Chaosclan Writing Thread

Are you a writer or a poet? Come and share your creations with us, or discuss writing techniques with others
Forum rules
Please only post your own original work, do not post poetry or stories which were written by someone else.

Chaosclan Writing Thread

Postby Kazin » Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:38 am

Writing for Chaosclan on Create a Clan.

Chaosclan's Archive
Last edited by Kazin on Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kazin
Global Moderator

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Chapter 1 - The End of the World

Postby Kazin » Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:48 pm

The world has stopped. At least for the Twolegs, it seems. Cats, dogs, prey, fish... they're all still here. But where did all the Twolegs go? Raptorstar, or just plain Raptor, as he was called before the end of the Twoleg world, witnessed them just... disappear. How?

Raptor had been watching the Twolegs from afar, a usual past time for him. He was watching their food, the scraps they were going to throw away. He usually preferred hunting his own food but... with so many Twolegs in this area, and so many others fighting for the meager pickings, sometimes it was easier to deal with Twoleg food. Some of it wasn't half bad, if you knew what you were looking for. Plus, he was starving; anything would taste good right now.

"Come on, just leave the rest," Raptor growled, trying to ignore the pang of hunger in his belly. It was almost like the Twolegs were taunting him, letting out laughs and waving the food in their hands around. "Put it down."

Almost like he had cast a spell himself, at his last word they just started... leaving. Maybe not even leaving, but they vanished. One by one, the field he had been watching that was once full of Twolegs and their kits, running around, throwing things, screaming... it was empty. They were gone. The food the one he had been staring at lay on the grass now, abandoned. It seemed he wasn't the only cat that witnessed this strange turn of events; a couple more came blinking out of the treeline a few catlengths away. He shared an incredulous look with them, but Raptor shrugged. At least he could eat.

Padding up to the food, he ate it in a few swift bites, not quite enjoying the feeling of it hitting his stomach like he thought he would. At least there would be food now, without the Twolegs.

"Hey, I had my eyes on that first," a voice growled behind Raptor, causing him to whirl around. A tough cat stared at him, one he noticed before. Raptor only gave the newcomer a sly smile.
    "Sorry, bud. Gotta be quick if you want the best pickings."
    Another growl. Raptor wasn't worried, though; he had never lost a fight. Though he quickly realized he had picked the wrong cat to taunt as the cat rose to his full height, ears pinning back and his mouth curling into a snarl.
    "Wrong answer."

The bigger cat lunged at Raptor, quicker than the blue lynx would have imagined. The battle was over before it even truly began, Raptor receiving a series of scratches to his face. He yowled in pain as the other cat sprinted away, ignoring Raptor's pain.
    "The world is changing, son," the cat snarled from somewhere farther away. Raptor couldn't see him anymore, at least not with his good eye. "You better be prepared for it."

How could he prepare for the end of the world that had already come? He would need guidance. And guidance he got, as Raptor finally decided to turn his face to the stars, asking his ancestors he once abandoned for their help.
Kazin
Global Moderator

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Chapter 2

Postby Kazin » Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:34 am

Things definitely were not going to be easy. The stranger that had taken Raptorstar's eye was right. But Raptor had always been a fighter, and he would continue to fight. Always. Starclan, though he had once turned his back on them, seemed agreeable to help, just as shaken up by this sudden worldly change as Raptor had been. He had a long discussion with someone he didn't think he'd have to see again.

"Raptor," a cold voice rang out, making Raptor shiver even though there was no cold. He couldn't feel in this dream-like state, and he hated it. He had always hated it. "You finally turned your face to us, instead of your back. We should deny you right here, and we would, if the times weren't strange. Explain yourself."

Raptor steeled himself for a few moments, drawing a deep breath. "Father..." he only managed to spit out one word, realizing nothing good would happen if he kept an attitude. He needed help, not to turn his back again. Raptor sighed, closing his eyes briefly before staring at the starry pelt of his father. "I have come because I realize I was wrong to turn my back to Starclan. I realize that I cannot survive in this strange world; my eye is enough proof that I need."

His father nodded, an almost amused look coming to his eyes. "So we are only tools for you if you need help?"

