. // THE INSOMNIAC'S CALENDAR. )

Are you a writer or a poet? Come and share your creations with us, or discuss writing techniques with others
Forum rules
Please only post your own original work, do not post poetry or stories which were written by someone else.

perhaps

not
14%
in this era
39%
it is unseen
47%

Total votes : 36

( ── ⊱ ❝ cxix. )

Postby sinensys » Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:59 pm

crookery is a spiteful god whose slighting agitations may lead one to their tumultuous descent upwards. as we turn to it more often, leaving more and more offerings, we find that the distance between our feet and the ground becomes greater. at first, it is an amusement -- watch as i levitate above the earth, that gleeful shriek is released. but over time, the exhilaration feeds to a slanted mindset: i walk above the earth, above this realm, and above all other ground-trodding beasts!

and thus, the reflection of an ordinary or exceptional human being twists to the disproportionate and ill-shaped figure of a stunted creature, the kind that snarls at swaying blades of grass and sinisterly serenades the innocent-minded -- potential prey. a slanted mind leads to a slanted body with crooked habits, and this is the brain's parasitic controls. the brain births and serves its own ideas with habit, and habits can shape the body in turn; a woodworkers hands are calloused with use, a pianist's fingers stretch with years of playing, and the body collapses on itself with excessive reliance on crookery.

the malicious god takes no orders, but dismantling humanity is a treat in and of itself.
sinensys

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

( ── ⊱ ❝ cxx. )

Postby sinensys » Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:10 pm

burnt and brittle
    bones
    make interesting
    weapons,
    the charred shards
    fracturing
    into little
    blades,
    the kind that
    puncture
    and splinter
    beneath the
    surface
    of the
    skin,
    branching out as
    roots.

i
    throw these
    swords towards
    you
    with intent to
    thwart
    your vocal brigade --

"what's that supposed
    to mean, now?"

is a growled
    question
    spoken when
    agitated
    by scathing criticism
    and slanted slights
    from bystanders whose
    brows
    form a
    disbelieving
    triangle that does
    nothing
    but mock and ridicule.

you see,
    ordinarily
    i would
    apologize
    for saying such things,
    and for speaking in such
    tones
    but now i wonder:
    maybe that's
    the problem.

sinensys

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

( ── ⊱ ❝ cxxi. )

Postby sinensys » Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:24 pm

i have spent so long demonizing that curious sprite dubbed 'cunning' -- the sickening feeling of being overpowering and manipulative have tarnished cunning, falsely accusing it of treachery and malice. i have decried past idols, gods, and ghosts for their own suggestions of deceitful ways, and in turn, my own ideals, thoughts, and goals have fallen prey to my own knives. i have, in the face of wake up calls, sworn myself to a life without cunning, and by extension, treachery.

and yet, i am entirely alone. i have blamed cunning for past faults -- for my lack of close contact, physical and emotional, and my inability to express myself. in fact, it would have been fair to extend the idea that my trickery has stifled all other parts of myself, a parasitic vine feeding off a hunching baobab. would have been, had i not seen my mistake in defining cunning, and treachery, for they are not one and the same:

cunning is not clever -- cleverness lies in one's ability to work with given tools in order to solve a puzzle, or complete any other task, for that matter. but cunning is not resourcefulness either, as being resourceful does not require schemes or an end goal. cunning has been likened to wisdom by some, but they are few; some believe that wisdom leads to cunning, but wisdom often warns against the cunning.

cunning is none of these words, and yet -- it would be difficult to define cunning without naming or even implying any of these words. cunning is more than this, and needs to be broken down to truly understand.

i have spent so long demonizing that curious sprite dubbed 'cunning' -- but maybe it's time i dismantled it. maybe it is time to truly understand the pieces that were cultivated beneath the greasy golden mane of the beast nicknamed 'cunning.' maybe i look into the dietary proportions of that creature before i decry it, citing fear-mongering articles of rare instances of true disaster.

