❛ the lazy writers ❜ V2

Are you a writer or a poet? Come and share your creations with us, or discuss writing techniques with others
Forum rules
Please only post your own original work, do not post poetry or stories which were written by someone else.

Re: ❛ the lazy writers ❜ V2

Postby ShinyMisty » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:02 am

Thank-you for the warm welcomes~! <3
I am still trying to get back into the grove of writing, so I haven't really gotten anything past plot writing and "I want this to happen." Which, I mean, it isn't bad for a start...but I just keep adding ideas and plot and never the actual story. Oops.
now I worry you guys'll not allow Fan Fictions...as that is how I get my writing mode back. Because I am NOT going right into my main story with this rock of a writing hand.

Ranger of the North wrote:
Does writing work for you if you don't post it?

At the moment...No but with a question mark? XD I write but just a big block of plot. Notes on what WILL happen story/character wise, and then I just sit there, I look at it, I might change a few things, and then I just turn around and go onto Youtube. If I actually try to write, it'll end up like Spongebob's essay on "what not to do at a stop light."

Some times I have the plot and such down, but I just can't figure out how to start it off. It is annoying. ;A; The big Ws come up a lot in my head. "Why are they doing this?" "How (that isn't a W!!) did they get here/find out about (plot point)" ext. and by that point I end up on Youtube. Oops.

BucketORandomness wrote:I either get stuck worldbuilding on my own or distracted like so. It's a miracle anything gets written over here..

...me. XD
I just keep making the world bigger, the characters deeper, the world around them more alive I forget that there is a story buried in that.

On the topic of names, I realized the way I name my characters more often than not is that I...throw letters together and see how it sounds. XD
In all seriousness, I look up what something that is closely related to the character and do a bit of research on that thing. (If a character is very loving, I'd look up things like "Flowers that mean love or motherly love" "Gods/Goddesses of love" "names that mean love" ext.) Whenever I find something I like, I put it down on paper or a sticky note online. After I feel comfortable with the list, I look at it and either (ether?) (See, this is why that person ate my bum, I get words like these messed up) chose what I like the most, mix some of the names together, or make something new(ish) around the list. (Hence me "throwing letters together and seeing how it sounds" bit).
I usually have the character made before I even get close to a name, and other times they go by a "code name" for the longest time until a name is figured out. Sometimes the code name just...becomes there name. (Code names are usually parts of the name of the character they were heavily based on. Or, on very rare occasions...ARE the names of the character they were heavily based on).

I end up having more fun making the characters than actually naming them. (I have some characters that have been in my head for years...and...still go by "that guy" or "this dude's dad" even though they are more important and would...need names when I finally get my story up and going).

One more question I do feel like I need to ask. You guys are alright with talk of story development...but for an RPG/Visual Novel...right? I always wanted to share the world I build in my head since I was young at LEAST six, seven years old but I felt it wouldn't be right to leave some characters/plots I loved having growing up to the wayside when I could, instead, have them be side plots or side quests in the bigger picture.
I wouldn't talk about anything in the gaming side of things, just story/character/plot/ext.
Imagexxx
x
x

ShinyMisty | She¤Her |
ImageImageImage
ShinyMisty

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby TheSongOfTheStars » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:05 am

There's a 'w' at the end of how
and for my dragon problem. I picked a few like themes, for the different types of dragons and named them in that line. Like there's one, that the theme is wolf, so names would be like Lorcan, Timbre, Tundra, Canis, ect

If crediting me for art/character design then please use TheSongOfTheStars on Toyhou.se
or FiveSecondsToFly on deviantart for anywhere else
TheSongOfTheStars

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ranger of the North » Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:17 pm

TheSongOfTheStars wrote:Oof, I do.
Does anyone have any suggestions for dragon names? I have a story but no names for any of the characters. I'm distinguishing between the various important characters with misspellings of the word character
Awesome! Your user there is FiveSecondsToFly, right? Let me know when you've set your project up!