Raptor nearly growled. He suspected this was how the conversation would go. "I understand that my actions have been frustrating. I can not and will not continue to turn my back to my ancestors. I am willing to put my trust back in them."
    Now his father did laugh, though it didn't sound like he was amused anymore. "You make it sound like you just denied our existence. Really, it would have been better if you had. No, instead you decided to believe in something - the Dark Forest."

"I only did that because I had no reason to believe in Starclan anymore! I thought they, that you, had turned their back on me!" Raptor did his best to keep the anger out of his voice, but he was failing. He remembered going to Starclan in desperation, asking them to do something, do anything, for his mate and unborn kits who had been taken from him. They had been stolen by Twolegs. He had no idea where they want, but Starclan knew. They always knew. But they refused to tell him where they were, so he could at least see them.

"Of course we turned our back on you, we-" Raptor's father was cut off by another approaching figure, having only been watching from behind until now. "Enough!" The sharp voice rang out, and Raptor's father immediately flinched, his tail twitching, backing away; though not before he cast one last glare at Raptor. Raptor did not cringe under his father's stare as he once might have.

"Raptor. You have come asking us for help. As your father has already said, normally we would not offer help to a cat who has denounced us entirely and thoroughly. However, given the circumstances of both your past, and I admit, our past mistakes, and that you were even willing to face us after what you had done... we will help you."

A surge of excitement rose up in Raptor's chest. Yes! They would help! But the hope was cut short when the leader gave him a sharp look. "We will help you... with one condition. We will only give you five lives for your clan, whatever you call it. We will require you to find a second leader for your clan, and we will give them a life ceremony of four lives. It will do you well to have someone to keep you in check."

"I understand," Raptor said, looking down at his feet so that the starry cat could not see the angry flash of his eyes. He could do this on his own, but they weren't going to even give him a chance. "Thank you."
    The large tom did indeed receive his five lives after that, though he was fuming even after he became Raptorstar. This world has become nothing but chaos... he nearly yowled out loud - though he didn't want to attract any unwanted attention in his new camp he had made. No more attention besides the one cat Starclan had sent - a hunter to help him gather prey to hopefully attract new clan members. Duskwillow was her name, and she normally kept to herself. Raptorstar hadn't seen much of her yet, but he didn't care.

The world became chaos. Yes. That was exactly what he needed to produce, if he was going to survive in a world of chaos. Chaosclan. They would bring more entropy to the already savage world. Chaosclan would fight back. Raptorstar gave himself a small smile, ready to tackle any obstacle that was thrown his way.
Kazin
Global Moderator

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Chapter 3 - update?

Postby Kazin » Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:35 am

It was such a stupid speculation, requiring Raptorstar to find a second leader. He hated that Starclan felt the need to do it, and they were getting impatient with him. He would have to come to an agreement to get a second leader soon, he knew, or they would no longer support him. He would abandon them again if he thought he would be able to survive in this world without them, but he knew he couldn't. He needed them. So for now, he had to keep the search open for another leader. Someone he could work with...

Raptor almost thought he got an answer when he ran into, quite literally, a fluffy tom while out on patrol. Crow, he said his name was. He had been ready to use his claws, though Raptor diffused the situation enough to make the big tom understand he was growing a clan. Crow's interest seemed to pique after that, and the tom followed Raptorstar back to the clan's camp. It was then that Raptor realized he would make a great second in command. A soldier, he decided. Crow's only interest, it seemed, was patrolling. He loved tracking, he loved meeting new cats, and he often could tell if they were friend or foe. A necessity, in this day and age. As Crow became Fallencrow, Raptorstar allowed him to be in charge of patrols. Perhaps, he decided, he would have three soldiers; one in charge of each type of patrol, and then he and this other leader could both keep the soldiers in check, and keep each other in check, if it was going to be necessary to have two.

Maybe it would all come together after all...

There was still one little blip in the whole idea of leading a clan... not every cat enjoyed his leading style. Duskwillow was proving to be a difficult counterpart, someone who thought she would be better suited to leading the clan, although she was all talk. She was never going to leave, though it didn't make her sassy personality any easier to deal with.

