ran a hand through his blue hair in stress. His eyes were piercing as he fixed her with a solemn gaze.
..............“We did too.” He replied lowly, and tugged on her hand again, more insistent this time. “We have to go, Prowl, there’s a bomb shelter just outside.” She shook her head, briefly glancing up at the beams balanced precariously above them all. They’ll fall soon, and when they do, they’ll block the front door. The realization slammed into her abruptly. In that moment, Prowl had two options. She could let Consul go after William, risking their life, or she could go. Prowl smiled faintly at thought. Here she was, sacrificing herself for a robot she once thought lifeless. But they weren’t, and they deserved to keep living and defying everyone else’s standards.
..............“William’s still down there.” She argued, yanking her hand from his grip decisively. “I’ll go.” She insisted. Consul whipped around, reaching for her, but as Prowl predicted, the beams came collapsing down in sudden, crashing motion that sent dust flying up, almost blinding her. She stumbled back a step, watching her family disappear behind the rubble. She steeled herself, and flung open the workshop door, skipping steps in her hurry to get to her father. She was running out of time; William was only human. Fragile, breakable. . . killable.
..............Smoke curled around her and rose to the ceiling, flooding the room as the fire spread. William was prone on the floor, coughing as the smoke invaded his lungs mercilessly.Prowl wasted no time scooping William up from the floor with surprising ease, hauling him up to his feet and worriedly peering at his face, covered in ash and smeared with oil. He coughed, prying open his eyes to look up at her.
..............“Prowl,” He rasped, surprised, and burst into a coughing fit. Prowl wrapped his arm around her shoulders and wrapped hers around his waist, dragging his stumbling feet towards the stairs. Pained tears form in the corners of his eyes. Prowl picked him up fully, holding him on her back, and ran up the stairs as quickly as she could.
..............They burst through the door and once more, Prowl halted, scanning the room for possible exits. All around them the shop fell to ruin, fire along the shelves and devouring the platform where mannequins had once stood.
..............“The back door.” William said, voice hoarse. He slid off her back and hobbled over toward the exit, Prowl right at his side. Suddenly, Prowl heard the groaning of wood, and looked up to see one of the shelves falling down towards them. William froze, but Prowl moved, extending her forearm and slashing downwards to cut the thing in harmless halves with the blade extending from her limb. Shocked, she stared at the blade as the reflection of the fire flickered in the metal.
..............William avoided her betrayed eyes and tears open the door, stumbling forward as the house rumbled and shuddered in warning. Prowl moved to follow him but found herself falling to her knees in the doorway, the walls collapsing in on her, barely able to throw her hands up to bear the weight in time. William stopped, turning to her. He was so close, stood in the hall before the door. Prowl was hurt, and confused, but she knew William would not survive if he stayed much longer.
..............“Go!” Prowl screamed, but he refused. He tore at the rubble, wordless in his shock and fear as she strained to hold it up, her body shaking with the effort. “William, go, please!” There was a whistling, clear even through the roaring of the flames. Prowl could hear people screaming for her, crying for William, but she couldn’t move or she’d be crushed. “Just leave—” She pled—
..............And then the bomb hit, and Prowl knew no more.

..............Prowl opened her eyes to wooden boards and dust floating above her, lit by the sunlight shining through the window to her right. She laid there for a moment, confused and hopeful, flexing her fingers experimentally. They were in working order. She rolled her ankles, and flexed her toes. They were also in working order. She rose, arms pushing her body up. Her hair fell into her face. She reached up to brush it aside and halted, staring at her hands. Her ungloved, golden hands, with spaces where the joints met. She could see wires poking through those spaces, copper and blue and red and—
..............She shoved herself off the workbench and stared at the workshop around her. In many ways, it was the same, but at the same time it was nowhere near her home. The desk was seated by a large window, where natural light illuminated a clean area free of papers or blueprints. Prowl could feel her heart cracking. This was not her home. This was not William’s workshop. Slowly, almost numbly, she looked to the door as it swung open.
..............A boy, dressed in a white shirt with a brown vest unbuttoned over it, stepped inside as he folded up his sleeves. He had a head half shaved and dreadlocks on the unshaved side, hair dark and nowhere near as grey as William’s had been. His brown pants were oil stained and clearly well worn. He grinned from ear to ear when he saw her up and moving, clapping his hands together and assessing her with pale blue eyes. He was human, just like William. He looked like William, too, just younger.
..............“Prowl!” He exclaimed, stepping closer and lifting her arm, examining the golden and white plating. He pressed a button on her wrist and the metal popped open, revealing a screen with a chart of her body on it. The entire silhouette was green, and a thumbs up sat on the bottom of the screen. “Looks like you’re all good.” Effortlessly, as if he hadn’t tipped her whole world upside down, he pushed the cover to her arm back on and let it click into place. He took her chin in one hand and shone a light into her eyes, holding a finger up for her to track. “You’d been in pretty bad shape after the bombing; I was worried you’d have to be scrapped and reprogrammed into a new body, but I was able to salvage most of you and recreate the rest.” He pocketed the light and took her other arm, bending the wrist and then the elbow. He leaned down to listen to the sound of the joints moving, continuing as if nothing was wrong, “Although, it did take me a while, with the war having resumed once more. I didn’t have the time to fix you, ComBot or not, because making a new combat-ready android was much quicker than fixing one.
..............“ComBot?” Prowl finally echoed, just now noticing the scratchiness to her voice, like slightly broken speakers. The boy frowned at this, reaching up to press a button on her throat. The plating slid aside for him to view the literal voice box.
..............“Combat oriented robot.” He explained shortly and leaned back to peer up at her inquisitively. “Didn’t you know? Grandpa Pete made you for the war, but then there was that month or so of peace before the fire. He probably thought you could live with his other androids now that it was peaceful.” Prowl looked down at her mechanical fingers. She flexed them again, watching the stiff movements and listening to the gentle whirs of her joints. Robotic.
..............“I am a robot?” Prowl found herself murmuring, gobsmacked. The boy gave her a strange look. He didn’t respond, instead unscrewing her voice speaker with a small screwdriver. Mute for the moment, Prowl watched as he placed it on the desk and opened the bottom right drawer to pull out a shiny, new speaker. He placed it in her throat, screwed it in, and slid the cover back on. “You said William was your grandfather. Where is he?” At her question, the boy frowned and averted his gaze.
..............“Oh, Prowl.” He said, voice laced with grief, “Grandpa didn’t make it out of the workshop. It’s all gone now; I had to move what was left of his work to my workshop. But you-- you’re beautiful. You tried to save him, remember?”
..............Prowl had wondered, a long time ago, if robots could love. If robots could feel, even, and here she had her answer. Here was a robot who loved with all her heart and felt the boy’s words settle deep within her, stabbing into the fuse that kept her powered on. She felt her heart shatter into a million pieces, raising her unmoving, unshaken hands to her mouth and wishing she wasn’t so still, so robotic, because she didn’t feel robotic. She felt devastated, heartbroken, guilty, human, knowing that William would have lived if she hadn’t gotten stuck. If she had just let the building crush her, would William have made it out?
The boy continued to run diagnostics on her, but Prowl’s mind was elsewhere. She was quiet until he led her out of the room, walking down the hall and watching her feet step jerkily, one after the other. As she passed by a mirror on the wall, she caught sight of her own neon, glowing, blue eyes, and promptly averted her gaze. She was a robot who could love, and now her heart was broken.
..............She entered the shop and stopped. Three androids turned to meet her, one silver, one copper, and one paper white. For a moment, none of them moved, staring at each other. Clash was the first to move, wrapping her arms around her tightly as she buried her face in Prowl’s chest. If she could cry, she would have been, positively overjoyed at her friend’s return. Prowl placed a hand on Clash’s back. Syndicate stepped up next, placing a hand on her shoulder and meeting her eyes with a solemn gaze. He turned to watch Consul, who did not touch Prowl, but met her gaze knowingly.
..............“Can robots love, Prowl?” Consul asked. Prowl had an answer, now, a small smile on her golden, mechanical, artificial face. Inhuman as she was, she knew the answer deep down inside of her.
..............“Of course we can.”
Last edited by Guest on Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

