Lore of the Clan (Rise) (dnp)

Are you a writer or a poet? Come and share your creations with us, or discuss writing techniques with others
Forum rules
Please only post your own original work, do not post poetry or stories which were written by someone else.

Re: Lore of the Clan (Rise) (dnp)

Postby AstroCat » Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:04 pm

Some Nights
(adderstripe/npc)
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

There were some nights where Adderstripe felt lonely, a type of loneliness that he wasn’t sure any other cat would understand. He often had restless nights, where he would close his eyes and sleep would refuse to overtake him. It became a normal occurrence near the end of his apprenticeship after he lost his best friend. Some wounds never truly heal; a lesson he had learned the hard way.

Adderstripe wasn’t quite sure what drew him to the city; he had intended to only go for a short walk under the stars, but his paws had carried him all the way to the barrens. He could see the lights of the city beyond the trees, and couldn’t help but wonder if anyone there felt the same loneliness he did. Adderstripe had been to the city before, on one of the Clan’s many trips to search for potential warriors after the plague that left only a few cats alive. But he had never been there alone, and he knew how dangerous it was to roam the city streets without some cat to have your back.

He had made up his mind to turn around and return home when a commotion in a nearby tree startled him. Adderstripe looked up to see the large eyes of an owl staring back at him, its wings outstretched as it prepared to take off. Adderstripe instantly unsheathed his claws as the owl swooped down. He braced himself to feel its sharp talons rip through his skin, but it never happened. His fur rustled as the owl glided just above him, then rose to the sky and flew off in the direction of the city.

Adderstripe’s heart thudded in his chest as he watched the bird disappear from sight. A thought crossed his mind- was this a sign from the Spirits? Had they sent the owl to guide him to the city? He glanced up at the stars, wondering if they were looking down at him. Adderstripe took a deep breath, then began to make his way to the city. He knew there was no way he would go to sleep that night, he might as well do something interesting.

He took the same route that the Clan did when they visited the city, planning to stick to the somewhat familiar alleyways and relatively quiet streets. Adderstripe wrinkled his nose as the overwhelming scents and noises of the city washed over him. He couldn’t imagine how the city cats could stand living there, but he supposed the city cats couldn’t imagine how he lived in the woods.

He had been walking only a few minutes before he picked up the scent of another cat nearby. A lone she-cat perched on a fence, gazing up at the night sky. She seemed totally oblivious to the world around her, not stirring as Adderstripe approached. He wondered if she believed in the Spirits, or something like them.

“It’s beautiful, isn’t it?” Adderstripe jumped as she spoke, not expecting her to realize he was there. The she-cat glanced down at him, her bright eyes sparkling.

“We just moved here,” the she-cat continued as though she and Adderstripe were old friends catching up after not seeing each other for a long time. “We used to live in the center of the city, and I could almost never see the stars! It’s so much better out here!”

“You mean it gets worse?” Adderstripe had only ever ventured to the outskirts of the city; he couldn’t imagine what it would be like to be so far into the city he couldn’t see the stars.

The she-cat twitched her whiskers in amusement. “It’s different. Though I bet a wild cat like you would consider it hell on earth.”

Adderstripe snorted. “I just don’t understand how you can stand it here. Wait, how did you know I’m a wild cat?”

“You smell like the forest. I don’t know how you stand to live in the wild. Having to hunt for your own food, not having a warm home in the winter, not to mention you don’t get tuna at night!” She let out a small laugh. “Now that’s not a life I’m willing to live!”

“I guess that’s fair,” Adderstripe murmured, though he still wasn’t convinced that a cat could ever truly be happy if it wasn’t wild and free.

“Why are you here then, if you hate it so much?” The she-cat asked.

“I-” Adderstripe frowned, realizing he couldn’t answer her question. “I don’t really know. I couldn’t sleep, and my paws carried me here for some reason.”

“That happens to me sometimes,” she meowed sympathetically. “Perhaps I could show you around my neighborhood? Maybe then you’ll see that isn’t so bad here, and you’ll be tired enough to go to sleep when you go home.”