cunning draws from many elements. one set of skills include recalling and learning from past experiences -- so, wisdom. another involves aptitude, a specific subsection of intelligence, and this aptitude is the competency and rate at which one learns; this ties into wisdom quite nicely. cunning also draws from scheming, and the crafting of plans with multiple steps: one cannot be cunning without being able to observe, reason, and predict possible paths the future may diverge into. of particular interest, the act of observing, reasoning, and predicting gives way to the skill of reading people. without this skill, one may blunder through social cues, micro expressions, and important yet subconscious signals others may send. these abilities flow into one another, weaving a complex garment for a sophisticated creature.

it is only with these skills that cunning -- true deceit -- can be utilised successfully. the difference between cunning and treachery lies in the purpose of the deceit and intentions: both must be carefully considered in order to differentiate cunning and treachery. treachery is a disregard to the tactful slinking of cunning, and its goal is to cause intentional pain. cunning is working with given tools to obtain more tools and, ultimately, alter something, whether it be someone else or one's own self.

my mistake has been in my shame of being deceitful. it is important to realise several things regarding deceit:
    one -- without cunning, i would not be as in-tune with others' emotions, reactions, reasons, and motives; i would be blinded.

two -- deceit has given me insight to how others work, and while i must not gloat about such skills, i must remember to respect and appreciate it.

three -- it is not my cunning which has shut others out, but my pride, low self-esteem, and poor placement of values that have left others to freely trickle away with no resistance.

four -- i must learn to use individual fragments of cunning, individual muscles of a hand, to expand and cultivate other branches. i have the capability, i just never bothered to look beyond the blurred lenses of my own tears; i have to try, and i have to try now, more than ever.

five -- i have to recognise that is isn't imperative i constantly raise that crafted shield; i must learn when to rest and when to raise it. doing so will smoothen any inconsistencies between fractals of my personality, between masks worn for others. i must acknowledge that i am enough, that i do not need to morph into some crooked ghost to please all -- there will be some who are disinterested in what i have to say or do, and this is normal. by learning to lower my shield, i am acknowledging that i, too, have emotions separate from others, and that i, too, can be vulnerable with others. by starting with lowering a shield, i will break down cemented walls and lower drawbridges to others. i must learn to lower drawbridges more than anything, for this allows others in, even when i cannot or have not broken down the ill-constructed concrete that looms over me as i write this. perhaps, with enough practise, i will even allow them to help me break down the solidified bricks.

with these in mind, i will drop all charges against deceit and its cunning ways. and, i will try to understand it better, using the sight into others, a skill given to me by deceit itself, to peer into myself for once. why did i do the things i did? why do i do the things i do? which are conscious decisions, and which are habits picked up from others -- benevolent or malicious, used for self-benefit or for self-sabotage?

i must remember to respect its gifts to me, and i must remember to acknowledge the subparts it contains. i must thank the crane and snake, and i must use their intricate tongue to speak with my amygdala and frontal lobe, beasts i had feared and hated for a long time.

"just be yourself," was the thoughtlessly murmured advice -- but now i can truly recognise just what that entails in a way that is meaningless to others.
sinensys

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

( ── ⊱ ❝ cxxii. )

Postby sinensys » Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:31 pm

what a strange
    feeling
    it is to
    meet your
    maker --
    but through the
    upwardly gazing
    eyes
    of your own
    creation.

it looks up at
    me
    and i am afraid of what it has
    seen --
    and of what
    i
    have seen in my own
    (where is the compassion?
    is it all just
    impulse and
    curiosity?)
sinensys

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

( ── ⊱ ❝ cxxiii. )

Postby sinensys » Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:34 pm

i alone remain!
    my dreamself declares,
    a crooked grin
    laden with fangs
    and threats

the others cower
    beneath the burning
    glare
    of that dreamself,
    but i see through that
    rubiginous ghost's
    feeble glimmer --

the air remains
    murky
    where the ghost stands,
    but oh
    a swipe of the
    hand
    reveals an
    ordinary and
    pitiful
    creature.

i begin to
    feel my own
    body
    dissipate after
    that ghost is
    scared off

i remain alone!
sinensys

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

( ── ⊱ ❝ cxxiv. )

