28 days-Sweet's Challenge

Are you a writer or a poet? Come and share your creations with us, or discuss writing techniques with others
Forum rules
Please only post your own original work, do not post poetry or stories which were written by someone else.

28 days-Sweet's Challenge

Postby TheSongOfTheStars » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:06 am

Hello! I'm going to be doing this challenge created by Sweet.
The challenge is the write a small piece every day every day of February. The prompt list and challenge credit all goes to Sweet Devil and I asked their permission to participate.
As I am going to be on a trip for the first week of the month I may not be able to post the prompts, but I will post them online as soon as possible!

I have no idea when I'll finished this. Someday.
the prompts ;;
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
1 -- 12:00 am
2 -- Early Bird
3 -- Snow
4 -- The Library
5 -- Night Owl
6 -- The color Red
7 -- Parents
8 -- Fire
9 -- A hoard of...
10 -- A deck of cards
11 -- Greatest Fear
12 -- Overheard
13 -- The Cold
14 -- The Sound of Music
15 -- Alone
16 -- Tastes Like...
17 -- Dear Diary...
18 -- A Present
19 -- Roses aren't Red
20 -- A Secret
21 -- Sleepover
22 -- Bar Night
23 -- Something Sweet
24 -- Cookies
25 -- The Basement
26 -- Old Friend
27 -- Unexcepted
28 -- Wild Card
Last edited by TheSongOfTheStars on Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TheSongOfTheStars

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: 28 days-Sweet's Challenge

Postby TheSongOfTheStars » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:14 am

12:00 am
1378 words

"Hey, hey, Skip," Martin's soft voice broke through the silence of night "C'mon little mate, wake up."
Skipper flinched as suddenly he was aware of his father's heavy hand resting against his back.
"Skip?"
"Mm, yeah?" Skipper mumbled as he sat up, blinking in the dark.
"C'mon, I want to show you something."
"Now?"
"Yes, now. Hurry and get your shoes on."
Skipper slipped out of bed and took the pair of shoes Martin held out to him. "Is something wrong?"
"No, no, nothing's wrong, I just want to show you something," Martin held out Skipper's coat and the young otter slipped into it.
"Does Mum know we're going?" Skipper asked as he followed his father down the stairs.
"Sort of, Martin replied "Don't worry, she won't be angry with us."
"Okay," Skipper said quietly as Martin opened the door, letting in the frigid winter air.

He didn't ask any more questions as he followed his father through the streets, not even when he sensed that they where approaching the sea.
As the houses and shops degenerated into rickety shacks and mouldering sheds, so the street turned from cobble to packed earth to sand, and the nervous excitement built inside of Skipper like steam in a kettle.
But as they came on the first crest of sand Martin stopped and turned to face Skipper, his face creased with an excitement that mirrored his son's own bubbling feelings.
"Remember when we came out here last week at high tide?"

Skipper nodded, even though he couldn't imagine how the tide had any bearing on their midnight excursion?
"And remember how I told you that when the tide dropped out you would be able to see the tidepools, but we didn't have a chance to go?"
Again Skipper nodded.
"Well," Martin shifted back and forth on his feet, clearly overcome with his surprise "Tonight is the lowest tide of the year and there is something very...special, that you can only get to on this night for only a few hours."
"And we're going there?"
Martin grinned and nodded, then turned and began climbing the dune "This place is a secret, though, you understand? You can't talk about it to anyone."
"I understand," Skipper confirmed as he scrambled up alongside his father, paws and shoes sinking into the sand "Like Shyshie and the selkies."
"Exactly. Just like that, some of the people you know also know about this, but that doesn't mean that you should talk to them about it," Martin made the top of the dune, then reached down and pulled Skipper up beside him "You alright?"
"Yeah," Skipper collapsed, panting "Are we almost there?"
Martin laughed "Sorry mate, not even close, here, I'll carry you for a bit."
Skipper leaned his head against his father's neck as Martin slogged down the slope and began walking towards the cliffs. As the ground turned from sand to heavy wet stones Martin set him back down "You'll have to walk now, but be careful, it's slippery."
"Okay," Skipper slipped his fingers into Martin's hand "How far now?"
"Patience, not too far off," Martin squeezed Skipper's hand gently "Careful now."
"I am," Skipper focused all his attention downwards "It's all wet."
"Yes, because most of the time it's underwater."
"Oh...That makes sense."
Martin chuckled quietly "Does, doesn't it?"