“Well, I…” Adderstripe hesitated, but as he met the she-cat’s gaze he found it hard to refuse her offer. “Okay. Lead the way.”

“Follow me, wildcat,” she beckoned him to join her on the fence.

“I only have until dawn,” Adderstripe warned, leaping up onto the fence beside her.

She offered him a mischievous smile. “All we need is tonight.”

The sun was just peeking over the horizon as Adderstripe made his way back home. It wasn’t until he crossed the border did he realize he didn’t even know the she-cat’s name. She had never asked his name, and he had never asked for hers. Perhaps it was better that way. He would probably never see the she-cat again, at least that’s what he told himself. How wrong he was.
AstroCat

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby AstroCat » Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:42 pm

The Kids From Yesterday
(adderstripe/npc, monostar, hazelflame)

"Adderstripe! Adderstripe, wake up!"

Adderstripe blinked open his eyes groggily, looking up to see Monostar standing above him. The large tom's eyes were wide with concern, causing Adderstripe to immediately panic. He sprang to his paws, knocking Monostar off balance as he did so. Monostar fell to his haunches with an oof.

"What is it? What's happening?" Adderstripe asked, his voice rising in panic.

"I'd tell you to calm down, but I know that would be useless," Monostar grumbled as he stood back up, his whiskers twitching in annoyance. He flicked his tail to signal Adderstripe to follow as he exited the warrior's den and padded to the camp entrance. Hazelflame paced back and forth in front of the entrance, her tail lashing behind her. As soon as she spotted the toms, she stomped over to face Adderstripe, her eyes blazing with anger.

"I can't believe you!" She spat, "I thought you were a better cat than that!"

Adderstripe took a step back, shocked at the she-cat's outburst. Monostar stepped between then, shooting Hazelflame a glare before turning back to Adderstripe.

"This morning Hazelflame was gathering herbs at the border near the barrens when she ran into a housecat," Monostar explained. "She was looking for a brown tabby cat that lived in the woods. Hazelflame described you, and the housecat said you were the one she was looking for."

Adderstripe froze, feeling his heart drop. It had to be the housecat that he had spent the night with a few moons ago. And now everyone knew what he had done.

"W-why was she looking for me?" Adderstripe managed to stutter out the words, not able to look Monostar in the eye.

Monostar hesitated, not knowing how to break the news to him. Hazelflame, however, had little regard for Adderstripe's feelings.

"She had your kits, and you left her to raise them alone," she snapped, returning Monostar's glare. "Stop treating him like a kit, Monostar. He has his own kits now, it's time for him to take some responsibility."

"My...kits..." Adderstripe felt as if his world had turned upside down. His legs felt weak as he struggled to stay standing, pressing up against Monostar for support. Monostar let out a soft purr, trying to comfort Adderstripe as the trio stood in silence while Adderstripe tried to collect himself.

"Her owners are moving, and they're going to give the kits away. She wanted to know if you would take them." Monostar murmured in his ear.

"He can hardly take care of himself, I don't know how he's going to care for kits!" Hazelflame muttered.

Her words stung, but he knew it was true. He was a shell of the cat he used to be. He had lost his family, his Clan, and the cat he loved, and it had changed him for the worse. He could barely sleep most nights, and when he did his dreams were haunted by the ghosts of everyone he had lost. Some days it took all the strength he could muster just to drag himself out of his nest. Adderstripe knew he couldn't go on like that any longer, he had to be strong now. He couldn't let his kits grow up alone and end up like him.

Adderstripe took a deep breath and steadied himself. "They're my kits and they belong with me. I didn't know about them, Hazelflame, or else I would have never left her alone."

Hazelflame blinked in surprise at Adderstripe's sudden confidence. She let out a sigh as she shook her head. "Oh, Adderstripe," she said, pressing her cheek against his. "I'm sorry, dear, I'm just as shocked as you are, I suppose. I can't believe what you've gotten yourself into."