Fallencrow and Longbranch were easy to deal with, though they didn't seem to enjoy Raptorstar's company. Not that the leader could blame them... he knew he was surly. Ever since he had received his scars, since the world had turned it's back on him, he decided to turn his back on the world. Never again would he let anyone wrong him, because he wouldn't let anyone get close to him. At least, that's what he thought he would do. It was certainly hard to get a clan going when you didn't want to go out and meet new cats...
Kazin
Global Moderator

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Chapter 4 - Duskwillow

Postby Kazin » Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:36 am

"You know, it's not this bad in other parts of the world." Amberdawn came to Chaosclan as the voice of reason, trying to get them to leave. But now, Raptorstar had something to prove. He was stubborn, and he refused. Though Amberdawn didn't understand his decision, she respected it, offering to stay as the clan's new medicine cat.

A lifesaver, Raptorstar thought. Finally, something can go right.

The impending doom of Leafbare brought worry to the leader. With so few cats, and so few able to go hunting because of the scarce prey... he wasn't sure if the clan would last a journey, whether he wanted to leave or not. Amberdawn may be right in that other parts of the world were better, but how could his clan see that side of the world if they couldn't even survive the journey? Just get through Leafbare, he told himself, chanting the words with each step he took. They could make it. Starclan was sending cats each moon, and they could grow. They could find better spots to hunt. It would all work out in the end.

Fallencrow had appeared to be a good choice for Raptorstar's soldier. He was good at delegating, and good at making sure no cat got more servings than they needed. What was more, Duskwillow seemed to respect him, which was more Raptorstar could saw for himself. The she-cat would roll her eyes consistently at whatever order Raptorstar gave, though she never did leave the clan like she said she would, because of Raptorstar. He suspected that she was too scared to try and survive without a clan, without the protection the rest of the cats offered. Duskwillow was fast, sure, and a good hunter, but she was not strong.

Raptorstar found out about her unfortunate weak fighting skills during a mock battle he had set up for the few cats in the clan. He needed to make sure they could protect each other, that they could protect themselves. "Every cat, pair up." Amberdawn had
    been exempt, watching from afar as she sorted out herbs she could use and set up a medicine storage in her den. Longbranch and Fallencrow, friends since they had met each other after the start of this supposed apocalypse, were quick to choose each other, much to Duskwillow's disappointment, but it was more than just her distaste in Raptorstar's leadership. He could see genuine fear behind the she-cat's eyes.

"Scared that I'll actually hurt you?" Raptorstar asked quietly, unsure of what to make of her fear. He knew he was intimidating, that she didn't like him, but his scars were proof enough that he was more prone to letting himself get hurt than hurting others unless absolutely necessary. Duskwillow said nothing, narrowing her eyes and taking a defensive stance.

Raptorstar shrugged, leaping at her as Longbranch and Fallencrow started their own battle, already taunting each other like brothers, playfully. They were fairly evenly matched. It was clear right from the start that Raptorstar and Duskwillow were far from evenly matched; the she-cat cowered away, not even trying to fight back.

"Wha?-" Raptorstar began, standing up straight as the other two toms looked on as well.

Duskwillow could only manage a slight shake of her head as Longbranch and Fallencrow stopped their battle, silence creeping across the training area like the world was ending all over again. "I can't," she mumbled after a few moments, glaring at Raptorstar. "I won't fight, and I can't fight, ok?"

Confusion swept across every part of Raptorstar's brain. This she-cat, who would criticize him and snap at him every chance she got... couldn't fight? "Are you... hurt?" He asked uncertainly, blinking and trying to clear his confusion.

"No!" Duskwillow snarled, leaping to her feet. "I just... can't. I never have been able to. Why do you think I've stayed in this clan? It's not because I like it here," she growled, eyes flashing.

Raptorstar shook his head slowly. "I may not understand, but I'm not going to make you leave. We may not see eye to eye, but you are a valuable hunter for our clan. We probably wouldn't have survived this long without you," he admitted slowly, turning away. He didn't particularly want to have a heart to heart with the she-cat that clearly hated him.

"Whatever," was the only response he got. Whatever indeed. Perhaps there was no counting on Duskwillow to train others, or to fight, but she was useful, however aggravating he found her.
Kazin
Global Moderator

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Chapter 5 - Her

Postby Kazin » Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:36 am

"Hey, uh, Raptorstar? You know we don't have a lot of food left, right?" Fallencrow's voice echoed slightly through the abandoned Twoleg monster, where Raptorstar had claimed his den. It was a smaller monster, the seats once intended for Twolegs to sit on, but now the fluff was coming out, scratched up by the cat's claws. It was sheltered from the wind, and the windows made a good vantage point to see predators coming. Or other cats, which was exactly what Raptorstar was staring at now, barely hearing Fallencrow.

Raptorstar rose, padding silently past Fallencrow as the soldier looked on in confusion, trying to see what Raptorstar saw. On the edge of the Thunderpath stood a cat. No, not just one. Three cats. Raptorstar sense trouble, and he signaled for Fallencrow to follow him with a single flick of his tail. He didn't see anyone else nearby, so he hoped that these cats weren't actually looking for a fight.

"Hello," Raptorstar greeted as he and Fallencrow grew close enough. He stopped a considerable distance away, watching from the corner of his eye as Fallencrow turned back towards the camp, nodding at another Chaosclan cat that must have seen the commotion. Longbranch's scent drifted over Raptorstar as the three cats watched carefully from the edge of the Thunderpath.

The closest, and seemingly the eldest, was the one to speak. "Hello," the she-cat said, her ear twitching slightly as she listened to the sounds coming from the camp, assessing it. She wasn't stupid, that was for sure, seemingly aware that there were more cats than she could see. "My name is Petalsong. I have traveled from a long forgotten clan, one that was disbanded as the apocalypse struck." Apocalypse. It was an interesting term for the end of the world. "I met these other two on my travels; Ember and Marshall."
    "My name is Raptorstar," the scarred tom replied, appraising each of the cats. Petalsong seemed confident, and had already proved her intelligence. Marshall was definitely young - he had a carefree quality about him, despite suffering through the end of the world. Ember was hard to read, though if she was travelling with other cats she must not be tough enough to want to be alone. Not many cats were, anyhow.

"Raptorstar?" Petalsong replied with surprise. "You lead a clan in this apocalypse? Every clan that I knew of have since disbanded, each member having to fend for themselves with the shortage of prey. Especially the clans in this area."

"I have realized alone or in small groups is not the way to work in this... as you called it, apocalypse. Starclan granted me lives and the means to start a clan, and I have made a camp in these abandoned monsters. Slowly, the clan is growing... and if you wanted, I could offer all three of you a place. We just finished making a new den of the monster over there." Raptorstar jerked his head towards one of the medium sized monsters, which Chaosclan cats did indeed finish renovating just this morning. It was lined with moss and grass, reinforced with brambles and sticks on the side to keep out scavengers.

Each cat was already nodding before Raptorstar had even finished his sentence. The tom allowed himself a rare smile, officially welcoming the three newcomers to Chaosclan. Petalsong piqued the tom's interest, and he was glad she was swift to join. Dismissing Longbranch and Fallencrow to attend to their other duties, he offered to give a short tour of the camp, which the three gladly accepted. He mostly talked to Petalsong during the tour, letting Ember and Marshall have their own conversation a couple of tail lengths behind the other two.

"This den was made by Duskwillow, for Duskwillow only. She's a bit of a harsh thorn, but she will soften up to talk to others. Well, she will to everyone but me. She holds a grudge against me." Raptorstar said the last part a bit louder, letting his voice carry into Duskwillow's den, from where a low, lazy growl sounded. Petalsong let out a soft chuckle as Raptorstar smiled, beckoning for them to continue, showing each of the monsters that had been turned into dens.

"And finally, the medicine cat den. Amberdawn is a new recruit, but she's already transformed this into a half nursery, half medicine storage. Which is a genius idea, in my humble opinion." Petalsong nodded, her eyes lighting up as she took a glance around all the dens and cats milling about. It wasn't even that many, but she was happy.

"Welcome to the clan, Petalsong." Raptorstar said, his heart skipping a beat when the she-cat gave him a genuine smile.
Kazin
Global Moderator

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Chapter 6 Doubts

Postby Kazin » Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:37 am

"You don't seem to understand the situation, Raptorstar." Starry eyes stared at him, not blinking. Not that Raptorstar really expected them to; they were dead, after all. Despite the scolding he was getting, he could only resist the temptation to roll his eyes. This discussion was pointless.