They were quiet afterwards, listening to the waves receding slowly further and further away from them.
Then Martin stopped and motioned for Skipper to do the same.
"What is it?" Skip whispered, his eyes searching the dark rocks but finding nothing.
"Watch," Martin said quietly as he knelt next to a large boulder, then slipped his feet fowards and suddenly his hat was disappearing beneath the rock.
"Dad?!"
"It's alright Skip, just put your feet through and I'll catch you," Martin's voice floated up with reassuring strength "You'll be fine."
"O-okay Dad," Skipper inched his shoes into the darkness, swallowing hard as he lost sight of his own ankles.
"You're doing great," Martin wrapped his hands around Skipper's waist and lifted him down.
"I can't see anything."
"Yeah, hang on I can fix that," Skipper heard the scrape of metal, then saw a dim blue light leaking out around his father's figure.
"Is that your-"
"Aye, it's my sword," Martin held up the cutlass, an oceanic glow pouring down from the runes cut into the flat of the blade "Neat, huh?"
"But how does it do that?" Skipper's eyes fastened on the ancient illuminating letters "I've never seen it do that before.
"Ehh" Martin rubbed at the back of his neck "I'm still working on that one, but I have a few ideas."
"Like what?"
"Tell ya what, I'll explain on the way, we don't have a lot of time," Martin stepped forwards and down, onto the first step of a staircase that Skipper hadn't noticed until that moment. "The tide hasn't dropped all the way out yet, but when it does, it'll only stay out for a short time before it starts to rise again."
"We're going deeper?" Skipper asked, eyes sweeping the glistening walls.
"Oh Skip, we've barely scratched the surface," Martin laughed softy as they continued descending "Don't worry, I know where we're going."
"You've been here before?"
"A few times," Martin shrugged a little "Anyway, about the sword glowing and all that, you've read that book I gave you right?"
"Which one?" Skipper asked, wrinkling his nose "You've given me a lot of books."
"Only two."
"Two really big ones. With really big words."
"Alright, sorry, here's the point, those books where about an ancient civilization, Numorea-"
"Is that where the sword came from?"
"Yeah. But they didn't make it just to be a sword, they also used it as...sort of a key or a tracker, since a lot of their further settlements where hidden-"
"That's why it glows!" Skipper exclaimed as he made the sudden connection "But how does it do that?"
Martin grinned as his son began putting things together "Numoreans used a special mineral when they were building, called lightstone, and somehow they imbued the same mineral into the marks on the sword. Now, whenever it's near a deposit of lightstone or a settlement, it glows."
"So...where are we going now?" Skipper peered ahead and thought he could distinguish a glow seperate from the sword.
"Oh, well it's not too impressive, but it's extremely hidden, accessible by walking only tonight."
"Wait so is there a way to get here by swimming? Besides the way we just came?"
"Yeah, that's how I found the place," Martin lowered his sword as the glow ahead became brighter "It's a bit more complicated and a lot more dangerous."
He trailed off as Skipper's attention was drawn from him back to their surroundings.
The stairs ended and a few steps past them the entrance to a passageway leading upwards.
Martin couldn't help but grin as they stepped into the blue light and Skipper gave off a muffled squeal. He'd felt the same way when he'd first found the passage.
The crystals had been left uncut by the Numoreans and now, a thousand years later, they head grown monsterous and taken over the walls and roof of the passage, forming an exotic glowing archway that extended in a haze of blue light.
Skipper stopped moving and just stared around him in blank amazment, the spikes of light reflecting in his eyes.
"Come on Skip," Martin nudged him gently "We're almost there."
Skipper moved forwards silently, still overawed. Martin had to keep his hand on the boy's shoulder to keep him walking.
Martin knew Skipper would'vel liked to linger and he himself wanted to as well, but time was short and midnight fast encroaching.
The crystals receded as they entered an open chamber, lit instead by the same mineral engraved in flowing design on the walls with intent.
"What's this place?" Skipper asked looking around and blinking as his eyes adjusted to the lower light "What's that?"
"That is what this place was created for," Martin replied as he stepped up to the stone stand that rose seamlessly out of the ground. His fingers ran along the pedistal atop it. "This is where the sword came from."
Just then a distant braven clang sounded dimly.
"What's that?" Skipper turned.
"The midnight bells, the sound carries."

sorry for the weird ending, if I don't stop I'll never finish

Last edited by TheSongOfTheStars on Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:59 am, edited 3 times in total.
TheSongOfTheStars

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby TheSongOfTheStars » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:43 pm

Early Bird

223 words
"You've got to stop doing this to me," Jade groaned as she collapsed next to her sister "The sun hasn't even come up yet."
"You didn't have to come," Jasmine pointed out quietly, crossing her legs and smiling as Jade pulled a face at her.
"Well someone's got to keep you under control."
"Of course," Jasmine laughed softly "Prone as I am to raging fits of anger and impulsive thoughtless actions, I probably should have a chaperone."
"It's too early for your sarcasm," Jade growled, whacking Jasmine's shoulder lightly "Why do you even come up here anyways?"
"I like watching the sunrise," Jasmine folded her paws together and fixed her gaze on the edge of the horizon.
"But do you have to come all the way out to this hill?"
"I enjoy the walk."
"But then you have to get up even earlier so you won't miss the sunrise."
"I don't mind."