"What I've gotten us into you mean," Adderstripe smiled sheepishly as he attempted to lighten the mood. "I don't think I can do this without you both."

"You know that you're my brother, even if we're not related by blood." Monostar gave Adderstripe a friendly shove, his eyes twinkling with affection. "That means these kits are my kin, too."

"Oh goodness, we're going to have kits running around here before the sun sets!" Hazelflame exclaimed gleefully. "How wonderful this is going to be!"

AstroCat

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby AstroCat » Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:41 am

The First Apprentices
(rushpaw, rainpaw, houndchaser, demian, monostar)

Rushkit pressed up against Houndchaser as they stood at the entrance to the nursery. Monostar had just called for the Clan to gather so she and her sister could have their apprentice ceremony. Rushkit had been bursting with energy the night before, unable to contain her excitement about finally being able to leave the confinement of the nursery. But now as she stood with her father, she felt a pang of nervousness. What if she didn't like her mentor? What if she would be the worst hunter in the Clan? What if she disappointed her family? What if, what if, what if...

Houndchaser seemed to sense her sudden hesitation as she gave her a gentle nudge, his kind eyes shining with pride at his daughter. "Come on, darlin', today's your big day. You'll be just fine, I promise."

Rushkit nodded, summoning all the courage she could muster as the two padded out into the center of camp. Rainkit sat at Hazelflame's side, looking as calm and composed as ever. Rushkit envied her. She seemed to have her whole life already figured out the second she'd met Hazelflame and decided to train as the Bishop's apprentice.

Rainkit noticed them and nodded a quick goodbye to Hazelflame as she joined them, a smile spreading across her muzzle. "I can't believe it's finally happening!" She purred, twining her tail affectionately with Rushkit's. "Who do you want your mentor to be?"

"Uh, I dunno," Rushkit muttered, her eyes darting around camp at the warriors gathered around her.

"I'm sure Monostar has put a lot of thought into choosing your mentor. He wants you to become the best warrior you can be." Houndchaser said.

"Rainkit, Rushkit, please step forward!" Monostar's booming voice summoned the Clan to attention as they turned to look at the two kits. Rushkit's heart immediately starting racing as she stepped forward, feeling the burning gazes of the cats on her. She forced herself to remain calm, focusing on holding her head high as she met Monostar's gaze. The Kaiser was looking down at them with the same pride in his eyes that her father had. They would be the first apprentices in the Clan, she realized, and that Monostar would surely remember this moment because of that.

I want to make Monostar proud too. He's worked so hard. The large tom leaped down from his spot on top of his den and padded forward to stand before the two kits. "Rainkit, you have chosen the path of a Bishop. From this moment on, until Hazelflame decides you have earned your full name, you shall be known as Rainpaw."

"Rainpaw! Rainpaw!"

The Clan cheered her sister's name and Rainpaw and Hazelflame touched noses before returning to their seats next to the Bishop's den. Rushkit took a deep breath as the cheers finally died down.

"Rushkit, from this moment forward, until you have received your warrior name, you will be known as Rushpaw. Demian, you are a thoughtful and intelligent warrior, and I hope you pass down all you know to Rushpaw."

Rushpaw looked over Demian, who seemed just as surprised as she was. But he only showed it for a moment, shaking his head and returning to his usual neutral expression as he pushed through the crowd to touch noses with Rushpaw. Rushpaw couldn't help but feel disappointed. Demian was strange and quiet, and seemed like an outsider in the Clan. He hadn't even taken a warrior name, much to the surprise of the rest of the Clan.

"Rushpaw! Rushpaw!"

Monostar dismissed the Clan with a flick of his tail, slowly the crowd dispersed leaving Rushpaw with Demian. The tom's gaze was vacant as he nodded to the camp entrance.

