โ—ฃ โœ’ ๐ฟ๐ธ๐‘‡๐ฟ๐ผ๐‘‡. โ‹ฎ ๐–๐ซ๐ข๐ญ๐ข๐ง๐  ๐€๐๐ฏ๐ข๐œ๐ž โ—ฅ

Are you a writer or a poet? Come and share your creations with us, or discuss writing techniques with others
Forum rules
Please only post your own original work, do not post poetry or stories which were written by someone else.

What's the hardest thing about writing?

Creating an interesting plot/story
22%
Making the characters, setting, etc.
8%
Grammar/diction/syntax etc.
8%
Writing, itself... ;__;
29%
Sharing my writing to the world
13%
Nothing! So easy, HA HA.
2%
Conveying ideas coherently/worrying about misinterpretation
16%

Total votes : 85

Re: โ—ฃ โœ’ โ‹ฎ ๐–๐ซ๐ข๐ญ๐ข๐ง๐  ๐€๐๐ฏ๐ข๐œ๐ž ๐“๐ก๐ซ๐ž๐š๐ โ—ฅ

Postby Tsukแป‰ » Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:34 am

@Hi My Name Is ____

To be fair some literature set back in historical times usually features their characters speaking 'normally' for the era, (because you actually want people to understand you) while the side characters may have some dialects or accents. It could get annoying if someone starts speaking in ye olde Shakespearian English for 500 pages, for example, in a book that takes place durings the 1500/1600s. The 1700/1800s have similar English in general (to modern day, as you said) but the way of speaking is... peppered with dead words and whatnot.

However I think you should also consider:

- Where was she born/raised?
      - Was her family rich or poor? Or neither?
      - What kind of influences did she have in her youth? Were they good or bad?
      - Is she shy? Loud?

Because ultimately, from personal experience, it all goes down with a combination of things. For example, even if a character is raised in a household with foul language, they may grow up to not use them. However, an interesting thing may be that the character says cusses, however doesn't understand that they carry a strong meaning and will say them without the insulting intention. (I know this from experience *shudder*) Don't treat this as an absolute, but there's what I thought of.

โ•”
โ•‘
โ•‘
โ•‘
โ•‘
โ•‘
โ•‘
โ•‘
โ•‘
โ•‘
โ•‘
โ•‘
โ•‘
โ•‘
โ•š
โ•โ•โ•โ•
โ” โ” โ” โ”
โ” โ” โ” โ”
โ” โ” โ” โ”
Hello my
name is
Tsuki or
Akarin~
I like ma
-king sig
natures!
+genshin
โ” โ” โ” โ”
โ• โ• โ•
โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–‘
โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–‘
โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–‘
โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–‘
โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–‘

โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–‘
โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–‘
โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–‘
โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–‘
โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–‘
โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–‘
โžžโžž
TEXT
TEXT

โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–‘
โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–‘

โ• โ•โ•โ•โ• โ• โ•
โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•คโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ€ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ

โ” โ” โ” โ” โ” โ” โ”
๐™๐™Š๐˜พ๐˜ผ๐™‡๐™Š๐™๐™Ž LVL. 90
๐˜พ๐™‡๐™Š๐™Ž๐™€ ๐˜ฝ๐™Š๐™๐™ƒ ๐™Š๐™ ๐™”๐™Š๐™๐™
๐™€๐™”๐™€๐™Ž ๐˜ผ๐™‰๐˜ฟ ๐™๐™€๐™€๐™‡ โ” โ”
โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ
โ–ˆโ–ˆ
โ–ˆโ–ˆ
โ—ฅโ–ˆ
โ†ฏโ€ˆโ–ˆ
โ”‚โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ
โ”‚โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ

โ•ฐโ€‚โ” โ” โ” โ” โ” โ” โ” โ” โ” โ” โ” โ” โ” โ”
โคด๏ธŽโ–ˆโ–ˆ
PANO
Rอ Aอ Mอ A
Pอ Aอ Nอ O
Rอ Aอ Mอ A
โ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ
Tsukแป‰

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: โ—ฃ โœ’ โ‹ฎ ๐–๐ซ๐ข๐ญ๐ข๐ง๐  ๐€๐๐ฏ๐ข๐œ๐ž ๐“๐ก๐ซ๐ž๐š๐ โ—ฅ

Postby .Cas. » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:20 am

@Atermis makes a good point.

@Hi My Name Is______ Side Note: Are you well versed in your history?
Iโ€™m leaving the site. Anything that is unlocked in my trades or items is up for grabs. PM me for locked pets or C$
.Cas.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Hi My Name Is ____ » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:59 am

@Atermis - Thank you so much for the advice!
@.Cas. - Lol, not really... But I am working on it! I think my plan of action will be to write what I can while the idea is still raw, and then do my homework. It's probably the wrong way to go about it, lol, but I think it'll be good for me. Anyway, the answer to your question is no. I probably should have before posting, but I have a strange way of going about things, lol.
hahah, Hi. I'm a person. And I don't know what I'm doing. Yay!!!! Cluelessnesss! I sometimes write... I rarely draw, but I still do it. I'm pretty boring, and I am fluent in sarcasm. If I say something rude, I don't acutally mean it. It's just how I am...
Hi My Name Is ____

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby .Cas. » Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:11 am

You must always research first.

