Empire of the Gods Writing Archive

Are you a writer or a poet? Come and share your creations with us, or discuss writing techniques with others
Forum rules
Please only post your own original work, do not post poetry or stories which were written by someone else.

Empire of the Gods Writing Archive

Postby legolas the elf » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:37 am

Here is the character archive
Here is CaC

Have fun reading
legolas the elf

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

{1} - To Rise from the Ashes

Postby legolas the elf » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:17 am

Rogerfang ducked his head against the howling wind, trying to keep his eyes locked on Icenose's at the same time. "Get the trainees up that tree!" He yowled at her, hoping his voice carried over the whirling snowflakes and the wind.

She shook her head, her pale green eyes shimmering. "They wouldn't learn anything! Their training day would be a waste!" Rogerfang shot her an exasperated look. "You expect them to learn something in this weather!?"

Icenose sighed in defeat, or at least Rogerfang thought she did, and she turned and nudged her trainee, Flarepath, up a tree. After the small ginger tom (okay he wasn't that small anymore) was safely in a hollow in the trunk, Icenose picked up Nettlepath by the scruff and carried her to the hollow. Rogerfang cast one last look around, not that he could see anything but white and what was directly in front of him, and scrambled up the tree after Icenose.

The four cats sheltered in the hollow until the storm died down. Rogerfang poked his head out of the hollow cautiously, and when not so much as a snowflake landed on his muzzle, he shimmied down the tree awkwardly, calling out to his clanmates to do the same.

As relief flowed through the tom, he turned to face the other direction, into the slight wind, embracing the warmth the sunset brought after the freezing blizzard. He turned to make sure his clanmates had made it out of the tree safely, but at what he saw, Rogerfang let out a stream of curses that even StarClan had never heard before.

Somehow, the tree had fallen silently, crushing Icenose, Nettlepath, Flarepath, and another cat - an older white molly. Rogerfang, shocked and feeling like he was going to throw up, inched nearer to the stranger, but when he saw her face, he couldn't believe it. No not, Winter - she was dead already! Rogerfang was sure of it! But then why was she here! The black tom -

"Rogerfang!" Nettlepath's shout jerked Rogerfang from his slumber and he remembered her small body, crushed after the blizzard, and Winter! but a sharp wack from Nettlepath on his nose made Rogerfang regain his senses. The blizzard had happened a moon ago - and Nettlepath, Flarepath, and Icenose were alive. Winter was dead. She had been for many moons now.

"I'm sorry." He groaned, pushing himself to his paws. "Bad dream."

Opening his eyes again, he was met with a sympathetic glance from Nettlepath. "About the blizzard?" Rogerfang hesitated before nodding. It was more personal than that, but Nettlepath wouldn't understand his past. The trainee blew out a breath. "Flarepath has been having them too. He looks for anyway to escape them."

Reigning in his emotions, Rogerfang felt a spark of sympathy for Nettlepath's adopted brother. The horrors of the blizzard were bad enough as they were, whittling down StemClan to four cats, but Flarepath had lost his mother and brother - and Nettlepath, being adopted, had known them for less time and was therefore less devastated.

"I'll tell Icenose to bring him out training later, to keep his mind off of them. For now, missy, you and I need to patrol."

Shoving the dream in the back of his mind to never be accessed again, Rogerfang trotted out of the lookout's den (which was still intact, thank StarClan) and into the clearing, Nettlepath close on his tail.

"Eat up." He said, gesturing to the meager pile of prey they had found since the blizzard. Nettlepath grabbed a scrawny mouse and gobbled it up. As soon as she finished burying the bones, the two cats set out on patrol.

When Rogerfang and Nettlepath found the black tom, Rogerfang had to admit he was relieved - this tom could mean more cats for StemClan, and as so, the restart of StemClan. He was sitting on the border of the territory, green eyes glowing.

"Hello." the stranger mewed.

"Hello, stranger." Rogerfang rumbled, if a little bit suspiciously. "What brings you here?"
The black tom shrugged. "Wandering, I suppose. I smelled some faint scent markers under the scent of all this snow, and I thought that I could meet a cat here - maybe get to know them, be friends."

