-Maniacal laugher- Finished~

Are you a writer or a poet? Come and share your creations with us, or discuss writing techniques with others
Forum rules
Please only post your own original work, do not post poetry or stories which were written by someone else.

???????????????????????????????

Are you insane?
20%
Are you okay?
26%
I like these
47%
I don't like these
7%

Total votes : 85

Postby TheSongOfTheStars » Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:07 pm

/ creeping suspicion

1,475 words

Willow sat in the window seat, book dangling from idle hands. She used to be able to lose herself in books, any kind of book, even if it was an imperfect story or dull or her third reread. She used to be able to lie on her stomach, the evening sun slanting over her back, and just read, surrounded by the leathery smell of the seat.

Now the words didn't summon any excitement, didn't ignite her mind the way they used too. The sun was too hot and if she lied on her stomach it was hard to breathe. The only thing she could smell was mold.

Why couldn't she feel the way she'd felt last year? Or was it the year before that?

What was wrong with her?

She could hear the wind playing in the leaves outside the window. That was nice at least.

But as soon as she turned her attention away from struggling to focus on a story that didn't interest her, Willow realized there was another sound woven within the rustling.

A cat. A crying cat.

It sounded close. How had she not heard it sooner?

Setting the book down Willow slid off the window seat and into her shoes.

Uncle Crane was gone, but she still felt compelled to step quietly across the creaking wood floor and to ease the old door open so the hinges didn't cry out. She stepped out on the porch and the crying cat got louder.

Where was the poor thing?

She walked along the side of the house, combing through clumps of grass stray pieces of scrap metal to find the cat.

It didn't sound any nearer than it had out on the porch or any further away. Weird.

Willow stared at the path leading down through the trees. If she went far enough, it would run parallel with the highway.
An idea came oozing into her mind and she swallowed with a wince before turning her feet towards the edge of the lawn.

The slice of bare earth cuts through the trees, disappearing into the blue gloom that hung beneath the branches of the conifers and birch.

The cat's crying didn't grow any closer or further away, but sound always carried strangely around the old house. Something about the way it was built at the bottom of a valley and the land rose up all around it, something to do with the way the trees grew, thick in some places, thin in others.

She emerged from the trees and the wind comes for her with claws.
But Willow ignored the way the cold air made her hair stand on end and focused on the crumpled patch of black fur.

It was the cat, shivering and crying by the side of the road.

"Oh baby," Willow knelt next to the cat, reaching out one hand "Oh poor thing."

The cat shield away, but when it tried to stand it cried out again and Willow could see that its back leg was broken, the bone not piercing the skin but jutting the wrong direction.

"Okay, okay, you're not going to like this," Willow reached out both hands "But I'm going to have to pick you up."

The cat cowered, but didn't react otherwise as Willow carefully lifted them off the ground.
It cried out in pain and scrabbled its claws against her shirt as Willow tried to settle them against her side. Willow froze and the injured leg wasn't jarred any further and after a moment the cat relaxed fractionally.

Measuring each step and each breath carefully, Willow retreated back to the path and walked, most of her attention directed towards keeping the cat's leg still.

It was only when her arms began to grow tired did she look up and realize that she was no longer on the path she'd started on.

It was far darker than it should have been, the trees had vanished beneath wild bracken and rising tangled thorn bushes. There was no sign of the house, which should have been just around the corner.

Had she taken a wrong turn, wandered off entirely? No there were no turn offs and the dirt path was still beneath her feet.

What had happened?

Deep breaths, deep breaths. It was just getting darker as the sun began to set, it just felt longer because she was carrying a cannonball disguised as a cat.

There was always undergrowth in the forest.

She just needed to keep going forwards, one step, one breath at a time.

She ignored the shadows, the crackle and rustle in the forest around her, the beating of feathery wings through the branches over her head.

Normal. Normal. Normal.

Just keep breathing.

It was hard to ignore the sound of crashing behind her as something charged out of the forest.

The cat jammed its face against Willow's shoulder, quivering like a lost little leaf in a winter storm.

Willow looked back to see a massive shadow come shoving its way out of the undergrowth, a pair of eyes set deep in the tangled fur, glinting like a pair of lost stars.