Jade squeezed her eyes shut and sighed "I should have stayed in bed."
"Why were you up? You don't usually go to bed until very late."
Jade shrugged "I don't know, just woke up and couldn't sleep. What were you doing up?"
"I'm usually awake by then."

Jade squinted at her sister silently.
"What?"
"Early bird," Jade said darkly.
Jasmine rolled her eyes "Be quiet, the sun's about to come up."

Last edited by TheSongOfTheStars on Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
TheSongOfTheStars

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby TheSongOfTheStars » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:43 pm

Snow

420 words

Two sets of prints tracked side-by-side through the thick deep snow, heading away from the high walls and inquisitive eyes.

As the two walkers entered the forest laden with winter's white blounty, one glanced into the face of the other, wondering what she was thinking.

There was a hundred things running through both their minds, a hundred questions that they couldn't answer, and a hundred things that they needed to talk about.

But when she stopped and prepared to speak, Jade didn't say what Vrell thought she'd say.

"Snow's pretty, isn't it?"

He blinked and glanced away from her face at their white surroundings, then nodded.

"But I suppose it doesn't make that big a difference to you."
"It's normal to me," he shrugged "Did you get a lot of snow where you grew up?"
"Quite a bit," she drifted a half step closer to him, a nostalgic smile ghosting across her face "When the first freeze came, Jas and I would beg Ba to take us skating," she sighed, the smile disappearing, though it'd barely ever been there at all "It used to be so exciting."
"It's not exciting anymore?"
"It is, but its not the same as when you're a kid. Did you ever skate?"
He shrugged "No, I never even heard about it until I left the Mont."
"I think you'd be good at it."
"You'll have to teach me sometime."

That ghostly smile returned "Sounds like fun."
He smiled back, even though he'd mentioned a taboo subject: the future.
The day they stood before the gates of the palace, they agreed that they wouldn't make any frivolous mentions of the future. It was simply too uncertain.

But now, here she was, smiling at him for breaking their pact.
She held out her hand and he took it with a gentle squeeze.

She was about to say something else when suddenly the branches above them decided to offload their heavy burden down onto the two tigers.

Jade burst out laughing as they cleared away the snow
"Are you okay? " she asked between her giggles.

"Yeah, I'm fine," he wiped the snow away from his whiskers "You?"
"Yup," she grinned at him, snow still lacing her whiskers.

"Hold on, you've still got some-" he reached out to brush away the snow as another bank came tumbling down on their heads.

"What on earth!?" Vrell yelped as he shook off the fresh pilings "Is somebody up there?"
"Come on," Jade tugged on his arm, grinning "Let's finish our walk."

Last edited by TheSongOfTheStars on Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheSongOfTheStars

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby TheSongOfTheStars » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:44 pm

The Library

Shyshie was so engrossed with her book that she didn't hear the librarian shuffle up or clear his throat loudly.
Only when he set the book on the table, sending a slight tremor through the grain, did she look up.
And for a moment she stared, surprised to find eyes so blue outside of the sea.

Then they blinked and her focus widened to the rest of his face.

He gave her a small uncomfortable smile.
"I found it."

"....Beg pardon?"

"One of the only books in the library you haven't read," he shrugged a bit "I heard you talking with Melda."

She laughed softly and plucked up the thin volume "So you went to look for one for me? How'd you know what I had and hadn't read?"
He shrugged "Just looked at your check-out record. You really have read most of the books here."
"Not this one though," she said, scrutinizing "This one's almost new!"
"Yeah, that's probably the only reason I haven't read it," she thumbed through the pages, eyes flicking across the lines "Huh, it's poetry."
"Yeah," suddenly he seemed twice as self-conscious "Anyway... I should go..."

"Wait, I don't think I've seen you around before, what's your name?"
"Oh, I'm Dolorian, Dolorian Anj, I'm from up north."
"Shyshie Starwalk, but I daresay you already knew that," she stood and extended her paw, still fixed curiously on his eyes.
"Yeah," he took her paw and shook it with the grip of a dead fish "I've heard of you."
Last edited by TheSongOfTheStars on Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.
TheSongOfTheStars

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby TheSongOfTheStars » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:47 pm

Night Owl
TheSongOfTheStars