2017 Advent Challenge

Are you a writer or a poet? Come and share your creations with us, or discuss writing techniques with others
Forum rules
Please only post your own original work, do not post poetry or stories which were written by someone else.

Should I do this again next year?

Yes! I like reading these.
94%
No, you don't spend enough time on them
6%

Total votes : 31

Re: 2017 Advent Challenge

Postby TheSongOfTheStars » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:55 pm

Fire

"When's Mama coming?"
Jon-tai asked with weary tears as he tugged on the monkey's sleeve "She's been gone forever."
The monkey sighed and picked the little boy up. It had been nearly two weeks since his mother had left him and ever since his questions had been constant. Where had she gone? When was she coming back? Was she alright?"
It was the same with many other children, but no less heartbreaking.
"Later, it's time for bed now."

Jon-tai fidgeted with his stick beneath the blanket while the rest of the children fell asleep on their mats.
Finally, restless and filled with an unsettled feeling that his young head couldn't place he crawled out from the blankets and up to the small window. He scuffled with the shutters and finally managed to get them open, then swung himself up onto the sill and stared out, the winter air biting at his legs.
He shivered and pulled his knees up to his chest, in the same act dislodging the lit lantern that was hung just above his head.
He squeaked in dismay as it shattered behind him and almost instantly the dry grass mat he'd been lying on caught alight.
The other children began to wake up when they heard the crash of breaking glass, then screams began to fill the room as smoke poured up from the burning mat.
Terrified of the fire, Jon-tai tumbled forwards out of the window and onto the thin layer of snow. Then, regaining his feet, he started running, away from the fire and the shouting into the dark cold night.

He stopped when he lost his breath in the dark air and he found himself lost, on a long road that stretched through the silent buildings.
Slowly he approached one with a glow leaking out from under its door, and finding that a bit of warm leaked out too, curled up pressed against the wood, and fell asleep.

Mei-li stared at the burnt out shell of a building, feeling horrified and sick. She knew several days had passed since the fire, but she was certain she could still see smoke rising out from the charred roof.
"Ma'am?"
She whirled around, her lungs squeezing all the air from her chest, then choking her as she couldn't take another breath.
It was the monkey.
"I'm sorry."
No.
She's taken him here so he would be safe.
"We couldn't find him after the fire. I'm so sorry."

If crediting me for art/character design then please use TheSongOfTheStars on Toyhou.se
or FiveSecondsToFly on deviantart for anywhere else
TheSongOfTheStars

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ranger of the North » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:27 pm

YOU FIX THIS
Ranger of the North

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby TheSongOfTheStars » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:18 pm

Coats

Lionel bit down hard on his lip as Freeta swept out of the infirmary with a glare that could've boiled water.
"Don't look at me like that," she snapped, crossing her arms and causing the coat sleeves that dipped down to her ankles to sway around her legs "If you insist on dragging me out in this abominable weather then I am very well going to dress for it!"
His teeth lost grip and his mouth twitched into a smile.
Not only were the sleeves long, they were trimmed with white, making it seem like she'd pulled out her own fur to decorate the coat that hugged her body like a giant pillow. Her pants were no better, thick and round, making her seem like she had twice the amount of weight to her body than reality, and the same white trim was around her ankles, almost hiding her overlarge shoes.
"W-where did you get that?" he asked in the steadiest voice he could manage.
"I made it myself."
Maybe that was her fur.