Postby sinensys » Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:24 pm

ha ha ha!
    i've become a goat
    gloating about the
    moats i've built
    around my little city
    of one fract
    ured skull,
    skulking about the
    corners of my own mission
    clouding my own vision
    as i race to the sky
    and forget the simple
    fact
    that i cannot breathe
    up there,
    not when the sky is
    an inverted
    marianas trench
sinensys

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

( ── ⊱ ❝ cxxv. )

Postby sinensys » Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:40 pm

his breath rasps at the back of his skull, exhaling outwards through his mouth. the frozen clouds crunch beneath his boots as he treks onwards, the path well-traversed in his mind but not in this plane -- he's never walked here during the sun's shift, only at night with his body abandoned in his bedroom. in his dreamscape, he knows that beyond this little ridge lies a river, and following that river downstream leads to the train station.

he only knows that his destination is that train station -- and that which lies north of it, whatever that means.

the weather pokes and prods at his wrists, ankles, neck, and ears, preparing to bite down with its chipped teeth; he shivers and quickens his pace. the gravel shifts its and his weight, arguing with the freshly fallen ash flakes as it strains beneath the combined mass. he crams his hands further into the pockets of his cold jeans -- it provides no warmth, but the action is soothing to him. there isn't much that'll soothe him as much as that simple action, he thinks, but the truth is that he's never looked for more.

what's there left to be looked for, anyways?

the house on the edge of the lake will be forgotten, its walls barren. the path he's walking on -- the one shrouded in a dusty white cloth -- will also be forgotten. these woods, one day, will fall prey to time.

but not him -- he'll get more time, if he makes it to the station and heads north. he'll have time, then, to confront the heaving in the back of his brainpan.

the woods thin out, leaving the sleepy shuddering of leaves behind. ah! -- there it is! the river splits east and west and, without a pause to let the rasping catch up to him, he turns left. as he turns, he begins to find that he can't remember the way back, or the colour of his old home's door. was it plain wood, or painted? did he have a knocker? what type of wood was the front door?

he blinks and the fleeting memory of doors creaks and clicks to a definitive closed; the beast behind it hasn't figured out how to open it yet, beating against it with anguished howls and vaguely wordless threats. but he doesn't mind -- he has to speak up over the sound of an arriving train anyways, to buy his tickets away: one for himself, one for the beast, and one for the seat between, to separate them. it was a strange feeling, to buy the fiend a seat, but it was worth a try. for years, he'd left them traps to spook them off, or he'd killed them.

he knows how to outrun them.

if things got too bad, he'd do it all again.

he'd do anything for peace of mind -- hell, he'd settle for a piece of his stolen mind.

the beast's yelling was catching up now -- maybe the door was paper and not wood, he thinks -- and he heads to the train. his ankles feel a sharper breeze as the train halts to catch its breath. he stops, looks over his should, and waits; the fiend rasps a little louder, confused that their little game has changed. for years, it had been met with knives, with traps, with scathing words, but now -- now the beast is left with a hollow gaze in its direction, and the man removes a hand from his pocket to scratch at his chin. the beast waits and then boards, cautiously, at the man's heels. the man looks down at the unseen ghost. the train lurches, and he falls.

the sheets feel nice, but he bets they'd feel nice without the beast's frothing snout at his throat.

he should have known better.
sinensys

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

( ── ⊱ ❝ cxxvi. )

Postby sinensys » Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:22 pm

the snake and the crane may be carriers of deceit, yet listen how much quieter it is without the incessant noise of chattering toads

it is balance we seek, for the snake may poison the crane and the crane may eat the snake -- yet both live in trust.

sinensys

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

( ── ⊱ ❝ cxxvii. )

Postby sinensys » Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:34 pm

as i walk along the earth
    i wonder if it's worth it
    to overwork the worms
    inside my skull where
    panic is berthed

sinensys

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

( ── ⊱ ❝ cxxviii. )

Postby sinensys » Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:51 pm

i have gone so long without yelling, my vocal chords have atrophied.
    perhaps it is time to begin exercising them once more.

i have gone so long denying praise, i have forgotten how to thank others.
    perhaps it is time to begin accepting without downplaying once more.

perhaps it is time to change.
    to new beginnings, i toast --
    but really, i am not beginning anew, but rather
    morphing
    into a better creature.
sinensys

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups