~Breathing Through My Mouth~ Stormy's Challenge

Are you a writer or a poet? Come and share your creations with us, or discuss writing techniques with others
Forum rules
Please only post your own original work, do not post poetry or stories which were written by someone else.

Re: ~Breathing Through My Mouth~ Stormy's Challenge

Postby TheSongOfTheStars » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:31 pm

^-^ They have their own small story line and then they're also going to be supporting characters in the larger, overall storyline. So yes, a bit more at least.

If crediting me for art/character design then please use TheSongOfTheStars on Toyhou.se
or FiveSecondsToFly on deviantart for anywhere else
TheSongOfTheStars

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: ~Breathing Through My Mouth~ Stormy's Challenge

Postby Ranger of the North » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:25 pm

TheSongOfTheStars wrote:^-^ They have their own small story line and then they're also going to be supporting characters in the larger, overall storyline. So yes, a bit more at least.
Awesome! I like them already :.D
Ranger of the North

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Re: 96

Postby TheSongOfTheStars » Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:40 pm

"sunrise!"
893 words
Aveth would never admit it, but living with Kwet was exhausting. Between their work schedules they barely had enough time to sleep. And when they were supposed to be sleeping Kwet was tinkering. With what, Aveth had no idea.
The doctor was quiet. But even when he was sleeping Kwet could barely stand having anyone within a few feet of him. That alone wore Aveth thin. But trying to convince his own body it was safe because Kwet was just flat out too far away was absolutly exhausting.
The worst part though, was times like these.
Aveth wished he could blame it on Kwet's parents, the way he blamed everything else wrong with his friend on them. But Kwet had done this to himself. Aveth knew that. A person couldn't just work in the place Kwet did and not come out unscathed. The things he saw....
Aveth closed his eyes, blocking out the sight of Kwet's face crumpled up in a silent sob. He could almost ignore that. But he couldn't just block out the sounds.
Breathy whimpers and barely audible sobs. Worse still was when he actually began speaking. Half muttered, barely coherent, disturbing phrases nonetheless.
Please let them live, please, please, they're so young
Oh teeth his
face what happened to his face
Aveth tried to forget them come morning, but never really succeeded. Usually he just pulled his wings over his head and pretended that it was all really just his own nightmare, but tonight that just wasn't working.
It had been several hours now and Kwet just couldn't seem to escape whatever nightmare had hold of him. Aveth sat up and gave him a quick shove. The result was instant. Kwet sat bolt upright, wings unfolding and locking out straight.
"Hey! Hey! Woah! It was just a nightmare," Aveth scrambled back, hands held up "Kwet, it's me, you're safe!"
Kwet stared at him, eyes dialated full and mouth hanging open. Not comprehending or seeing the room around him.
Terrified he'd somehow broken his friend, Aveth reached out and touched Kwet's arm.
The doctor shuddered and blinked twice "Aveth?"
"You were having a nightmare."
"Oh," Kwet slowly collapsed on himself, pulling his arms and legs and wings up to turn himself into a little ball.
"Are you okay?"
"Yes," Kwet's voice cracked and he obviously wasn't.
Aveth scooted closer, reaching out again and Kwet shied away.
"I'm sorry, I thought it'd be better if I woke you up."
"M fine," Kwet curled his wings over his head.
"No, no you're not," Aveth resisted the instinct to curl around Kwet and protect him until the danger passed. But there wasn't any danger, not any he could fight to actually help Kwet with.
"Don't want to talk about it."
"I do, I'm worried...you're scaring me. Please, talk to me."
Kwet peeked out from behind his wing "Nothing to talk about."
Aveth edged closer and gingerly wrapped his fingers around Kwet's wingtip, gently peeling it away from his face.
"C'mon. Not for you, me. I can't sleep."
Kwet let out a wobbly sigh and let his wings slip down. His eyes looked tortured. Tired.
"Can't you call someone and talk to them?"
"At this hour?"
He huffed weakly "What do you want to talk about."
"I don't know, something," Aveth leaned back against the wall "What Void forsaken contraption did you assemble today?"
"Nothing," Kwet replied forlornly "I was too tired after work."
"You had a double shift at the hospital."
"Yeah."
"Why'd you do that? You always seem so... drained afterwards."
"I.... don't know."
Kwet slouched a little lower and Aveth slipped closer to him.
"I guess I just...feel bad. What if there's not enough doctors to help during an emergency."
"Yeah but your nightmares are always worse when you're tired," Aveth blurted, then recoiled. He hadn't meant to say that.
"Do I bother you often?" Kwet's voice crumpled in a frown "I...I didn't..."
"No, no, it's not your fault," without thinking Aveth reached out and pulled Kwet into a tight hug.
Kwet tolerated it for a second, then squirmed away with an apologetic look "I know that's how literally everyone else in our entire species comforts each other, but not me, I just can't Aveth."
Aveth hung his head and backed away to what he hoped was a respectful distance.
"Did you ever wonder that maybe you don't like it because you're just not used to it?" He asked after nearly a full minute of silence.
"No," Kwet replied after a thoughtful tilt of his head "I hadn't actually. I always just assumed it was just another thing that was wrong with me."
He looked back up at Aveth, then gingerly wrapped his arms around Aveth's shoulder.
"Like this?" His voice was muffled between his own elbows.
"Yeah, like that," Aveth slipped his wing over Kwet's back "Feel better?"
"No."
But he didn't move.
"Are you going to go back to sleep?"
"Mm-hmm," Kwet mumbled, his grip loosening, but he was still leaning against Aveth. Aveth slipped his arm free and tucked it around Kwet's back.
In a few minutes he was asleep again. Aveth wasn't, but he much more relaxed. They were propped up against a wall but it wasn't uncomfortable.
He watched the sun rise, turning the silver city brilliant rose, and he didn't feel tired.

If crediting me for art/character design then please use TheSongOfTheStars on Toyhou.se
or FiveSecondsToFly on deviantart for anywhere else
TheSongOfTheStars

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me