"Now stop laughing," she said, taking an ungainly step forwards, her heavily wrapped tail dragging along the ground behind her "You can walk barefoot through snow and not flinch. Not that it's healthy for you or anything."
"I change how I dress when it gets cold," he said defensively, reaching out to steady her as she wobbled.
"You put pants on, that is literally all you do."
"And I wear longer sleeves and shoes."
"Is something wrong with your shoes?" Mei-li caught his last words as she pattered up breathlessly.
"No, they're fine, are you alright?"
"Yeah, just looking for Jon-" She paused as she saw Freeta and a giggle burst from her lips "What are you wearing?"
"Now don't you start. Are we going or not?"
"As soon as I find Jon-tai, he's disappeared on me."
"Why am I not surprised? I couldn't find Lyra after I got her coat on."
"Hmph, how many coats did you put on her?"
"Very funny Lionel, only three."
"Three!?" Mei-li almost squawked "No wonder you can't find her she's probably run off to get rid of them all."
"Oh please, she's gets just as cold as I do."
No sooner had she spoken then there was a burst of giggles and claws clicking rapidly across the stone hall, then Jon-tai and Lyra came tumbling around the corner, chasing a ball, Lyra wearing long sleeves and pants but no coat and Jon-tai wearing nothing but a pair of raggety pants that didn't reach past his knees.
"Ahg! Lyra! Where's your coat!?"
Lyra froze at her grandmother's exclamation, then tucked her tail between her legs and raced back around the corner.
"No! Come back!"
Freeta stumbled three steps forwards, then fell over her own dragging tail, Jon-tai stared down at the over bundled fox, then up at his mother with a nervous smile.
"Shirt, pants, shoes, now."
"But I'm wearing pants!"
"Those don't count. Come on."
While Mei and Jon-tai marched off for a proper set of winter clothing, Lionel helped Freeta up to her feet.
"I'm fine, I'm fine," she growled as she all but waddled forwards.
"Come on, I think you might need a lighter coat."
"No."
Last edited by TheSongOfTheStars on Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

If crediting me for art/character design then please use TheSongOfTheStars on Toyhou.se
TheSongOfTheStars

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby TheSongOfTheStars » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:23 am

Kind words

"You're still worried she's going to leave you."
Darkmoon turned, her heels crunching in the loose gravel, to find the old fox selkie standing behind her with his blue eyes shining with thoughtful sympathy.
She glanced back down the rocky precipice that pressed against the strip of sand, where her daughter was chattering with several of the other selkie children, then she sighed and sat down, her legs flying over the edge.
"That's how all the stories end, isn't it?" She asked quietly, not looking towards him as he sat next to her.
"No," he replied tilting his head "Just your stories."
"Our stories? How are yours any different? Lovers torn apart by two passions, families divided by opposing desires. I guess it's a happy ending instead of a sad one when the selkie comes back to the sea."
"Not necessarily," he said slowly, reaching out to touch her shoulder lightly "There's a part that your stories never got to see."
"Oh and what part is that?" She asked, brushing away his hand.
He smiled "The happy end."
"Selkie stories never get a happy end."
"Darkmoon the stories your people tell may have been based on true happenings but they are still just stories, told many years ago and despite what they say selkies are no more prone to tragedy than any other race."
"So what happened really to the lovers of two different worlds? What happened to families like mine?"
"Believe it or not Darkmoon they found comprises, unlike the stories where life dictates one path or another, reality offers a far more varied way of thinking."
"I don't follow."
"Compromise Darkmoon, Shyshie is of the land and of the sea, there is nothing wrong with her dividing her time between the two."
"But-" Darkmoon closed her eyes and hugged herself "what if she doesn't want to divide herself, Horeth? What if she wants to stay here? I don't dare stop her."
"And why not? You're her mother, her caretaker, that is in truth your decision."
"Because in that story I'm the villain, depriving her of what she longs for, leaving an ache that she'd never find relief from" Darkmoon brushed away something from her eye "I can't be that person. Not again."
"I don't know what you're talking about, but I do not see a villain nor a mother that would willingly deprive her daughter of happiness. Who I do see is a mother who would give her very life to protect her child and that child need never fear losing your love. That I understand well, what I do not understand is why you are so afraid of losing her love."
Darkmoon sniffled and rubbed her eyes with the back of her hand "It's none of your concern fox."
He tilted his ears back to the path as he stop up "I am concerned, but you ought to speak with your daughter, that's the only way to truly resolved this."
Darkmoon turned as she heard the soft crunch of ascending feet.
"Mama? Are you up here?"
"I'm right here," Darkmoon stood and hurried forwards as Shyshie reached the top of the path.
"Shyshie," Darkmoon reached out to brush away a smudge from her daughter's cheek "How are you feeling?"
"Tired," Shyshie leaned into her mother's touch, her eyes drifting close "Can we go home now?"
"Of course," Darkmoon glanced back at Horeth.
"I will accompany you," he said, drawing the hood of his seal cloak over his head "these other things can be resolved later."
Darkmoon nodded and knelt down to scoop Shyshie into her arms.
Last edited by TheSongOfTheStars on Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TheSongOfTheStars

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ranger of the North » Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:43 pm

Aww. Families together again :'3 <3
Ranger of the North

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby TheSongOfTheStars » Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:49 pm

Yes, it's so much fun putting them together and seeing how many times you can pull them apart in the most interesting ways.

TheSongOfTheStars

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ranger of the North » Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:54 pm

TheSongOfTheStars wrote:Yes, it's so much fun putting them together and seeing how many times you can pull them apart in the most interesting ways.
Ranger of the North

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby TheSongOfTheStars » Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:30 am

Sugar

"Umm, I don't think this is going to clear up any time soon," Shyshie said as she stood at the window watching the evening storm ripping through the street "It looks like you're stuck here."
She turned to Seashadow and Shoremist, her selkie friends who she had invited over for the day for the express reason of visiting the library. The sisters were surrounded by borrowed books, which they handled as if they were as fragile as last autumn's leaves and as precious as white jewels.
"Oh no," Seashadow gingerly set down her book "We should be going before it gets any worse."
"I don't think you want to go out there." No sooner had Shyshie spoken then brilliant light flashed followed half a second later by a window quivering roll of thunder. She squeaked and scuttled backwards behind a small tower of books.
"No one is going anywhere until at least tomorrow morning," Darkmoon said, walking in with an armload of firewood. She dumped the logs into the fire place, then turned to look at the selkie cats, hands planted on hips "You two will just have to spend the night."

"Oh no," Seashadow stood up "We don't want to impose-"
"And I don't want to hear from your parents if you don't make it back to the cove safely. And anyways I've already made up the guest bedrooms for you and set out tea for the four of us."
"Oh, thank you," Seashadow smiled with pensive grace "I've never actually had tea before I don't think- Shoremist have you had tea? Shoremist?"
"Hm?" Shoremist didn't even look up from her book.
"Shoremist, you're being rude."
Darkmoon laughed "Don't bother her, Shyshie gets like that too when she's into a good book. Best to leave her until she's done."
"I can see why. These..." She gestured to the small collection of books "Are amazing. I never imagined stories printed on paper could be so alive without a voice to speak them aloud."
"You can hear their voices in your head," Shyshie chirped, tugging her coat closer as thunder rolled again "Can I help you with anything Mama?"
"Oh, let me help as well, Mrs Darkmoon."
"You can help me by sitting down and finishing that book, I know you don't get to read much."
"Oh no, I'd love to help."
"I know you'd love to finish that book, Shyshie's read it five times, three times straight, she tells me it's riveting."
Seashadow glanced longingly down at her book and sighed "That is true."
"Wonderful," Darkmoon gestured to the chair "Now sit. Come on Shy."