Always.

The Civil War is exceptionally rich in history about before, during, and after.

Using Virginia as an example (you said Georgia, but whatever). You would need to know that on October 16th, 1859, a northern abolitionist named John Brown raided the quaint town of Harperโ€™s Ferry. This raid is actually very important for Virginia (and all of the war quite honestly). Two years later, Virginia split up into West Virginia and Virginia due to the argument of the โ€œpeculiar institutionโ€.

Also, John Brownโ€™s Raid was a turning point that made the southnerโ€™s prepare for war- they feared the north were all Brown loving republicans who wanted to kill all whites who owned slaves.

This is just one example of what I mean about research being important. You may have overlooked this as a cause of the war.

Also, since youโ€™re using Georgia, you may want to be familiar with Tecumseh Sherman, and the Atlanta campaign ;)
Iโ€™m leaving the site. Anything that is unlocked in my trades or items is up for grabs. PM me for locked pets or C$
.Cas.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby .Cas. » Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:45 am

Revive!

(Warning: This Post will be long.)

Iโ€™m struggling a bit with something. I have four characters, all four of which are middle aged teachers of some sort. They all teach at the same high school.

The plot of my story sort of goes like this:
These four teachers (weโ€™ll call them A B C and D) all work in the same hallway together, nestled away from the rest of the school. The novel is written by teacher A, the protagonist of the novel. He is a laid back English teacher who was originally a super famous novelist in his universe. Heโ€™s friends with teachers B, C, and D and has worked with the three of them for ten or so years.

After this ten or so year lapse, everything that can go wrong goes wrong. All of them face some sort of different struggle. Afterwards, they are no longer affiliated with the school, and given the label of Heretic (thatโ€™s a different story). Let me give you an idea of whatโ€™s happening to each of them, in this order.

Teacher D: Heโ€™s a very loud, outgoing, and rowdy individual. Heโ€™s beloved by literally everyone in the school for being an overall good person. Heโ€™s also very animated in his style of teaching. Not everyone loves that, and one of his students reports him for supposedly coming off as โ€œtoo intimidatingโ€. He doesnโ€™t get fired, but when the school tries to change his personality, he quits.

Teacher C: I donโ€™t exactly know what I want to happen to him yet (suggestions are welcome). Heโ€™s this very calculated and short tempered math teacher who is very tough on his students. Heโ€™s going to do something wrong that results in his firing, who knows what though. (The first draft had him get arrested- I thought that was going too far.)

Teacher B: loosing his friends is making him start to loose hope. He begins isolating himself from his other friend (teacher A) and just shuts out everything. Heโ€™s been crazy paranoid from the start, and itโ€™s kind of saved him for this long.
However, he slowly begins adapting the teaching styles of C and D, and thatโ€™s where you think his misfortunate would lie, right? NOPE! His wife dies. He leaves his young son with teacher D and A while heโ€™s making preparations for his wifeโ€™s funeral, and is killed in a car crash. This of course is slightly problematic for A and D later.

A is about to get in trouble, but never does. Heโ€™s uncovered that all three of his friends (arguably not B, his car crash was likely not involved) are now in unfortunate circumstances because of two girls who wanted revenge against all four of them.

My PROBLEM is this; I want to make it a slice of life story, and develop the story and characters before these events in a way that isnโ€™t super boring to the reader. I want to establish their relationships with each other, and the two said girls. How do I do this without boring a reader to tears?
.Cas.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby .Cas. » Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:31 pm

@ellabeth

Thank you!
.Cas.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby TheSongOfTheStars » Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:21 am

I would like to!

If crediting me for art/character design then please use TheSongOfTheStars on Toyhou.se
or FiveSecondsToFly on deviantart for anywhere else
TheSongOfTheStars

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Tsukแป‰ » Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:39 pm

ellabeth wrote:
      would anyone be willing to read the โ€˜prologueโ€™ of my current project? Itโ€™s a raw draft - havenโ€™t touched it editing wise once. Itโ€™s historical fiction!

Second this! Would love to read.

Tsukแป‰

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby .Cas. » Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:42 pm

do you believe the 'strong female character' lead trope has become cliche? why, or why not?

Absolutely not. โ€œStrongโ€ can mean so many things. They can be physically strong. They can be mentally strong. They can be emotionally strong.

We donโ€™t see enough mentally strong female characters. A lot of female protagonists simply fold when you push trouble their way. I hope to see more protagonists kick butt when facing mental trauma.

Before someone says The Hunger Games, no.

Just no lol.
.Cas.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby TheSongOfTheStars » Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:05 pm

do you believe the 'strong female character' lead trope has become cliche? why, or why not?
I believe to a point, yes, the strong female characters I see in media have become a cliche. But I think that is only because of lazy/bad writing. I think strong "well developed" female characters are still a thing we very much need

If crediting me for art/character design then please use TheSongOfTheStars on Toyhou.se
or FiveSecondsToFly on deviantart for anywhere else
TheSongOfTheStars

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me