Though his tone was friendly and innocent, his eyes held a sparkle of some emotion Rogerfang didn't catch before it dissipated - amusement, maybe? Glee? Cunning?

Rogerfang frowned. "I guess you wouldn't be the first cat with that attitude...but..." He yanked Nettlepath to the side. "Excuse us for a moment."

Nettlepath frowned, looking at Rogerfang, then at the newcomer. "What did you take me aside for? Is he, like, your brother and you're scared about letting him into StemClan? I mean - you two look alike."

Rogerfang wrinkled his muzzle. "What!? No! His eyes are way different from mine, and he is more running-muscle while I'm...brute muscle? But smart."

Now it was Nettlepath's turn to wrinkle her muzzle, but this time in confusion. "Alright then. If he's not your brother, and your not scared about him joining the Clan, why do you need to talk to me?"

"Because - because - well it was something in his eyes. But we need cats so desperately. What do you think?"

Nettlepath tilted her head. "A...bad thing in his eyes? Like, evil? Or malice?" Rogerfang shrugged. "Just something that opposed his words." Nettlepath shrugged. "Everyone may have odd thoughts, and he may not be a wanderer - maybe he was looking for a clan and was too embarrassed to admit it."

Rogerfang frowned, thinking back to the moment. The flash in the tom's eyes could definitely have been embarrassment, and the more Rogerfang tried to reassure himself that was it, the more sure he actually became. "Let's bring him to Icenose and Flarepath and see what they think." He said eventually.

Trotting back towards the stranger, Rogerfang dipped his head. "Follow me, stranger. I am Rogerfang, a lookout of StemClan. This is one of our trainees, and my responsibility, Nettlepath." The molly waved her tail merrily. "And back at camp, there are two others. Nettlepath's adopted brother, Flarepath, and a warrior by the name of Icenose." The tom's eyes glimmered. "Since we seem so keen on introduction, my name is Noble."

---

Flarepath's quiet sobs seemed to shake the trainee's den, even though Nettlepath knew that no cat beyond the stone cave could hear it. She pressed into her brother, whispering reassurances she knew would not help. "It's fine, I'm here for you. Flarepath."

The long-haired ginger tom pulled away from his sister, shaking his head. "I can't - it's mother, and Skypath, and Snowstar - that was my fault too - and just, all of them, and the dreams won't stop." His sobs turned into pitiful mews, louder than his sobs. "Flarepath," Nettlepath started as she heard pawsteps come down the tunnel to the den.

Flarepath whipped around as Noble entered the den, having to duck so his tall frame didn't scrape the ceiling. "Do your cries have to wake the clan?" Noble sighed exasperatedly, turning towards Flarepath. The small tom shook his head, though it could just be a symptom of his currently shaking body. "Lookie here - " Nettlepath started, but Noble interrupted her.

"Well, kit, if you can't get them under control, I can maybe help get this...clan," He said clan like it was a piece of rotting crowfood, "some peace and quiet."

Nettlepath scowled at Noble. "Be kinder to him, you idiot! He's having nightmares!" Nettlepath knew then and there that she did not like Noble and some savage part inside of her yowled with glee when she resolved these feelings, but the voice inside of her was silenced with a threatening gaze from Noble. "Show some respect, trainee. I am you elder." He turned back to Flarepath, who was watching the exchange with wide yellow eyes. "You are having nightmares?"

Flarepath shot a look towards Nettlepath before fixing his eyes back on Noble's. "Y-yes sir." Noble sat down, raising his head so his ears brushed the roof of the cave. "Hmmm..." he mused. "What are these dreams about?"

Flarepath let out a shaky breath before spilling out StemClan's story. Of course Noble knew the blizzard had devastated the clan, but he also learned about the fact that Flarepath and Nettlepath held themselves responsible for Snowstar's death, and how they had family ties within the clan.