"Hey, Mist," Shyshie tapped the enraptured cat on the arm, startling her out of her story "We made you some tea."
"Tea?" The white cat lowered her book "What's that?"
"It's a drink, here, you can put some sugar and cream in it."
"Ooh, cream. Whitegourd or ummm...?"
"Its honeybright flower. Ever had that?"
"Yes and what's sugar?"
"You've never had sugar?"
Shoremist shook her head.
"Here, it's... This stuff," Shyshie dipped the small teaspoon into the bowl of sugar and scooped some of the white grain into it "Taste."
Tentatively Shoremist poured the sugar onto her tongue and instantly her eyes lit up into wonder.
"It's sweet!" She exclaimed, staring down at sugar bowl in a amazement "Seashadow, you have to have some!"
Seashadow crimped her mouth in amusement at her younger sister's overexcitement, but the reserve fell away as she tasted the sweet sugar.
"Oh...my...word..."
Shyshie couldn't stuff back her giggles any longer and amidst her laughter she managed to ask "Haven't you ever had sugar in your food before?"
"No! I've never had anything that tasted so sweet!" Seashadow scooped up another heaping spoonful and dumped it into her mouth.
"Wait!" Shyshie gasped, giggling as she watched her friends eating the sugar straight "It goes into the tea to make it sweeter!"
"Oh, of course, I see," Shoremist began to shovel the sugar into her tea "Delightful!"
"Oh not that- umm never mind have as much as you like."

By the time Darkmoon returned with dinner there was half as much sugar in the bowl as there had been before she left.
She raised an eyebrow as she picked up the bowl and glanced sideways at Shyshie.
"Um," she giggled "Seashadow and Shoremist have never had sugar before."
"What?"
"Oh, thank you Mrs. Darkmoon," Shoremist managed to take her eyes off the book to gush "It's amazing, I've never tasted something so wonderful!"
"Um, sure," Darkmoon began to back out of the room "You're welcome. I'm going to get ready for bed... Shyshie can show you to your rooms when you get tired. Okay Shy?"
"Okay Mama."

Shyshie was only reaching for her third book when she happened to glance out of the window dawn peeked through the storm tossed tree branches.
"Oh...no, I did it again."
"What's wrong Starwalk?" Shoremist asked, looking up from her book.
"It's morning."
"What?"
"It's morning, we read all night."
"Oh...isn't that what we're supposed to do?"
"No! We're supposed to sleep," Shyshie looked down at her book "But we can read all night sometimes."
"Well, I rather enjoyed it," Seashadow said, looking up with bloodshot eyes "Your mother was right, this story is amazing."
"Oh, Mama. She's going to be waking up soon," Shyshie stretched her aching shoulders and slipped out of her seat "I'm going to start breakfast."
"Oh, let me help! I like land food, it's so interesting."
"Don't you want to finish your book, Shoremist? You're almost done."
"Oh," Shoremist looked down guiltily at her book "Well, this is the second time I've read it through, so I know how it ends. Let me help!"
"Yes, Starwalk, she made us dinner, we'd like to make her breakfast."
"Alright. You can make the scones. That shouldn't be too hard."

Shoremist had the recipe book propped up in front of her as she added her ingredients to the mixing bowl.
She squinted as she read out the measurement for the sugar. No, that couldn't possibly be right. Only one cup? Wouldn't it taste better with two? Wouldn't it taste amazing with four? Wouldn't it be heavenly with six?

"Ahhh! WHAT ARE YOU DOING?"

Shoremist jumped just as she added the seven cup to the bowl and turned to find her sister and Shyshie staring at her in dead shock.
"Well...I...I thought it would taste better i-if I put more sugar in it."
"What is going on in here?" a half-awake voice growled from the door and Darkmoon walked in, squinting.
"Uh, Shoremist....put in a little too much sugar into the scones."
"Oh my word!"
"Um, a lot too much."
Darkmoon took a heavy breath "Alright, alright, I can fix this."

"You sure made a lot of scones," Martin said, munching on a third one from the plate piled high in front of him.
Darkmoon wrinkled her nose "It's a long story. I hope the Whisks and the Sincs haven't had breakfast yet.
Last edited by TheSongOfTheStars on Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheSongOfTheStars

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ranger of the North » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:57 am

Haha; glad we got to see more of the selkies XD
Ranger of the North

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby TheSongOfTheStars » Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:10 pm

Ice

Anders Lorange shivered as he watched the shores of his homeland drifting closer, the waves restless against beaten sands.
Twenty years his self imposed exile had lasted and now as it drew to a close, it was not by his choice,
but rather the tempestuous fickle favor of the Skwalite high nobility that drove him away,
back to the native land he'd forsaken.

He turned away with a disconsolate shudder and made his way down below the deck, to the cabin he shared with his travelling companion and assistant, who had spent the journey in perpetual misery, suffering from sea sickness and chills.

Though she'd never had any land beneath her feet besides the warm sands of Skwali, much less the creaking boards of a tossing wind blown ship, she'd still followed him over the ocean to a place totally foreign to her.

"Tanji? Tanji wake up, we're here."
The jackal whined sharply as Anders threw open the door, letting light from the hallway lantern come pouring into her dark adjusted eyes.
"I'm awake Lorange."
"Wonderful, bundled warm? It's much colder than you think."
"Yes, I have-"
"Ah, the luggage is in order, very good. Feeling better?"
"No."
"Oh dear, well you will be once we land." He held up his hand, which she leaned heavily on as she descended from the top bunk. "Now remember, most likely no one around here has ever seen a jackal before, so be prepared to either be called a strange looking coyote or asked what kind of fox you are. And don't get offended, they mean well, they're just not well educated."
"I will not be offended."
"Good and oh- I did tell you about the weather, right?"
"It is cold and it rains often."
"Right, but did I mention the snow and ice?"
"The what?"

He winced at his own oversight as they came onto deck and a freezing wind cut into them. "Snow is like-"
He stopped explaining as Tanji almost collapsed against him, her teeth clattering like clashing metal.
"You'll see soon enough," he muttered, steadying her "First let's find somewhere warm to spend the night."
"What is this... white...powder..." Tanji gasped as they disembarked the ship and merged with the crowds on the deck.
"That's snow."
"What is it?" Her foot slipped against a pile of the snow and she withdrew a half-step immediately "It's awful!"
"It's like white...fluffy...rain."
She stopped to stare at him, her brows creased in a dark frown "Anders Lorange-"
"I know, it's very strange. One of the reasons I left Navoire. Anyway come on. There used to be an tavern right up here, good rooms."

They stood in front of the candle shop, shivering while Anders muttered to himself.
"Twenty years is a very long t-time sir."
"Yes I know, I simply cannot believe that they turned a perfectly good tavern into a candle shop!"
Tanji closed her eyes and pulled her thin coat closer around her face "Can we please just go somewhere-"
"Yes, yes, of course, put I'm certain that they won't have nearly as good food, or as fair price-" Anders was cut off midsentence as he knocked into a heavily bundled figure with just their nose visible and their hat perched atop their hood.
"Watch where you're going young oaf!"
The figure paused and suddenly Anders realized that the hat was distinctly familiar "Captain Trevoiant?"
"Hello desert dweller," the captain pulled his hood back and tilted his head "What're you doing here? I thought you hated sea travel?"
"I loathe it. But I hardly had a choice," Anders dug his hands down into his pockets as he took a step back "Political unrest and whatnot making it rather uncomfortable in my little home."
"Too hot in the desert for you?" Martin raised an amused eyebrow.
"Indeed, I take it you live around here."
"Yes, just down the-"
"Oh yes, that's right, you 'inherited' my cousin's well...mansion."
"Yes," Martin laughed "Well, how long are you staying-?"
"That remains to be seen, but the first order of my business is finding a decent tavern to lodge myself and Tanji in."
"You brought Tanji with you?"
"Well, she wanted to come, but I'm afraid I didn't warn her of..."
"The below freezing temperatures?"
"Yes, seeing snow has been quite a shock to her," Anders turned "Where's she gone?"
"Over there."
Martin pointed to the jackal, who was shuffling towards the wind sheltered side of a building. On her way there she crossed a small patch of ice covered by snow.
Instantly her feet shot out from under her as she flung her arms wide and screeched. She continued to struggle, shouting towards Anders.
"The ground betrays me!"
Anders sighed "And she doesn't know what ice is."
Martin winced as he watched the jackal lunge facefirst into a snow drift to escape the slick patch in the ground.
"You're going to have fun here with her."

TheSongOfTheStars

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me