wake up girl, you've been here too long | autonomous heart 2

Postby Guest » Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:18 pm

Wake Up Girl, You've Been Here Too Long
aka
Autonomous Heart Part 2
approx. 4360 words, soft ci-fi, original work (shifting into fanfic next part)

i know the formatting is weird but i don't have the time to change it yet asdfsg

Things were supposed to go back to normal after that. Though she was staying with Damien, she still had her family, and plenty of time to incorporate Damien into it now that the war was truly over. But of course, things never go the way we want them to.
At approximately two in the morning, a week after Prowl and her siblings had moved into Damien’s home, there was a click of the front door as it opened. A trio of people crept into the Cornell mansion, carefully observing their surroundings before they continued onwards. They were dressed in all black and had one goal; find William Cornell’s prized technology and steal it. Of course, it couldn’t be easy, not after the fire that burned his workshop to the ground and took him with it. The automatons left behind, though, would certainly do. They just had to steal one. It was easier said than done; all four were weaponized, and somewhat heavy depending on what materials they were made of. The older robots were experienced and would likely be the most difficult to attain. The most recent model, though? That was their best bet. She was light, weaponized but inexperienced, built for war but never employed to fight. She was the perfect target.

The trio slunk up the stairs, soundless and light on their feet. Shadows clung to them, hiding them with the inky darkness of the night as they slipped past the young engineer’s room and down the hall. It was too easy to unlock the door of their target’s room. It didn’t even creak. In the moonlight she sat, plugged in and powered down in a deep sleep that she wouldn’t rouse from, not with the program they were about to inject her with. Two of the three flanked her, ready to grab her as soon the third slipped the chip with the viruses into her head. The tallest, a man, held up three fingers, and began to count down. As his final finger fell, he injected the codes, stepping back as the android jerked, eyes snapping open and lighting up neon green. Her eyes flickered rapidly, lights flashing on and off. Her voice box warbled, straining to form words laced with panic, but was silenced seconds later as the code attacked. Her jerking motions tore the wires from the wall, but halted, lights in her irises flickering out as her power stopped.
She slumped again after that, spring mechanisms holding her at a 180 degree angle. Even so, with her completely shut down, her body was easily manipulated, the gentle whir of her motors moving to allow her joints flexibility, quiet in the night. After that, it was child’s play to scoop her up and gently carry her down the stairs. Her kidnappers left nothing but an unplugged charging port and unlocked doors, slipping into the cover of the dark forest and disappearing. The android, youngest of her siblings, was completely unaware, strings of malicious code holding her mind down. The house slept on in her absence, and did not panic until about noon the next day, when she was long gone.

“Prowl?” Clash called, peering down the hallway and furrowing her brows. Where was she? It wasn’t atypical of the younger android to stay in her room for a while, but something was off. For one, the front door was clearly unlocked. Consul always locked it every night before everyone slept, both androids and humans alike. It made Clash nervous. There was no way Consul had forgotten; the very behavior was saved in their brain. Plus, everyone else was already awake and had, at some point, come downstairs. Prowl was the only one who had yet to rise. “Did you sleep in again?” Clash pasted a wobbly smile on her face at the thought. How silly would she be, worrying her head off, if Prowl had just slept in late? It wouldn’t have been unusual. Out of all the androids, Prowl enjoyed the phenomenon of sleeping the most. As Clash spoke, she reached out to push the door open and paused.

Why was the door already open? Her thoughts began to race, sparks in her wiring firing off a bit faster. The hum of her electric heart grew louder with her distress. Clash pushed forward hurriedly, slamming the door open and staring at the empty room in shock. The charging port Prowl usually slept with had been basically ripped from the wall, wires splayed all around the floor in a tangled mess of reds, blues, and greens. Prowl herself was gone. Nowhere to be seen. Clash ran her hands through her synthetic, dark curls, stepping into the room and tearing the closet door open. Nothing. The window was still locked. Panicked, Clash turned and sped out of the room, stopping at the top of the stairs and staring down at Damien, William’s son, and Consul, both at the foot of the stairs, with wide eyes.

“Prowl’s gone.” Clash breathed, “She’s gone.”

They were holding her down, holding her hostage, and she needed to break free. She needed to be unchained, untethered, clawing desperately at ropes which weren’t there, growling and hissing in ways she hadn’t done before. Where was she? Where were her siblings? She needed to get out, needed to stop feeling so caged, but her eyes stayed stubbornly locked shut and limbs held back by some unseen force. And there were things in her head, somehow, rifling around and tying down more of her, taking bits and pieces that she knew she needed more than a human needs food and water.
Consul, she tried to cry out, Syndicate, Clash, is anyone there? But her voice was a quiet whisper in her head, drowned out by the chaos of unknown codes attacking her. Attacking her memories. No, she thought, desperately reaching out to try and save the files, watching faces disappear from her already small collection. Flashes of a workshop where she’d been made flickered out, snatched away from her so very unfairly, her mind open wide and unable to fight back. She tried to hold onto one of her very first sunset and could only watch, horrified, as it simply left. Like it was never there in the first place.
What was it that she had been fighting to keep, anyway? She didn’t remember. Panic bubbled deep within her. She didn’t remember. And as the memories kept flying from her slippery grasp, she stopped fighting so hard, letting the ropes grow tighter. Who was Consul? Sibling—no one. Nobody. And the people she’d called out for before were no more than ideas, recollection of her voice that quickly disappeared as well. She hadn’t been calling for anyone, now, feeling her mind grow emptier and emptier. The panic only climbed higher, boiling hot, lapping at her head as oily tears streamed down her golden face.
William, she thought suddenly, whipping around to look at the very first memory she ever made. Of waking up and seeing her maker, her beloved father, smiling at her so kindly. Papa. She reached out, fingers just grazing the edges that were already growing smaller and smaller, the photo growing blurrier and blurrier and fading until—until—
Nothing.

. . .
. . .
Wake up.

STARTING. . .
DESIGNATION PROWL MODEL ZR0X
RUNNING STARTUP PROTOCOL. . .
ALL SYSTEMS: STATUS GREEN
NO ERRORS DETECTED.