"I understand that you're frustrated with me," the leader responded, keeping his gaze locked on his ancestor's. He wasn't going to look away and let her know she was above him. Never. "But I am doing the best with what I have been given."

"Ignoring a beehive that could harm your clan, ignoring your deputy, appointing a cat your hardly know another leadership position! On top of all that, you still have not found your second leader. We will take away your lives and leave you with no support if you do not do what we have asked of you in two moons. That is all we will give you."

Raptorstar dipped his head, barely repressing the retort that grew in his mouth before he was able to fade away, back to the real world.

It was all so stupid. His clan was growing, yet Starclan only saw that he was barely sustaining his clan, despite it being Leafbare. New cats joined every moon, yet Starclan only noticed that not the right cat joined, that he still hadn't found another leader. He was surviving in a world that told these cats they shouldn't be, and yet Starclan could offer no praise. Raptorstar was still fuming when Fallencrow padded up to Raptor's monster, scuffing a pebble on the ground to let the leader know he was there.

"Enter," Raptorstar growled, trying and failing to keep his temper down. Fallencrow was used to it, paying the tone no mind.

"We found a young cat on the border, Raptorstar," the soldier said, dutifully giving his report. "Longbranch and I were exploring and found her. I think she'd be a great addition."

Raptorstar twitched his ear, peering out of the window of his den. The she-cat waiting outside, ears alert as she gazed around the abandoned monster highway that Chaosclan called home. "How young is young?" He asked, a bit disgruntled at just how small the cat looked.

Fallencrow tilted his head, thinking. "Probably six moons."

Whatever. It wasn't like they needed to turn her away. She looked capable. "I'll take her on as my apprentice and let her stay if she isn't afraid of me," Raptorstar said, jumping off the seat of the monster and stalking outside, shaking off his pelt to get rid of the lingering anger he had towards Starclan.

Raptorstar kept a brisk pace as he made it to the young cat, though she didn't flinch as he approached, only appraising him with her eyes. She didn't betray any hint of fear. "What is your name?" Raptorstar grumbled, upset that he hadn't gotten a reaction out of her. He could have blew off a bit more steam if he had been able to get the satisfaction of scaring her. Curse this new world, hardening cats' personalities.

"I don't have one," she stated, looking into Raptorstar's good eye. "But I would like to join your clan, and receive one, if you would have me."

"Whatever," Raptorstar grunted, looking at Fallencrow beside him. "You will be known as Crowpaw. If you're expecting a proper introduction to the clan, you aren't getting one. Figure it out yourself. You'll be my apprentice, and I expect you to be ready to train as the sun is rising."

The frazzled leader turned back to his monster, leaving Fallencrow and Crowpaw to deal with each other. Maybe Starclan was right. He was falling apart as the only leader, unsure of what to do, only pushing off anger towards other cats.
Kazin
Global Moderator

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Chapter 7 - Competition

Postby Kazin » Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:38 am

Finally, a cat with common sense. Duskwillow found herself enjoying clan life for the first time since she had accepted a position in Raptorstar's barely managed clan. If her sense of self-preservation had not taken over, realizing she wasn't going to live in a harsh world on her own, Duskwillow would have left ages ago. It was still a thought in the back of her mind, at least until recently.

A new cat had joined the clan, found on a patrol. She was soft-spoken, dignified, and cared for others, but she wasn't passive. She wasn't aloof, as Raptorstar was. She wanted to get things done. She pressured the leader so much over the past moon, that he ended up holing himself away in his Twoleg monster, barely coming out except to go on his own patrols or hunt. He stayed very far away from the warrior he had accepted, the she-cat named Songbird, whom he had given the warrior name of Songbirdcall.

As Duskwillow realized Songbirdcall took no crap from the leader, she quickly became friends with this she-cat. They became a pair to be reckoned with, and shared a den, often staying up late to contemplate what they could do about Raptorstar's poor leadership. Divine intervention, it seemed, was on the she-cats' side. As both slipped off to sleep, a Starclan ancestor, disheveled looking, rolled her eyes as she explained their proposition to Raptorstar. He was on his last chance, his last moon to find a second leader, and it was clear he had no intention of finding one.

