Something Out Of Nothing

Are you a writer or a poet? Come and share your creations with us, or discuss writing techniques with others
Forum rules
Please only post your own original work, do not post poetry or stories which were written by someone else.

Something Out Of Nothing

Postby SilverSamurai » Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:15 am

Tell me,
Would you kill to save a life?
Tell me,
Would you kill to prove you're right?
No matter how many deaths that I die I will never forget,

No matter how many lives that I live, I will never regret

Do you really want me dead, XXXXXXXXXXOr alive to torture for my sins?
Do you really want me dead, XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXOr alive to live a lie?

▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁
- In The Beginning
- A Missing Link
- Chapter 3
- Chapter 4
- Chapter 5

This is Luken's story. From the beginning, to a heartbreak, to where he is is now. This is fairly short, but will get longer as time goes on and more is developed.
Last edited by SilverSamurai on Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:00 am, edited 3 times in total.
SilverSamurai

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

In The Beginning

Postby SilverSamurai » Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:21 am

Life… didn’t always go as planned. Of course I knew that, but life always found a way to surprise me. At a young age, I learned that trust and friendship are just concepts in attempt to hide a weakness. If I am to survive, I can’t allow myself to be held down by those useless things.

Before I knew it, I found myself on my own. My parents had been hunted down and taken from us, leaving myself and my two brothers to survive on our own. Something stirred deep within me, riled some emotions I never knew I had. End it. End what? Everything. Everything…? I need to get away. From what? Away from here. I turned my back on my brothers and ran.

I lived alone for several years, finding shelter in a hollow cave overlooking a wooded area. I grew older, without direction or a purpose in life. Until I met her, that is. She had wandered off the path and found my by accident. I was surprised by her sudden intrusion, but I found myself unable to chase her off. She explained that she was just passing by, trying to find the most efficient way through the woods and stumbled upon my cave. The more she spoke, the more I felt myself falling for her. She was unlike any viscet I had ever seen; she had a tail that look as if it had been cut off. Worried, I asked her about it, only for her to laugh and shake it off, saying that she was born with it. I guess I shouldn’t be so surprised, as I bore horns on my head when most do not. How interesting…

She also wore beads around her neck and tail; moonstone that glittered under sunlight and seemed to glow in the moonlight, and in the center hung a fair sized moonstone. When asked about it, she held it tightly, saying she had found it on her travels and just had to bring it with her. What was it like, I wonder, to have something you cherish?

Just over a year past, and I had forgotten that trust and bonds were things to avoid. Instead, I relied on her. What a fool I am, but life is full of unexpected events. She had decided to stay, saying that living here was much more exciting than her home in a nearby village. She was my opposite; upbeat, cheerful and positive, always giving her best and knows her boundaries. I slightly envied her personality.

We would often go out exploring, trips to the riverbank in the center of the woods being our favorite. Slow, careful, carefree walks filled with laughter became all too common. We were both fit and in good health, so when it happened, I couldn’t find anything to blame.

She collapsed one morning; her body lay lifeless in the soft dirt as I tried to take in what was happening. Her eyes were glassy, but the sweet smile never leaving her face. I sunk to the ground, holding her close and trying to understand what went wrong, what could have been avoided, but could find nothing. I heard that voice again, stirring the all too familiar emotions I had forgotten about. End it. End what? Everything. Everything…? I put some pieces together, and assessed the situation.

She was a young adult, in perfect condition, with nothing holding her back. Except perhaps myself. No. She was free, and she knew it. I glanced over her now cold body, checking for any abnormalities. Her tail. Her unnatural docked tail, the only thing differentiating her from the rest of her species. Something clicked in my head, linking her sudden and untimely death to the strange mutation she carried. In my own passive gaze, I had failed to see the life in her eyes draining each morning, her smile hiding her inner struggle until it was too late.

I took the string of crystals from her, not wanting to forget the happiness I once knew. Stringing them around my neck, tail and horns, I knew what I had to do. I turned my back on her the same way I had on my brothers, and moved forward.
SilverSamurai

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

A Missing Link

Postby SilverSamurai » Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:47 am

The next year and a half was full of research; researching, hearing countless words by mouth, and note taking. I was intrigued by the mutations that some viscets possess. While most do not bare any change of body structure, some appear to have horns like myself, some having tufts of extra fur, some with different mane growth. But on rare occasions I found some viscets to have different eyes, a whole different mane growth, and, what I was most interested in, variations in tail structures.

Why do these mutations occur? This was my first question, but I answered it soon enough. Adaption, different environments, genes being passed on. But in some rare cases, I came upon something rather… strange. Some viscets seem to have these traits, inherited neither from its mother or father. A mutated gene? What caused it to mutate in such a way, and what does this do to their body structure? To their health?

I needed an answer. If I could find the cause of the random mutation, then perhaps I could prevent it. I could save lives. I began by seeking out viscets with rarely occurring mutations. I asked to chat, about anything and everything. Any information about themselves and their lifestyle might be key information, and each viscet interviewed was carefully documented in a journal. But one question was essential to the conversation each time: Was the mutation random, or was it inherited. I spent the next five years of my life gathering information, with the results being the same each time:

Mutations do not cause illness in viscets.

But I wouldn't accept it. There had to be something I was missing, something more. I could hear the voice again, and this time I listened.

End it. End what? Everything. Everything…?

I finally understood what it meant. Anger and frustration swirled within me, and I lift my head to the sky. A battle cry; this was just the beginning. I am going to find the reason for random mutations, and I am going to learn to control it. I clutch the glittering crystal in my claws, its surface rough and cold to the touch. I make a silent promise to myself, and I move forwards towards a new beginning.

Claws gently glide against smooth tiled floor, the only sound being soft thumps of paw pads calmly striding to the end of the narrow hall. I have spent months dedicating all my time and effort to building a research center. After long last, everything was in place. I let out a heavy sigh as I once over all the rooms in the hallway, a small smile across my face. It felt strange, to be happy. Memories swelled within me and tugged at some forgotten emotions, but I choked them down again. What does the past matter now? All I can do now is move on.

I made a room for myself of course, a private room for sleep and study, and for the first time I felt I had a home, somewhere where I belong. Soon the empty rooms filled with beds and tables, and I have recruited several viscets to work under me in the lab. These few are loyal, determined to work to our shared goal no matter the cost. Equipment was placed accordingly, and The Lab was set into motion: Find an origin to randomly acquired mutations. Find a way to predict them and collect data through research and samples.

I first needed a source of information; I hired someone dedicated to research and tracking viscets, to handle and provide information to the tracking team and send them out on missions to retrieve subjects for further examination and research. She was a young viscet, one who has been abandoned and left to die alone. I took her under my wing and gave her somewhere to live and grow; I gave her a purpose in life. She worked diligently and without complaint. She is known as Kozmotis.

I also recruited a viscet to track and retrieve subjects from their environment and bring them back here. He was perfect for his position; tall, thin but strong build and his pelt was as dark as a moonless night, making it easy to collect information up close and without being seen. His eyes were as cold as ice, showing no emotion under his blank and piercing gaze. His name is Hitori, and over time he has gotten quite good at his work.

A perfect team acquired, but work could not begin until I have grants and permissions. I needed a greedy hand to give me my first push. I needed to confront the King.
Last edited by SilverSamurai on Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
SilverSamurai

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me

Getting Started

Postby SilverSamurai » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:00 am

I made the day and a half journey to the kingdom on the far side of the country to meet with the King. He was an old, greedy viscet, always looking for new opportunities to expand his territory. Rumors had it that he was looking for an heir.

My request was granted, and I was face to face with the King himself by the end of the day. I bowed when I entered the room, and he gave a snort and tapped his knee. “What brings you to my castle?” he questioned, though his tone implied he was already irritated and eager to leave. “Your Highness,” I began, “I wish for your support in my business-“ but my sentence was cut short by the Kings barking laugh; he sneered, eyes gleaming in amusement.

“And why do you think I would help a viscet such as yourself?” He retorted, gesturing to my appearance. The bag I carried was worn, rough around the edges and dirty, and my fur was clumped and dirty in some spots from the long trip over as well. But I lowered my head anyway, and continued, “Sir, I have a particular interest in viscets with mutations. Where they come from and how they are randomly acquired.” The King suddenly seemed interested. Of course, that’s why I came to him of all viscets. Rumors far and wide have told of the King who looks at mutated viscets as a higher class, having more power in the more mutations one possesses on their body. Although the King himself bore no different qualities, the power and desire in his eyes reflect like a mirror. Surely, if the rumors are true, the one he chooses as heir will certainly display a rare and stunning appearance.

I continued when the King said nothing, “With your support, Your Highness, I wish to research and record data, hoping to one day control and generate mutations through artificial means.” I watched him carefully, not wanting to push my boundary, but he seemed to be running it over in his head. “Of course, viscets may be hurt or even killed in the process, but that is a risk I am willing to take. I will take full responsibility of what may come.” Almost as soon as I had finished my sentence, the King responded, “I will support your research.”