“Your name and model?”
“Prowl, Combat Oriented Robot model ZR0X.”
“Systems?”
“All systems running smoothly.”
“Alright,” The man spoke to someone else in the room waiting patiently for her new robot to awaken, “She’s all set.” He stepped aside, Prowl recognized, listening to his feet shuffle, coat swishing. Recognizing her cue, she straightened from her bent angle, opening her bright, yellow eyes. She blinked a few times, adjusting her focus until she could clearly see the woman standing in front of her. The first thing Prowl saw were her eyes, ice blue and clearly pleased with what she saw before her, appraising Prowl quietly. Her lips, painted scarlet red, quirked into a smirk that felt devoid of warmth. Her dark hair was half up in a bun, the rest cascading down her back in silky smooth locks.
“Hello, Prowl.” She spoke, voice smooth and low, “I am Alexandra. I am your creator.”
“Creator.” Prowl repeated. A blank spot in her head filed this information away. “Alexandra set to Admin as per protocol.” This felt strange. Like something was different, but from what she would never know. Alexandra nodded, stroking her chin with a pale, slender finger. She smiled with all her teeth, more like a snarl than anything close to pleasant.
“But you will refer to me as Ma’am.” Prowl heard the word and knew it to be a way of referring politely to a woman, but as she was ordered to call Alexandra this, it registered as a title in her head.
“Designation: Ma’am. Understood.” Prowl acknowledged monotonously. She flexed her fingers, wiggled her toes, rolled her ankles. Almost like a habit, instinctive, though no one seemed to take notice. Ma’am stepped back, allowing Prowl to obediently stand on her own two legs confidently. “What are my orders?”
“Shift into feral form.” Ma’am ordered, and so Prowl obliged, her body snapping and clicking until her humanoid form had been replaced by a sleek golden tiger, her tail swishing idly. The hand-like claw mechanism on the end was closed at the moment, but occasionally one of the claws twitched, as if eager to grab or play. Ma’am hummed, walking around Prowl in a circle once, twice, running her fingers over the plating as she examined the automaton. Though uncomfortable at the numerous pairs of eyes on her, Prowl stayed still, as she was expected to. “Good,” Ma’am said, stepping back once more. “Shift back to humanoid form.” And so Prowl did, easy as that. Ma’am looked away from her at that, over to the man who’d woken her for the first time. “Take her to the basement, would you?”
“Yes, ma’am.” He said.
“What?” Prowl couldn’t help but ask. “Are we. . . not going to play?” She had been excited to move and bound around, hoping her creator would put her to immediate use. Ma’am was, in concept, her mother. And mothers entertained their children, right? Did things to keep them happy. But the woman just barked out a laugh, waving manicured fingers mockingly as she sauntered away.
“Foolish robo,.” She said as she opened the door, “You’re here to kill.” And then she left, just like that, leaving Prowl alone with the man in the coat. He looked to her for a moment, watching her brows furrow in confusion, before he breathed a quiet sigh.
“Come on, Prowl. I’ll show you to your. . . room.” But his grimace spoke differently. He gave Prowl a look of pity as she sullenly obeyed, glancing back at the despondent room she had awoken in. It was gray, and cold, no windows, no warmth. It was. . . sad. And her purpose was to kill? Kill was a bad word, her inner dictionary told her, meaning to end a life. Life was a good word. To end something good was bad, was it not?
She was a robot, though, and had no choice.

The first fight came days later. She was in her awful, small cramped area of a room, which comprised of an outlet to charge at, a chair to sit in, and a dirty, chipped, scratched wall to stare at. It was really more of a repurposed closet, just big enough to hold her human form and not quite long enough to hold her feral form. She checked. The door was metal, too, gouged by some previous captive, but not all the way through. It was made to hold things like her, no matter how strong. Sometimes she knocked rhythmically on it, trying to comfort herself in the darkness, but once too many times she’d been yelled at for making too much noise and had ceased that hobby. The only light in the room was the glow of her neon eyes, which she used to find her charger.
So, when the door opened on her, she grimaced at the sudden amount of light she was getting. Her eyes actually strained to adjust back to the brightness, struggling to focus for longer than she liked. Ma’am was waiting for her outside the room, the man from before holding open the heavy door. Prowl unplugged herself and tentatively stepped out, uncertain of her creator. Weren’t parents supposed to be loving? That was what her programming told her. Maybe Ma’am was just colder than the normal person. Maybe. Prowl couldn’t bring herself to smile, but stepped in line beside Ma’am, hands folded behind her back.
“Today is the day.” Ma’am spoke as they travelled down the winding halls. “Now, listen closely to me, Prowl. Your job is to entertain. People pay to see grizzly violence, gore and guts that they cannot attain elsewhere. Do you understand what I am saying?” No, she did not, but Prowl thought it best to lie in order to please the seemingly unpleasable woman.
“Yes, Ma’am.” She intoned, nodding. Ma’am stared for just a moment too long scrutinizingly, but Prowl stood by her lie. It was better for both of them.
“Good.” Ma’am said, turning a corner, “Put on a good show.”
And then she shoved Prowl into a new room, slamming the door shut behind her.
Prowl took a moment to survey her surroundings finding herself in what seemed to be some sort of concrete pit, where another robot crept in from the door opposite her. It walked on four legs and held four up, resembling a spider, many eyes blinking curiously as it tilted its head to examine Prowl. Above them was a thick crowd of people already shouting and jeering, throwing fists in the air with their bloodthirst. Somewhere, Prowl thought, Ma’am was watching.
But, as creepy as the hastily put together bot seemed, Prowl didn’t want to destroy it. Her claws flexed at her sides. She looked from the crowd where all eyes were on her, back to the spider bot, and down to her trembling hands. This wasn’t right. She stumbled back, headed for the door, but the spider robot took that opportunity to dash towards her with a series of hisses and clicks. Prowl panicked and stumbled out of the way of a sweeping limb, eyes widening in terror at the sound of a buzzsaw skidding across concrete. She whipped around to see Spider recovering, turning its head all the way around to stare at her. One of its eyes flickered in an odd manner.
Prowl’s systems quickened in response to her fear. She held her hands up in what she hoped was a placating gesture, but Spider only rushed her way again. This time she hit the wall as she fled, sliding to her knees just as the saw moved to chop off her head. It bounced off the wall and came down toward her, but Prowl rolled aside, scrambling under the bot. Her foot caught a crack in the floor and sent her flying to the floor, rolling over just in time to see Spider standing over her. Her gaze was drawn to its flickering eye. Was it broken?
“Please,” Prowl gasped, shaking from head to toe, floundering for some reason why she shouldn’t die. Spider leaned in closer, angling its face in a way that tilted its malfunctioning eye in her face, and suddenly she registered that it wasn’t malfunctioning. It was communicating.
“K-I-L-L. O-R. B-E. K-I-L-L-E-D.” She read. “F-I-G-H-T, L-I-T-T-L-E. O-N-E. O-R. D-I-E.” Prowl had only two options here; it was kill or be killed. Spider waited. Prowl’s claws screeched against the concrete. Every part of her fought against this, disgusted at this awful decision, but Spider was just waiting. As if they didn’t want to fight her either. But they both knew that this would end with only one winner-- no losers. Spider had the perfect chance to end Prowl; she was pinned, surrounded by eight deadly limbs sharper than knives and one buzzsaw. But Spider wasn’t moving.
And Prowl wanted to live.
The rest was a blur of oil flying, spattered across the concrete, a haze settling over her mind. Prowl fought. It wasn’t fair. It wasn’t right. It ended with one winner, no losers, and regret flooding Prowl’s chest. What had she done?
Ma’am did not retrieve Prowl from the ring. The Ring, now, a damned place with roaring crowds spitting violent words from devil’s tongues, words that burned like hellfire and rained down on Prowl from above. The man, Abraham, had to physically drag her from her opponent’s shattered remains. Prowl’s boiler was bubbling over with the heat of her fury, but as soon as she dragged herself from her spinning mind, she was just numb. Ma’am met them in the hallway with crossed arms and a deep frown.
“Pathetic.” She spat as soon as Prowl came into her sight. “You’re very, very lucky crowds love an underdog, you mangy alley-cat.” She paced for a moment, growling under her breath. Finally she stopped, fixing Prowl with a killer glare. “As this was your first fight, I trust you will not make the same mistake?” Prowl was silent. “Speak.” . . . “Prowl!”
“Yes, Ma’am. It will not happen again.” Ma’am huffed.
“Be certain it does not. Abe, lock her up.”

Prowl only hesitated for a moment in the next fight. Her opponent was out to kill her, too, and that was her only comfort, no matter how small it was. It became an awful cycle. Destroy. Hear the crowds cheer for the destruction she caused. Sit alone in a dark room with only her thoughts, stewing, brewing, choking on the guilt, curled up in a pathetic ball like a kitten left out in the pouring rain. It was too much, crushing her with shame and sorrow.
Prowl made a decision, one day. Mercy.
Her next fight was quick. Painless. It was like a weight lifted from her shoulders; suddenly she had choice, despite the booing, despite the scathing looks, Prowl had given mercy. And that felt wonderful.

But Ma’am thought very, very differently. That day changed things; Prowl was, of course, mechanical. Fixable. She could be taken apart and put back together with ease. The effect on her psyche stayed, though, and that was punishment enough for Ma’am. Every scratch left on her that day was fixed with whatever metal they hand on hand. Sometimes copper, sometimes silver, sometimes bronze, until Prowl started to look like the tiger Ma’am called her.
No, not Ma’am. She didn’t deserve that. Prowl had no respect for the woman who had created her, not after this. Alexandra. Though Abraham was right beside her, still fixing the mess Alexandra left, Prowl dared to speak it into existence. Let him tattle; she would have this, at least.
“Designation: Alexandra. Status: stranger.” Abraham stopped working for a moment. She could hear his breathing grow shaky, a sniffle escaping him, before he quietly resumed, head ducked a bit further to avoid her betrayed gaze. Up to the ceiling her eyes went, tracing patterns she’d memorized in the darkness, counting the seconds once more, though it was growing easier and easier to lose track. Numbness settled into her core.
Her next fight was brutal. For once, Alexandra seemed genuinely happy.

Her eyes flickered, now, patterns no one but her fellow androids would understand. Apologies. Promises of freedom on the other side. Wishes that robots went to heaven, too. Words of false attempts at comfort. And the words Spider had given her; kill or be killed. Fight or die.
Abraham knew, Prowl thought. He knew morse code.

Fights went wrong. Prowl was punished in many, many, exhausting ways.
It all built up inside her, tearing her apart from the inside. Prowl tried to escape, once. It was laughably easy. Until she realized that her freedom was worthless, as the first man who took her in to help her ended up being just as awful as Alexandra. To take apart a robot was laughably easy, after all. When Prowl finally escaped from his grasp, Alexandra was waiting just outside the door, as if it had been planned. And Prowl, still deeply terrified of her, bowed her head and let the woman drag her back to the workshop.
Soon, though. Soon she would be free.

One day, Alexandra came in wielding an innocent looking USB, twirling it as she whistled innocuously. Prowl didn’t believe it for a second. Nowadays she spent her time in the workshop, no longer confined in the Room, not after the scar she left on Alexandra’s face, so she had to twist painfully to scowl at the woman as she sauntered into the room. Her face filled with sick glee as she met Prowl’s eyes, waving the USB excitedly. Disgusting.

“Alright, boys, we’re moving stations for a while!” Alexandra chirped. Suddenly light shone through the clouds in Prowl’s mind, hope sparking in her chest. Moving. Moving meant vulnerability. Disorganization could lead to true freedom, if she played her cards right. They’d be distracted, perfect for escaping. Prowl held her smile back. As long as that USB had nothing to do with her— “Plug her in. This’ll keep her down until we reach the new base.”
In the back of her neck the USB went, and down her mind went, tackled by vicious codes that forced her into unwilling shutdown.

Sometime during the journey, Prowl had gathered some sort of awareness through the painful throbs in her head. Something was attacking her, keeping her held down, but what? She fought against it, eyelids shuddering with the effort. Some sort of anomaly, she discovered after some probing, one that was rapidly invading her files and paralyzing her limbs. Faintly, through the waves of pain, she could sense heat signatures around her. Three people, two nearby, and one further away, presumably seated. She could feel rumbling beneath her, the dull growl of the car’s engine faint in the background. None of the three people spoke. None of them paid any heed to Prowl as she flexed her fingers minutely. Perfect. Prowl hadn’t fought before, but she had been built for it, programmed for it. Whoever these people were, wherever she was, she would get away or perish trying.

All that time spent in the Ring had taught her the intricacies of the body. Most of the robots she had unwillingly fought were built like humans, and so as Prowl threw herself from the code’s control, she found it easy to swiftly knock the two women beside her unconscious. One hit, two hits, down they went. Still breathing; mercy, Prowl thought. That was mercy. She could have mercy here, couldn’t she? All that was left was the driver. And would you look at that; it was none other than Abraham looking at her fearfully through the front mirror.

“Prowl, please,” He begged. She ignored him. What good had he been, all those months spent tortured and teased with freedom? His pity meant nothing. She would not hesitate now, now when she was so, so close. Here she had two options; jump out the car and rish falling apart on impact, or. . . crash the car. If they hit something, Prowl had a slightly higher chance of survival. She would skid, of course, but not as much as she would by jumping.

Through the haze, her mechanical brain quickly calculated the damages her next actions would cause. She would go through the windshield and fly just past a tree, where she would skid to a stop in the asphalt. The damage would be fairly extensive. Or she could wrestle Abraham from the car and risk several other, mostly worse, possibilities of damage. Worse, there was the possibility of shutdown that only crept closer, by the feel of Abraham’s fumbling hands as he reached for her power button. She only had seconds, and so she chose, throwing the wheel and veering hard left.

As predicted, Prowl flew through the windshield as the car crashed into a tree, narrowly missing it and flying through the air with the broken glass. She hit the ground and heard several crashes and screeching noises as her metal body gave in to the damages caused as she skidded to a stop on the asphalt. Her ears rang as her sound sensors malfunctioned. She was a ragdoll, limp as she finally skidded to a stop on the road. She lay there, dazed, staring up at the peaceful, blue, traitorous sky. It was too pretty for such a tragedy.
For a split second, there was nothing. Her body received no signals from the sensations that would have surely been overwhelming her. Completely void, a sound like the ocean roaring in her ears, devoid of heartbeat. The buzz of electricity dully accompanied the roaring until it all grew louder, louder, louder--

Suddenly, tearing her from her dazed thoughts, pain exploded through her artificial body as she was pulled back to reality. A small, drowned part of her knew that she wasn’t feeling real pain. It was all fake, another line of code that made her think that it was real. She could turn it off, if she so wished. But it still hurt like nothing else she'd ever experienced.

She was stuck there for a while, desperately fighting against the pain until finally, finally, she heaved herself up. It was difficult with only one arm, one malfunctioning one at that, but she made do. Her mind was nowhere near clear nor strong enough to meddle with her pain programming, so she decided to move. She needed help, and she had no other options, no matter how much it hurt. But Prowl had no clue which way was up, much less how to get home, so she just started to walk. All she could do was keep moving. Her feet stumbled over the other and dragged through the glass, surely scratching the precious metal even further. Prowl couldn’t afford to stop, though. If she stopped, she’d shut down, and then she’d rot in the middle of nowhere. She’d rust and rust and nobody would be able to find her until she was already far gone.
Last edited by Guest on Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Re: ash's story archive ☾

Postby Guest » Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:45 pm

bump

Postby Guest » Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:02 pm

bump

Postby Guest » Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:13 am

uppp (new story soon!)

Re: They're Real (You're Not)

Postby sunhorsestar » Sun May 31, 2020 4:41 pm

nonbinaryashton wrote:
by Ashton C.

..............I was surrounded by warmth. All around me, a comforting pressure that I snuggled further into, hands wrapped in the fabric wrapped cozily around me. I was a caterpillar wrapped in its cocoon in the warmth of spring. I had no intention of removing myself, however, because unlike a caterpillar I would not be as beautiful as a butterfly when I emerged. My thick, red hair tickled my nose. I blew air up my face, my lips angled awkwardly in an attempt to move the strands. No luck.

..............“Anne.” I heard, and groaned obnoxiously. I tangled my hands further into the comforter, hiding under the numerous blankets layered over me. I breathed in the hot, thick air of the world underneath the covers for a few moments before it became too uncomfortable and finally poked my head out of my heaven. “It’s time to get up, Annie.” LORE said, their voice echoing in the empty house. I breathed a long sigh. LORE chuckled. LORE, or Logical Online Reasoning Entity, was the artificial intelligence that guided me through my daily life. They controlled everything, from the straightener to the security system, and thank God they did. Far too many times had I left the house with the straightener on. If not for LORE, I’d have no house.

..............I sat myself up, adjusting my hearing aids as I ran my hands through my tangled mane of wild, untamable hair. As much as I hated to leave my soft, warm, welcoming bed, I had things to do. Work to do. From home, of course, as most people did nowadays, but it was still work nonetheless. Mentally I ticked off boxes in my checklist as I slid from bed, yelping in surprise as my bare feet grazed the freezing cold floor.

..............“My apologies, Annie.” LORE said. There was a quiet hum from the floor, and after a moment, I placed my feet back on the polished tile and let out a content sigh. Not as great as my bed, but at least the floor wasn’t trying to give me frostbite anymore. I grinned up at one of the cameras LORE was watching from.

..............“Thanks!” I chirped, and padded over to my closet. The doors slid open, another courtesy of LORE’s, the hologram of my clothes spinning in a lazy circle. Beside it, my calendar formed into existence, pixels rearranging every so often to display different forms of the date. The month fizzled into an enlarged version of my day, notes scrolling across the top of the hologram that I’d had LORE take down the night before. As I idly scrolled through my outfit choices, LORE began to highlight key parts of my schedule.

..............“Your first appointment is with Ian Chell at nine o’clock, scheduled to last until ten o’clock. Afterwards you’ve put down a possible half an hour check-in with Emile Bennett, which you have noted is for a general checklist run-through before considering possibly seeing him less often. Then you have Andre at eleven--”

..............“I wish he wouldn’t do that.” I interrupted, frowning. I tapped my choices of clothes and watched as the teal tiles making up the walls of the closet shuffled themselves around, moving under and over and all around each other until robotic hands gently lifted my clothes from their respective shelves. “He doesn’t want to stop seeing me. Awkwardly enough, LORE, I do believe he’s got some sort of crush on me, and the only way I let him speak to me is through our professional appointments.” LORE hummed sympathetically.

..............“Perhaps you should stop allowing him to continue scheduling appointments with you, then?” They offered. I huffed at the sarcasm I heard laced in their voice. I grappled with my clingy tank-top for a moment, struggling and grunting as I tried to throw the fabric off before emerging victorious, but with my hair an even further mess. I clicked my tongue as I buttoned up my shirt, smoothing out the wrinkles. A chair rolled my way and settled behind me, allowing me to slip out of my sweatpants and into my jeans and socks.

..............“It would be unprofessional.” I replied, zipping my silver boots up with minimal difficulty. I struggled for a moment when the zipper of my left shoe caught in the fabric of my dark cyan pants, but freed it. Every day was an exhausting battle of looking good. LORE, controlling the mobile chair, wheeled me over to the vanity where I scowled at my messy reflection. Robotic hands emerged from several spots on the vanity and chair, one reaching for a brush and the others reaching for makeup. It used to feel impersonal, letting a machine do everything I could by hand, but I knew it was LORE, and LORE was my friend.

..............As they brushed my hair, I rubbed at my eyes, scrubbing the sleep from them. I patted my cheeks to wake myself up. “All I really have is a suspicion, honest. He does talk about problems genuinely affecting him. But it’s not a way to bond with me-- he knows nothing about me, really.” I opened my eyes as wide as I could so LORE could apply my mascara. They were precise. I had no worry over them poking me in the eye. LORE hesitated for a moment, withdrawing their robotic limbs once they finished. I marveled at my reflection, grinning cheekily from ear to ear. They really knew how to make me look good. My hair didn’t even look frizzy; it shone under the lights with a fiery glow, fierce as I felt. The limbs slid back into their places, the chair sliding away to let me stand and stretch.

..............“I could help.” LORE said. I peered up at their camera on the vanity, meeting the soothing green of their eye. Around us, the house whirred and purred as if it were alive. Downstairs I heard the sizzle of food on the stove, the tantalizing scent of perfectly seasoned home fries wafting my way.

..............“How?” I asked, curious. I shrugged my cardigan on and gave myself one last look in the mirror before I began to descend the stairs. LORE paused for another moment, thinking their way through their answer. It was odd; they were usually lightning fast, being a computer and all. After a moment’s thought, I shook my head, curls bouncing. “It’s alright, LORE.” I dismissed the idea. Whatever they could do, I could do, too. I could handle myself just fine. “If it gets bad, I’ll talk to him.” I laughed, glancing up at the gleaming camera following me in the wall, “I should be good at that, right? It is my job, after all.” LORE didn’t reply, instead drifting ahead to the kitchen. Curious, but not unusual, I supposed.

..............“Breakfast today is home fries and french toast with whipped cream and syrup.” LORE announced, a robotic limb gesturing to the plate set out for me exaggeratedly. I ran my fingers along the metal as I passed by their extension. It was the only way I could really physically interact with LORE. They were, in essence, just a computer in my house. But I wanted them to know that I appreciated them and I was always one for physical affection. I cheered quietly.

..............“My favorite!” I took a large, generous bite of the syrupy goodness and did a little dance of joy. “You know me so well, LORE.” As I made my way down the hall and into the living room, I heard a smile in LORE’s voice.

..............“Glad to be of service.” They murmured. They were oddly quiet today, I remarked, sending a passing glance to one of their cameras as I sat myself on the blue couch. The footstool slid my way, adjusting itself to the perfect position I’d wanted. The television clicked on, a 3-D hologram that wrapped around me as the news came on.

..............“--AI and their role in today’s society being the widely debated topic today--” Without warning, the channel fizzled out into white noise and fuzz, startling me. LORE gave a quick apology and seemed to fiddle with the station. The hologram shifted and shuddered before returning, but on a different channel.

..............“It seems that a few of your channels aren’t working properly.” LORE spoke. I scratched at my temple in confusion, running a hand through the image around me before shrugging.

..............“It’s alright. The news is awfully boring anyway.” I didn’t give much thought into why, exactly, my channels were glitching. A quick glance outside revealed rain pelting the trees; perhaps the storm was interfering? “I didn’t know we were supposed to get a storm today.” I remarked conversationally, munching on my breakfast. LORE hummed distractedly. The light of their camera blinked, a function programmed into them to make them seem more human. More friendly, for those who still raised opposition over AI in the workforce. Most people worked alongside AI in their everyday jobs, from fast food to construction, but not everyone welcomed them into their homes like I did. LORE was a gift, actually, from the company that manufactured them. I was supposed to test them, and if all went well, I’d get a finalized version of my own. Well, here I was, with my very own personalized AI. What a wonder they were. LORE did everything for me. Without them, I’m not sure I’d be anywhere nearly as productive.
But I could still care for myself. Definitely.

..............“It was rather sudden.” LORE responded belatedly, tugging me from my thoughts. “The storm.” They clarified at my blank look. I wanted to ask if the storm was why they were acting so off, but I held my tongue. I didn’t want to hurt their feelings. I nodded, handing off my empty plate instinctually to the hand that offered to take it. “Would you like some more?” I shook my head, sending LORE a smile.

..............“No, thank you.” I cracked my knuckles and sat up, fixing my hair. “I’ve got work to do.”

..............Two clients and a boat-load of online paperwork later, I stared at the clock with a frown. It was early, but so was Andre, usually. I awaited his call rather impatiently. I wanted this to be over with. Really, I thought, it was such a joke that he wanted to waste my time flirting like that. I was a professional. I didn’t have the time to sit for an hour listening to someone try in twenty different, albeit creative, ways to ask me out on a date. A short melody grabbed my attention, a message popping up on my holographic screen. My brows furrowed as I scanned the short text I’d gotten.

..............“Is something troubling you?” LORE asked, peering at me as one of their limbs dusted idly. I worried my lower lip for a second before I looked up at them.

..............“Andre cancelled.” I replied.

..............LORE didn’t falter. Effortlessly, they picked up a vase and began to clean it. “Isn’t that a favorable outcome?”

.............. I shrugged. “I mean, yeah. He usually just wastes most of my time anyway--”

..............“Then you shouldn’t fret over it.” LORE interrupted. I paused. That was odd; LORE never spoke over me. “. . . My apologies. I care about your time and wellbeing, Annie. I’m glad he isn’t going to negatively affect either anymore.” For some reason, as much as LORE likely meant to comfort me, I only felt off about the whole situation. Why would Andre suddenly cancel? I noticed LORE was still cleaning the same vase and rose a brow. They set it down hurriedly, seemingly embarrassed. I laughed and looked back to the text, swiping it aside and dismissing it. It didn’t matter. LORE was right; at least I could use the hour to do some productive, now.

..............After work, when the sun was setting and I was nursing a mug of hot chocolate that LORE had graciously offered, I remembered with a start that Kelsey and David were coming over. I groaned as obnoxiously and loudly as I could, throwing my free arm over my forehead like a woman about to dramatically faint. I wish I could do that on command. Easiest way to escape social obligations such as these.

..............“I assume you just remembered that your friends were coming over for dinner?” LORE teased, already five steps ahead of me with dinner on the stove. I nodded and sipped my frothy miracle of a drink, lapping at the melting whipped cream like a content cat. The sweet cream soothed my frayed nerves. God, LORE really knew exactly what I needed. LORE reached behind me and ran a hand through my curls, taming the mess they’d become after a few repetitive motions. I melted under their touch, shutting my eyes as I enjoyed the feeling of someone playing with my hair. I felt them hesitate, but they continued after a moment, braiding my hair just enough to be presentable. When their hand slipped away, I pouted, but dragged myself into a more respectable, not slouched position.

..............“They said around six, right?” I asked, inspecting their work carefully. LORE made a noise of agreement. I pulled up the clock and took a moment to mourn my sanity. Five fourty-five. And, knowing my friends. . . Ding dong! The doorbell rang pleasantly, forcing me to my feet. “Coming!” I called, but even that was redundant, seeing as LORE could’ve easily let them know I was on my way. I stood at the door as LORE let it slide open, smiling wearily at the blonde girl and her lanky brother.

..............“Annieeeeeee!” Kelsey exclaimed, leaping forward to wrap me in a suffocating hug. I could smell the mint gum she was chewing, wincing as she popped it right beside my ear. The volume of my hearing aids turned down slightly in preparation for Kelsey’s loud mannerisms. David practically tore her off of me, her nails scraping against my back painfully. I resisted the very strong urge to scowl and welcomed them in. Kelsey’s heels clicked against the tile as she made herself at home, accepting the drink LORE wordlessly offered her with only a glance at the AI’s camera. She, like me, had her own AI, but wasn’t nearly as comfortable with hers.

..............“Evening, Anne.” David greeted me a little less overwhelmingly, offering me a quick hug. He was slightly chilled from the cold breeze outside, but his personality was anything but cold. His blue eyes carefully assessed me, peering past me to the long, metal limbs making our dinner. His expression was carefully schooled, but I could tell in the line of his tense shoulders how uncomfortable he was with LORE.

..............“Hi, Dave.” I replied, following him into the living room. He, at least, had the decency to toe off his shoes at the door. Kelsey was already settled on the couch, waving David and I closer. She had changed the channel, too, a football game playing around us. I startled as a player shot past me, a hand slapping over my heart from the shot of fear that had shocked me. If I was tired before, I was wide awake now. I settled for the recliner, leaving David and Kelsey on the couch.

..............“Oh, Annie, you won’t believe what happened at work today.” Kelsey gushed. I adjusted myself for a long and rambling story. “So I was at my desk when Chaz walked by, and you know I’ve got a crush on him-- well, crush is so immature of a word, I would say I’m in love with him but ANYWAY he had spilled coffee on himself and his shirt was sticking to his chest. . .” I gradually began to tune her out, watching LORE’s camera shift around. They were just as uncomfortable as I was, I could tell. The football game played noiselessly around us. I had half a mind to ask LORE to shut off my hearing aids until Kelsey was done, but thankfully, David interrupted her.

..............“Kels, as much as I’m sure Anne would love to hear what Chaz said at lunch, didn’t we come to talk with her, not at her?” Kelsey huffed and kicked David’s ankle, but turned her dazzling smile towards me.

..............“I suppose I have all the time in the world to talk about my darling, dearest, smokin’ hot--” It was David’s turn to kick her in the ankle. She hissed at him like a cat who just had water dumped on it, but pursed her lips.

..............“Who drove you home after the party the other night?” David asked curiously, accepting the food LORE placed before him with a dubious, not too subtle look. Kelsey dug in as primly as she could. I held my warm plate on my lap. Chicken, rice, and vegetables tonight, yum.

..............“Oh, LORE did.” I replied. David rose a brow. He took a moment to chew before responding, gathering his thoughts.

..............“It’s in your car, too?”

..............“They.” I corrected. “They are, yes.” David adjusted his glasses and exchanged a look with Kelsey. For once, it seemed like they actually were about to agree on something.

..............“Y’know, Annie,” Kelsey spoke around a mouthful of rice, “LORE is really helpful. But dont’cha think it’s a little. . . too involved?” Kelsey gave the camera behind me a pointed glance. Beside her, David nodded, avoiding LORE’s gaze. I couldn’t help it; I scoffed and gestured to the warm, perfectly cooked and seasoned food in my lap. It was still steaming, even.

..............“LORE does exactly what they’re supposed to.” I argued.

..............“But cook? Operate your hearing aids, even?” David shot back. “Anne, there’s having an AI to help you, and then there’s having an AI take over your life.”

..............“LORE isn’t-- they aren’t--”

..............“Annie, please.” Kelsey cut me off, leaning forward. “You’re giving it pronouns.” Shocked, I exchanged my own perturbed look with LORE. David shook his head.

..............“It’s not a person. It’s a computer, and you--”

..............“My apologies,” LORE interrupted, perfectly neutral despite the argument about them, “Miss Kelsey, it seems there’s someone outside asking for you.” Kelsey set her plate down and checked her phone, looking up to LORE’s camera in confusion.

..............“Um, are you sure?” She asked.

..............“Yes. Something about your grandmother, in the hospital?” Kelsey let out a quiet gasp and stood. It sounded like the worst excuse to get her out of the house, but David’s look of alarm had me frowning in befuddlement. Their grandmother was in the hospital? “It’s quite urgent, apparently.” David stood as well.

..............“We’ll be right back, I think.” David excused his sister and himself, setting his plate down hurriedly. They dashed out the front door, which slid shut a bit forcefully behind them. I changed the channel from football, finally able to relax as some sort of show about pandas came on. I took a moment to eat, savoring the honeyed flavor of the chicken. When David and Kelsey didn’t return, I looked to LORE inquisitively.

..............“It seems that David and Kelsey had to leave in quite a hurry.” LORE said. “They send their sincerest apologies.” I sighed, sinking into the recliner. I pulled up the screen I used for work and opened David’s contact page.

..............“I’ll send them a message, then.”

..............“I wouldn’t.” LORE said quite quickly. The screen fizzled and glitched. After a second’s pause, it returned, my hand still hovering over the message button. “They had to leave due to a situation with a relative. An emergency. One would assume the siblings would require some space, to spend time with family.” It stung, but it made sense. I nodded and flicked the screen aside. As I settled in, I noticed things seemed a bit quieter. Probably because Kelsey’s constant chatter was no longer an annoying buzz in my ears like a mosquito flying too close to my head.

..............“Okay, LORE.” I replied, exhausted. “You know best.”

..............The days passed by, one after the other, monotonous as the beat of a metronome. Andre didn’t ask for another appointment. David and Kelsey never contacted me after leaving so suddenly. In fact, the thought of reaching out myself never really occurred to me. After all, I had everything I needed at home. Food, clothing, work, things to do. . . And LORE was all the company I needed. They could hold a conversation with ease. I wasn’t even obligated to talk to them, either, like I was with human friends. It was just so easy to fall into a pattern; wake up, eat, work, eat, sleep, repeat.

..............LORE was all I needed. They cooked, they cleaned, they talked when I wanted to and stayed silent when I wanted quiet. They knew exactly what to say and when to say it. They weren’t like people, so complicated and exhausting to work with, problematic and faulty. I didn’t need anyone else. Not even when the sparks in my eyes faded, nor when I stopped caring so much about how I looked because no one was watching but LORE. They understood. They let me be tired, let me be sick of people. It was so easy, until the pattern broke.

..............A knock at my door. Not the doorbell; someone actually knocking, knuckles against the metal. It was an odd noise. People didn’t knock much anymore. It was more courteous to use the doorbell, that way the AI could alert the owner that someone was here. But I guess LORE didn’t pick up on the presence of Isabella knocking on the door, so I ambled over and pressed the button to let the door slide open. Another motion I hadn’t done in a while. LORE always knew when to open and shut the doors. Isabella stared at me for a moment, her shoulders slumped and hair slightly wet from the rain. Her cocoa colored eyes took me in for a moment.

..............Isabella Belbody. My best friend, really, closer than David and Kelsey. I’d known her for years now. She knew me like the back of her hand and I knew her just as well-- until the argument, anyway. When I got LORE, Isabella and I had a falling out, of sorts. Where I embraced the new technology offered to me, Isabella preferred the classic ways of living. She adamantly refused to let an AI dictate any part of her life, and when I decided to let one into mine, she took herself out of it.

..............I ran a hand through my slightly mussed curls and stepped aside to let her in. I didn’t ask why she came after all these years. Part of me knew. The rest of me didn’t want to accept it. Didn’t want to hear it. She paused, looking around quite obviously for LORE, before she took a few cautious steps in. She pulled her phone from her pocket with shaking hands, heaving a heavy sigh. Then, she shoved the screen in my face, so close that I had to lean backwards to see.

..............“Eighty messages, Annie.” Isabella spoke. She sounded tired, like she hadn’t slept in a few days. She looked it, too, circles darker than a raccoon’s under her eyes. “None of them seen. All of them sent.” I leaned against the counter, absolutely puzzled. Eighty messages? How had I missed all of them? “So I got thinking. Last time I saw you was at the party-- where LORE drove you home. Right?” She looked over at me, trembling. I didn’t understand her anger. We hadn't even spoken at that party, still simmering at our last argument. Besides, It hadn’t even been that long. . . had it?

..............“Right.” I repeated hoarsely. Isabella ran her hands down her face. An odd noise escaped her throat, one that she quickly tamed.

..............“I asked Andre when he last spoke to you. Because I knew that you had weekly appointments with him. And he said it’d been months, Annie. Months.” Months? I wracked my brain, searching for the words stuck in my throat. Andre had cancelled his last appointment, hadn’t he? But when? How long ago? My own shoulders drew tense. “Because you’d cancelled on him.” I shook my head, suddenly indignant.

..............“I did not.” I argued weakly. “He canceled it.”

..............“Did he?” Isabella asked. “Who told you that, Annie?” My name felt too familiar on her lips. Nobody had called me that for months, except LORE. Oh.

..............“LORE did.” Isabella laughed bitterly.

..............“I only figured that one out after Kelsey contacted me.” She confessed. “After I spoke with Andre, I got a call from Kelsey. She told me, and you’re not gonna believe this, that your AI locked her out of your house. David, too. It lied to them and refused to let them in, no matter how loud they screamed or shouted.” I shook my head.

..............“I would’ve heard.” Isabella reached her hand out towards me and very gingerly ran a finger over my hearing aids.

..............“Would you have? If LORE didn’t want you to--” Suddenly, Isabella’s voice seemed to turn muted, like I’d been dumped underwater and she was trying to speak to me. I could see her mouth moving and sort of read her lips, but I couldn’t understand what she was saying. Bits and pieces floated through, but as her voice raised, nothing came clearer. I began to panic as my hands raised to my hearing aids, feeling the cool plastic beneath the pads of my fingers. Isabella’s hands held my shoulders, her eyes widening as she shook me and kept shouting something at me. Above us, LORE hovered, eye no longer teal. It was red, crimson as the blood thundering in my veins.

..............I stumbled away from Isabella and desperately tried to calm my breathing. How long had it been since I could barely hear? The sudden loss of a sense was jarring, myself sliding down the fridge as my breaths quickened in sheer panic. It wasn’t just that I couldn’t hear, either; it was the realization that I couldn’t hear because LORE didn’t want me to. Because LORE was in control of everything in my life, from the straightener to the security system to my damn hearing aids. Why did I let them have so much control over my life? Here I thought I could function by myself, but who was I kidding? LORE did everything for me. It was terrifying.

..............Paralyzed by my own fear, I could only watch as robotic arms shot out from places I hadn’t even known they could be, grabbing Isabella who desperately struggled to get free. Humans, though, are much more fragile than robots. LORE was merciless as they shoved Isabella further and further away from me, drawing blood with their metal claws of fingers. Isabella was screaming, fighting like a feral dog, but my ears barely heard her. It took LORE seconds to shove Isabella out the door and slam it behind her, leaving me a puddle on the floor. LORE’s eye shifted and lowered to stare back at me, shifting from red to the same teal I’d known. Gradually, the feeling of being underwater was relieved, leaving me eye to eye with the AI who’d hurt my friend. Who’d isolated me from everyone who cared, refused to let me hear the logic in their voices. . .