So they chose for him, and they chose Songbirdcall. The next day, she received her four lives, quickly taking the brunt of the leadership from Raptorstar. The tom, while clearly angry, glaring at Songbirdstar, said nothing as she rose to power. He could handle this. He could handle everything.

"You know, most of the clan doesn't really like you," Songbirdstar said matter of factly as she was trying to get Raptorstar to discuss strategy on patrols. She was suggesting they hunt, then patrol, taking care of the beehive sooner rather than later. She had heard the complaints of the clan, and she was going to get their concerns taken care of. It was who she was.

Raptorstar grunted in return, his back turned towards the she-cat. She could leave him alone, and never talk to him again, and he would be happier than ever.

"I just don't get why you won't work together with a clan that you wanted to make," she pressed, ignoring the fact that he was giving her the cold shoulder. For no reason. "Maybe you should just let me lead the clan by myself and I can actually get things done-"

Raptorstar cut her off with a sharp "no." The first word he had said to her all day. Songbirdstar resisted the temptation to roll her eyes. She sighed faintly, listening to the warriors mock battle outside, having a competition.

Competition...

The word sent a spark of an idea through Songbirdstar's mind. "I have a proposition for you," she said, getting the faintest flicker of attention from the other leader. "A competition."

Raptorstar allowed his curiosity to get the better of him, no matter how hard he tried to stop it. "What are you proposing?" A part of him hoped it would be fighting. He wanted nothing more than to beat his co-leader in a fight, even if he was unsure if he actually could win. He doubted Songbirdstar was as weak as he thought she looked.

"Two patrols. We each pick our members, and they will be even teams. We go hunting, and see which leader is better at delegating our patrols to find out who brings back the most prey. The patrol leader that comes back with the most prey gets to make the decision regarding the beehive, and the decision on which types of patrols to send out for the next two moons."

Raptorstar wrinkled his nose, opening his mouth to deny it... but he wanted so badly to prove to Songbirdstar that she was the inferior leader. Even if a part of him knew that she was right on most accounts, he was too stubborn to back down. "Fine," he grunted, getting up to follow Songbirdstar out and assemble their teams.

______________________________________________________________________________

"Alright, you all know the rules, so Songbirdstar and I will pick our teams. I'll get first pick," Raptorstar said, shooting a smug grin at Songbirdstar, who only raised an eyebrow, gesturing for him to go on. "Petalsong," Raptorstar called, knowing she was stealthy and a good hunter, as well as a good strategist. There was a reason he had quickly chosen her for one of his soldiers.

"I want Weevilsnap," Songbirdstar said, eyeing the tom she had arrived with. He was fast, and an excellent tracker.

Fallencrow for Raptorstar, thinking he could have rank on his side. Whether it mattered or not... time would tell. No surprise to Raptorstar, Duskwillow was Songbirdstar's next pick. It wasn't like he was even thinking of choosing the hostile she-cat anyway. Longbranch was his next pick, as Fallencrow and him often worked well together. Rookfang, a newcomer Raptorstar had not interacted with, for Songbirdstar. Emberlily went to Raptorstar, despite her recent injury; Marshminnow, the final cat for Songbirdstar's team, was too energetic for Raptorstar's liking. He was afraid the bouncy tom would scare away all the prey.

"Alright, may the better leader win," Songbirdstar said, letting her mouth curl into a smile as Raptorstar did the same.
Kazin
Global Moderator

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Chapter 8 - Buzzard

Postby Kazin » Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:38 am

"I got more prey." Raptorstar looked down at his larger pile smugly, giving Songbirdstar a cocky smirk. How about that for better leader? Starclan was clearly wrong - he could do this on his own! He hadn't realized how much clan life he had been missing out on when he finally took charge of an almost full patrol. He felt like he was living again. He felt like he had made the right decision in becoming a leader after all. The laughter and talks still echoed in his head, happiness spreading warmly through his body. He hadn't felt this good in... well, ever.

Songbirdstar couldn't look her other leader in the eye. She was mad that she had set up this competition, and she had still lost. How stupid. She felt sure she would be able to win... "Yeah, but my prey is bigger," she finally retorted, glancing between the sizes of the prey in each pile.