“S-sir?” I couldn’t believe it. That was almost too easy. My bag suddenly felt too heavy, all the papers and graphs I brought now only useless weight. “Forgive me, but I don’t believe you heard me correctly. I said-“ “I know what you said, what do you take me for?” The King snapped, his tongue laced with venom as his fur began to bristle. I bowed my head once again, mumbling an apology. The King continued, unable to contain his curiosity, “There is a danger to your research, it comes with any medical or gene research. However, that is a risk I am willing to take. Viscets that carry mutated genes are superior in appearance and even battle; imagine the armies we could create with your research!” The King was estatic.

I was grateful for the Kings support, but my confidence suggested otherwise. I spoke slowly and carefully, not wanting to show my insecurity. “Thank you, Your Highness. Your support is much appreciated. However, I can not guarantee the results of my research any time soon.” The Kings eyes narrowed, and I felt every hair on my body stand on end. He spoke lowly, “Then work until you can.” And just like that, the conversation was over. The king stood, his maroon robe shimmering across its velvety texture as he moved. He strode to the doorway but stopped to look over his shoulder at me, his eyes holding a dangerous glint in them. “Don’t disappoint me.”

I traveled back to The Lab, not sure if my legs were shaking from fatigue or excitement to finally begin my work. Hitori and Kozmotis greet me as I pass, but I was heading straight to my bed, ready for a well-earned rest.

For the first time in years, my sleep was plagued with dreams; rather, they felt more like nightmares. I was brought back to my days with my parents and brothers, and the love of my life. I’ve abandoned all of them, and I felt a part of my soul chip off each time I remembered that. Something deep within me is in conflict with my current progress, screaming to surface. What was it? Resentment? Sorrow? Regret…? No. This was not the time for that. Not with how far I’ve come. I woke with a start, a cold sweat clinging to the back of my neck, and most of my fur stood on end. It was still early, but the first rays of light were peaking over the horizon. I sighed, lying in my bed for a few moments longer to compose myself.

Was this really a good idea? Of course it is, I assured my self. What about all the viscets you’re going to use in the name of research and experimentation? Do they matter? I… It’s for the greater good. We can find a way to control it, reducing sudden and random deaths. It’s a necessary step going forward- is there anything you care about? My eyes narrow, and I can feel my eyes growing wet with tears. What do you-

“Luken, sir!” A voice called outside my door, a light knock came right after. I jumped upright, wiping my eyes and growling at myself. I cleared my throat before responding, faking sleep in my voice, “What is it?” It was Kozmotis, the viscet who leads research and documents, and soon to send out our first mission. She cracked open the door, her ears flat, “Sorry to have woken you, sir, but I gathered some information you might want to see.” I sighed, clearing my head from the voices that had crept up on me again.

“Isn’t it a bit early for that, Kozmotis?” I called out as I glance out my window, the sun now crawling slowly over the fields, turning everything it touched a reddish orange hue. “May I?” She called out, and I responded to her flatly, “Proceed” She stepped into the room, and I stretched my stiff muscles, standing as well. She bowered her head to me and handed me a stack of papers without a word. I nodded and took the papers from her, giving them a once over before looking back up to her. “What is this?” Kozmotis shifted a bit, but responded with confidence.

“I’ve been up for a while gathering information, and I’ve provided a list of case information that you may be interested in setting into motion.” I looked at the papers once again, each one their own topic. My eyes widened, amazed at her work even through we have only just begun. Each page was titled, contained a viscet, the mutations they had, and their location and date last seen. I reached out and ruffled Kozmotis’s head, a small smile across my face. “Good work, Kozmotis. Though this is quite enough for today, please relax for the rest of the day.” She quickly brushed off my hand, determination shone in her eyes. “I’m not a child any more, Luken. And this is the first day of research, how can you ask me to relax and take it off?”

Ah, of course. Kozmotis has been with me her whole life, and in recent years I have failed to see her grow from viscetling to a young adult. This must be how a parent feels, the voice taunted me again, and I snapped my hand away in response. I waved the papers in my hand, “yeah, but you have given us more than enough to work off of for a few days. You have worked hard, you deserve a rest.” She hesitated, but finally agreed. She ducked her head once again before stepping out of the room. “Thank you, sir. Your kindness is much appreciated.”

I ran my hand through my mane and looked to the papers once again. I flipped through them and began to pull a few of them to look into them further later. I grabbed the strings of crystals on my desk and tie them around my neck and horns, and set out for my first day of running The Lab.
SilverSamurai

My pets
My items
My wishlist
My gallery
My scenes
My dressups
Trade with me