Once Flarepath had finished explaining, Noble scratched an ear with a hind paw. "Well kid, you need to face your fears." He said with no sympathy at all. "Imagine the blizzard taking the form of a cat - huge, white, swirling with snow, cruel." Flarepath closed his eyes and whimpered, trying very hard not to imagine it. "Then," Noble continued, "Imagine all of it's weaknesses. Like normal cats the ears, the base of the tail, and the stomach are very tender. Then there's also the small of the back, which could be considered a - " He was cut off by Flarepath, who was looking up, his eyes wide and growing excited as he realized what Noble was saying. "A weakness! Nettlepath, of course that's the reason we were failing battle training. We always thought so much about our own weaknesses we forgot that each other had one to!"

Noble continued on as if the little exchange hadn't happen. "Then there is also the weaknesses that a blizzard would have - the sun coming out again, warmth, sturdy shelter, what you cats call greenleaf." Flarepath nodded but then his face fell again. "But Noble, sir, my dreams are always freezing, and it's Leafbare! And it's not only the blizzard, but I end up hurting other cats!"

The black tom shrugged. "Imagine them all somewhere safe and be the sun yourself, Cadetflare. Kill the blizzard." Flarepath and Nettlepath both squinted at Noble. "Did you call him Cadetflare?" Nettlepath asked, confused. Noble tilted his head. "Did I? Whoops, dear me, always forgetting names." He shrugged, then turned and left, calling back without turning his head, "Be the sun, Flarepath!"

Flarepath glanced at Nettlepath excitedly. "Okay then! I'll try it!"

---

With the moon almost over, StemClan had grown used to Noble, and Icenose had even admitted quietly to herself that he was quite attractive, more than Rogerfang, even when they looked the same. But they never got a chance to see the real Noble. That is, until it was to late.

Noble and Icenose had returned from a fruitless hunting patrol, and while Icenose flopped down in the clearing with a huff, Noble launched himself onto leader's ledge. "Oh Noble!" Icenose called, sitting up. "I don't know if you know, but the ledge is only for leaders." Noble cast her one of his signature I'm-not-dumb-as-you glares. "I know perfectly well it's for leaders."

Icenose was standing now, her gaze locked on the attractive tom. "Noble, if this is your idea of a joke, it is not very funny. Get. Down."

Noble stood lazily. "Why should I? You leaderless fools need a leader, but your to weak to step up yourselves. Besides, your believing in the complete wrong thing! StarClan? Blech."

As Icenose opened her mouth to protest, Rogerfang, Flarepath, and Nettlepath ducked into camp. Rogerfang frowned at Noble. "Get off of there. That ledge is for the leader."

"No."

"What!?" Noble repeated what he had said to Icenose to Rogerfang. Rogerfang shook his head violently and stepped up to the bottom of leader's ledge. "A Clan doesn't deserve a leader that doesn't believe in StarClan! I will be leader in place of you, then!"

Noble's eyes burned with rage. "Why such interest now!? By the power of the Gods, your much to late! If you wished to be leader, you should have claimed rights much earlier! Besides, the Gods chose me to lead this pitiful clan, they led me here! If you were to be leader, you so called StarClan would have chosen you!"

As Rogerfang took a step back, surprised by Noble's onslaught, Nettlepath looked at her trainer with wide, worried eyes. "I told you you should have asked StarClan if you could be leader! I told you multiple times!"

Noble wrinkled his nose at Nettlepath's words. "Well, little molly, he didn't take his shot at your pleas. But I see none of you are willing to give me a chance. Flarepath, you would give me a chance, wouldn't you?"

The ginger tom shuffled his paws. "I mean, I guess." He mumbled. "You should get approval from StarClan first." Noble grinned, "Oh, but I did. Remember those Gods I told you about? They guided me to this position. They approved me to recreate StemClan, which couldn't keep itself together during a god forsaken blizzard!"

Flarepath, who had gone to Noble for comfort and advice on his dreams more often than he had gone to his sister after Noble had helped with the blizzard dream, has heard words about these mighty Gods, and from what he knew they were much more powerful then StarClan. If they decreed it, well they decreed it. And Flarepath was to scared to get on their bad side. And there was something...leaderlike, like Noble belonged up there. His voice stronger now, he dipped his head to Noble. "If the Gods truly appointed you as leader, I will accept you as one."