Have you looked on BehindTheName? c:

ShinyMisty wrote:Thank-you for the warm welcomes~! <3
I am still trying to get back into the grove of writing, so I haven't really gotten anything past plot writing and "I want this to happen." Which, I mean, it isn't bad for a start...but I just keep adding ideas and plot and never the actual story. Oops.
now I worry you guys'll not allow Fan Fictions...as that is how I get my writing mode back. Because I am NOT going right into my main story with this rock of a writing hand.
Fanfictions are fine! Most of us have worked on fanfiction at one point or another XD

ShinyMisty wrote:
Ranger of the North wrote:
Does writing work for you if you don't post it?

At the moment...No but with a question mark? XD I write but just a big block of plot. Notes on what WILL happen story/character wise, and then I just sit there, I look at it, I might change a few things, and then I just turn around and go onto Youtube. If I actually try to write, it'll end up like Spongebob's essay on "what not to do at a stop light."

Some times I have the plot and such down, but I just can't figure out how to start it off. It is annoying. ;A; The big Ws come up a lot in my head. "Why are they doing this?" "How (that isn't a W!!) did they get here/find out about (plot point)" ext. and by that point I end up on Youtube. Oops.
Oh my gossshhhh I can barely plot and plan to save my life XD

ShinyMisty wrote:One more question I do feel like I need to ask. You guys are alright with talk of story development...but for an RPG/Visual Novel...right? I always wanted to share the world I build in my head since I was young at LEAST six, seven years old but I felt it wouldn't be right to leave some characters/plots I loved having growing up to the wayside when I could, instead, have them be side plots or side quests in the bigger picture.
I wouldn't talk about anything in the gaming side of things, just story/character/plot/ext.
Honestly we tend to be pretty chill. If it tells a story you can talk about it XD and even not, we have had problems with ooc (out of context) chats and almost having the thread locked before XD
The world is quiet here.
Ranger of the North

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby TheSongOfTheStars » Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:55 am

Yup, that's my name Ranger and my project's up.

If crediting me for art/character design then please use TheSongOfTheStars on Toyhou.se
or FiveSecondsToFly on deviantart for anywhere else
TheSongOfTheStars

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ranger of the North » Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:36 pm

TheSongOfTheStars wrote:Yup, that's my name Ranger and my project's up.
Invite sent!
The world is quiet here.
Ranger of the North

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby .Kira Nightblade. » Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:49 am

So.. I finally got enough ideas to get me past my writers block, but just now realized I have to finish something for a story contest xD
vibin
Sae the Fae#6926 on discord
.Kira Nightblade.

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Ranger of the North » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:11 pm

r i p
The world is quiet here.
Ranger of the North

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby harmonizing » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:46 am

i really wanna host a writing competition but nobody ever enters them from what i see :^(
ImageImageImage
.hi, im harmonizing,
.but i go by shiny! ✩
things i enjoy [in no
..particular order]:
..binging tv shows
strawberry lemonade
writing & vis. design
.human psychology
.......sleeping in
discord;
shiny#3376
tfm/a801;
shinymoo#0000

harmonizing

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby pdf » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:53 am

harmonizing wrote:i really wanna host a writing competition but nobody ever enters them from what i see :^(

i would say just try it ! worse case, you could always edit the rules later to include art submissions as well. i think the reason we don't see a lot of them is that the art competitions area is often very flooded with people looking specifically for OC art, where a writing contest wouldn't be in that same vein (aka people aren't willing to give up prizes for a writing contest, since there's no returning end to it).
pdf

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Postby Dama » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:31 am

hiya!
I recently got back into wanting to write, since the concept phase of game development this year has given me so many ideas that I really want to flesh out properly. I'm just struggling to find the actual motivation to just get down and write lol.

Besides that, how do you guys come up with your more-human character names? I always struggle with giving them good names that actually seem to work well. For a while they're given some generic placeholder-y ones that end up getting reused for every idea until I need to find something better, but even then I struggle to find something that sticks.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
there's room for us in heaven
we could stay this way forever

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

xx
xx

about me
• • •
listography
• • •
need help?
• • •