Letting out a harsh sounding laugh, though he was genuinely amused, Raptorstar nearly smiled. "You're only looking at the squirrel's tails," he said as he glanced between the piles. There really was no mistaking he had caught more prey on his patrol, regardless of which prey was bigger. "The competition was more amount of prey, no size of the prey."

"Yeah, whatever," Songbirdstar muttered, pouting like a kit who had lost a game of moss ball. Raptorstar laughed again, and Songbirdstar allowed herself a small smile. At least they were finally getting along. A little. "Maybe we should do it again sometime," she admitted. It was much more fun than she thought, the competition. It made her glad Starclan had led her here, to this clan. She felt like she had something she had been searching for her whole life... a family. As surly and grumpy as this strange family may be sometime, she was happy to have it.

"Yeah, I think I'd like that," Raptorstar admitted, surprising everyone, including himself. "And uh, I would like to formally apologize for being so... distant," he addressed the entire clan this time, where they had gathered around the fresh-kill pile during the 'judging.' "I'm going to try my best to be better but... no promises."

A few days passed, the clan finally enjoying the warmer Newleaf days and the prospect of finally having enough prey. It was strange to be involved in the clan's life now, after so many moons of keeping to himself. Raptorstar began to see the personalities of the cats he didn't care to look for before... Fallencrow was not all work, as he thought - the tom had a rather surprising sense of humor. Along with Longbranch, who Raptorstar assumed was stoic and unyielding, like trees that he was so named after, the pair of toms almost always caused some sort of mischief during their free time. They acted just like Crowpaw, who was so energetic and happy all the time it also made Raptorstar feel younger. He didn't want to admit it out loud to his clanmates, but he enjoyed being around them.

Until a new member joined.

Fallencrow had been the one to fetch Raptorstar, who had just settled in to take a midmorning nap. He had been socializing and training with Crowpaw all morning, and even though he was finally enjoying it, the mental and social stimulation was truly exhausting. He was used to being alone, and he still sought out his bits and pieces of solitude whenever he got the chance. "There's a newcomer, Raptorstar," Fallencrow called out, a new system of greeting Raptorstar didn't mind too much. He didn't want to be unapproachable to his soldiers, allowing them to fetch him with a call rather than having to wait outside his monster den.

On this day, however, Raptorstar almost groaned. He didn't want to deal with cats right now. And he didn't know just how annoying it was going to become. Taking one last moment for himself, sighing, he stretched and leaped gracefully out of his den.

He immediately wanted to leave, to go into the forest, to close his eyes and hope it was all a dream, do anything but be standing where he was when he recognized the cat standing in front of him. He never wanted to see this cat again. He had abandoned him in the worst time, and he was the one Raptor blamed for his lost eyesight. If he had never left him, Raptor wouldn't have had to fight for his right to eat, to survive. But he left him. They were brothers, and they should have stayed together.

"Hello, brother." Buzzard's mouth curls into a smile as he sees the recognition sink in on Raptor's face. This can't be happening, but of course it's happening. Raptor truly does have the worst luck in the world. "Someone told me that you had started a clan. I couldn't wait to see it with my own eyes. Though... are you even able to see it anymore?" Buzzard laughed cruelly as Raptor snarled at him, pinning his ears back. If the rest of the clan hadn't gathered, he would have fought his brother right there... but he didn't want them to see him inevitably lose.

"Why are you here?" Raptorstar ground out, tail lashing. "How did you find me?"

Buzzard laughed again, enjoying his brothers discomfort. "Well, you wouldn't believe who visited me in my dreams last night, telling me you were nearby with your own clan. She had hoped I would get here soon enough to be the second leader, to put you in your place, but it appears I am too late." Buzzard turned his gaze to Songbirdstar, who had come to sit besides Raptorstar, letting her co-leader fume while she waited to speak. She had given Raptor a nod as she came over, communicating that she had wanted to speak, to let Raptorstar cool off for a moment.

"Are you here to cause trouble, or are you actually going to be a useful part of our clan?" Songbirdstar's voice rang out loud enough for the rest of the clan to hear. She was going to take no risks, especially if this cat made someone as snarky as Raptorstar uncomfortable.