Don't run. Don't run.

It was all Willow could think. Don't run, don't move.

For a small eternity the beast stood there, staring at her, breathing heavily.

Finally Willow heard beating wings from overhead again and, as if that had been a signal, the beast began to move forward.

Willow didn't have time to take in another breath, much less decide whether she should run or continue to stand her ground, before something came darting out near her ankles.

It was a tiny gray tabby cat, her back arched like the ridge of a hill, her teeth flashing and her claws raking furrows in the dirt.

The beast paused, but apparently more out of surprise than actual fear, as it growled and stalked closer.

One little cat, despite her ferocity, wasn't enough.

But she wouldn't have to be. She'd just been a warning.

Like a mist rising off the water, a swarm of cats came creeping out of the woods. A flood of warm bodies, twitching whiskers, and bares teeth to face the beast.

There was a dismayed croak and the fading whisper of wings brushing through the dried leaves.

That was all the cats needed to sweep forwards and crash like a wave over the beast.

A high pitched yelp came from the center of the mob and the cats receded, leaving behind not the picked clean bones of a monster, but a tired looking old beagle.

It looked up at Willow with sad eyes, before plodding past her, through the tide of cats and off the side of the path.

"Uhh..." Willow looked to the cats, but was only met with hundreds of flashing eyes that offered no answers "Thank you. Very much."

Then she scurried after the dog, picking her way through the cats, avoiding paws and tails as she stumbled deeper into the forest.

Within seconds the oppressive darkness lifted, fading back to the soft blue light, the trees became distinct entities again, her feet where on the path again, but she could see the end of it now.

The beagle stood at the head of the path, paws planted on the lawn as they waited for her to exit the forest.

"Are you okay?" Willow asked as she stepped out from beneath the shadows.

The dog just huffed and and galumphed down the driveway, ears flapping in the wind.

Had...had any of that been real?

Well some of it had to be, because she was still clutching a whimpering cat in her arms.

The garage door was open and Crane's car was parked amidst the chaos of accumulated junk, so Willow didn't even bother to look for him when she entered the house, just started yelling.

"Uncle Crane! Uncle Crane! I found a cat and it's really hurt. Please can we go to the vet, I have money I can pay for it!"

Crane popped his head out of his study, eyebrows raised in bewilderment as his niece rushed towards him, carrying a crying mound of fur with yellow eyes.

"Please? I have some money, I'll pay."

He blinked at her a couple of times while resettling his glasses "It's hurt?"

"I'm pretty sure their leg is broken. It's kinda bent the wrong way and starting to swell and they cry whenever I bump it. I think... I think someone dumped them out of a car."

"Oh dear," Crane reached out to let the cat sniff at his fingers. The cat wrinkled its nose, then poked out its tongue to lick at Crane's thumb.
"Let me get my coat. You go get in the car."

"My money-"

"Don't worry about it."

Willow felt relief settle down on her like a ray of summer sun.

If crediting me for art/character design then please use TheSongOfTheStars on Toyhou.se
or FiveSecondsToFly on deviantart for anywhere else
TheSongOfTheStars

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby TheSongOfTheStars » Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:35 am

/ purity

952 words

There were monsters in his house.
Townly Whisk didn’t know if there had always been monsters or if they had only started coming around when he was too young to remember, but they were there.

Not always, they didn’t hover or stay long, they actually never seemed aware of the fact they were in the young weasel’s house as they drifted through the walls, across the room, and disappeared through the other wall.
He had supposed that they could just be part of his imagination, but Towly liked to think that if they were he would have been a little more creative with them, giving them actual faces instead of blank black slates and maybe even names.

But they continued to be nothing more than shadows no matter how much effort he put in and he’d gotten used to them floating through the dining room during breakfast or slithering across his bedroom floor in the middle of the night. They never bothered him and they never stayed for very long.

Or at least, they didn’t use to, but the day his parents told him he was going to be a big brother a vapor came leaking through beneath the door and crept across the floor, oozing around furniture. It came to hover in front of Townly for a moment, like a cloud of black dust, then very purposefully, as if it could see or sense him, inched around him. He turned to follow it and watched as it came to sit before his mother who was obviously tuning her violin and humming gently to herself.

Townly found that he was holding his breath as the vapor rose slowly and hung itself over his mother and it did not move.
“Is something wrong baby?”
Townly realized that he was staring wide eyed at the space above his mother’s head, the space, that to her, was completely empty.
He shook his head and darted into his room.
It would leave right? They all left.
He clambered up onto his bed and pulled the covers over his head. It would leave.

They all left.

----

It didn’t leave.

Townly tried not to stare during dinner and as his mother tucked him into bed, but it clung to her and it made his stomach twist up in knots.

“Townly,” his mother said as she pulled the blanket up under his chin “Are you worried about being a big brother?”

“No,” he replied, trying to focus on her face. It was difficult as the vapor drifted down over her eyes, like she was wearing a veil “Just thinking.”
“Okay baby,” she kissed his forehead and for a second he was surrounded by the cloud, but he felt nothing but the warmth from his mother.

“Good night.”

“Good night,” but the young weasel didn’t sleep.
He stared into the dark, watching as the normal monsters wafted in and out of his line of sight, they did nothing out of ordinary.

As the moon rose to fill up his window an idea struck him and the weasel boy slid out of his bed.
Brushing through a few insubstantial monsters Townly made his way into his parents' room, creeping around the bed to his mother's side.
There he waited, ears perked, staring down the darker than night shadow that still had not budged.

The minutes slipped away until the distant tolling of bells heralded the peak of midnight.
The cloud did not disperse as Townly had hoped.
Frustration building until he could feel heat prickling at the nape of his neck Townly slipped forward, his paws barely a sound on the boards beneath him.

He leaned his stomach against the edge of the bed and raised his arms up, trying to shoo the cloud away. His hands disappeared within the shadow but it didn't react no matter how much he flailed.

Finally as his mother began to stir, disturbed by his attempts, Townly sank to the floor with a weak huff.

It was useless. The cloud was there to stay.

----

Townly got used to it eventually. He began to forget the shape of his mother's face, the color of her eyes and the brightness of her smile. As time went on and the day of the baby's arrival drew nearer the cloud grew thicker and heavier until it encompassed her entire body.

His father seemed to see no difference and if his mother felt as though something was off then she silently attributed it to the oncoming arrival of her new child.

Finally the day came with an explosion of activity in the normally quiet house and at the end of it all Townly found himself in the doorway of his parents' room, his father urging him inside.

But it wasn't his little brother Townly stared at as he crossed the room, though the baby certainly looked strange with washed out pale fur instead of the deep brown the rest of his family shared.
No, Townly could take his eyes off his mother as he saw her for the first time in months and he felt tears begin to gather as she smiled at him.

She looked tired but she still smiled and Townly just wanted to wrap his arms around her and stare.

But he wasn't here for that.

"His name is Wesley," she said and Townly forced himself to acknowledge his little brother. He was pretty cute, despite his bizarre paleness, if anything Townly would have thought he would have been darker, as if somehow Wesley could have absorbed a bit of the vapor that had clung to their mother.

"I like him," Townly said.

Wesley blinked at him with reassuringly normal looking eyes.

Then he coughed.

If crediting me for art/character design then please use TheSongOfTheStars on Toyhou.se
TheSongOfTheStars

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: -Maniacal laugher-

Postby Ranger of the North » Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:13 pm

Willow be trippin' my boyyyys
The world is quiet here.
Ranger of the North

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby TheSongOfTheStars » Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:35 am

Ranger of the North wrote:

thaT is not how I intended that scene to be interpreted but
that is a hilarious thing to wake up and read
YES the best boyss

TheSongOfTheStars

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby TheSongOfTheStars » Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:36 am

/ roots like the trees
345 words
"Lily?" Martin called up the tree "Lily do you see the path from up there?"

He strained to hear her reply but she was so far up her words were nothing more than a collection of indistinct sounds.

"What!?"

She shouted back again, still too far away for him to make any sense of what she was saying.

"I can't hear you!"

There was a crash of breaking branches as Lily made an abrupt descent and a thump as she hit the ground.

"What-" Martin started and immediately was cut off as Lily grabbed his wrist and started running.

"Bees."

"What!?"