"Come," he said, leading the way out into the forest. Rushpaw walked by his side, feeling a twinge of excitement. She was finally out of camp! Gone were the days were she was stuck in the nursery all day, bored out of her mind. Even if Demian wasn't exactly a good mentor, she was determined to enjoy her apprenticeship as much as possible. Part of her wished that Rainpaw was with her, training by her side so they could become warriors together. But her sister had chosen a different path, and she was alone.
AstroCat

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby AstroCat » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:33 am

(765 words)

Monostar pushed through the undergrowth, cursing under his breath as his long fur caught on some brambles. He heard a snort of laughter as Tigerstorm appeared at his side, gently untangling the brambles from his pelt. Monostar gave himself a quick shake, clearing his throat in embarrassment.

"Thanks," he mumbled, feeling his heart flutter under Tigerstorm's gaze. The she-cat grinned, seeming to take delight in her ability to make him nervous.

"Better watch where you're going, fluffbutt," she teased, pressing her side against his for a heartbeat before trotting on to catch up with the rest of the patrol.

"So, you and Tigerstorm, huh?"

Monostar jumped as Adderstripe's teasing voice sounded behind him. The other tom padded to his side, glancing at Tigerstorm's disappearing figure in the trees ahead. Monostar frowned, not knowing how to respond. Of course he was very fond of the she-cat, they'd formed a strong bond after he appointed her as his deputy. And sure, maybe he would feel butterflies in his stomach if she looked at him for too long, or he would fumble his words when he spoke to her.

"Are you really that oblivious?" Adderstripe twitched his whiskers in disbelief. "You're really something, bro."

"I don't know what you're talking about!" Monostar shot back, feeling his cheeks grow hot with embarrassment. Of course Adderstripe would catch on to his feelings. Adderstripe knew him better than any cat.

"You'd better let her know how you feel, Monostar," Adderstripe spoke, suddenly growing serious. His gaze grew distant. Monostar knew that Adderstripe must be thinking back to his younger days, when he lost the cat that he loved before he was able to confess his feelings. Something that Adderstripe had never recovered from.

"It's okay," Monostar bumped his shoulder against the other tom's in an attempt to comfort him. "I just need to figure some things out. I promise I'll talk to her."

"So, why'd you want to come out here?"

Tigerstorm leaped up on the fence to join Monostar. He had asked her to meet him at the edge of the city, hoping the distance from camp would give them some privacy. Mostly since he figured he would make a fool of himself multiples times before the night was over. He had never been particularly great at expressing his feelings out loud, so he knew that confessing his love for Tigerstorm would be a challenge for him.

She was still looking at him, her gaze burning into his pelt when he realized that he hadn't answered her question. Mousebrain! "Um, just to talk."

"Okay..." She looked doubtful, glancing out the cityscape in front of them. The sun was beginning to set, and the lights of the city were coming to life. It was a picturesque view that reminded Monostar of the days he spent in the city during his youth. He had only lived there a few moons and had no desire to ever return. But his companion had spent most of her life there, and there were times when he wondered if she would ever wish to return.

"Do you want to go back?" Monostar surprised himself with the bluntness of his own question. "Uh, I mean, would you ever go back to living in the city? Do you miss it there?"

Tigerstorm let out a small laugh, shaking her head. "I wish I could tell you no, that the thought has never crossed my mind. But there are some nights where I dream of walking the city streets, of seeing the lights and the people, and it tugs at my heart. Despite all its flaws, the city is full of wonder and excitement and love. But it's also full of evil and cruelty. I know that leaving was the right choice, but I still miss it sometimes."

"Oh." Was all Monostar could think to reply, not expecting Tigerstorm to say so much. She was usually a cat of few words, and hearing her speak so passionately about something was a bit of a shock.

Tigerstorm poked his side with her tail tip, her eyes meeting his own. "I'm not going anywhere if that's what you're worried about." She paused for a moment, as if gathering her courage. She looked up at him, her eyes meeting his own.

"I won't leave you."

"Promise?" Monostar cringed as soon as the word left his mouth.

"Yes, fluffbutt, I promise," She rolled her eyes. Monostar braced himself for her to tease him further, but instead, she shuffled closer to him, twining their tails together.

At least I didn't embarrass myself THAT much.
AstroCat

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me