Noble's eyes lightened. "Excellent, my boy, excellent!" Icenose sighed, standing. "I suppose if the powers higher than StarClan decreed it, I won't get on their bad side."

"What!?" Rogerfang and Nettlepath both exclaimed at the same time. "You can't join him! If he doesn't believe in StarClan, and just takes over a clan unfairly, then he might as well be a tyrant!" Rogerfang turned his gaze towards Noble, who's eyes were blazing with anger again. "I don't accept you as my leader."

Noble's eyes widened in mock hurt. "Oh really? Then you can challenge me for this seat as leader...or die." Rogerfang unsheathed his claws. "I think I'll challenge you."

Noble shook his head at this. "Oh no, not physically challenge - you have an unfair advantage. I meant challenge me verbally. Whoever get the other to back down wins this throne." Rogerfang wrinkled his nose at the unfamiliar word, but stood as tall as possible, eyes locked on Noble's. "I'll start."

Noble dipped his head. "Try your hardest, and lose."

Rogerfang wasted no time in starting. "You pompous, arrogant, control freak! The Gods! Don't! Exist! You hold no power over us, and cannot claim leadership!"

Noble shrugged. "Boring. Silence, soldier."

Rogerfang opened his mouth to speak, but no sound came out. He frowned, tried again, and it didn't work. Noble's eyes, at first confused, turned delighted when he realized what happened. "Thank Dionysus!" He called out to the sky. "He made you go mute! And all I had to say was silence! I guess that means I win!"

Rogerfang's face contorted with fear and anger, and then he turned tail and ran into the lookout's den, Noble chuckling all the while. "Now Nettlepath, I wouldn't be so rash before you chose not to accept me."

Nettlepath looked over at Icenose and Flarepath. Awe and horror sparkled in both of their eyes, the former more noticeable in Flarepath's. Nettlepath's heart cracked to see her brother...possessed by this freak of a cat, but she didn't want to be running around mute like Rogerfang. "I accept." She said, defeated.

"Excellent! Now, cats of StemClan, this name will do no longer. The Gods, not your petty StarClan, will run this empire. Empire...yes." He mused. "From now on, this empire will be the Empire of the Gods! Any objections?"

Nettlepath had many, but she kept her mouth shut. "Excellent. Now let us see, let us see...your current ranks won't do you much good, oh no. Trainees is much to clan of a name. How about Cadets and Rookies! Yes, Cadets for the toms, Rookies for the mollies." Icenose frowned, speaking up for the first time, though it wasn't what Nettlepath expected her to say. "What if you are not a tom or molly?" Noble tilted his head. "Privates."

"And now, leader won't be good enough a name either. There shall be three rulers, one for each pantheon of Gods, as was there one wish. A Pharaoh, for the Egyptians; a Thane for the Norse; and an Emperor for the Greek and Roman, as they are basically the same. And there shall be a Supreme Ruler - the one that controls even them, and that shall be me!"

Nettlepath stood, unable to take it any longer. But before she could say anything, Noble shot her a venomous look and she sat down again, the voice in the back of her mind chuckling, creeping closer. Nettlepath shoved it away again.

"And then we shall have Generals, like your deputies, one for each leader. They shall take the others' places when they die. And, however much of a waste it is, we will need to have Healers...no Shamans, catchy word, to heal our wounds in battles. Warriors will change to soldiers, more intimidating, Queens and Kits will stay, and Elders - well, they're really no use, but the gods respect veterans. But because they can't work or provide anymore, like a withered plant, they will be the Withered."

Nettlepath's rage bubbled up again, especially at this last part, but she was to scared of Noble and his power to do anything. Fight, whispered her mind. You have the power in you. But Nettlepath pushed it away again, in time to hear Noble chuckle, "Welcome, my friends, to The Empire of the Gods."
legolas the elf

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me