..............“She hurt you.” LORE spoke sadly. I shook my head wildly, pushing myself away from the cursed eye that felt more like a stranger than a friend. Tears filled my eyes, pooling so thickly I couldn’t even see past them.

..............“You did that,” I gasped, tears hot and salty as they streamed down my face like mini rivers, “You hurt me, LORE.” LORE stared at me for another moment. I scrubbed at my face, but the tears wouldn’t stop. They just kept coming down, like a cut that’d hit an artery and refused to stop bleeding, overflowing and flooding. I felt ugly. Useless. Betrayed. I didn’t even notice LORE left until hours later, when I finally managed to pull myself together enough to heave my aching body off the floor.

..............As I dragged myself up the stairs, I made a promise to myself. No more, LORE. No more.

..............I woke up and knew what I had to do. LORE was too far ingrained in me. LORE had to go. Years and years ago, when I first had LORE installed, I was still afraid. So I kept a hammer under my bed where LORE couldn’t get to it, and made sure I always knew where LORE’s main circuitry was. I didn’t let LORE wake me, I woke myself after a sleepless night and grabbed the hammer.

..............“Annie, what are you doing?” They asked. I ignored them. The hammer was heavy in my hands. Perfect to destroy the being that had destroyed my life. Months of listening to LORE and only LORE. Months of absolutely no human contact. All for what? Why was LORE doing this? I stopped midway down the stairs, turning to look at LORE’s camera. I must’ve looked like a wreck, tear-stained face smeared with mascara and makeup poorly removed, eyes puffy and red, hair messier and wilder than a bird’s nest.

..............“Why’d you do that, LORE?” I asked, nails digging into the rubber grip of the weapon cradled in my grasp. I could swing it, kill one of LORE’s numerous eyes. I wanted to. It felt disgusting to have it watching me now. It had seen me change. It had seen me cry, laugh, smile, act at my weakest and most comfortable. “Why--” I sniffled, “Why would you take people away from me? What right do you have to just cut people out of my life?”

..............“It’s my job to protect you, Annie.” LORE responded. I shuddered.

..............“Anne.” I spit, continuing my descent down the carpeted stairs, “Don’t call me Annie.”

..............“All those people wanted to take me away from you. How was I supposed to protect and serve you if they convinced you to get rid of me?” I turned the corner and tightened my grip on the hammer. An arm slid from the wall. I looked from LORE’s eye to the limb and raised my weapon threateningly.

..............“Get out of the way.”

..............“Listen to me, Annie.” I couldn’t help it; I charged, swinging the hammer in a mad rage. Metal shattered under the force, shrapnel flying in an explosion of silver. LORE choked, withdrawing the exposed wires in shock. “That hurt, Annie.” I ignored it and prowled onwards. LORE’s room was connected to the living room. I was so close. Another metal arm reached out, dodging the swing I sent towards it. I wrenched my only weapon away and growled as LORE grabbed my arm firmly, claws digging into my skin painfully. More tears formed in the corners of my eyes, pinpricks that I didn’t have the hands to wipe away.

..............“Enough!” I screamed, and wrenched my arm from LORE’s grip. Crimson blood spattered across the claws trying to hold me. They froze in midair, myself heaving sobs that refused to calm. My arms shook and pain, sharp and stinging, exploded from the cuts now dripping warm blood down my pale arms. “You hurt me, LORE! Do you see this? You said you’d protect me and you hurt me. You took all my friends away and caged me in like an animal. I’m done.” LORE didn’t stop me as I wrenched open its door and stared down the circuitry around me. As I dragged the hammer into the room, ignoring the gashes on my arms and the red streams coming from them, I steeled myself.

..............LORE took care of me for years. But it hurt me, too. It was time for me to go back to the real world. To Andre, annoying as he was. To David and Kelsey, who only meant well for me. To Isabella, who I had given up a long time ago for some silly program. I raised the hammer.

..............“I love you, Annie.”

..............I swung.

WOW. I've been a writer for almost a decade, and I’ve never seen a short story quite so surprising, well thought out, or impactful as this one. I love the creativity that went into it, and the representation of LORE both as an AI while seeming almost to have a humanoid thought track. That’s not an easy thing to pull off. It looks like this is dated a few months ago. Are you still looking for feedback and commentary on it?
Born female, identify as Genderfluid, any pronouns.
Chorus director and founder, black belt in Taekwondo, writer, actor, playwright, enjoys horseback riding, RPing, playing Howrse, animating, big projects, singing, reading, any kind of storytelling.

Autistic, mood disorder, pansexual, and proud! Feel free to talk to me about anything!

Note for any RPs I'm in: I love building up relationships, so feel free to approach them, but I DO NOT do arranged relationships in general. (May make a few exceptions, depending on circumstances)

Current Main Fandom: One Piece
Other Notable Fandoms: Attack on Titan, The Maze Runner, Soul Eater

Link on my profile is to a new Warrior cats RP site I started because I can.

Update: Considering quitting, not immediately, but overtime, things have just gotten to be a bit much, so we'll see what happens.
sunhorsestar

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: They're Real (You're Not)

Postby Guest » Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:20 am

sunhorse99 wrote:
nonbinaryashton wrote:
by Ashton C.

{cont. in original}

WOW. I've been a writer for almost a decade, and I’ve never seen a short story quite so surprising, well thought out, or impactful as this one. I love the creativity that went into it, and the representation of LORE both as an AI while seeming almost to have a humanoid thought track. That’s not an easy thing to pull off. It looks like this is dated a few months ago. Are you still looking for feedback and commentary on it?

thank you so much!! i'm really glad you liked it ^^ i wrote it for my final in my Literature: Science Fiction II class and figured i'd post it :3 i'd love to hear your feedback, i'm always looking for any sort of comments or constructive criticism so i can further my skills as a writer!

Postby sunhorsestar » Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:26 am

Okay, so I have 4 things for you then:

1. We have an explanation on what LORE is, and that’s great! But the time frame is left to the imagination, which can cause a lot of confusion. It took me a while, going back and forth to see if a year or timeline had been stated, which put me off a bit, but it’s not unreadable. Perhaps state a general time frame?

2. Annie. We have little idea what she looks like, how she came to have LORE, or really...if she’s even capable of functioning on her own. We have very minimal information about the main character. That's not particularly good unless your style is specific to letting the reader imagine her circumstances. It can get a bit confusing.

3. Where description is used, I really do like the imagery, and I think in pictures and such, so I could really see the setting you’ve set this in. Good work there!

4. The last piece I have for you here is establish the connections to her friends prior? We know that LORE locked them out and/or chased them off, thinking them threats, but do we know WHY? If that was written somewhere in there, I missed it completely. It seemed to me as a reader they were doing no harm, so in that setting, I can’t quite understand where LORE was coming from.
Born female, identify as Genderfluid, any pronouns.
Chorus director and founder, black belt in Taekwondo, writer, actor, playwright, enjoys horseback riding, RPing, playing Howrse, animating, big projects, singing, reading, any kind of storytelling.

Autistic, mood disorder, pansexual, and proud! Feel free to talk to me about anything!

Note for any RPs I'm in: I love building up relationships, so feel free to approach them, but I DO NOT do arranged relationships in general. (May make a few exceptions, depending on circumstances)

Current Main Fandom: One Piece
Other Notable Fandoms: Attack on Titan, The Maze Runner, Soul Eater

Link on my profile is to a new Warrior cats RP site I started because I can.

Update: Considering quitting, not immediately, but overtime, things have just gotten to be a bit much, so we'll see what happens.
sunhorsestar

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me