Gaze lazily shifting to the she-cat, Buzzard was quiet for a moment. "I've come here to help. I won't cause any trouble, and if I do, well... kick me out to the end of the world then. Let me go back to dying on my own. I just figured I'd have a better chance of survival with more cats... and Starclan thought so too, might I add."

Raptorstar jerked his head in a nod at Songbirdstar's questioning glance. He could stay, for now. Almost as if she was reading his mind, Songbirdstar meowed, "You can stay, but only if you do not cause trouble. You will be watched closely, and you are not to go anywhere alone for the next two moons."

Buzzard nodded, already uninterested in the conversation. He would later become Buzzardshade, a mysterious cat who no one had quite figured out... was he friend, or foe?
Kazin
Global Moderator

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Chapter 9 - Watching

Postby Kazin » Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:39 am

Blue eyes gazed at the scarred cat with amusement. Raptorstar was pacing back and forth in front of his monster den, a familiar scowl on his face. Buzzardshade chuckled to himself at the look on his brother's face, finding great joy that he was still so aggravated at his own brother's existence. They never got along as kids, though Buzzardshade did have to admit it was probably because he was never a good brother.

Buzzardshade smirked as he thought of it. Chaos was great, and he loved mischief. It wasn't like he was trying to hurt anyone else, not at all. He just wanted to see some mayhem; it was interesting, unlike the boring world he had lived in, watching cats do nothing but hunt and sleep. They needed something to live for, something to make them think. Which was exactly why he was drawn to the idea of a clan, especially one called Chaosclan. Really, it was Raptor's own fault that Buzzard had found himself here. He should have known this would happen.

A hiss brought Buzzardshade's attention back to Raptorstar. The breeze was in his favor, carrying Raptor's words to him, from where he was talking to his girlfriend. Buzzardshade's grin only widened as he thought about what fun he could have with his nieces and nephews when they were born, but that would be something to think about another time.

"...I don't understand why he came here! He's going to be nothing but trouble!" Raptorstar's tail was lashing, and thought he tried to keep his voice quiet, he wasn't succeeding. He was never good at being quiet, Buzzardshade recalled. Not like himself, so keen on stealth. There was a reason Raptorstar didn't know he had been watching his clan for moons, watching him from the shadows, just as he was now.

Petalsong watched her mate, saying nothing. It was clear that Raptorstar needed to get this off his chest first, before she gave him her advice. She knew this vent was probably partially due to the fact that she had just come back from Amberdawn, discovering she was carrying kits. Raptorstar wanted to keep the clan safe for his kits, and it was clear he was nervous about becoming a father, especially when there were cats he didn't like around.

"He never did anything for anyone but himself! He's never been anything but trouble!" Raptorstar took in a deep breath of air, stopping his pacing. "No..." He trailed off, his eyes gaining a far off look as his voice lowered to a whisper. "I can't let him get to me, that's exactly what he wants."

"That's the first thing you've said in a while," Petalsong remarked sarcastically, finally breaking her own silence. A slight smirk was playing at her face, and Buzzardshade's own smirk widened. This she-cat could pick on his brother as much as Buzzardshade could himself!

Raptorstar gave his mate an incredulous look, unsure of whether he should be angry or not. Petalsong laughed at his expression, which made him scowl again. "I only want to keep this clan safe for our kits," he whispered softly, embarrassment creeping up through his pelt at the thought of being a father. He wasn't sure he was cut out for it.

Petalsong brushed up against Raptorstar, a gentle purr rumbling through her. "You're doing an amazing job, Raptor. Leading a clan isn't easy, and you are going to be an amazing father for our kits. I know it." The silence stretched on for a bit, a slight breeze ruffling the fur of all the cats. "Let Buzzardshade do what he wants, and if he does anything wrong, remember you're in charge, right?"

Raptorstar nodded, taking a deep breath and forcing himself to relax. Everything would be fine. He would just ignore his brother, and let Songbirdstar deal with him most of the time.

From his watch point, Buzzardshade yawned. He knew he would still get under Raptor's skin. It would be just as fun now as it was when they were younger. Only now, he'd have Raptor's own spawn to help cause mischief. He couldn't wait to annoy his brother some more.
Kazin
Global Moderator

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me