"Bees!!" Lily yelled louder as she hauled him back the way they'd come at top speed and a droning noise started behind.

"What did you do to make them so mad?"

"Uhh."

"Lily!"

"I was hungry!"

They crashed out of the woods back into the meadow and together bolted into the shallows of the lake the angry swarm on their tails. Lily let go of his paw to plunge beneath the surface but he was right beside her as the water closed over their heads.

Together they swam towards a stand of trees on the opposite shore and came up, breathless, safe from the bees, and coated in long clumps of green algae.

"I think I got stung on my tail," Lily grimace past her veil of pond scum.

"Are you alright?" Martin asked as he found his feet and turned to look at her "Oh wait a minute, why am I concerned about you, this was your fault!"

That sent her into a fit of laughter that shook her so hard she slipped back beneath the water with a splutter.

He stood over her, glowering past the strings of algae that hung off the brim of his hat "I cannot BEEleive you."

She was laughing so hard she kept slipping back into the water and was choking on the water as she inhaled it between her laughs.

Despite himself Martin started to crack up and held his paw out to pull her up.

TheSongOfTheStars

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby TheSongOfTheStars » Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:51 pm

/ technicolor

88 words

Alabaster, aubergine, amaranthine
All around, all around
Celadon, cerulean, citrine
Colors to burn the inside of your mouth
Sable, saffron, sarcoline
Seep and soak, spill spill spill
Creep and climb, vivid vermilion to sear into my skin
Haematic, heliotrope, honeydew,
Hypnotic beneath my eyelids
Spit and sputter, gag on the color
Take your tongue between your teeth and drown in the palette
Breathe out the shades and heave on the hex codes
Seep and soak, spill spill spill, sear into my skin
Burning colors, all around, all around

TheSongOfTheStars

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ranger of the North » Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:11 pm

TheSongOfTheStars wrote:
Ranger of the North wrote:

thaT is not how I intended that scene to be interpreted but
that is a hilarious thing to wake up and read
YES the best boyss
😂
The world is quiet here.
Ranger of the North

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby TheSongOfTheStars » Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:11 pm

        yennefer wrote:
      you really do be teaching me about colors i didn't know existed.
      i think technicolor is my favorite thus far

Honestly I just put the word color into the pinterest search and a list popped up with a bunch of weird color names so I decided to just build off it with some colors I found off wikipedia but it was fun

TheSongOfTheStars

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby TheSongOfTheStars » Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:11 pm

/ taken

139 words

Indigo Rose was standing on the porch, Baxter at her feet, waiting for him.

"How was the mall?" Crane says by way of greeting, flicking his keys out from his pocket with a jingle.

"Willow's gone."

Crane raised an eyebrow "Gone where?"

Indigo Rose shrugged. Baxter let out a staticky grumble.

"Did she not come back to the house with you?"

"She went to the bathroom and didn't come out."

"You probably missed her," Crane unlocked the door and stepped inside "I'll call her, she's probably still looking for you."

He was hit by a heave of frost tinted air that swirled thickly around his head.

From his back Indigo Rose murmured "I think something's wrong, Mr. Yonderly."

He could see his breath, white as winter in the stark light as Indigo Rose continued "I think Willow's been taken."
Last edited by TheSongOfTheStars on Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheSongOfTheStars

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby TheSongOfTheStars » Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:54 am

/drop

163 words

He tried to ignore the messages popping up on the inside of his visor. They were distracting and yes, thank you, he already was well aware that his elbow had been snapped the wrong way.

Serpens wasn't sure when his knees hit the floor, only that when he did so it jarred his fractured arm and made the already weak breaths he was trying to pull in shallower.

He half closed his eyes, the stinging tears sliding down his dust covered face as he tried looked up at the canyon's edge, the brink from which he'd fallen.

"Serpens?" Cassiopeia's static laden voice crackled into his ear piece "Serpen's where'd you go, you disappeared from the sensors."

He pulled in a shuddering gasp, trying to push himself past the burning lump his brain had collapsed into and find the words he needed.

"Serpens?" Cassiopeia's tone took on a hint of worry "Serpens can you hear me?"

He heaved, but he couldn't, he couldn't answer.

TheSongOfTheStars

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me